Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

HC Discussion Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lil' Shorty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: HC Discussion Thread Reply with quote

I think its pretty clear that there is some dissension in Tampa, regarding the Head Coach. Articles are starting to be written about how Schiano is on the hot seat and that will only increase if we go 0-4 into our bye. With all the money spent on free agents and the talent on this roster, I dont think the Glazers will be too pleased with the W-L total and all the negative media. If we stay on the path that we are on it is very possible the Glazers clean house after the season.

With that said, I though it would be good the have a discussion thread about the HC, possible coaching changes, or potential Head Coaches you would like to see the Bucs go after since there is a lot of talk about it recently in a ton of different threads.

At this moment I would personally like to see a coaching change at the end of the season. Ive spit out a lot of potential names over the past few days but have decided to settle on one, for now.

Kevin Sumlin Head Coach: Texas A&M

Starting LB at Purdue for his entire college career. He was a tackling machine and played with Hall of Famer Rod Woodson. Though having a passion for defense he went to the offensive side of the ball in coaching.

Looking at Sumlin's offenses at Houston and now Texas A&M, one thing is for sure, Sumlin likes to score points, and a lot of them at that. His innovative offense lead Texas A&M to an 11-2 record in 2012 including the well know win over Alabama, the eventual National Champions and a win in the Cotton Bowl over #11 Oklahoma.

Sumlin runs an "Air Raid" style offense that is semi utalized today by the Denver Broncos and New England Patriots. Air Raid Offense: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_raid_offense Basically you run a lot of shotgun with the RB beside the QB and have a 4 WR set. This allows for a lot of spacing. Opposing DL must spread, therefore having a longer route to the QB and the QB having clear throwing lanes to pass the ball. Whether you are doing a short pass in the slot, attacking the middle, or going deep, the Air Raid system puts up points and gains yards. This system also allows for the QB to make a lot of pre snap calls and audibles, so having a smart QB is important. Sumlin also runs a very tough 4-3 defense, also to the benefit of the Bucs. Though an innovative offensive mind, Sumlin was brought up a defensive guy and will not let that unit go to crap.

Arrow Why Kevin Sumlin is just what the Bucs need.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1627712-heres-one-more-reason-why-texas-am-coach-kevin-sumlin-is-so-cool

Quote:
"He is the kind of coach that gets along with everyone regardless of background or experience," former Aggie running back and Texas A&M analyst Brandon Leone said. "He expects nothing but your best, and despite being a cool coach he demands accountability from everyone and treats you all the same. Makes it very easy to respect him and play for him because he has your back."

Sumlin is the perfect mix of a demanding coach that will hold his players accountable, but able to let loose and be cool. Not to mention his tough defense with an innovative offense that will put points on the board, energize a fan base, sell tickets, and goes right in line with the way the NFL is headed with a more offensively dominant league. The fact that we have a tough D with the right coaching is only an even bigger plus.

Will Sumlin come to the NFL after only 2 years at Texas A&M where he is reportedly happy and in no rush to leave, who knows? But the fact that he has very few NFL ties could be something that keep him in college.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems before shiano alot of us were on the Zimmerman train, I'd still like to have him as a coach, and I dont think he will last past this offseason, especially if the bengals contend for that division (which I expect them to)
Zimmerman
Any serviceable Quarterback (I also think I feel differently than most on here on this one as I'm perfectly fine with a veteran as long as said veteran has some gas in the tank and can throw something higher than 50% completions than I am happy)

Maybe this is a crazy though, but if Schiano gets the ax and say Dom stays, why doesn't he talk to a few of the vets and see who they would LIKE to see as the head coach, not saying that he has to hire said person, but getting some ideas from the people you are paying and are proven veterans seems like a alright idea to me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is stupid... let's just change coaches every 2 years until we get one that makes the playoffs Evil or Very Mad ... hell not even 2 years, 1 year and 2 weeks...

We hire Raheem morris who's a players coach and he loses the locker room... we hire Schiano who's the complete opposite to install discipline, and he supposedly loses the locker room (though I'm not sure on that yet, we're just basing it off "reports")

Schiano needs a QB, he deserves a chance
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albert breer reported the players only meeting in training camp was organized due to schianos tough practices. Now I don't know how much of that is true but I'm just confused here.

We have Morris who is a slouch and ran a soft camp practices and no discipline.

Then we have a hard nosed tough coach in the mold of bellichil and coughlin.

To me and I heard this the other day on wdae. They made an interesting point. College coaches are tough for nfl guys to buy into why? Bc players know if they fail in the pros, they'll immediately find work again at their old gig. It's true. See saban, spurrier and petrino as examples who fled ship after failure or own resignation.

That's where it's tough to build the trust.

We don't know the entire story. We're there decisions made by Dom that tick schiano off?

I can tell you one move. Schiano preaches the buccaneer man as accountability. Well bucs just saved and opened up a roster spot to Jeff demps. He doesn't fit schianos mold. He chose track over training camp yet he's here.

Dom is running the ship. I think there is a lot going on between the front office and coaching staff we are not aware of.
Lil' Shorty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caaddy24 wrote:
This is stupid... let's just change coaches every 2 years until we get one that makes the playoffs Evil or Very Mad ... hell not even 2 years, 1 year and 2 weeks...

We hire Raheem morris who's a players coach and he loses the locker room... we hire Schiano who's the complete opposite to install discipline, and he supposedly loses the locker room (though I'm not sure on that yet, we're just basing it off "reports")

I completely understand your frustration, I'm right there with you. But outside of all the articles being written about players not liking his hard nose style, I see a much bigger problem...

Schiano doesn't make adjustments. It's his way or the highway. Take the defense for example. Why the eff are we continuing to play Revis in zone. Put him in man and work the defensive calls around the players you have. Nothing is changing.. You can say this is on Sheridan but Schiano is the head dog and whether he is too bull headed to fire his first ever appointed DC or just thinks the players should work in his system regardless, something is up and it's a coaching problem I don't see changing.

Ill give the offense a bit more lee way due to Freeman being the second coming of Jamarcus Russell this season. But still, the play calling bothers me. We do a pass that goes incomplete on 1st down then run it into a stacked box (completely predictable) for a gaid of 3 on 2nd down and are always faced with 3rd and long. Then occasionally when we have 3rd and short we do a 20 yard pass play that goes incomplete. Also, we are SO conservative. If we could play for a tie every game I think we would. We get into FG range at the end of games than just roll over and hope we make the kick to win instead of going up by more than a FG or actually scoring points.

These are all coaching flaws that I don't see changing and why I think we need a new HC. Raheem and Schiano are polar opposites, we need someone in the middle. Preferably an offensive mind IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caaddy24 wrote:

What is worse, having a head coach who is doing a bad job or a long time? Or switching coaches?

Schiano is making a lot of mistakes. The offense is not tailored to Freeman very well at all (although he is still playing horribly). The team is committing tons of penalties. The defense doesn't seem tailored to personnel either.

I've always felt that was a mark of a bad coach, fitting round pegs into square holes.
deuces22wild

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

REDandPEWTER wrote:
We're there decisions made by Dom that tick schiano off?

I can tell you one move. Schiano preaches the buccaneer man as accountability. Well bucs just saved and opened up a roster spot to Jeff demps. He doesn't fit schianos mold. He chose track over training camp yet he's here.

Dom is running the ship. I think there is a lot going on between the front office and coaching staff we are not aware of.

We know, you want to tie Dom up with rope to the back of a horse and be the one that slaps the horses arse Laughing

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8310/jeff-demps

Quote:
Bucs activated KR Jeff Demps from the exempt/commissioner's permission list.Demps was given special dispensation from the league after missing all of the offseason and training camp for the track and field season. They cleared a spot for the speedster by placing TE Luke Stocker on IR. Demps should slide right in as the Bucs kickoff returner.

Adding a world class athelite that has the one thing we are sorely missing on offense and special teams... speed!

FIRE DOM!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly would rather see us let go of Sullivan first before Schiano.

On offense it seems like we are completely incapable of making adjustments and changing things up. While the players are partly to blame, that falls on coaching. We are so damn predictable, and it's a shame because we are wasting so much talent. I think that defenses have caught up to this scheme. Look at what Eli and the Giants are doing right now. They are a mess too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaRealdeal wrote:

On offense it seems like we are completely incapable of making adjustments and changing things up. While the players are partly to blame, that falls on coaching. We are so damn predictable, and it's a shame because we are wasting so much talent. I think that defenses have caught up to this scheme. Look at what Eli and the Giants are doing right now. They are a mess too.

This.

Mcnulty was schianos first choice.
BFFL5678

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaRealdeal wrote:

To me this is a great point, I think we all forget how last year we were upset because we hired the HC so late and trying to get an OC and DC was going to be difficult. We pretty got what was left of the pickings last year and made no changes this year. When it comes to the defense maybe the reason they have not gone man coverage with Revis is because he is not fully 100 percent. As fans we donít always get the whole story of whatís going on. I know it would be nice to let Revis go one on one and be able to blitz a safety a little more. As for the offense I did not get to watch this week game because I was visiting the in-laws but when Freeman throws 41 pass and only hit I think it was 16 thatís a problem. One he has no weapons besides the three so he has no outlet. Second he just looks uncomfortable back in the pocket; I still say we should trade him to Jacksonville and start Glennon. Let the HC go with a QB he really wants, not one they really donít have faith in. Finally I would say this is Schiano fault stop getting Rutgers players, yeah they did great when you coached but you played in the Big East. There were or are too many free agents that have better resume out there.
bucstopshere

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaRealdeal wrote:

Yup I think that the offensive scheme is terrible. NFLhilosophy (former Bucs FO guy) Says that Freeman is asked to make the toughest throws in the NFL on every pass. The routes are terrible, and not even Aaron Rodgers could succeed with this scheme.

Look at Eli, minus his playoff runs....Terrible

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucstopshere wrote:
DaRealdeal wrote:

Yup I think that the offensive scheme is terrible. NFLhilosophy (former Bucs FO guy) Says that Freeman is asked to make the toughest throws in the NFL on every pass. The routes are terrible, and not even Aaron Rodgers could succeed with this scheme.

Look at Eli, minus his playoff runs....Terrible

Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't Schiano the one who wanted to run this offense? So the head if the problem is Schiano. I hate to break it to you but he isn't changing his offenses or defenses while HC. He will use players like he does and have Sully run the offense he does.

As for Aaron Rodgers, I think he could make the throws.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caaddy24 wrote:

Agreed.
96BucsBallin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: HC Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Lil' Shorty wrote:

I said this in another thread, but I believe it would be wiser to fire our OC at the end of the season and hire him to be our OC. And draft that QB from Oregon.
Lil' Shorty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: HC Discussion Thread Reply with quote

96BucsBallin wrote:
Lil' Shorty wrote:

I said this in another thread, but I believe it would be wiser to fire our OC at the end of the season and hire him to be our OC. And draft that QB from Oregon.

First off, there is no way Sumlin leaves Texas A&M after 2 seasons the possibility to become a national powerhouse, to be an OC in the NFL. Second, Schiano doesnt seem like one to ever change scheme. I firmly believe we will see some sort of Sullivan offense and Sheridan zone stunt defense as long as Schiano is here, even if those coordinators arent the ones we have.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 1 of 40

Jump to: