Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who will take Ross' spot?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pugger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Who will take Ross' spot? Reply with quote

Instead of going a jig over releasing Ross for 6 pages maybe we ought to speculate on who we can/should sign in his stead. Incognito brought up Tavarres King who's on Denver's PS. Anybody else out there worth looking at?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well regardless of who we have to return kicks/punts I'm pretty sure we now only have four receivers on the roster which probably isn't enough. Maybe one of our PS guys replaces him on the roster in that case?
Pugger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, maybe we could bring up Charles Johnson or Myles White? Or maybe a RB if Starks can't return - Michael Hill?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt anyone who isn't already a Packer replaces him. We've got 2 WR's on the PS and just cut a WR, we also have 3 injured RB's and a RB on the PS. My guess is one of those 3 will be on the active roster next week.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:
I doubt anyone who isn't already a Packer replaces him. We've got 2 WR's on the PS and just cut a WR, we also have 3 injured RB's and a RB on the PS. My guess is one of those 3 will be on the active roster next week.

Correct. That is the safest guess and most logical given the TT track record.
TheBitzMan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost has to be a WR, cant go with only 4 with our injuries. Only a matter of time before one of them is down.
Dunderhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding was that Lacy could go but the staff just held back on that? Starks had looked good and if Franklin was ever worth the 4th pick he'd have to show it sometime. Obviously, I think Franklin showed he could be reliable. Yeah, the fumble was bad, but Lacy fumbled too. It's kinda one of those things with young backs, they gotta learn.

As far as I know, all those RBs will be good to go in 2 weeks. That makes me think Wr. My best guess is Charles Johnson. The guy has those physical traits you don't teach. But as far as a KR and PR? IDK if he can do those things. My guess is he'll practice it for 2 weeks and if he's alright he'll start with KR and Cobb will do punts. Maybe get Johnson some reps at punts until the staff feels comfy with that?
valpoPackers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking they'll bring in Cobb to return punts if it's in a spot for a return (deep in opponents zone) and Hyde to return punts when it's a fair-catch situation. I could see Ross's roster spot be filled by a RB temporarily. As for kick returns, I'll take anyone who can catch and kneel in the endzone. This special teams unit has been and will be too incompetent to break the 20 on a return from the endzone as long as Slocum is around. If I had to guess, I would say Franklin is going to be doing kickoff returns if Starks and Lacy get healthy.

Myles White and Charles Johnson are both a work in progress and Boykin will probably get in-game reps above them. Maybe I'm wrong and one of those two will be activated, but I think we're more likely looking at an activation based on blocking and tackling on special teams rather than catching a football and running 20+ yards with it.

But the Packers did promote Ross at the end of the year to be kick/punt returner for the fear of Cobb getting injured. It didn't really work out too well...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the status of Starks/Kuhn I think. They did an MRI on Starks yesterday and said there was still swelling that would keep him out this weekend if there was a game. If he has to miss significant time, I think Michael Hill will be brought up. If not I see Johnson or White.
Pugger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks are not crazy about the notion of putting Cobb back to return kicks/punts. But is being a return guy any more of an injury risk than playing WR like he does? Shouldn't we have our best guy back there when field position and ball security is so important?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
Hmm, maybe we could bring up Charles Johnson or Myles White? Or maybe a RB if Starks can't return - Michael Hill?

This is exactly what I'm thinking and Hill has to be the guy if Starks is severely limited. McCarthy can't roll with just the 2 and he knows that. If Starks does return you have to believe he's bringing in a WR.

#VoteForCurvin
squire12

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
Folks are not crazy about the notion of putting Cobb back to return kicks/punts. But is being a return guy any more of an injury risk than playing WR like he does? Shouldn't we have our best guy back there when field position and ball security is so important?

I agree with this. If Cobb knows to fair catch the punts he needs to and avoid unnecessary risk, kneel down the KR that are 5+ in the endzone, the risk is minimal.

These plays are often viewed as the first play for the offense on the upcoming series, and getting the ball into your most dynamic open field runner makes sense.
I Am Rodgers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5thStringQB wrote:
Pugger wrote:

This is exactly what I'm thinking and Hill has to be the guy if Starks is severely limited. McCarthy can't roll with just the 2 and he knows that. If Starks does return you have to believe he's bringing in a WR.

#VoteForCurvin

What you're overlooking here is that Kuhn will most likely be back too. McCarthy will be ok with 2 + kuhn.

stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Betting on the longshot: Stoneburner.

Still #SignCurvin
spilltray

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has to be a WR. The Packers use 5 WR sets at times and other than Finley they need one more they they can run like that.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: