You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Marcus Cooper
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
757-NINER

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Cooper is a boss, no need to hate on him. It will be interesting to see how he holds up against the top QBs that he faces the rest of the way. I have a feeling the secondary will have some rough spots in some of the upcoming games.

No where near a boss, as Peyton is abusing him right now, just like he did in the previous meeting and Rivers did last week. Like I said previously, he's a good young CB but he still needs a ton of work. He'll learn from a day like today but as the case with him and that entire KC secondary, you live by man coverage, you'll die by it as well.
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who said he doesn't need work? Whatever he does this season is a plus as he is a raw CB. Like I said, I expected the secondary to have some rough spots once they faced top notch QBs.

El ramster on the sig
49ersfan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

watching the highlights on NFLN. man cooper had a rough game. gave up 2 or 3 TD, and a big 77 yard pass to Thomas as well.

he played really well earlier in the year but he's been leveling off lately. still wish we kept him though, but i dont feel as bad as i used to.
rudyZ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
watching the highlights on NFLN. man cooper had a rough game. gave up 2 or 3 TD, and a big 77 yard pass to Thomas as well.

he played really well earlier in the year but he's been leveling off lately. still wish we kept him though, but i dont feel as bad as i used to.

Even with his big showing early on in the year, I wasn't sold on him yet. I saw a solid player who benifitted from an out-of-this-world pass rush. Good in press, because he's big, but not really as fast as people think he is. Some already hailed him as the next big thing, the next Sherman/Browner.. meh... I think people were just enamored with the fact that he was a bigger guy who could run, and happened to make a couple of plays early on. But he's a straight line type of athlete, in my opinion. He doesn't react fast enough on cuts and gets killed by double moves. I think he'll end up a system corner, to be honest. Not that it's a bad thing. But I doubt he'll really ever have an island named after him.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
757-NINER

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
49ersfan wrote:

Even with his big showing early on in the year, I wasn't sold on him yet. I saw a solid player who benifitted from an out-of-this-world pass rush. Good in press, because he's big, but not really as fast as people think he is. Some already hailed him as the next big thing, the next Sherman/Browner.. meh... I think people were just enamored with the fact that he was a bigger guy who could run, and happened to make a couple of plays early on. But he's a straight line type of athlete, in my opinion. He doesn't react fast enough on cuts and gets killed by double moves. I think he'll end up a system corner, to be honest. Not that it's a bad thing. But I doubt he'll really ever have an island named after him.

Spot on analysis, very well said....
AMG1713

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely wish we still had him, knowing the impending turnover our CB situation is about to go under... but the sting of him possibly being the next Richard Sherman has died down now that he's getting torched these last few games.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooper no doubt has struggled as of late and has a lot to learn, but that is okay. He is a RAW CB and no one expected him to do much this season. Once the Chiefs started to face elite QBs, they have dropped off big time. Cooper like many press CBs gets in trouble if he misses his jam. That happened a few times today where the WR got inside of him. I still expect him to be damn good in the next few years.

El ramster on the sig
big9erfan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

757-NINER wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Cooper is a boss, no need to hate on him. It will be interesting to see how he holds up against the top QBs that he faces the rest of the way. I have a feeling the secondary will have some rough spots in some of the upcoming games.

No where near a boss, as Peyton is abusing him right now, just like he did in the previous meeting and Rivers did last week. Like I said previously, he's a good young CB but he still needs a ton of work. He'll learn from a day like today but as the case with him and that entire KC secondary, you live by man coverage, you'll die by it as well.

He really shouldn't be starting, but KC just has no one better to start instead.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooper is the NB, but the ENTIRE secondary is struggling. This is similar to what happened to our secondary late in the season last year. Obviously ours was still a bit better, but everyone was getting toasted.

El ramster on the sig
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Cooper is the NB, but the ENTIRE secondary is struggling. This is similar to what happened to our secondary late in the season last year. Obviously ours was still a bit better, but everyone was getting toasted.

true but he is the main problem
their in man a lot. and hes getting beat simple as that. today it was evident. decker was just getting on top of him.
there safetys need to pick it up too. they need to help their corners at

hes started off on fire. and has taken a semi dive.
he just needs to be average for them. and he hasnt been playing like that. once houston comes back, it should be a big improvement as well. theyre not getting any pressure. devito out hurt too

new sig... sorry alex
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Cooper was allowing some catches even WITH Houston. But yeah, he needs to pick it up. His technique is starting to get a bit sloppy as he opens his hips up way too much. Again though, whatever he does this season is gravy. No one expected him to do anything but in a few years I expect big things from him.

El ramster on the sig
757-NINER

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't want to start another thread on another player so figured I'd put it here. Michael Thomas, who the Dolphins plucked off our PS Monday, had the game-sealing int of Brady today, not to mention some clutch PDs down the stretch for the 'Fins as the nickelback. So is Baalke getting a little too "cute" with his personnel decisions? Hard to understand how you like Thomas so much, you gave him a raise 3 weeks ago. But when the opportunity to place him on the 53 comes, you choose some O-Lineman from Seattle's PS over a guy who had been getting rave reviews from the staff on the scout team all year. In Baalke, we trust though so...
49ersfan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

757-NINER wrote:
Didn't want to start another thread on another player so figured I'd put it here. Michael Thomas, who the Dolphins plucked off our PS Monday, had the game-sealing int of Brady today, not to mention some clutch PDs down the stretch for the 'Fins as the nickelback. So is Baalke getting a little too "cute" with his personnel decisions? Hard to understand how you like Thomas so much, you gave him a raise 3 weeks ago. But when the opportunity to place him on the 53 comes, you choose some O-Lineman from Seattle's PS over a guy who had been getting rave reviews from the staff on the scout team all year. In Baalke, we trust though so...

One thing's for sure, we're great at selecting/coaching up DB's.

But yes, Michael Thomas>Ryan Seymour or even Jon Baldwin. We IR'ed Carradine the same day we lost Thomas, so we had the opportunity to keep him if we wanted him.

Last edited by 49ersfan on Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
rudyZ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

757-NINER wrote:

We don't know the details. Maybe Thomas wanted a chance to play. Maybe other teams inquired about him in a limited role, and he preferred to stay with us, but when the dolphins came looking, he knew he would have an opportunity to play. Sometimes GMs have to do player service, agent service, by letting the player have an opportunity. Sure, we could have stashed him on the 53 man roster, but he wouldn't have had a chance to play. So, my guess is that there was some kind of agreement between Baalke and Thomas. Anyways, I'm glad he played well today. He seems to be a great guy and a decent player. He was just never destined to have a significant role with us.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
757-NINER

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
757-NINER wrote:

We don't know the details. Maybe Thomas wanted a chance to play. Maybe other teams inquired about him in a limited role, and he preferred to stay with us, but when the dolphins came looking, he knew he would have an opportunity to play. Sometimes GMs have to do player service, agent service, by letting the player have an opportunity. Sure, we could have stashed him on the 53 man roster, but he wouldn't have had a chance to play. So, my guess is that there was some kind of agreement between Baalke and Thomas. Anyways, I'm glad he played well today. He seems to be a great guy and a decent player. He was just never destined to have a significant role with us.

You make a valid point. Just sucks to see a guy I had high hopes for down the road, already makkng plays for another team in less than a week. But like you said, we dont know the whole story so guess we can continue to marvel at how Baalke and the scouting department continue to find gems through the UDFA route.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: