Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why the Eagles are NOT trading for a safety
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnyEagles

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Why the Eagles are NOT trading for a safety Reply with quote

I know.....I feel everyone's pain.....the scrap heap the Eagles have at the safety position is downright atrocious.....

So why the hell isnt Howie making any moves??

I searched around to find out why and stumbled upon this article that helped me understand why. I think alll of you should read it.....it helped me in this time of poor secondary play....

http://the700level.com/eagles/why-arent-the-eagles-trading-for-player-z-from-mars/
RollEagles

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These threads are my fave.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer to that question is simple.... who would they trade for? Byrd isn't going anywhere, and all the other young safeties have already found teams to play for. Safety might be the thinnest position in the entire NFL at this point, and there is just no one to bring in.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sense sarcasm.....
JohnyEagles

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW this thread wasnt a question....I found out why they are not going to trade through this article....
AZ_Eaglesfan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnyEagles wrote:
BTW this thread wasnt a question....I found out why they are not going to trade through this article....

Then what was the point of the thread Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZ_Eaglesfan wrote:
The answer to that question is simple.... who would they trade for? Byrd isn't going anywhere, and all the other young safeties have already found teams to play for. Safety might be the thinnest position in the entire NFL at this point, and there is just no one to bring in.

This.

And we are now 4 weeks into the regular season. Not a whole lot of trades tend happen during the season. The only shot we could potentially have is at TJ Ward from CLE if they decide to go through with a fire sale but the likelihood of that happening is probably less than 1%.

I don't think anyone expects anything to happen right now. Once the offseason comes, then we can talk.

2013 Philadelphia Eagles NFC East Champs
JohnyEagles

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZ_Eaglesfan wrote:
JohnyEagles wrote:

I wanted to share the article to help us understand why they are not going to trade....cause Im pissed we havent signed or picked a legit safety in years.....
JayAp07

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnyEagles wrote:
AZ_Eaglesfan wrote:
JohnyEagles wrote:

I wanted to share the article to help us understand why they are not going to trade....cause Im pissed we havent signed or picked a legit safety in years.....

Well it's not for a lack of trying. Nate Allen and Jarrett were supposed to be the guys but that didn't work out. We spent 2 2nd round picks on safeties. Blame the talent evaluators.

I really wish we would have just drafted Thomas instead of Graham. Still makes me sick to this day. I was so happy when we traded up and was 90% sure it was for Thomas. I then collapsed to the floor and laid there in shock for a good 20 minutes. Laughing

2013 Philadelphia Eagles NFC East Champs
Phire

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's simple.
The Eagles don't really want to win right now.

Now, I understand that statement is somewhat controversial. Chip will keep saying he'll win as many games as possible. Howie will say the team is going to win as many games as possible. And the players will obviously play every game to win, as their jobs are on the line.

But by fielding an inferior team it pretty much guarantees we'll be bad in some ways. By not trading for a safety, or ensuring corner depth, or finding an adequate replacement for Maclin, it gives the best hidden recourse for those wanting a better draft position.

Now I'm NOT suggesting the front office is sitting there behind the scenes scheming ways to eviscerate the season. We want to be competitive, we just don't want to be overly competitive. Such an approach helps us in the future.

People see the Colts trade and think "why can't we!" Well, they're trying to win now. We're not. There are certain advantages to a conservative approach that allows us to evaluate/pool resources, while the other approach gives immediate relief but potential future stress.

So why aren't the Eagles making trades to improve the team? They don't want an improved team at the moment. They'll try to compete with what they got.

P.S. I hope the article isn't just some way to fish clicks and page views. Not familiar with that site.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post your articles in the news thread or whatever, don't make threads just for the heck of it. Or if you do at least make sure they're funny

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
marky_b27

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Post your articles in the news thread or whatever, don't make threads just for the heck of it. Or if you do at least make sure they're funny

Who let grumpy carebear out of the Dane land???

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Marky > Foles
Nabbs4u

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayAp07 wrote:
JohnyEagles wrote:
AZ_Eaglesfan wrote:
JohnyEagles wrote:

Well it's not for a lack of trying. Nate Allen and Jarrett were supposed to be the guys but that didn't work out. We spent 2 2nd round picks on safeties. Blame the talent evaluators.

I really wish we would have just drafted Thomas instead of Graham. Still makes me sick to this day. I was so happy when we traded up and was 90% sure it was for Thomas. I then collapsed to the floor and laid there in shock for a good 20 minutes. Laughing

First let me be very clear. Yes without a doubt Earl Thomas would be a upgrade over Nate Allen! However let's realize he would not have been as successful in "this" defense the last 3 years being surrounded by incompetence at other positions. Monumental difference in talent when going from Chancellor to Coleman, Sherman to Nnamdi and Browner to DRC. All three of those players not only do their jobs but none of them shy away from contact like a liitle girl. Which allows Thomas to play open and free in coverage.

I have no doubt Thomas as a Eagle would be just as scrutinized for his play thus far as Allen ,Graham and others. Knowing our luck he would have been the one injured as a eagle and Allen/Graham stayed healthy. Rolling Eyes Just saying.

Bird Watch:
Jeremy Maclin: 6 Gm/ 27 Rec/ 445 Yds/ 4 TD/ 16.5 YPC/
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marky_b27 wrote:
RainbowCarebear wrote:

Who let grumpy carebear out of the Dane land???

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'm not even grumpy.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
marky_b27

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Allen front - the fact we have gone through 4 defensive coordinators in his four years in the league isn't exactly a great way to start your career.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Marky > Foles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: