Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

College Football Talk Week 5 + Clowney Watch
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: College Football Talk Week 5 + Clowney Watch Reply with quote

Clowney vs UCF
VS
#12 South Carolina Gamecocks (2-1) @ UCF (3-0)

Time: Saturday, September 28, 2013 – 9am PST
Weather: N/A
TV: ESPN
Preview: UCF runs an decent offense but it isn’t proficient enough to hold up against SEC athletes and UCF’s defense is a sieve. This matchup won’t be competitive for more than a series or two.
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/conversation?gameId=332712116
Last Week : South Carolina had a bye during one of the most collectively uninteresting weekends in college football history. Apparently, the dreaded BCS has eliminated strength of schedule as one of components of evaluation for its rankings hence we can expect these kinds of patsy match ups in the foreseeable future.

Summary of Clowney’s bye week: What was originally thought to be an injury that was the result of a teammate stepping on his foot is now chronic bone spurs that Clowney has suffered since high school.

Quote:
Clowney said after beating Vanderbilt 35-25 on Saturday that he plans to have surgery to help relieve the bone spurs in his foot that have bothered him since high school. He'll wait until the season is over, but he said, "The more I keep playing, the more it bothers me."
http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/70164/clowney-says-hell-have-surgery-after-the-season

My issue is that Clowney has elected to have surgery at the conclusion of the season giving him a convienent out for not running at the combine and perhaps not breaking the mythical sub-4.5 40 threshold he’s rumoured to have run. Clowney’s mysterious foot injury portrays him as gutty while also tempering clearly unobtainable expectations for the season. Clowney is a phenom but the hype surrounding him must be unbearable. This will probably cause Clowney to slip a bit in the draft but not out of the Top 5. Imo, Clowney doesn’t want to be the 1st overall pick and all that comes with it. This injury will probably washout his rookie season. Here’s is an expert medical opinion of how Clowney’s injury will play out:
MD Phillip Kwong of the Kerlan-Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic in Los Angeles wrote:
"I don't think that's likely to happen. I think it would take at least six weeks, but more like in the area of two months, three months, eight to ten weeks would be more likely," Kwong said. "He's going to have to do quick, explosive moves, accelerate, decelerate, change directions. He'll be sprinting, running hard, that type of thing. I would think six weeks, depending on what it is, I don't think he could be at full speed."
(Recall how preseason sure-fire lottery pick Brandon Jenkins looked at the 2013 Combine)

Imo, this is all a tempered effort to beat down the expectations that are obviously weighing down on Clowney. If Clowney has a great season his legend will grow. If he has a pedestrian season everyone will blame the injury. No lose situation. In short, Clowney is human afterall. (but still probably the best prospect in the draft!) LONG way to go folks.
RaidersAreOne

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes. Clowney seriously could slip out of the top 2. Shocked

First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
JTagg7754 on the sig.
IdigtheRaiders!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaidersAreOne wrote:

As long as he slips to us, I'll be happy. Very Happy

Or we could trade down, get more picks and nab Louis Nix, and I'll still be happy. Cool

1. Props to Big Palooka for the sig
2. Tim Brown is my favorite NFL player of all time.
bitty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sums up Clowney's football season so far.
Week one excuse food poisoning
Week two excuse slight knee injury
Week three excuse bone spurs
Does anybody else see a trend here?
Update
Week four excuse bruised ribs

Last edited by bitty on Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Raiiiiidersssss

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdigtheRaiders! wrote:
RaidersAreOne wrote:

As long as he slips to us, I'll be happy. Very Happy

Or we could trade down, get more picks and nab Louis Nix, and I'll still be happy. Cool

Dude you ever go to yogurt mill
BigD1123

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I see a trend of having to look at a friggin gamechicken on a Raiders board Yuck!!!! In reality the biggest problem is everyone expects highlight games from the kid every week. Peeps want Michigan type plays in every game and its just not gonna happen. A d end can get schemed out of games. And thats what is happening. I heard people saying he was out of shape after the tarheel game but I was at that game and it was miserably humid and a temp around 99. Every player from both teams were spent. Shoot even the people in the stands were falling out. Instead of addressing the fact that defense's are going away from him. The coaches keep coming up with excusses after games then you hear of him mentioning whatever they say later. But tbh I remember people saying he was having some foot problems toward the end of his last high school season.

I really would like to have him in oakland especially with houston on the other side. You can scheme out one d end but two is alot harder to accomplish.
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitty wrote:
This sums up Clowney's football season so far.
Week one excuse food poisoning
Week two excuse slight knee injury
Week three excuse bone spurs
Does anybody else see a trend here?

I posted this because I attempt to be fair and balanced. Clowney isn't perfect no prospect is. I acknowledge the question marks. Yet some either TOTALLY dismiss or ignore the obvious flaws of their favorite prospects. Everyone knew coming into the season that no one could possibly meet the unfair expectations set on Clowney.

I've heard what's great about your prospect but can you tear him down and THEN build him back up as to why he should be a Raider?
agarcia34

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.Fales has been crap all game long but makes two beautiful throws to end the half. Makes you scratch your head. I wanna like him but I just can't seem to.
agarcia34

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So so far Clowney has 1 QB hurry. He lines up really far from the LT he is really playing wide 9.
agarcia34

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just don't see the effort from him. Looks like he is just going threw the motions.
NickButera

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a good feeling about this weekend. The feeling that a lot of SEC teams are going to lose today. And that's always a good thing.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
agarcia34

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd Gurley is a man among boys.
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sammy Watkins making some cash today. No way he's not in the first round.
BlackPrestige92

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want Anthony Barr, he looks like a Von Miller without the character issues. He looks like a clean shaven dude. He's a real football player, that's for sure.

“If Phil Jackson came back, still no coaching me, I’m uncoachable, I’m unsociable.
-Kendrick Lamar
Dat Raider

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackPrestige92 wrote:
I want Anthony Barr, he looks like a Von Miller without the character issues. He looks like a clean shaven dude. He's a real football player, that's for sure.

I haven't seen any of his games this season, how's he looking through the first few games?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: