Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rethinking the #1 pick (Geno Smith edition)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Da_Zou13

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Rethinking the #1 pick (Geno Smith edition) Reply with quote

I was wrong...we should have taken Geno Smith....yup.

Props to LOTO on the sig.

Last edited by Da_Zou13 on Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chiefer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would rather have Star Lotulelei or Sheldon Richardson at this point. Don't know much about Ziggy, but I know those guys are playing at a very good level right now.

All those guys are excelling in rushing the passer and defending the run.

No player was worth the pick so it didn't matter, but cutting Winston forced our hand. Winston isn't great, but playing better than Fisher at this point and would have been worth keeping and developing a tackle from a later round.

I can understand the viewpoint of the front office, we're gonna need tackles sooner rather than later. Might as well develop a great prospect now.

We won't know real returns for another year or so, he's behind the 8ball coming from Central Michigan so I can cut some slack.
simonwayne

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I wanted Ziggy for the longest time but once it looked like we were taking a tackle I locked in on Fisher.

Does anyone know if we are going to have enough cap space to resign Albert next year if we have to?
ryknowssd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I made it very well known that I wanted Geno, Ziggy or Fisher (in that order). I LOVES me some Ziggy. But, I think the Fisher pick viewed as an absolute necessity if/after Reid & Dorsey became convinced that Albert wouldn't be here next year. I mean, how often do you have a chance at a LT who's viewed as an elite prospect in the draft? I guess I've come to terms with Fisher as our top pick even though I was pretty dead set on Geno, Ziggy or bust. Meh. I'm really hoping Fisher proves me wrong, but it hasn't started out well, that's for sure.

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Oooohhhh YEAHH!!! WOO PIG SOOIE!
samsel23

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Fisher has struggled, he has potential and had the best chance to produce this season. Our DL has been dominant and as good as Ziggy and Sheldon have looked neither have played as well as Tyson or Dontari THIS season.

Really hope Tyson takes a team friendly deal in the off season.

Xavier Rhodes is also making me look good for having him as the #1 CB.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

samsel23 wrote:
While Fisher has struggled, he has potential and had the best chance to produce this season. Our DL has been dominant and as good as Ziggy and Sheldon have looked neither have played as well as Tyson or Dontari THIS season.

Really hope Tyson takes a team friendly deal in the off season.

Xavier Rhodes is also making me look good for having him as the #1 CB.

This, but TANSTTMD (There aint no such thing as too much depth).

J

Last edited by onejayhawk on Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
Mikek163

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not reading. I know this is about the play of Fisher. Absolute disgrace people are nitpicking his game 3 games in (after facing Babin - Cole / Graham / Ware / Spencer). No thx.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mike, this is too soon. Also, how bad would our line be if we had Terron Armstead or Dallas Thomas starting at RT? Those were the next guys available to us, with no 2nd round pick.Sure, you could argue Winston could have been retained, and he would probably be better today than any of the rooks would have been, but he was not great, which Fisher has the talent to be. Also, we'd have no real insurance to replace Albert if we can't retain him next season.

Just as I believed at the time, short of trading back, Fisher was the smart pick long term. If we could have traded back, I would have been all for it, even now, but I doubt that was a real option.

^ryknowssd on the sig
jimmydee1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What everybody else has basically said...than this. OL seems to take the longest transition to make. Defenses (and D players) in general, are ahead of Offenses early. Fisher gets beaten on inside moves more than not, so with a little help till that part of the game slows for him, will be in order (see TE help).

Not one to second guessing until much later, but for now, I gotta believe Andy, with his history of building O lines, didn't make a mistake.

I'm more concerned with help in the middle. I think Hudson is coming into his milk and will be solid, so read guards here. Our guard play puzzles me more that RT. Pressure on Smith, with the exception of Fisher getting beaten inside occasionally, is up the middle. Need help there NOW!
Rumless

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's only one player IMO that would have made our roster immediately more competitive this year, and with the way Andy Reid has been using Donnie Avery, you have to admit Tavon Awesome in this offense would be lethal.

In fact, I'm not sure he's better than our very own London Fletcher.[/quote]
chiefs82

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i was driving the Fisher bandwagon as soon as it looked like it was him or Joeckel. The whole O-Line has struggled this year not just Fisher. I still lovr the guy. Big, strong, athletic and once he figures how to really lock in, he'll be fine. Not to mention he's learning to play on the other side of the line.

We have to remember against Dallas and Philly those 2 key drives at the end of the game, Fish had some big blocks. (JC's TD against Philly was on Fishers side as well as his long run against Dallas he had a big block on Lee)

2014 Adopt-A-Chief: #50 Justin Houston, OLB
Tackles:8/TFL:2/Sacks:3/FF:0/FR:0
Da_Zou13

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmydee1 wrote:
OL seems to take the longest transition to make. Defenses (and D players) in general, are ahead of Offenses early.

I 100% disagree with this. OL is usually one of the quickest/easiest transitions to the NFL. Just look at what the rookie OL in Chicago are doing. Joe Thomas, Jake Long, Trent Williams, Michael Oher, and a bunch of other 1st round tackles have all done well in their first year.

There are a bunch of positons that take much longer to transition to the NFL than OL. For instance, WR, DE, DT, and obviously QB all have a harder transition to the NFL.

samsel23

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da_Zou13 wrote:
jimmydee1 wrote:
OL seems to take the longest transition to make. Defenses (and D players) in general, are ahead of Offenses early.

I 100% disagree with this. OL is usually one of the quickest/easiest transitions to the NFL. Just look at what the rookie OL in Chicago are doing. Joe Thomas, Jake Long, Trent Williams, Michael Oher, and a bunch of other 1st round tackles have all done well in their first year.

There are a bunch of positons that take much longer to transition to the NFL than OL. For instance, WR, DE, DT, and obviously QB all have a harder transition to the NFL.

Fisher also had to switch sides. I know another excuse, but most of his mistakes are footwork.

Fisher was second for me, but seeing the D play I'm still happy we took Fisher.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zou....in certain situations where a rookie comes into an already established OL, that may be true. Fisher did not. Switched sides, and defenses are always ahead of the offenses. Individuals may vary, but the general rule, is what I have stated.

So, the answer to your post is simple... "you're right". It's just easier that way.
Da_Zou13

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmydee1 wrote:
Zou....in certain situations where a rookie comes into an already established OL, that may be true. Fisher did not. Switched sides, and defenses are always ahead of the offenses. Individuals may vary, but the general rule, is what I have stated.

So, the answer to your post is simple... "you're right". It's just easier that way.

I'll give you the fact that he switched positions, but I dont necessarily agree that defenses are always ahead of offenses.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: