Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 draft is stacked at QB, trade up or never win a SB
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kanedafx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: 2014 draft is stacked at QB, trade up or never win a SB Reply with quote

The Texan's have a window of a few years to have a dynasty, but without a franchise QB (or a new HC at least), they will never sniff a Lombardi. And Kubiak is loved by the owner so he's going anywhere despite clearly being a Offensive Coordinator trying to be a HC.

So let's talk QB situation.

When Matt Schaub started playing for the Texans, he was actually a decent QB, easily in the top half, probably top 10.

But QBs are getting faster, more mobile, able to play at a high level right out of college. We've seen this with Newton, Luck, Wilson, and flashes of it with RGIII and Kaepernick.

Schaub also seems to have regressed. Few people would list him in the top half of the league now. And unfortunately, he's not even a Trent Dilfer game manager with all those pick 6's. And while the Texans are stacked, they need a little more than a game manager to win. They don't need Aaron Rodgers, but they do need a Joe Flacco style winner (and I by no means think Flacco is elite, but he can make plays).

So I think the answer is, trade Schaub and TJ Yates for whatever you can get for them. Trade up and draft one of these potential franchise QBs. There's plenty to pick from, so you wouldn't have to move up far.

Mariota, Boyd, Manziel, Bridgewater, Hundley, and despite the unfortunate family connection even Carr.

Any of these could potentially be a franchise QB. Even Keenum has the potential to develop into one, I think. Take a chance now or never win the big one, it's that simple.

DISCLAIMER: Yes I am a Saints fan #1, but I've lived in Houston 10 years now, and I go for the Texans against anyone but the Saints. I want the boys on Kirby to win the big one since the Saints already have, but they just won't under the Schaub/Kubiak regime
kanedafx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add, even if you want to play Schaub in 2014, you can start mentoring the new potential franchise QB and groom him for 2015. But this draft class certainly seems like the time to draft a stud QB, some of them might not even go in the top 10.
ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PREACH! This teams going to be lucky to break .500. Start Yates and fire Kubes so we can bomb with the Jags for Teddy Bridgewater.
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we move this convo to the draft thread

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swaggg" Swearinger
48 tot, 1 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree with your general concept of getting rid of Schaub and moving on to another QB with franchise potential, it will make no difference unless you get rid of Kubiak as well. His offensive concepts are old and tired, he's stubborn and refuses to make changes.
kanedafx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
While I agree with your general concept of getting rid of Schaub and moving on to another QB with franchise potential, it will make no difference unless you get rid of Kubiak as well. His offensive concepts are old and tired, he's stubborn and refuses to make changes.

See, I think if we had a franchise QB we could win IN SPITE of Kubiak. The team is just stacked everywhere, from RB to DL to to WR to Secondary. OL seems to be the only real weakness besides QB.

It wouldn't be easy, but it would be possible. However, without a franchise QB to lead the team on the field and a glorified OC as the HC "leading" the team from the sidelines, there's just no way you win the big ones.

Last year we lucked into a cupcake schedule and got exposed down the stretch. With that Ravens game, we might be getting exposed already.
kanedafx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ServantofYHWH wrote:
PREACH! This teams going to be lucky to break .500. Start Yates and fire Kubes so we can bomb with the Jags for Teddy Bridgewater.

Not sure if serious, but that's a little too drastic.

Here's something a little more reasonable:

Trade Schaub to a team on the brink that feels like it could win NOW with a decent QB. Unfortunately these rookie QBs have been so good lately, Schaub's trade value is almost nonexistent. Maybe the Vikings would take him for like a 3rd or something? Buccaneers? I can't really think of too many other teams that think they have a winning roster except at QB and would take Schaub right now or even in the off season. No team with a high draft pick would take him over these promising rookies.

Also you could trade Yates to a team that needs a capable back-up for a 6th or something. Stockpile a couple of picks, trade the farm to move up and snag a potential franchise QB.

It's the only way I see the Texans winning a SB before we lose Watt/Johnson/Foster/Cushing...etc.

If we DON'T get a QB in this draft, it might be a looooong time before we have a shot at another good one. Teams just don't trade good QBs or even above average ones.
Grasspike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic is differentiated enough that it can stay out of the draft thread.

I completely disagree with the majority of the points made in here for several reasons:

1) The Texans don't run old and tired offensive concepts. They run essentially the same offense as the Redskins, minus a few read-option plays. They run many of the same plays as New Orleans and Green Bay, who most people consider extremely innovative offenses. Honestly, the way the Texans use play-action is more innovative than two-thirds of NFL offenses.

2) There's no way this team doesn't break .500. If the Texans don't finish 10-6 or better, I'll eat my hat. And enshrine a photo of me doing so in my sig.

3) Schaub right now is a better QB than and of the young guns. Are you upset with Schaub's crucial mistakes? Talk to some Panthers fans about that. Andrew Luck throws too many picks. Russell Wilson is a glorified game manager at this point. A less mobile RGIII has proven to be mortal. Kaepernick is struggling more now that teams have a year of film on him. Will almost all of these QB's be better than Schaub in two years? Almost certainly. But the Texans window is right now, and there isn't a better option.

4) The 2014 crop of QB's is supposed to be elite, but so was last year's at this point in the season. Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, Tyler Wilson, and Landry Jones were all assumed to be first round draft picks before the actual season exposed their flaws. It'll be the same way with this class.

The truth is, no one's more popular than the backup quarterback, unless you're blessed with having a Brees, Brady, Rodgers, (P) Manning fall into your lap. Schaub is much less of a problem than a very mortal-looking Arian Foster, an O-line that hasn't been the same without Eric Winston, not enough variety in our receivers' skilsets to have threats at three different levels like the offense is made to do, Jonathan Joseph not being the same player he was his first year in Houston, and Shiloh Keo on the roster (let alone starting). Houston had a rough couple of games, but they'll right the ship soon (likely without changing much) and there won't be the same call to arms from fans.

All that said, I wouldn't be opposed to finding someone to replace Schaub a couple of years down the road. Whether that means trading for Kirk Cousins or Foles/Barkley or drafting one, I think that would be a good idea. I just don't think it would be a good idea this season.

Sig by matthouston91
kanedafx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasspike wrote:

I completely disagree with the majority of the points made in here for several reasons:

1) The Texans don't run old and tired offensive concepts. They run essentially the same offense as the Redskins, minus a few read-option plays. They run many of the same plays as New Orleans and Green Bay, who most people consider extremely innovative offenses. Honestly, the way the Texans use play-action is more innovative than two-thirds of NFL offenses.

2) There's no way this team doesn't break .500. If the Texans don't finish 10-6 or better, I'll eat my hat. And enshrine a photo of me doing so in my sig.

3) Schaub right now is a better QB than and of the young guns. Are you upset with Schaub's crucial mistakes? Talk to some Panthers fans about that. Andrew Luck throws too many picks. Russell Wilson is a glorified game manager at this point. A less mobile RGIII has proven to be mortal. Kaepernick is struggling more now that teams have a year of film on him. Will almost all of these QB's be better than Schaub in two years? Almost certainly. But the Texans window is right now, and there isn't a better option.

4) The 2014 crop of QB's is supposed to be elite, but so was last year's at this point in the season. Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, Tyler Wilson, and Landry Jones were all assumed to be first round draft picks before the actual season exposed their flaws. It'll be the same way with this class.

The truth is, no one's more popular than the backup quarterback, unless you're blessed with having a Brees, Brady, Rodgers, (P) Manning fall into your lap. Schaub is much less of a problem than a very mortal-looking Arian Foster, an O-line that hasn't been the same without Eric Winston, not enough variety in our receivers' skilsets to have threats at three different levels like the offense is made to do, Jonathan Joseph not being the same player he was his first year in Houston, and Shiloh Keo on the roster (let alone starting). Houston had a rough couple of games, but they'll right the ship soon (likely without changing much) and there won't be the same call to arms from fans.

All that said, I wouldn't be opposed to finding someone to replace Schaub a couple of years down the road. Whether that means trading for Kirk Cousins or Foles/Barkley or drafting one, I think that would be a good idea. I just don't think it would be a good idea this season.

By the time you are done riding the Schaub horse, Johnson/Foster/Watt/Cushing and other marque players will be long gone. You're right that the window is now, but you're not going to win anything with Schaub/Kubiak. It's just not happening.
ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasspike wrote:

What kind of hat are you wearing and when you eat it will you be needing ketchup or tobasco?

You can't peg Schaub for being all the problem when a lot has to do with an offensive line tht gets little push and is thin as can be. But he's got a ton of blame to take for this offense. We need him to pass like he did before we had a run game but it looks like there's no way to get that passing game back, and that's fine even if he could be a great game manager that gives us passing when our run game fails against superior opponents but he's barely getting this team past mediocre teams and gets us FGs against quality teams. Schaubs not going to get us to the Super Bowl. He'll get us into the playoffs but he won't get us to a Super Bowl.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost as predictable as Kubiak's playcalling are the immediate calls to throw in the towel on Schaub and draft a franchise QB at the first sign of trouble.

1) Texans would be 0-3 without Schaub.
2) Fast mobile Qb's - bla bla bla. RG3 0-3, Kaepernick 1-2, Vick 1-2, Newton 1-2, Freeman 0-3, Manuel 1-2, Pryor -1-1. STFU on the ignorant running QB bs already! Russell Wilson is the exception, but in case you haven't noticed, he has improved because he's staying in the pocket and not running at the first sign of pressure this year (only 19 yards rushing per game).
3) "Winner QBs" - How about Eli & Ben both at 0-3.
4) If I could name the 3 Qbs most comparable to Schaub it would be Cutler, Tannehill, and Alex Smith all of whom are 3-0. Peyton Manning is the MOST immobile QB in the NFL and the 3-0 MVP frontrunner out of the gate. This has NOTHING to do with any sort of "new breed vs. old breed" QB argument.
5) Do I really need to trot out the names of all those "can't miss" 1st round Qbs that have bombed since Kubiak got here? You say - Mariota, Boyd, Manziel, Bridgewater, Hundley, I say Gabbert, Locker, Weeden, Ponder, Tebow, Bradford, Clausen, Sanchez, Russell, Quinn, Young, Lienart

Without question, Schaub can't keep throwing pick 6's. If he continues to do so, he needs to hit the bench, & its next man up. There are no excuses. However, as far as I'm concerned the secondary has been BY FAR the bigger problem in each of these games. Beyond the yardage given up to teams with substandard receivers, frigging JohnJoe, Kjack, and McCain have committed an OBSCENE 13 penalties thru 3 games which is made worse since almost all of them handed teams first downs. Hell, I'm all for hanging a healthy chunk of blame on Gary yesterday, but how about Wade's defense not commit all those absurd penalties and contribute a game changing play of their own? Schaub has stepped up in crunch time twice before - Wade's defense came out of the locker room and gave up a 4 minute TD drive, a 3:44 drive w/punt, 6:15 w/FG, 3:51 w/FG. Schaub got the ball 3 times the entire second half folks - he would have had to have been perfect w/a 2pt conversion to even tie! The Ravens weren't gashing the D, but they were eating up clock which was their mission and the defense failed horribly to get a single critical stop despite a complete lack of talent on the other side. Schaub went up against a formidable defense with a garbage o-line - the Texans D couldn't stop one of the worst offenses in the NFL this side of Tampa & Jacksonville when they needed to better yet force a turnover (1 in 3 games).

Schaub has made a few bad plays, but has also marched us right down the field plenty of times. It's hard to throw TD passes when the coach calls plays that don't even send receivers into the end zone on successive drives inside the 10. Where are the calls to bench Arian and his pathetic 3.9 ypc, dropped balls, a long run of 16 yards. Dude gets all the credit when things are good, yet a scrub like Bilal Powell is doing more to win games than Foster is right now.

Schaub deserves some of the blame for sure, but IMO any draft talk would be much better served focusing on MUCH weaker links at RT and CB. Heck, how about someone start asking where the heck last years #1 pick has been so far?

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
kurtatx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ServantofYHWH wrote:
Grasspike wrote:

What kind of hat are you wearing and when you eat it will you be needing ketchup or tobasco?

You can't peg Schaub for being all the problem when a lot has to do with an offensive line tht gets little push and is thin as can be. But he's got a ton of blame to take for this offense. We need him to pass like he did before we had a run game but it looks like there's no way to get that passing game back, and that's fine even if he could be a great game manager that gives us passing when our run game fails against superior opponents but he's barely getting this team past mediocre teams and gets us FGs against quality teams. Schaubs not going to get us to the Super Bowl. He'll get us into the playoffs but he won't get us to a Super Bowl.

I'm inclined to agree with this, but worse quarterbacks have been to and won the Super Bowl. Before week 1 I would have said the Texans have a good enough team to get to a Super Bowl anyway, but now I'm not that sure.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurtatx wrote:
ServantofYHWH wrote:
Grasspike wrote:

I'm inclined to agree with this, but worse quarterbacks have been to and won the Super Bowl. Before week 1 I would have said the Texans have a good enough team to get to a Super Bowl anyway, but now I'm not that sure.

Worse qbs with far better teams around them. Even rarer does that QB win you a Super Bowl.
ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
Almost as predictable as Kubiak's playcalling are the immediate calls to throw in the towel on Schaub and draft a franchise QB at the first sign of trouble.

1) Texans would be 0-3 without Schaub.
2) Fast mobile Qb's - bla bla bla. RG3 0-3, Kaepernick 1-2, Vick 1-2, Newton 1-2, Freeman 0-3, Manuel 1-2, Pryor -1-1. STFU on the ignorant running QB bs already! Russell Wilson is the exception, but in case you haven't noticed, he has improved because he's staying in the pocket and not running at the first sign of pressure this year (only 19 yards rushing per game).
3) "Winner QBs" - How about Eli & Ben both at 0-3.
4) If I could name the 3 Qbs most comparable to Schaub it would be Cutler, Tannehill, and Alex Smith all of whom are 3-0. Peyton Manning is the MOST immobile QB in the NFL and the 3-0 MVP frontrunner out of the gate. This has NOTHING to do with any sort of "new breed vs. old breed" QB argument.
5) Do I really need to trot out the names of all those "can't miss" 1st round Qbs that have bombed since Kubiak got here? You say - Mariota, Boyd, Manziel, Bridgewater, Hundley, I say Gabbert, Locker, Weeden, Ponder, Tebow, Bradford, Clausen, Sanchez, Russell, Quinn, Young, Lienart

Without question, Schaub can't keep throwing pick 6's. If he continues to do so, he needs to hit the bench, & its next man up. There are no excuses. However, as far as I'm concerned the secondary has been BY FAR the bigger problem in each of these games. Beyond the yardage given up to teams with substandard receivers, frigging JohnJoe, Kjack, and McCain have committed an OBSCENE 13 penalties thru 3 games which is made worse since almost all of them handed teams first downs. Hell, I'm all for hanging a healthy chunk of blame on Gary yesterday, but how about Wade's defense not commit all those absurd penalties and contribute a game changing play of their own? Schaub has stepped up in crunch time twice before - Wade's defense came out of the locker room and gave up a 4 minute TD drive, a 3:44 drive w/punt, 6:15 w/FG, 3:51 w/FG. Schaub got the ball 3 times the entire second half folks - he would have had to have been perfect w/a 2pt conversion to even tie! The Ravens weren't gashing the D, but they were eating up clock which was their mission and the defense failed horribly to get a single critical stop despite a complete lack of talent on the other side. Schaub went up against a formidable defense with a garbage o-line - the Texans D couldn't stop one of the worst offenses in the NFL this side of Tampa & Jacksonville when they needed to better yet force a turnover (1 in 3 games).

Schaub has made a few bad plays, but has also marched us right down the field plenty of times. It's hard to throw TD passes when the coach calls plays that don't even send receivers into the end zone on successive drives inside the 10. Where are the calls to bench Arian and his pathetic 3.9 ypc, dropped balls, a long run of 16 yards. Dude gets all the credit when things are good, yet a scrub like Bilal Powell is doing more to win games than Foster is right now.

Schaub deserves some of the blame for sure, but IMO any draft talk would be much better served focusing on MUCH weaker links at RT and CB. Heck, how about someone start asking where the heck last years #1 pick has been so far?

I'll take a chance at getting a great QB over a good QB over taking a crack at upgrading RT and CB. We also have enough picks to address all three problems in the first 3 rounds.

Also if we get a QB and he shows promise his rookie year we could flip Scaub to some team desperate for a QB as well.

I prefer a shot at getting to the Super Bowl with the possibility of being bad over being a mediocre team that feasts on bottom dwellers.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanedafx wrote:
Grasspike wrote:

By the time you are done riding the Schaub horse, Johnson/Foster/Watt/Cushing and other marque players will be long gone. You're right that the window is now, but you're not going to win anything with Schaub/Kubiak. It's just not happening.

So when Brees started 0-4 last year, how many Saints were blaming him or clamoring for the Saints to cut bait and get one of those new fangled running QBs? Schaub salvaged what could have been an 0-3 start and has us at 2-1 - 2nd best record in the AFC - big wup. Guess what, Aaron Rodgers played like crap yesterday too and his team is sitting at 1-2. Let's give the broad proclamations like "Texans will never win with Matt Schaub" a rest as Matt Schaub & the Texans DESTROYED Joe Flacco in week 6 last year and that didn't have much bearing on what happened in January.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: