Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Texans workouts
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amazingandre

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Texans workouts Reply with quote

Quote:
The Texans worked out cornerback Ras-I Dowling along with seven other players, according to a league source.

Dowling was a second-round pick in 2010 by the New England Patriots. His early struggles led to his release this past preseason and he has been unable to find a team to latch on to since.

Dowling played his college ball at Virginia, where he was named a second-team All-American in 2010.

The Texans also tried out Jalil Brown, Eric Hagg, Mario Butler, Myron Lewis, Locyce Means, Steven Terrell and Josh Victorian.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Texans-work-out-RasI-Dowling.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intriguing burner who ruptured his patellar tendon after 2 games as a rookie, then tore his quad tendon after 6 in 2012. Basically the same injury and when a young track guy shreds the strong tendons without much contact, my roid buzzer starts going off as that just doesn't happen without some underlying weakness. Since speed was his calling card, if he can't still demonstrate his 4.4 wheels, I don't see much value and clearly the Pats were fed up enough to toss out a high 2nd rounder after only 2 years and they aren't exactly deep at CB.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when I was really high on Dowling coming out of the draft, but he just cant seem to stay healthy. I guess we can give him a look and hope he stays healthy, but I wont count on it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antione Winfield is in town! This is EXACTLY what we need at nickel! Seal the deal Rick!

Texansfan713

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
Antione Winfield is in town! This is EXACTLY what we need at nickel! Seal the deal Rick!

Wait, he came in for a workout or is he just in Houston by chance? If it's the former then Rick does need to seal the deal!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:

I just saw this over at rotoworld.... would love to add Winfield to our secondary. One of the best DBs in the league last year (and for most of his career).
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot express how critical this signing could be for the Texans. Until Brady and Manning retire, a ticket to the Super Bowl will only be punched by teams that can slow them down and covering the slot is essential to everything they do. We could have the strongest starting 11 on the planet and it won't matter for squat against teams that operate out of 3 Wr sets as a base formation because Brice McCain and Brendan Harris are VASTLY inferior to the targets they are asked to cover out of the slot and let's go ahead and include the Colts with Luck and Hilton in that group. You can complain about Schaub all you want, but there aren't many QBs on the planet that are going to be able to hang with a team that scores on 4/6 drives to open games the way the Pats did twice last year. We hung with the Broncos early last year, but Welker is over there now. We won't be in a position to get to a Super Bowl if Schaub and the o-line don't play better than they did this week, but without question, our inability to cover slot receivers will be THE thing that keeps us from a Super Bowl this season and it would be an absolute crime to not pursue a player like Winfield who was still one of the best CBs in the league last year.

BTW - Let's not confuse his desire to get out of Minny and subsequent "retirement" from the Seahawks as indicative of some drastic dropoff in his abilities. He's not as good as Sherman, Browner, and Thurmond that's it. Guess what, Bernard Hopkins would be the 4th best WR on the Broncos right now and Winfield didn't want to be a bit player at this point of his career and the Seahawks didn't want to pay him to do so. Winfield would walk into Texans camp as one of the top 2 or 3 CBs we've EVER had here, even at 36. I see zero downside of bringing him in. I doubt anyone would even notice if we tried to slide Pleasant or Bouye to the PS and frankly I wouldn't have a problem in the world with cutting bait on Harris or sending Montgomery to the IR.

Texans02

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winfield would be a huge addition. Not sure which roster move to make to get him in, but I'm sure Smith can figure it out. Man, I hope this happens.

Yes please!
Quint

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be dancing in the streets if we get Winfield, hopefully he wants a shot at a ring Cool
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texans02 wrote:
Winfield would be a huge addition. Not sure which roster move to make to get him in, but I'm sure Smith can figure it out. Man, I hope this happens.

I'd probably say bumping Tuggle to PS

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
31 tot, 0 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
treece300e

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Texans02 wrote:

"Bumping Tuggles" sounds like a euphemism for something. Dancing
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treece300e wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
Texans02 wrote:

Nice!
One of my favorite pastimes is to have players stand next to each other on the sidelines to create sentences like those fridge magnet poem kits. Some of my current wish list pics.

Tuggle - A. Johnson - 4 - Pleasant - Wood
Watt - A. Johnson
A. Johnson -Wood - Tate - Pleasant
Bullock - Cushing
Mercilus - Swearinger
Quessenberry - Gardner
Posey - Gardner
C. White - Bouye - Crick - D. Brown - Manning
Harris - Crick
K. Martin - Braman

Back on task...
I don't want to see Tuggle exposed to waivers & PS just yet. Sharpton's injury history is just too extensive to put ourselves in a position where Mays is playing 80% of snaps or Dobbins is playing ILB. I noticed Dobbins didn't even play but 4 ST's snaps last week which either makes him expendable or essential depending on whether he was on coverage teams for the Doss return. Tuggle has 38 ST snaps and strikes me as a future ST captain type as a former QB.

Montgomery, C. White and Quess have yet to see the field and Gardner has 2 snaps. McClain and Jamison barely play either so, D-line or O-line strike me as the logical areas to cut. C. White has PS written all over him and Montgomery needs to be an offseason project and should have punched his ticket to the IR resort a month ago.

kenney

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
treece300e wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
Texans02 wrote:

Nice!
One of my favorite pastimes is to have players stand next to each other on the sidelines to create sentences like those fridge magnet poem kits. Some of my current wish list pics.

Tuggle - A. Johnson - 4 - Pleasant - Wood
Watt - A. Johnson
A. Johnson -Wood - Tate - Pleasant
Bullock - Cushing
Mercilus - Swearinger
Quessenberry - Gardner
Posey - Gardner
C. White - Bouye - Crick - D. Brown - Manning
Harris - Crick
K. Martin - Braman

Back on task...
I don't want to see Tuggle exposed to waivers & PS just yet. Sharpton's injury history is just too extensive to put ourselves in a position where Mays is playing 80% of snaps or Dobbins is playing ILB. I noticed Dobbins didn't even play but 4 ST's snaps last week which either makes him expendable or essential depending on whether he was on coverage teams for the Doss return. Tuggle has 38 ST snaps and strikes me as a future ST captain type as a former QB.

Montgomery, C. White and Quess have yet to see the field and Gardner has 2 snaps. McClain and Jamison barely play either so, D-line or O-line strike me as the logical areas to cut. C. White has PS written all over him and Montgomery needs to be an offseason project and should have punched his ticket to the IR resort a month ago.

This is perhaps the single most endearing post you've ever put up here. Thank you for this joy.
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We brought in a lot of OLmen in for workouts, including Apollos boy Jason Smith.

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
31 tot, 0 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the Texans ever signed anyone from these weekly workouts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: