Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Darius Slay's struggles
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Darius Slay's struggles Reply with quote

Detroit Lions CB Darius Slay keeps positive despite being benched

Quote:
Slay, a second-round draft pick this year, went from starting the first two games and getting benched midgame both times to not starting and playing no defensive snaps Sunday at Washington.

Quote:
I took it serious, but its a team effort here, he said. And I knew I was going to end up with a potential look; my name could be called at any time, so I had to game-plan seriously just as always, like I was starting. So it wasnt a big issue.

Quote:
Slay found out last Tuesday that veteran Rashean Mathis would take his starting spot at right-side cornerback, which Slay said helped him get used to the idea.

Coach Jim Schwartz has continued to profess his belief in Slays bright future, saying Slay just needs to learn his position better.

They tell me the same thing, Slay said. Its a learning process. Its just like I learned with the zone concepts. They say Im a great man player, but Ive got to learn the concepts of how to match players better and all that. So right now Im just learning, watching Shean and getting better.

Quote:
Slays positive demeanor is uncanny for a 22-year-old. He hasnt shown any frustration or anger publicly about his very public job-performance reviews that occur on television in front of millions of viewers.

I think its just built in me to be like that, Slay said. I cant really explain it because Ive been doing it for a long time. Ive had a lot of adversity.

Theres always a time you hit bottom. But theres always a time you can rise. So Im going to wait for my time to come and take advantage of it.

I dont feel like Im at the bottom now because Im in the 2% of the NFL, he said, so aint too many people been here.

Quote:
According to the NCAA, about 1.6% of NCAA senior players get drafted by NFL teams.

What do you guys think about Slay's play so far? Do you think the Lions are handling him the right way?

What would you do with Slay?

What are your thoughts on the whole situation? What do you think Slay's role in the future will be for the Lions? What's his realistic ceiling?

Team Stylish313
cibowilson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Darius Slay's struggles Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:

Quote:
Slay, a second-round draft pick this year, went from starting the first two games and getting benched midgame both times to not starting and playing no defensive snaps Sunday at Washington.

Quote:
I took it serious, but its a team effort here, he said. And I knew I was going to end up with a potential look; my name could be called at any time, so I had to game-plan seriously just as always, like I was starting. So it wasnt a big issue.

Quote:
Slay found out last Tuesday that veteran Rashean Mathis would take his starting spot at right-side cornerback, which Slay said helped him get used to the idea.

Coach Jim Schwartz has continued to profess his belief in Slays bright future, saying Slay just needs to learn his position better.

They tell me the same thing, Slay said. Its a learning process. Its just like I learned with the zone concepts. They say Im a great man player, but Ive got to learn the concepts of how to match players better and all that. So right now Im just learning, watching Shean and getting better.

Quote:
Slays positive demeanor is uncanny for a 22-year-old. He hasnt shown any frustration or anger publicly about his very public job-performance reviews that occur on television in front of millions of viewers.

I think its just built in me to be like that, Slay said. I cant really explain it because Ive been doing it for a long time. Ive had a lot of adversity.

Theres always a time you hit bottom. But theres always a time you can rise. So Im going to wait for my time to come and take advantage of it.

I dont feel like Im at the bottom now because Im in the 2% of the NFL, he said, so aint too many people been here.

Quote:
According to the NCAA, about 1.6% of NCAA senior players get drafted by NFL teams.

What do you guys think about Slay's play so far? Do you think the Lions are handling him the right way?

What are your thoughts on the whole situation? What do you think Slay's role in the future will be for the Lions? What's his realistic ceiling?

He seems like a good kid w/ a good head on his shoulders. I honestly don't think he was struggling as much as they make it out to be. Mathis has played well, but he, like most CBs has been beat. And beat deep. I don't see why he doesn't rotate out more w/ Slay.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its hard to say at this point. Its a bit of a concern with how many defensive backfield players have been drafted or tried out with the Lions yet they seem to have great difficulty finding talent.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slay has absolutely made plays, but he's raw. I like the kid.

Team Stylish
duanegarrison09

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Darius Slay's struggles Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I think he was a good draft selection but is making mistakes. Mathis is playing well enough to allow Slay time to watch and learn. In the future, he'll be a reliable starter and the Hall of Fame is his ceiling. Liar
lions on top

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for having Mathis on this team but this is where the organization always seems to go wrong. Since the play of Mathis and Slay has pretty much been a straight forward wash with both players having their successes and struggles I think Slay should be the one gaining valuable playing time out there. I understand wanting Mathis' experience on the field later in games but it doesn't have to come at the cost of Slay's growth.

Signing stopgap players (like Mathis) and taking away countless snaps from players like Slay, Green and Greenwood (who left because of situations like this) is a terrible idea. A year down the road Mathis won't be anywhere close to being on this team and as a result Slay and Green will still be raw with lack of game action. They'll be given an opportunity and show understandable mental errors from not having experience. Since they'll show that rawness we'll go out and sign another stopgap corner such as Lacy, Bartell or Mathis to take their spots. Eventually the young guys will fade away without getting an opportunity and will be cut or not have their contracts renewed.

I understand not just marching Slay or Green out there if they're going to be burned every play at the expense of this "experience" I've been so highly touting but when option B is a player, who at least in on the field play, offers very similar liabilities with a much smaller ceiling I don't see the point of handing over ALL the snaps.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lions on top wrote:
I'm all for having Mathis on this team but this is where the organization always seems to go wrong. Since the play of Mathis and Slay has pretty much been a straight forward wash with both players having their successes and struggles I think Slay should be the one gaining valuable playing time out there. I understand wanting Mathis' experience on the field later in games but it doesn't have to come at the cost of Slay's growth.

Signing stopgap players (like Mathis) and taking away countless snaps from players like Slay, Green and Greenwood (who left because of situations like this) is a terrible idea. A year down the road Mathis won't be anywhere close to being on this team and as a result Slay and Green will still be raw with lack of game action. They'll be given an opportunity and show understandable mental errors from not having experience. Since they'll show that rawness we'll go out and sign another stopgap corner such as Lacy, Bartell or Mathis to take their spots. Eventually the young guys will fade away without getting an opportunity and will be cut or not have their contracts renewed.

I understand not just marching Slay or Green out there if they're going to be burned every play at the expense of this "experience" I've been so highly touting but when option B is a player, who at least in on the field play, offers very similar liabilities with a much smaller ceiling I don't see the point of handing over ALL the snaps.

Mathis has actually been our best corner thus far.
lions on top

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
lions on top wrote:

Mathis has actually been our best corner thus far.

None of our corners have been very special, at all. All of them have had their fair share of good plays and getting burnt deep. Going against Ponder, Carson and a 75% RGIII aren't exactly QBs that should be testing our secondary either.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny people flipped when I said he played poorly and now get benched

Bright future still possible but highly overrated early by fans

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:

Nobody expected him to come in and set the world on fire right away. QBs are completing 57% of passes to Slay's coverage with 94.3 QBR and has given up 0 TD's. Let's compare...

Dee Milliner:
33% completion with a 92.6 QBT to his coverage. Has given up 2 TD's.

DJ Hayden:
76% completion with a 103 QBR. Has given up 0 TD's.

Desmond Trufant:
68% completion with a 87 QBR. Has given up 0 TD's.

Xavier Rhodes:
50% completion with a 60 QBR. Has given up 0 TD's.

Jonathon Banks:
67% completion with a 112 QBR. Has given up 1 TD.

David Amerson:
50%; 96 QBR; 0 TD

So Rhodes is the only rookie CB that has been substantially better than Slay. Everyone else has been facing the same rookie troubles.
Rockcity

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What he can't play n area only the man? That don't sound good...hope he just needs time but I expect more. Shoot they started green last year..maybe bc of injury but still. He started out aweful to but with playing time he got better...you can't give him some time? How's he learning anything sitting. He needs pt to correct thinhs not watching. Ill be shocked if mathis makes it half a year. Better coach him up now
detfan782004

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:

Nobody expected him to come in and set the world on fire right away. QBs are completing 57% of passes to Slay's coverage with 94.3 QBR and has given up 0 TD's. Let's compare...

Dee Milliner:

DJ Hayden:

Desmond Trufant:

Xavier Rhodes:

Jonathon Banks:

David Amerson:
50%; 96 QBR; 0 TD

So Rhodes is the only rookie CB that has been substantially better than Slay. Everyone else has been facing the same rookie troubles.

So he's best turd of rookie bunch. Best turd in toilet bowl still a turd. Doesn't mean he isn't struggling. I like his up side but struggling is struggling.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's struggled, but so has Mathis, and Houston. Should we bench them too? We haven't gotten burned by Slays poor play. There is no reason to NOT play him. If you don't want to start him... fine. If you want Mathis is late in games... fine. But play the damn kid and let him learn. That's how you develop players. Maybe this is why so many of our draft picks don't pan out. We'd rather run average vets into the ground, then attempt to stick with an average young guy.
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:

Dee Milliner:

DJ Hayden:

Desmond Trufant:

Xavier Rhodes:

Jonathon Banks:

David Amerson:
50%; 96 QBR; 0 TD

So he's best turd of rookie bunch. Best turd in toilet bowl still a turd. Doesn't mean he isn't struggling. I like his up side but struggling is struggling.

Rarely to rookie CBs make impacts. I wouldnt call him a struggling CB. I'd call him a rookie CB playing like a rookie CB.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:

Dee Milliner:

DJ Hayden:

Desmond Trufant:

Xavier Rhodes:

Jonathon Banks:

David Amerson:
50%; 96 QBR; 0 TD

Rarely to rookie CBs make impacts. I wouldnt call him a struggling CB. I'd call him a rookie CB playing like a rookie CB.

No matter how u paint it starting CB who was struggling.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: