Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Stat Watch - Single Season Receiving Stats - Marlon Brown
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sp6488

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Stat Watch - Single Season Receiving Stats - Marlon Brown Reply with quote

Everyone is very excited about Marlon Brown and his contributions to the Ravens offense this season. One set of numbers that I find somewhat encouraging... Since Q's offensive explosion in week 1, he has 6 catches for 74 yards and 0 TDs. Meanwhile, in that same two game span, Marlon Brown has 6 catches for 51 yards and 1 TD. Obviously these numbers mean nothing (small sample size and everything) but it's nice to see that there production is pretty similar. Anyway, I thought I would track how Marlon Brown's season stacks up against those of other rookie Ravens receivers. I warn you, those numbers are worse than I anticipated.

All Ravens Stat Watch Topics:
1. Stat Watch - Career Receptions - Ray Rice
2. Stat Watch - Career Sacks - Terrell Suggs
3. Stat Watch - Career Interceptions - Ed Reed
4. Stat Watch - Single Season Sacks - Suggs & Dumervil
5. Stat Watch - Single Season Receiving Stats - Marlon Brown
6. Stat Watch - Single Season Receiving Stats - Torrey Smith

Ravens Rookie WR Single Season Leaders
(Sorted by receptions)

#. Player (Year) Receptions-Yards-TDs (GP/GS)
1. Torrey Smith (2011) 50-841-7 (16/14)
2. Mark Clayton (2005) 44-471-2 (14/10)
3. Travis Taylor (2000) 28-276-3 (9/8 )
4. Clarence Moore (2004) 24-293-4 (15/6)
5. Demetrius Williams (2006) 22-396-2 (16/0)
6. Patrick Johnson (1998) 12-159-1 (13/0)
7. Marlon Brown (2013) 10-116-2 (3/3)
8. Ron Johnson (2002) 10-114-1 (16/4)
9. Randy Hymes (2002) 6-123-0 (7/2)
10. Javin Hunter (2002) 5-35-0 (12/3)

So, Marlon is already #7 on this list. Extrapolating his current numbers gets you to ~53 receptions/619 yards/11 TD on the season. My guess is that he finishes the season with the second best rookie WR season for the Ravens behind Torrey Smith (barring injury, of course).

Undrafted Rookie WR Single Season Leaders
(Sorted by receptions)

#. Player, Team (Year) Receptions-Yards-TDs (GP/GS)

1. Bill Groman, Houston Oilers (1960) 72-1,473-12 (14/0)
2. Wayne Chrebet, New York Jets (1995) 66-726-4 (16/16)
3. Davone Bess, Miami Dolphins (2008) 54-554-1 (16/6)
4. Doug Baldwin, Seattle Seahawks (2011) 51-788-4 (16/1)
5. Oronde Gadsden, Miami Dolphins (1998) 48-713-7 (16/12)
6. Bobby L. Johnson, New York Giants (1984) 48-795-7 (16/16)
7. Anthony Armstrong, Washington Redskins (2010) 44-871-3 (15/11)
8. Charley Hennigan, Houston Oilers (1960) 44-722-6 (11/0)
9. Danny Amendola, St. Louis Rams (2009) 43-326-1 (14/2)
10. Will Moore, New England Patriots (1995) 43-502-1 (14/13)
15. Blair White, Indianapolis Colts (2010) 36-355-5 (13/4)
20. David Nelson, Buffalo Bills (2010) 31-353-3 (15/3)

If someone on this list wasn't truly undrafted, please let me know. For some reason Josh Gordon shows up, despite being taken in the supplemental draft (which I excluded). I think that Brown has a chance to surpass everyone on this list (as it seems he WILL get the opportunities) with the exception of Bill Groman. Personally, I didn't know much about him, but some interesting stuff. From his Wikipedia page:

Quote:
William Frederick Groman (born July 17, 1936 in Tiffin, Ohio) was an American football player. A wide receiver, he played college football at Heidelberg College, and played professionally in the American Football League for the Houston Oilers from 1960 through 1962 and was on the first two AFL Championship teams. He played for the Denver Broncos in 1963, and for the Buffalo Bills in 1964 and 1965, playing on the Bills' two American Football League Championship teams. In his six years of professional football, he played on four AFL championship teams, the only man ever to do so.

Groman has more yards receiving in a rookie year than any other player (1473 in 1960, when the season was 14 games long rather than the current 16). He was selected as one of the offensive ends on the first Sporting News AFL All-League Team in 1960. He also has the most TDs by receptions in his first 2 years (29: 12 in 1960 and 17 in 1961).

Shocked

Last edited by sp6488 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
sp6488

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So maybe I need to stop making threads... First I make a hypothetical thread about what we'd do we're one of our rbs to go down and rice gets hit with an injury. Then, I make this one and Q has a big game for the niners. I either need to stop or find a way to use these powers for good.

Last edited by sp6488 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
spiritoftruth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q will continue having big games for the Niners because Q is a great WR.

NextBigThing wrote:
I am a Patriots fan, I know all about excellence.
drd23

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiritoftruth wrote:

And because somebody has to catch the ball in that offense, and atm there isnt anyone else good enough to do it

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe not deserving of its own thread (though sp can put one up if he decides to, I feel like this stat watch series is his baby), but Torrey Smith's season line is one thing to keep track of as well.

Through 4 games, Torrey has 21 catches for 435 yards and he picked up his first touchdown of the season yesterday. Currently, he's 2nd in the league in receiving yards behind just Julio Jones, and is on track for 84 catches and a ridiculous 1,740 receiving yards. Even though he won't keep this up (it's hard to expect a 166 yard game in every 4-game quarter of the season), he's still in line to at the very least put forward the best year for a Ravens receiver possibly ever.

He won't beat Derrick Mason's single season reception record of 103 from 2007 because he's not that kind of receiver, but I can very easily see him bettering Michael Jackson's record for receiving yards that has stood since our inaugural year of 1,201 yards. Barring something spectacular he's not going to beat Jackson's record from that year of 14 TD's, either.

Torrey is basically the only guy on offense who has held up his end of the bargain thus far in terms of picking up the slack on offense to fill the void of losing Boldin... Dennis Pitta got hurt before he got a chance to do anything, Ed Dickson has more drops than catches and is quite possibly the worst football player in the NFL, Deonte Thompson has only been healthy enough to play a part of one game (but has looked good when on the field), a kitten dies every time Dallas Clark tries to make a move in the open field and he seems to have at least one consequential drop a game, Jacoby Jones was downed by friendly fire, Ray Rice has been hurt and ineffective, and Bernard Pierce is also struggling behind the same terrible run-blocking that is rendering Rice obsolete. And while Joe Flacco is not the main reason for this offense's struggles and is doing what he can given a bad situation, he also hasn't necessarily been a driving force of good, either. I guess Marlon Brown has been a pleasant surprise but that's only because nothing was expected of him.

But Torrey has brought it every week and so far has shown he's capable of being a true #1 receiver. He's making plays deep but the number of times he's wiggled free on crossing routes and made plays in the open field are a testament to the ways in which he has really improved as a route runner and all-around player. He's the only exciting thing about this offense right now and I hope he can continue putting up the kinds of numbers he's giving us right now.
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Maybe not deserving of its own thread (though sp can put one up if he decides to, I feel like this stat watch series is his baby), but Torrey Smith's season line is one thing to keep track of as well.

I certainly think it's worth one. The most receiving yards in a single season is *gulp* Michael Jackson with 1201 yards in 1996.

I'm also still peeved that certain Ravens' fans on this forum were refuting my claim that Torrey Smith is a better receiver than Anquan Boldin right now on the general board earlier this season.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
BaltimoreTerp wrote:

I certainly think it's worth one. The most receiving yards in a single season is *gulp* Michael Jackson with 1201 yards in 1996.

I'm also still peeved that certain Ravens' fans on this forum were refuting my claim that Torrey Smith is a better receiver than Anquan Boldin right now on the general board earlier this season.

It definitely wasn't me. I thought Smith was the better receiver last season.

I believe I predicted Torrey Smith would have 1100 yards this season, but that I thought he could potentially put up a Torrey Holt-like season. A 1300 yard, 10~ TD type season.

That said, I think we should keep in mind that last year around this time, Smith was also on pace for about 1600 yards or so... though we don't look to play as many top 10 defenses this year, as we did last... and we don't have as many receiving options to take away from Smith's targets, so this is likely a more sustainable production rate.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
BaltimoreTerp wrote:

I'm guilty of that, but I'm starting to believe in Torrey. It's really quite awkward because I was pimping Torrey as a complete WR to some people but then here I was like "Anquan is better and blah blah blah", but clearly Torrey is the WR that I thought he was (complete).

I will admit I was wrong on that one. 2nd in receiving yards in the NFL, yeah I'll take that!

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
spiritoftruth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drd23 wrote:
spiritoftruth wrote:

And because somebody has to catch the ball in that offense, and atm there isnt anyone else good enough to do it

The same can be said about Torrey Smith and the Ravens.

Torrey had a huge game and has been making an impact outside of just deep balls, but Boldin is still a much better weapon in the red zone and short yardage situations. I could see Torrey ending up with more yards in big games like week 4, but Boldin ending up with more touchdowns and a more consistent week to week performance. I would still take Boldin pretty easily over Smith.

NextBigThing wrote:
I am a Patriots fan, I know all about excellence.
sp6488

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:

I'm a man of the people:

6. Stat Watch - Single Season Receiving Stats - Torrey Smith

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With 4 receptions for 34 yards and a TD against Buffalo, Brown now has 14 receptions for 150 yards and 3 TDs, passing Patrick Johnson for the number 6 spot (in terms of receptions) for Ravens rookie WRs.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect Marlon Brown to get about 600-700yds receiving for the season. As for TDs, it actually doesn't seem beyond the realms of possibility that he could get double digits. Joe seems to trust him in the end zone, perhaps more than anyone else.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
I expect Marlon Brown to get about 600-700yds receiving for the season. As for TDs, it actually doesn't seem beyond the realms of possibility that he could get double digits. Joe seems to trust him in the end zone, perhaps more than anyone else.

Doesn't hurt to be 6-5 Cool

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
Mancunian Raven wrote:

From what I've seen his TDs haven't really been because of his advantage in height. Brown is tall but doesn't use it well nor is a physical player. That's not to say I don't like what I've seen because I have but his style doesn't quite fit his physical profile. If that changes then the Ravens could have a real gem of an undrafted free agent instead of just a good find.Just think if Flacco had a big target that can just go up and get the ball at it's highest point...
RavensTillIDie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
Mancunian Raven wrote:

Damn, didn't even realize he was that tall. For some reason I thought he was closer to 6'2''-6'3''.

Imagine if he packed on some more muscle. Yikes! Shocked

Matts4313 wrote:
Speaking of attacking kids

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: