Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 draft is stacked at QB, trade up or never win a SB
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanedafx wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
kanedafx wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
Whatever. Less than 3 weeks ago Amazing Andre and I went through this entire Schaub debate about as detailed as possible. All that has changed since then is that Schaub has further disproven the myth that he can't drive our team to victory to close games (as if the Lions and Jags games didn't happen last year) while also unfortunately adding to some concerns about throwing damaging ints. While AX2 and I clearly disagree on this topic, neither of us chooses the second after a big loss or a big win to proclaim how right we were all along and we most certainly don't hop into forums with our Texans sigs and proceed to tell fans of that team why their team will never go anywhere and then trot out ignorant lists of people we think are better than their QB. Gosh, if only we had some recent reference point on Philip Rivers vs. Matt Schaub, but I guess I should just count myself lucky Jake Locker's "potential" wasn't included on "the list." I guess there will always be people out there that walk thru life thinking Michael Vick is a better QB than Matt Schaub despite Schaub being superior in every possible objective measure of a QB aside from rushing yards.

For whatever reason, bashing Matt Schaub has always been fashionable and no matter how many times he disproves the various fallacies about him, there is always some new gripe around the corner and some new group of players supposedly better than him. Since Kubiak got here in 06, and we somehow chose to bypass Vince Young's athleticism and Matt Leinart's winning presence, there has always been some version of those two that would be superior to what we ended up with Schaub in 07. There's always some big armed, fast, athletic, "winner" out there who would do better, yet somehow there Schaub sits behind Mannning & Brady in the AFC. There are always those QBs like Eli, Ben, and Flacco who's rings are offered up as proof of their greatness, yet when their defenses, offensive lines, and/or run games aren't the amongst best in the NFL where is the discussion about how they just don't have what it takes? Guess what, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady don't have a ring amongst them in seasons where their defenses and running games weren't peaking and I don't recall Brees or Rodgers rolling thru the playoffs on the strength of their overriding "greatness" the past two seasons.

If you care to read more on the subject, I'd encourage you to explore this thread...
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=529339&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

You say this as if the Texans aren't stacked at almost every other position. It's clear to everyone but the most deluded Texans fans that Schaub is what's holding us back (well, and Kubiak).

Well golly, with that solid reasoning and well researched analysis, I must now concede that you must be right. TJ Yates is the man to take on Seattle & SF. Now that you've solved that maybe you can fix the US health care system or solve global warming. I'm sure your version of "everyone" agrees on the solutions there as well.

When have I said TJ Yates is the solution? I was talking about PROBLEMS not solutions.

Everyone but the most deluded Texans fans would agree that Schaub is holding the Texans back (and Kubiak too, but no way he's going anywhere). Doubt it all you want, but I will stand by that.

As for solutions, there are a few:
-Trade Schaub for draft picks, move up and get a potential franchise QB
-Trade the farm for Big Ben
-Groom Case Keenum (he has the upside to be a franchise QB, TJ Yates does not)

There are probably more I'm not thinking of, but those seem most obvious. What is also obvious is that we'll never sniff a Lombardi with the Schaub/Kubiak combo.

Gawd, just when I thought I was out, I'm back in. Are we talking about the same Big Ben who led his team to an 8-8 record last year despite having the #1 defense yet again and is off to an 0-3 start this year? I've got to figure out who this guys PR Rep is because he's been working overtime on Ben his entire career. Ben has had the benefit of a defense that since he came into the league in 04 has been #1 overall 5 times, and top 5 overall 9 of his 10 seasons. I've lost count of all the rationalizations for them falling short, but lately it's the OC, O-line, and RBs. Funny how Bruce Arians managed to turn a talentless Colts offense into a machine despite parts like Vick Ballard, TY Hilton, Donnie Avery and duct tape o-line. In case you didn't catch the Bears game this week instead of just reading the box score and being wowed by 400 yards, that was Big Ben throwing 2 ints including one of those pick 6 thingys from a perfect pocket. Oh yes, how about fumbling 3 times in one game and losing 2 of them? Hmm, was that his latest ex-OC across from him that seemingly has figured out a way to cure Cutler of his habit of holding onto the ball too damn long and taking unnecessary sacks and hits so maybe it hasn't ALL been the o-lines fault?

Ben played that exact same Titans team we did and took 5 sacks, threw an int with 1 td (and another fumble), while Schaub racked up 300 yards and 3 tds and atoned for his his int by driving his team 3 straight times in the 4th quarter and OT (TD / missed FG / TD).

Schaub's record is 21-8 since Wade Phillips brought a decent defense to pair with the offense. Your boy Rivers and Ben have both had seasons where they frittered away the #1 defense in the NFL by failing to even guide their teams into the playoffs. Heck, let's stop pretending like the Texans defense was extraordinary last year as it the Steelers were #1 and Chargers #9 with us #7, yet we were 12-4, Steelers 8-8, and Chargers 7-9. I don't think you could find a single game over the past 3 seasons where Schaub has been the sole "weak link" in any loss but rather he has failed to overcome either a special teams TD (Colts, Ravens, Raiders), poor defensive effort (Packers, Patriots, Saints), or absence of the running game (Vikings).

Rivers and Ben both have egos so large that they can't accept that their teams do better when they throw less and neither seems willing to adapt to the fact that the deep option isn't always the preferred one even if you don't get to show off that big arm like it's your manhood. Say what you will about Schaub's mobility, but at least he is self-aware enough to know that he is better off throwing a ball away than taking sacks and risking fumbles which is a lesson these two Bledsoe's have never learned.

Again, stop holding Schaub up to some standard that you don't hold these other Qbs to. Hell, I'll even go straight to the top as you might want to check Manning's playoff performance before you go handing them the Lombardi as last time I checked Manning has lost 11 playoff games vs. 9 wins. If that was the Texans who lost to the Ravens, Texan fans would surely be crucifying Matt instead of Rahim Moore. Remember the Jacoby play merely tied the game in regulation. Manning had the ball in his hands to drive for the win in overtime, yet HE threw an awful interception to hand the game to the Ravens (his 3rd turnover of the day).

The Ravens made the Super Bowl last year because they held the Pats and Tom Brady to 13 points, while we gave up 42 & 41 points to them. Schaub can certainly improve, but it remains a massive stretch to hold him solely accountable for any inability for the Texans to get over the hump last year or as proof he can't this year. If anything, what you are suggesting is that the Ravens should have used their 2011 loss to the Patriots (or Flacco's 3 previous playoff losses) as proof that Flacco could never get them over the hump and just ditched him to save money or get draft picks once they lost to the Texans last year (or the Eagles, Steelers, Redskins, Broncos, or Bengals).

What else you got?

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
kanedafx

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:

What else you got?

How about today's game? Very Happy

Talk about vindication.

In FOUR of his last SIX games he has thrown a pick 6.

In THREE of the FOUR games this season he has thrown a pick 6.

So about 75% of the time the man is throwing a pick 6 to the other team. In any other organization, Schaub would be benched. But in the Texans scheme of "we're friends outside the locker room too!" he'll continue to get shots and continue to take this team NOWHERE.

Last edited by kanedafx on Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Grasspike

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanedafx wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:

What else you got?

Talk about vindication.

So about 75% of the time the man is throwing a pick 6 to the other team. In any other organization, Schaub would be benched. But in the Texans scheme of "we're friends outside the locker room too!" he'll continue to get shots and continue to take these team NOWHERE.

Random statistical variation. Throw enough passes and eventually, you'll get an oddball streak like this.

Of course, you're also completely ignoring the first half, in which he torched the vaunted Seahawks defense like no one has done this year...

Sig by matthouston91
amazingandre

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasspike wrote:
kanedafx wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:

What else you got?

Talk about vindication.

So about 75% of the time the man is throwing a pick 6 to the other team. In any other organization, Schaub would be benched. But in the Texans scheme of "we're friends outside the locker room too!" he'll continue to get shots and continue to take these team NOWHERE.

Random statistical variation. Throw enough passes and eventually, you'll get an oddball streak like this.

Of course, you're also completely ignoring the first half, in which he torched the vaunted Seahawks defense like no one has done this year...

youre really gonna sit there and defend schaub?
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasspike wrote:

Now, I understand that...and you know my stance on this for the most part. However, what happened today tells me one thing: Matt is simply snakebit. He's now at the point where he is pressing SO hard, he is making the same mistake over and over again.

I have been a staunch Schaub supporter for the longest time, so it is strange to say this...but perhaps Matt needs a change of scenery. He is getting to the point to where the pressure is SO magnified with him, he's simply collapsing under the weight of that pressure.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
canyon1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer to all of this is ALREADY in the NFL... You mean to tell me that the Redskins gave up the FARM to St. Louis to draft their franchise QB to draft another QB later in the draft.... KIRK COUSINS has our name all over it ... Personally I feel that we were looking to draft him and he got picked up sooner than we expected. Redksins coaching staff knows Kubiak inside and out due to father and son (shanahan). I get the vibe we are going to give up a 2nd round pick to land Cousins and the Redskins will be estatic to do the deal. Turning a 4th to a 2nd seems like they are trying to regain some of there investment from RG3 and it starts with Houston trading for Cousins... I also see Cousins coming in and wearing the SAME number as Carr, Schaub which to me would be ironic. Cousins has a deep ball and has a little more mobility than Schaub. Its like a combination of Carr and Schaub would how i would descirbe Cousins. I mean i am probably wrong i just see this as a good chance of happening.
kanedafx

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canyon1 wrote:
The answer to all of this is ALREADY in the NFL... You mean to tell me that the Redskins gave up the FARM to St. Louis to draft their franchise QB to draft another QB later in the draft.... KIRK COUSINS has our name all over it ... Personally I feel that we were looking to draft him and he got picked up sooner than we expected. Redksins coaching staff knows Kubiak inside and out due to father and son (shanahan). I get the vibe we are going to give up a 2nd round pick to land Cousins and the Redskins will be estatic to do the deal. Turning a 4th to a 2nd seems like they are trying to regain some of there investment from RG3 and it starts with Houston trading for Cousins... I also see Cousins coming in and wearing the SAME number as Carr, Schaub which to me would be ironic. Cousins has a deep ball and has a little more mobility than Schaub. Its like a combination of Carr and Schaub would how i would descirbe Cousins. I mean i am probably wrong i just see this as a good chance of happening.

That might be a temporary solution, but Cousins is not a franchise QB either.

Keenum has the upside. I say we start him at practice tomorrow and see how it goes, play him if he looks capable. He at least has the POSSIBILITY to be a top 10 QB.

Imagine what this team could do with a top 10 QB, just imagine.
Grasspike

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanedafx wrote:
canyon1 wrote:

That might be a temporary solution, but Cousins is not a franchise QB either.

Keenum has the upside. I say we start him at practice tomorrow and see how it goes, play him if he looks capable. He at least has the POSSIBILITY to be a top 10 QB.

Imagine what this team could do with a top 10 QB, just imagine.

Probably a lot like it would look now

Sig by matthouston91
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanedafx wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:

What else you got?

Talk about vindication.

So about 75% of the time the man is throwing a pick 6 to the other team. In any other organization, Schaub would be benched. But in the Texans scheme of "we're friends outside the locker room too!" he'll continue to get shots and continue to take this team NOWHERE.

Just go away already, troll. You show up two weeks ago after a dismal effort and act as if your "Matt Schaub sucks" insight reveals anything and now we get a week of "I told you so." Joe Flacco threw 5 interceptions today and lost to the pathetic Bills & Big Ben went to 0-4 by losing to Matt Cassel - stop acting as if your argument is anything more than it is - kicking us when we're down.

There have been perfectly valid arguments against Matt Schaub (just not any made by you) both before and after today they will be even more valid. I clearly stated last week, that if Matt continued to make damaging decisions, he would need to hit the pine. Unlike you, however, I take no joy in having arrived at the point at which we are here because it means we WILL NOT be going anywhere this year as any stinking argument you make about Schaub will only be magnified three-fold by Yates or Keenum. All it means is that we will remain a team of unrealized potential for another season and that is nothing to celebrate aside from the "I told you so" crowd. Again, just because Matt Schaub screwed up again today, it doesn't make any of the morons who scream "just trade him and draft a QB" right as there are dozens of Qbs that have been drafted highly that have been much more epically useless than Schaub has been. Heck, Kaepernick is one of the good ones and he wishes he was close enough to lose the game considering he threw 3 ints with only 127 yards passing and no Tds. No, we are just moving quickly to that "McNabb has to go" phase like the Eagles once were - doesn't mean the Eagles fans booing the McNabb over Ricky Williams pick were right - it just means windows of opportunity don't stay open that long in this league and if that guy can't get it done, you have to move on. Let's just be careful what we wish for as the Eagles fans dancing once McNabb was run out of town might not have been so happy if they saw the 11 team team McNabb guided degenerate into the 4 win team last year that ended the Reid era as well.

But hey, Saints fan, congrats on correctly ripping the Texans QB the past 2 weeks. Maybe you can fix the Astros next...

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
amazingandre

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
kanedafx wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:

What else you got?

Talk about vindication.

Just go away already, troll. You show up two weeks ago after a dismal effort and act as if your "Matt Schaub sucks" insight reveals anything and now we get a week of "I told you so." Joe Flacco threw 5 interceptions today and lost to the pathetic Bills & Big Ben went to 0-4 by losing to Matt Cassel - stop acting as if your argument is anything more than it is - kicking us when we're down.

There have been perfectly valid arguments against Matt Schaub (just not any made by you) both before and after today they will be even more valid. I clearly stated last week, that if Matt continued to make damaging decisions, he would need to hit the pine. Unlike you, however, I take no joy in having arrived at the point at which we are here because it means we WILL NOT be going anywhere this year as any stinking argument you make about Schaub will only be magnified three-fold by Yates or Keenum. All it means is that we will remain a team of unrealized potential for another season and that is nothing to celebrate aside from the "I told you so" crowd. Again, just because Matt Schaub screwed up again today, it doesn't make any of the morons who scream "just trade him and draft a QB" right as there are dozens of Qbs that have been drafted highly that have been much more epically useless than Schaub has been. Heck, Kaepernick is one of the good ones and he wishes he was close enough to lose the game considering he threw 3 ints with only 127 yards passing and no Tds. No, we are just moving quickly to that "McNabb has to go" phase like the Eagles once were - doesn't mean the Eagles fans booing the McNabb over Ricky Williams pick were right - it just means windows of opportunity don't stay open that long in this league and if that guy can't get it done, you have to move on. Let's just be careful what we wish for as the Eagles fans dancing once McNabb was run out of town might not have been so happy if they saw the 11 team team McNabb guided degenerate into the 4 win team last year that ended the Reid era as well.

But hey, Saints fan, congrats on correctly ripping the Texans QB the past 2 weeks. Maybe you can fix the Astros next...

while you and I disagree about Schaub, I agree with you about this posing Texan fan who rips our qb and team and pretends to be a fan. Just go be a Saints fan and be done with it dude.
norg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orrrrr we stick with schaub

he wrecks the 49ers on primetime and murks the rams and chiefs

we go 5-2 at the bye

then te most important game INDY and locker looks hurt so the ttans will be tacked soon we win the divison again for the third time and maybe nally make it to the SB but lose LOL an everything is hunky dory again

then use the hole off season to trade schaub and gets Yates and keenum rdy
CAS22

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/30/texans-can-escape-schaubs-contract-after-the-season/

Quote:
Per a source with knowledge of the contract, the cap hit becomes somewhat manageable after the 2013 season. If the Texans designate Schaub as a post-June 1 cut, the cap charge in 2014 would be $3.5 million. In 2015, $7 million in dead money would apply.

Quote:
The Texans also would avoid paying Schaub $10 million next season by cutting him, along with another $1 million in total per-game roster bonuses.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
kanedafx wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:

What else you got?

Talk about vindication.

while you and I disagree about Schaub, I agree with you about this posing Texan fan who rips our qb and team and pretends to be a fan. Just go be a Saints fan and be done with it dude.

Apollo and ax2: while I too do not appreciate kanedafx's posts the past couple of weeks, he hasn't broken any forum rules with anything yet. If you have a problem with anything he says, pm me and we'll discuss it.

That said, kanedafx, that does not give you free reign in this forum. Please realize that most of the fans in this forum view it as an insult when you come in clad in full Saints regalia and claim to know more about the Texans than fans like ax2, who is as dedicated to his team as anyone I've ever met.

Sig by matthouston91
kanedafx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasspike wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
kanedafx wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:

What else you got?

Talk about vindication.

Apollo and ax2: while I too do not appreciate kanedafx's posts the past couple of weeks, he hasn't broken any forum rules with anything yet. If you have a problem with anything he says, pm me and we'll discuss it.

That said, kanedafx, that does not give you free reign in this forum. Please realize that most of the fans in this forum view it as an insult when you come in clad in full Saints regalia and claim to know more about the Texans than fans like ax2, who is as dedicated to his team as anyone I've ever met.

I am not trying to troll, I've lived in Houston over a decade and my house is draped in Saints AND Texans merch. I don't see why I can't be a fan of both. I'm from Louisiana and I live in Houston. I love both teams and follow both teams closely. It's not mutually exclusive, they only play each other once every 4 years! So ONE game every four years I have to pick a favorite, otherwise I can easily cheer for both.

And since I live here, I'm actually more familiar with the Texans than the Saints. I listen to 790 and 610 during both commutes and pretty much anytime I'm in the car, I read the Houston Chronicle, I watch local news, and I've been to more Texans games than Saints games, including both playoff wins.

I've never been a Schaub or Kubiak guy, you could dig up some old posts that could easily prove that. I'm not "trolling", when the Saints were trying to stick with Aaron Brooks and Jim Haslett in very similar circumstances, I took them to task for that just like I'm taking the Texans organization to task for sticking with the Schaub/Kubiak regime. I'm demanding accountability, that's all.
TheOsprey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked the Texans to win the Superbowl, but watching Matt Schaub play this year, it is becoming painfully obvious that he is the weak link on this team. You guys had that game in the bag, had Schaub not made the most boneheaded throw I've seen all year. Unfortunately, I just don't see the Texans reaching the Superbowl now, with Schaub as the starter. It looks like the guy has hit his ceiling and this is the best he's ever gonna get. With that said, I don't believe Houston needs to move up to grab one of the top QB's in 2014. This is a deep draft at that position and I believe if they used a 2nd or 3rd round pick on someone like Mettenberger, McCarron or Murray, that would be a huge upgrade over Schaub.

The Texans are loaded. They don't need much. I believe if they take a NT, which could be had in round 1 and then a QB in round 2, that could make this team far and away the favorites for a Superbowl berth.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: