Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Melton tears ACL; done for year - what to do going forward?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Epyon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonserinNC wrote:

Also this makes DT pretty much our top priority

Right now, as I see the team needs as such:

Offensively: -Center-, 2nd Tight End that can catch, possible luxury "deep threat" receiver (I don't think we bother, or really have room for another receiver, especially one unlikely to be a ST player, but I've heard others make the claim, and can't deny that we really do lack a credible speed threat right now)

None of those things would require a first round draft pick, even if we won the superbowl

Defensively:
At least 2 D-Line, At least 1 corner

My offseason prediction, based on the above, is this:

Peppers: Gone. Too expensive, and frankly his production sucks this season.

Tillman: I think he's still better than Jennings, but Jennings will have more gas left in the tank.

Melton:I'd like to see him back/recovered, because he was just hitting his stride career wise. That said, knee injuries are tricky, and Adrian Peterson like recovery is by far the exception, not the rule. I see him elswhere. On the brightside, if he does fully recover, we gonna get him cheap.

Williams: I think Bostic starts next season, despite Williams doing well for us this one, we let him walk.

Rd 1. DE
Rd 2. Corner
Rd 3. Center
Rd 4. TE
Rd 5+. Developmental players

FA pick ups : possible center (doubtful a 3rd round rookie will win the job), and DT

Our D-Line is certainly the biggest problem -area- right now, but I think Center/Garza is by far our biggest individual player weakness at the moment...
ak06max

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
As I wrote in the game day thread…if Melton is out for the season I wouldn’t mind pulling an Indy and trading a high pick for some instant help on that Dline…I think come what may with Melton we have to invest in the Dline this year as heavily as we did in the Oline last year because the bottom line is this D can’t work without the ability to get pressure on the QB using just your front 4 alone…we say it last night where we were having to bring blitz from all over the field to try and get pressure and it worked in part last night because we were able to get turnovers but against better teams we would be shredded…if it were me I would give Seattle a call about Bruce Irvin…he obviously isn’t a like for like replacement for Melton but I don’t think anyone with a quality DT is going to be willing to give it up…Seattle are so deep at DE they have moved Irvin to SLB…I think they could be convinced to take a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him which would give us instant pass rush at the very least coming off the bench…a NASCAR package of Peppers & Wootton at DT with Irvin & McClellin off the edge would be very effective…

The big question will come in the offseason what to do with Melton…I think if we offered him a one year prove it deal another team would take a chance on him and give him a longer term offer…so too me we should still be looking to take that gamble on him if his rehab is successful…then you still have to bring in quality depth behind him in case he isn’t the player he was…and you still have to think about what to do with Peppers & Wootton on the outside…the Dline needed to be rebuilt before this injury to include some better depth…now it is essential that it is rebuilt with hopefully Melton still able to be a part of it…if we don’t add instant help I would have no problem at all drafting two Dlinemen in rounds 1 & 2.

I doubt we get the 15th pick in last gets draft for a 2nd/3rd especially after a nice rookie year.

But Phil Taylor has enough pass rush with his size.

But I agree with being open to a trade for help now as long as it is young and preferably on a rookie deal.

I'm not sure they know what to do with Irvin right now...the fact they went out and signed Avril & Bennett show they maybe don't really see him as an everydown DE...it would be worth a call.
Irvin is undersized as a DE, how is he going to play DT? Anyway, the Bears are not going to trade for him. Nor are they going to give Melton a huge contract next year. Next year they were going to have to concentrate on DL in the draft anyway so this just means they will have to do so even more intently. This year they will just move guys and around and hope they can plug the hole. Melton had been pretty much invisible this year so perhaps we won't see as much of a difference as should be expected by losing a Franchise player.

Ignorance must be bliss in your head Al…try reading the who statement before you spew your usual rubbish…I didn’t say Irvin was going to be a like for like replacement for Melton…I said he would add instant pass rush…no one said Melton was getting a huge contract after this injury…as for the statement that Melton has been invisible that is clearly wrong…considering every team we have played have consistently double teamed the guy…if you think we aren’t going to see a difference after losing Melton then you are yet again wrong…our DEs for one are going to have to play a hell of a lot better.
Do you have to be nasty with every post? Or are you just a jerk? They are NOT going to trade for Irvin nor even consider it. That "usual rubbish" is clearly more realistic than your Magical Fantasy of replacing a DT with a DE/LB. With all these double teams why haven't they been countered since two or three on Melton and two on Peppers takes up four to five blockers? Perhaps him being invisible has some relation to our whole DL being poor so far this year more than double/triple/quadruple blocks. No one has looked that good overall.

Yes thank you. Melton has been invisible. Everyone puts Melton on this HOF DT to be. Honestly I really think Collins is going to show everyone that Melton is not what everyone thinks he is.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Melton was invisible week 1 while he was getting his legs back under him after not playing essentially the entire training camp. He was double or triple blocked on 23 of his 48 snaps against the Vikes, and made some pretty significant plays, including a very important stop on 3rd and short as he met Adrian Peterson at the LOS. Now if you want to be made about something in the Vikes game be mad about the 3 guys who are seeing single blocks all game long because of the attention Melton is seeing. Against the Steelers, I don't think Melton saw a single blocker once, and again made some very significant plays including forcing Ben to throw the ball early and help cause the Wright pick 6. Just b/c Melton wasn't showing up on the stat sheet doesn't mean he hasn't had an impact, b/c he most certainly has. I think you are about to see how important Henry Melton is to our defense, and I know everyone thinks this is going to make him cheap, I'll wager its going to prove how special a 300 lber w/ his explosion and power is and will prove to all doubters how much he is really worth.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
cody513

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Melton was invisible week 1 while he was getting his legs back under him after not playing essentially the entire training camp. He was double or triple blocked on 23 of his 48 snaps against the Vikes, and made some pretty significant plays, including a very important stop on 3rd and short as he met Adrian Peterson at the LOS. Now if you want to be made about something in the Vikes game be mad about the 3 guys who are seeing single blocks all game long because of the attention Melton is seeing. Against the Steelers, I don't think Melton saw a single blocker once, and again made some very significant plays including forcing Ben to throw the ball early and help cause the Wright pick 6. Just b/c Melton wasn't showing up on the stat sheet doesn't mean he hasn't had an impact, b/c he most certainly has. I think you are about to see how important Henry Melton is to our defense, and I know everyone thinks this is going to make him cheap, I'll wager its going to prove how special a 300 lber w/ his explosion and power is and will prove to all doubters how much he is really worth.

That's what I was just telling him yesterday. I highly doubt Collins will cause that either, so yes, Melton is a pretty big loss.
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melton has had a very tough first three games. He is a tremendous talent, but so far this year Nate Collins and Stephen Paea were playing better. Missing the Henry Melton of last year is a big loss, missing the Melton we saw so far this season is more of a depth issue.

Regarding the 'double & triple' teams - I guess I see those things differently. As Tom Thayer mentioned the other day - a lot of those double teams Melton was seeing are actually combo blocks where the OC or OG only engages briefly before moving to the second level - in grading and reviewing film aren't considered as double teams.

Adopt-a-Bear Kyle Long

PFF Grade through Regular-Season Game 3: 2.7 (20th in NFL) Highest rated rookie OL

Highest rated OL in the Pre-Season
CBears019

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops:

Quote:
Marvin Austin - DL - Dolphins

Dolphins signed DT Marvin Austin.
Austin, the No. 52 overall pick in 2011, was released by the Giants during final cuts. He'll serve as defensive line depth with Paul Soliai (knee) and Cameron Wake dealing with injuries.

FG: 25/28 XP: 41/42 LNG: 58 Yards

cody513

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBears019 wrote:
Oops:

Quote:

Austin, the No. 52 overall pick in 2011, was released by the Giants during final cuts. He'll serve as defensive line depth with Paul Soliai (knee) and Cameron Wake dealing with injuries.

AnytiMe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin is no longer a option.

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora wrote:
Miami has signed free agent DL Marvin Austin

www.bearsbrasil.com.br
Madmike90

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBears019 wrote:
Oops:

Quote:

Drake Nevis was also picked up by Dallas.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bears have a hole at DT.

Marvin Austin [Miami] and Drake Nevis [Dallas] have been signed today.

And nothing from the Bears with what they are going to do at DT.

Could that mean we are looking at a trade?
Roadrunner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:

I believe it means that Nick Collins will be our starter for the rest of the season, unless he gets injured.
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak06max wrote:

Yes thank you. Melton has been invisible. Everyone puts Melton on this HOF DT to be. Honestly I really think Collins is going to show everyone that Melton is not what everyone thinks he is.

Who is putting Melton in the HOF?

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadrunner wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

I believe it means that Nick Collins will be our starter for the rest of the season, unless he gets injured.

I'm pretty okay with Collins as the starter, Peppers and Wootton playing more time at DT, and Minter as the backup.

Adopt-a-Bear Kyle Long

PFF Grade through Regular-Season Game 3: 2.7 (20th in NFL) Highest rated rookie OL

Highest rated OL in the Pre-Season
Roadrunner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure believe that it makes sense. If they can get Minter some reps from time to time, all the better. I do not believe that there is anybody out there who a team is willing to get rid of on the cheap that would be THAT much better than Collins. Anybody who would be better than Collins is going to cost more than they are worth, IMO.

We should know more later tonight or tomorrow morning since we bring in guys for workouts on Tuesdays. The names that show up on that list will give a strong indication of how the organization feels about Collins. I HIGHLY doubt there will be anybody on the list with the ability to supplant him, but I have made a mistake in judgement or two in the past. Shocked
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadrunner wrote:
I sure believe that it makes sense. If they can get Minter some reps from time to time, all the better. I do not believe that there is anybody out there who a team is willing to get rid of on the cheap that would be THAT much better than Collins. Anybody who would be better than Collins is going to cost more than they are worth, IMO.

We should know more later tonight or tomorrow morning since we bring in guys for workouts on Tuesdays. The names that show up on that list will give a strong indication of how the organization feels about Collins. I HIGHLY doubt there will be anybody on the list with the ability to supplant him, but I have made a mistake in judgement or two in the past. Shocked

speaking of which

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 27s
#Bears put 2 defensive tackles through tryout today: Landon Cohen and Daniel Muir, per NFL source. No move announced yet
https://twitter.com/BradBiggs

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 7 of 11

Jump to: