Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Marcus Cooper
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
757-NINER

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Marcus Cooper Reply with quote

Sucks to see him playing so well for the Chiefs today. Not saying he deserved a spot on the 53, because he didn't. I thought both he and Morris would clear waivers easily. But I had high hopes for him developing for a year on the PS with Morris and looking to contribute next year. Baalke may need to re-think his WR evaluations, but he defintely knows defense and how to spot the talent on that side of the ball. And it with have been nice to have started 2014 with a young nucleus of Cully, Morris, and Cooper. What could have been...
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't remind me, I was his biggest supporter and desperately wanted him to make the 53 man roster. You just don't let a CB with that kind of size/athleticism go even if we were good at that position.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Don't remind me, I was his biggest supporter and desperately wanted him to make the 53 man roster. You just don't let a CB with that kind of size/athleticism go even if we were good at that position.

Meh, his play didn't warrant a spot on the 53. Sure I LOVED his potential, but just going off of pre-season play, he wasn't really impressive. Morris played better IMO. I was more worried about Morris getting plucked away. He had the better tape and with his wheels, I thought he would be more coveted.
Forge

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned this in the game day thread. He really did play fantastic today.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

757-NINER wrote:
Meh, his play didn't warrant a spot on the 53. Sure I LOVED his potential, but just going off of pre-season play, he wasn't really impressive. Morris played better IMO. I was more worried about Morris getting plucked away. He had the better tape and with his wheels, I thought he would be more coveted.

How do you figure his play wasn't impressive? It is not like Cooper played THAT much, but he only allowed like 2 catches in 45 coverage snaps. You can't make any claims that he wasn't impressive or he was great from his little time of seeing the field. But again, when he did play, he was pretty much invisible which is a good thing for a CB.

And you bring up Morris? He played MUCH less than Cooper but had a few good plays.

Cooper is a RAW CB with a 6'2 frame and he runs a 4.4 40. From all the reports, he started to really pick it up late in camp. Once he learned all the defensive schemes, he started to play with more confidence. Knowing the CB situation for next year and beyond, the team should have kept him plain and simple. Matt Maiocco reported we were trying to hide him and not give him much time in preseason. The problem? He got his most playing time against the Chiefs and played well.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather have Cooper than Stupar (been saying that since cutdown day) or Celek/Harper.

Brown, Aso, Brock are all UFA's next year. Rogers will probably be cut. We'll have Culliver coming off an ACL tear and maybe Cox or Morris (our bottom 2 CB's on the depth chart).

We made a mistake cutting him, but what are you gona do.
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
757-NINER

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
757-NINER wrote:

How do you figure his play wasn't impressive? It is not like Cooper played THAT much, but he only allowed like 2 catches in 45 coverage snaps. You can't make any claims that he wasn't impressive or he was great from his little time of seeing the field. But again, when he did play, he was pretty much invisible which is a good thing for a CB.

And you bring up Morris? He played MUCH less than Cooper but had a few good plays.

Cooper is a RAW CB with a 6'2 frame and he runs a 4.4 40. From all the reports, he started to really pick it up late in camp. Once he learned all the defensive schemes, he started to play with more confidence. Knowing the CB situation for next year and beyond, the team should have kept him plain and simple. Matt Maiocco reported we were trying to hide him and not give him much time in preseason. The problem? He got his most playing time against the Chiefs and played well.

Regardless of the stats, he wasn't ready. His footwork was awful and his technique needed major work. I saw the potential but from what I saw from him(and I watched all the young CBs closely), he was the one who needed the most work. Morris played less but physically, he had better feet and hips. Cooper was a WR at Rutgers before he switched to defense so he needed more time IMO. Now hindsight is always 20/20 and him coming on late is probably accurate because he did look his best versus San Deigo but I didn't think he warranted a spot on the 53. Now we can all argue we didn't need to keep 5 ILBs or Ventrone or whoever but no one was throwing their arms up in the because he was cut. They gambled and he was picked up. Same with Grey. Happens every year. You win some, you lose some. I still think they should bring back Lowell Rose, who I liked even more than Cooper. He's still out there and maybe they bring him back next year and see if he makes the team.

But back to Cooper, he look good today but I don't think anyone, including the Chiefs thought he would fair that well out the gate. Like you said, his size and athleticism were a huge attraction but the same could be said for a guy like Lockette. Sometimes it translate, sometimes it doesn't. But on this team, I still think guys like Brock, Cox, and Wright are better at this point in time. I just really liked him for the future.
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree, there were plenty of people on this board that were ticked when Cooper was cut.

He is a raw CB, so no one expected perfection from day one. What he does this year is irrelevant, as it was all about the future with this guy. When you have a CB with this type of speed and athleticism, you just have to take a risk with him. Coaching at this level does wonders for young CBs, and we have one of the best in the business. Sherman was a good CB at Stanford, but now he is arguably the BEST in just a few years. Asomugha was a raw player that made a position transition himself, and after two or three years he was among the best in the game.

Lockette definitely had great tangibles himself, but he wasn't a rookie like Cooper. He had his time to show growth but never did so. For as raw as Cooper is, he still performed well in preseason and improved greatly from day 1 of camp to the last day. That is usually the case with raw, high potential players.

Like 49ersfan said, nothing we could do about it now.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great game by Marcus Cooper

*sigh*
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, first the TD in the first quarter, and now possibly the game clinching INT.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Wow, first the TD in the first quarter, and now possibly the game clinching INT.

And they're leaving him one on one too

new sig... sorry alex
Forge

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what a Chief's fan said in the GDT in the gen forum, he's basically taken the nickel CB spot from Daunta Robinson. That's pretty impressive. Robinson could never be confused with a very good CB currently, but he's a below average to average cornerback.

49ersfan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Baalke's taken over (April 2010-current) i think this might be worst roster cut we've ever made after TC/Preseason, etc. I was peeved as hell when we cut him and he's been great on special teams and defense.

And in Baalke's overall tenure, if Cooper keeps playing well, this could be Baalke's 2nd worst move in general (#1 being AJ Jenkins).
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
simonwayne

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was coming in here to thank you guys for Cooper and saw this thread..

Laughing

He saved the game for us last week vs NY. Had we stuck with Dunta on the outside we very well could have lost, Dunta was getting torched every play.

And now this week he had a beastly game. He played on the outside a lot and we moved Flowers to nickel. Thats right, this man is so talented he forced us to move Brandon Flowers inside... lol. Although we really just had Flowers play nickel mostly for matchup reasons vs Tennessee.

Cooper is my new favorite player. He's a beast.
Forge

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonwayne wrote:
I was coming in here to thank you guys for Cooper and saw this thread..

Laughing

He saved the game for us last week vs NY. Had we stuck with Dunta on the outside we very well could have lost, Dunta was getting torched every play.

And now this week he had a beastly game. He played on the outside a lot and we moved Flowers to nickel. Thats right, this man is so talented he forced us to move Brandon Flowers inside... lol. Although we really just had Flowers play nickel mostly for matchup reasons vs Tennessee.

Cooper is my new favorite player. He's a beast.

I posted a "you're welcome" to chiefs fans in the GDT in NFL Gen...jakuvious was nice enough to say thank you afterward Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: