Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Stat Watch - Single Season Receiving Stats - Marlon Brown
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
Mancunian Raven wrote:
I expect Marlon Brown to get about 600-700yds receiving for the season. As for TDs, it actually doesn't seem beyond the realms of possibility that he could get double digits. Joe seems to trust him in the end zone, perhaps more than anyone else.

Doesn't hurt to be 6-5 Cool

From what I've seen his TDs haven't really been because of his advantage in height. Brown is tall but doesn't use it well nor is a physical player. That's not to say I don't like what I've seen because I have but his style doesn't quite fit his physical profile. If that changes then the Ravens could have a real gem of an undrafted free agent instead of just a good find.Just think if Flacco had a big target that can just go up and get the ball at it's highest point...

This is why I'm more impressed with Joe's level of trust in the guy. It's not like he's tossing up jump balls for Brown to go and get, he's targeting the guy on slants and fades, and expecting him to make catches and make plays.

It's not often a QB can immediately find that sort of connection in a receiver, let alone a UDFA receiver. And so I think the Ravens need to focus on developing Brown and trying to get the best out of him that they can. If he does put on some muscle and becomes a more physical guy, he's definitely capable of being an excellent receiver in the NFL.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
Mancunian Raven wrote:
I expect Marlon Brown to get about 600-700yds receiving for the season. As for TDs, it actually doesn't seem beyond the realms of possibility that he could get double digits. Joe seems to trust him in the end zone, perhaps more than anyone else.

Doesn't hurt to be 6-5 Cool

From what I've seen his TDs haven't really been because of his advantage in height. Brown is tall but doesn't use it well nor is a physical player. That's not to say I don't like what I've seen because I have but his style doesn't quite fit his physical profile. If that changes then the Ravens could have a real gem of an undrafted free agent instead of just a good find.Just think if Flacco had a big target that can just go up and get the ball at it's highest point...

This is why I'm more impressed with Joe's level of trust in the guy. It's not like he's tossing up jump balls for Brown to go and get, he's targeting the guy on slants and fades, and expecting him to make catches and make plays.

It's not often a QB can immediately find that sort of connection in a receiver, let alone a UDFA receiver. And so I think the Ravens need to focus on developing Brown and trying to get the best out of him that they can. If he does put on some muscle and becomes a more physical guy, he's definitely capable of being an excellent receiver in the NFL.

Well, height is more than simply jump balls. It strongly correlates with a larger overall frame that allows a receiver to shield the ball/catch from a defender on a slant or a crossing route. Additionally, it provides a lager catch radius.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Manc...

I just don't see him capable of becoming that physical receiver... and I'm not sure it would help him to add muscle to sort of become a more physical presence.

Brown just reminds me of a TJ Houshmanzadeh type of big, finesse, receiver option that can make plays. You try to have Brown add weight and suddenly he's too slow to gain even the minimal amounts of separation he seems to be able to get.

I just think a receiving style is something ingrained at this point. You can teach a receiver some tricks, but I just don't think you take a finesse guy and convert him into a "physical" guy. Its that mistake that usually has front offices failing with their receiver picks.

Teach a guy to run better routes, to catch the football better, but... I just don't think you can teach a guy to attack the football in track with the best of them, to attack defenders in the open field, and to play like he's a tank. That's something you either have or you don't. It's like Gatorade... "Is it in you?"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
@Manc...

I just don't see him capable of becoming that physical receiver... and I'm not sure it would help him to add muscle to sort of become a more physical presence.

Brown just reminds me of a TJ Houshmanzadeh type of big, finesse, receiver option that can make plays. You try to have Brown add weight and suddenly he's too slow to gain even the minimal amounts of separation he seems to be able to get.

I just think a receiving style is something ingrained at this point. You can teach a receiver some tricks, but I just don't think you take a finesse guy and convert him into a "physical" guy. Its that mistake that usually has front offices failing with their receiver picks.

Teach a guy to run better routes, to catch the football better, but... I just don't think you can teach a guy to attack the football in track with the best of them, to attack defenders in the open field, and to play like he's a tank. That's something you either have or you don't. It's like Gatorade... "Is it in you?"

I think what Brown needs is more technique refinement personally. He seems to get the jump on CBs when going deep but can't maintain the ability to keep the stack on top of them -- I feel like every time I see Joe throw deep to Marlon, he's behind the CB and has to try to cut back around the CB to make a play.

I think Marlon could stand to add a little bit more muscle, but I think he could be an AJ Green type player (not level, of course, but style) for us -- just needs to refine his technique.

^ I don't quite get why simon made this my losing sig about the Chiefs. I don't think I've made a single post in this forum.

XBL GT: kanxalanx
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
@Manc...

I think what Brown needs is more technique refinement personally. He seems to get the jump on CBs when going deep but can't maintain the ability to keep the stack on top of them -- I feel like every time I see Joe throw deep to Marlon, he's behind the CB and has to try to cut back around the CB to make a play.

I think Marlon could stand to add a little bit more muscle, but I think he could be an AJ Green type player (not level, of course, but style) for us -- just needs to refine his technique.

I get what you mean with the comparison to Green and I agree what he needs is to improve his technique. This is why I mentioned Houshmanzadeh. A big, finesse, WR that once he developed he was pretty reliable as a possession threat for Palmer. But Brown will never have the agility needed to truly be an elite route runner like Green. I know that's not what you were trying to imply, I just wanted to put that out there. Brown's feet are just not mobile enough.

But with just some route refinement, he could become a very viable option as a 3rd receiver option. I definitely like what he brings to the table, but we'll have to see. I'm still not entirely sold on what Brown brings to the table yet.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing purely related to the thread itself and contributing nothing to the very good discussion occurring re: what sort of target Marlon Brown can be...

It will be interesting to see how Kembrell Thompkins season ends up. Not as easy to hype UDFA Marlon Brown if there is another guy at the same position outdoing him.

Thompkins 15 rec / 257 yards / 3 TD
Brown 14 rec / 150 yards / 3 TD

I think when the season is over Brown will have more grabs, less yards and more TDs.

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I wonder with Brown is the state of his knee. He tore his ACL only about a year ago, so it's plausible to me that we see him develop a little more explosion in his step next year (provided he doesn't get hurt again) simply by virtue of being farther removed from the injury and getting his knee back to 100% rather than being something like an 80-90% (I'm just throwing out numbers right now) that makes him functional but not optimal as an athlete.

Now, maybe this is as good as he gets, but I'm hoping maybe there's a little more to him. He runs solid routes and has good, strong hands, enough for me to feel like he's at least got a role in this league as a possession receiver, but it would be great to see him to develop a little more big play potential, either through some greater YAC ability or going over the top for deeper pass patterns.
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown is now #6 on the Ravens rookie list with 17 catches for 221 yards and 3 TDs.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3/4 of the way through the season, Marlon Brown has 29 rec/320 yards/5 TD. He is on pace (numbers rounded to nearest whole number) to finish with 41 rec/448 yards/7 TD.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: