Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Houston, we have a problem
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amazingandre

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Houston, we have a problem Reply with quote

haha sorry I had to (the title)

Anyway what is your thoughts on this TEAMS problems. The core of the problems, not just Schaub.

The problem on this team is coaching .The players take on their coaches persona and its a soft passive one. Were undisciplined, in slow motion and have no desire to destroy teams. Our special teams has been junk for years and nothing changes. Our secondary is still trash after dumping money into the last few seasons. Wade still runs a soft defense in the secondary even after being dominated by passing teams for years now. Our head coach won't change his play calling or design even though it fails in the red zone over and over again. Its the same trash just a new season. Regular season champions have arrived. Gold stars for everyone, because participation means more than winning these days.
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't think coaching is an issue, we have a great coach who has the select of the players. He doesn't get impulsive and doesn't make bad choices in the heat of the moment. Usually we screw up a great play call with bad effort

If anything kubiaks blind loyalty is his only real fault, but players love that about him. They know that one mistake isn't going to cost them a job like it would if most of us were coaching

Kareem Jackson is a prime example. Jackson is in my opinion our best CB now, but he would have been cut after his rookie year by most

It's easy to 2nd guess some of his vanilla play calling, but it works out a lot if the time.

I think our biggest fault as a team is really bad luck. Ok maybe that's not the best way to describe it, but we haven't had a season without a MAJOR injury, I know every team has injuries, but we lose our QB or pro bowl MLB and now perhaps a top 2 LT in football.

When we make mistakes they always turn out to be huge. We not only throw ints, but they are returned for TDs. We drop wide open passes. We bat Hail Marys right into the WRs hands, our CBs slip and fall down on plays with no help deep. The list can go on and on

When we aren't having a mixture of bad luck and mental mistakes, we are almost unstoppable, and that's on Kubiak

Look at what we have on our team. Duane Brown was like the 5th LT chosen, Arian Foster was uh drafted, Schuab was a back up QB. Kubiak has gotten the best out of guys who should have been average at best. We have a great coach!
Carrer marks:
992 catches 13,381 yards 63 TDs
Raz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't see the BIG problem you guy's are talking about.
The team is overrated because of fantasy league stats, i guess and therefor the Texans are not as dominating as some think.The loss against Ravens was extremely annoying but the team usually responds well to a loss like that so well see what happens the net two weeks.

Bottom line, the team is overrated but still are a top 4 team in the AFC.
We will always need luck to go further in the playoffs then we have already.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are built to be a playoff team for 5-7 years(counting the 2 already), with the hope tha we get some good fortunes and win a title, we aren't built short term.
Carrer marks:
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No ones getting past Manning this year or till he retires.....

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swaggg" Swearinger
62 tot, 2 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Houston, we have a problem Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:

Anyway what is your thoughts on this TEAMS problems. The core of the problems, not just Schaub.

Ego and Accountability.

I think it's Kubiaks ego that manifests itself in the form of stubborness. He's to stubborn to change plays and play calling so we use the same offense we've had for the last few years and the same offense that every team in the league has tons of film on. His ego/stubborness won't allow him to admit a mistake on a draft pick. Instead we hang onto draft failures for years and try to turn them into something their not. This ego issue and refusal to admit a mistake also manifests itself into stubborn loyalty to players that on any other team would be gone.

I also don't think Smith and Kubiak hold asst. coaches and players accountable enough for their mistakes thus a lack of discipline. I'm sure Marcianno isn't telling his special teams players to screw up their assignments but it also seems that he's not getting through to them either. Holding someone accountable via the chopping block should send a message to others on the team. JMO.
amazingandre

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

proof our red zone play calling is trash

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/51126/on-the-texans-throwing-into-the-end-zone

Quote:
Over the past five years, here’s the percentage of Texans touchdown passes thrown into the end zone:

2008: 61.9
2009: 44.8
2010: 62.5
2011: 45.0
2012: 31.8

Last season, when Houston made me crazy with its conservative play against the Bengals in that playoff win, just one of the Texans' seven red-zone throws was into the end zone.

The Panthers caught 26.3 percent of their touchdown passes in the end zone in 2012, the low mark in the league. The Cardinals posted a 27.3 percent mark. The Texans, a team far better than Carolina or Arizona, were third-worst, at 31.8.

Quote:
And it's not as if the Texans were a complete passing dud. They had 22 touchdown passes, just under the league average (23.7). They got a touchdown on 56.1 percent of their trips into the red zone, not a great number but still 12th in the NFL. There was a big gap, however, between them and the league's best offenses -- the Packers, Saints and Patriots all got touchdowns at least 68.1 percent of the time they got inside the 20. Boost last year's Texans to that level, they would have had seven more touchdowns.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Kareem Jackson is a prime example. Jackson is in my opinion our best CB now, but he would have been cut after his rookie year by most

2 more Pass Interference penalties last week. You people do understand that this is the biggest penalty in football right? Automatic first down + unlimited yardage. In this case, it was 28 yards and 2 first downs. Asinine personal foul with a hit to the head the week before that put our own players in peril (possible retribution with Watt and AJ hits?).

Jackson cost his team the 7th most yards in football in 2012 (113 yards) & 2011 (99) and is top ten again already this year. Just because he's not getting burned every week for TDs doesn't mean he is doing his job up to par. Good CBs DON'T get called for PIs, just like good tackles don't get called for holding. They are the cardinal sins as holding calls are drive killers and PI's are drive extenders. It's about technique and KJ remains sloppy and careless.

BTW - Not excusing Joseph's penalties or McCain's either.

For those of you counting, Newton has 2 holding penalties so far. He was the most penalized Texan last year with 8 penalties. One of the reasons Winston was cut was his 7 holding calls + 2 false starts.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:

Pump the brakes folks. It's week 3. Remember when the Bears were the NFC Super Bowl favorites when we beat them in WEEK 10 last year? How did that work out?

However, I do look at last years Super Bowl teams and BOTH made BOLD, BALLZY moves that proved critical to their Super Bowl runs. The Ravens fired OC Cam Cameron and his stale concepts while they were sitting with a 9-4 record. The 49ers swapped QBs after a 6-2-1 start.

Instead of just whining about our failures this week, Kubiak should have walked in Monday morning and explained to the team that Sunday was unacceptable on all levels and announced the firing of Marciano, benching of Derek Newton, and demotion of Brice McCain. Schaub needs to be put on notice that if he doesn't make better decisions, he can be given the hook as well.

None of those quite qualify as bold moves, but more importantly I think he needs to prepare to fire himself as playcaller if the offense doesn't get the ball into the end zone against Seattle and SF. He was so quick to reference all the yards the offense racked up in the first two weeks, it seems clear to me that he is incapable of seeing the problem at this point. There is a reason you want someone else "proofreading" you work, because it's hard to see the errors you write with your own hand. I don't know if Rick Dennison or Karl Dorrell would necessarily be better, but when a teams becomes playcalls become as predictable as this, it's time for change for changes sake. Bash Schaub for this weeks pick 6 all your want, that was at it's core a failure at the playcalling end as clearly Smith knew the play as well as Schaub and OD did and jumped the route. Sure ultimately the QB can decide where to place the ball and decide against making the throw, but good defenders are going to bait the trap when they know what is coming (well defenders on teams that understand the value of turnovers anyway).

Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
Quote:

2 more Pass Interference penalties last week. You people do understand that this is the biggest penalty in football right? Automatic first down + unlimited yardage. In this case, it was 28 yards and 2 first downs. Asinine personal foul with a hit to the head the week before that put our own players in peril (possible retribution with Watt and AJ hits?).

Jackson cost his team the 7th most yards in football in 2012 (113 yards) & 2011 (99) and is top ten again already this year. Just because he's not getting burned every week for TDs doesn't mean he is doing his job up to par. Good CBs DON'T get called for PIs, just like good tackles don't get called for holding. They are the cardinal sins as holding calls are drive killers and PI's are drive extenders. It's about technique and KJ remains sloppy and careless.

For those of you counting, Newton has 2 holding penalties so far. He was the most penalized Texan last year with 8 penalties. One of the reasons Winston was cut was his 7 holding calls + 2 false starts.

Jackson was the victim of some horrible calls sunday
Carrer marks:
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
Quote:

Jackson was the victim of some horrible calls sunday

While I agree one of them was a pretty soft call, when a defender fails to turn his head and look for the ball it is almost always a trigger for a PI call. It's kind of like a tackle getting his hands outside on a pass rusher - even if he doesn't actually complete the hold it almost always triggers the flag. It is simple technique and not a mistake a CB should still be making in his 4th season. The guy hasn't been a league leader in PI penalties 3 seasons in a row by accident or just bad calls. Part of being a veteran is knowing how to get away with things and not get called.

These rationalizations remind me of people excusing Fred Bennett's coverage lapses because he fell down. He fell down because he had poor technique and recognition skills and ultimately it's the result that they are accountable for.

kanedafx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

Pump the brakes folks. It's week 3. Remember when the Bears were the NFC Super Bowl favorites when we beat them in WEEK 10 last year? How did that work out?

However, I do look at last years Super Bowl teams and BOTH made BOLD, BALLZY moves that proved critical to their Super Bowl runs. The Ravens fired OC Cam Cameron and his stale concepts while they were sitting with a 9-4 record. The 49ers swapped QBs after a 6-2-1 start.

Instead of just whining about our failures this week, Kubiak should have walked in Monday morning and explained to the team that Sunday was unacceptable on all levels and announced the firing of Marciano, benching of Derek Newton, and demotion of Brice McCain. Schaub needs to be put on notice that if he doesn't make better decisions, he can be given the hook as well.

None of those quite qualify as bold moves, but more importantly I think he needs to prepare to fire himself as playcaller if the offense doesn't get the ball into the end zone against Seattle and SF. He was so quick to reference all the yards the offense racked up in the first two weeks, it seems clear to me that he is incapable of seeing the problem at this point. There is a reason you want someone else "proofreading" you work, because it's hard to see the errors you write with your own hand. I don't know if Rick Dennison or Karl Dorrell would necessarily be better, but when a teams becomes playcalls become as predictable as this, it's time for change for changes sake. Bash Schaub for this weeks pick 6 all your want, that was at it's core a failure at the playcalling end as clearly Smith knew the play as well as Schaub and OD did and jumped the route. Sure ultimately the QB can decide where to place the ball and decide against making the throw, but good defenders are going to bait the trap when they know what is coming (well defenders on teams that understand the value of turnovers anyway).

Exactly.

Also, HOW DOES MARCIANO HAVE A JOB!!!???

How do you get paid to be the worst at something? I just don't understand...
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanedafx wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

Exactly.

well technically he would be the 32nd best at it....i mean the worst player in the NFL is better than the thousands who couldnt make it Smile
Carrer marks:
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
kanedafx wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

Exactly.

well technically he would be the 32nd best at it....i mean the worst player in the NFL is better than the thousands who couldnt make it Smile

Pastor - you are amazing. They ought to hire you out to be the guy on the news who follows the story about the tornado tearing thru town with "on the bright side, we needed the rain." Seriously, your perspective is appreciated especially in times where all people want to see is the "catastrophe" of one loss. I'm surprised you didn't talk about want a great punt Lechler nailed right before the botched coverage.

Optimism aside, in the case of Marciano, I feel like we're stuck in the story of the man in the flood trapped on the roof who refuses the boat, the raft, and the canoe proclaiming that God will deliver him while missing the fact that He tried three times only to be ignored. Kubiak needs to recognize the signs when they are sent in the form of McKnight, Karim, and Doss and hold Marciano to the same standard he held Jacoby and Holliday to in that their mistakes could not be tolerated any longer on a team that could be a kick return away from the Super Bowl. Unlike Jacoby and Holliday, the upside isn't even there as I can barely remember a time in the past 3 years where Special Teams have contributed in a meaningful way to a victory.

Does anyone know what aspects Bob Ligahesky was brought in to handle? His resume references his success with kickers, blocking punts, and kick returns. Nothing about coverage teams.

norg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

right now everything is fine chill out bro

I do think we need to fire Marceinao that's lonnnggg over due LOL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: