Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Melton tears ACL; done for year - what to do going forward?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Melton tears ACL; done for year - what to do going forward? Reply with quote

It appears that Melton will be lost for the season or at least a significant portion if time.

What should the Bears do to fill the void

Minter?

Free Agent?
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://thesidelineview.com/columns/caplans-nfl-corner/best-available-nfl-free-agents-defense

Rocky Bernard may be an option.
Nads786

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very tough loss if it is an ACL injury. I don't think we have a ton of options out there.

It's really on the offense to continue to produce at key moments and dialing up blitz's that leave us susceptible to the big play.

I see us looking more like the 2009 Saints D without the amazing offense..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One interesting idea I saw online was calling Cleveland about Phil Taylor or Atyba Rubin.

-Both can play NT if we go to a 3-4.

-Both have the power to collapse the pocket even if they do not get a clean rush.
CBears019

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***UPDATE***

Quote:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 58s
Bears DT Henry Melton tore his ACL - out for the year.

It's official....

FG: 25/28 XP: 41/42 LNG: 58 Yards

Last edited by CBears019 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're not going to a 34.

Adopt-a-Bear Kyle Long

PFF Grade through Regular-Season Game 3: 2.7 (20th in NFL) Highest rated rookie OL

Highest rated OL in the Pre-Season
Madmike90

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I wrote in the game day thread…if Melton is out for the season I wouldn’t mind pulling an Indy and trading a high pick for some instant help on that Dline…I think come what may with Melton we have to invest in the Dline this year as heavily as we did in the Oline last year because the bottom line is this D can’t work without the ability to get pressure on the QB using just your front 4 alone…we say it last night where we were having to bring blitz from all over the field to try and get pressure and it worked in part last night because we were able to get turnovers but against better teams we would be shredded…if it were me I would give Seattle a call about Bruce Irvin…he obviously isn’t a like for like replacement for Melton but I don’t think anyone with a quality DT is going to be willing to give it up…Seattle are so deep at DE they have moved Irvin to SLB…I think they could be convinced to take a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him which would give us instant pass rush at the very least coming off the bench…a NASCAR package of Peppers & Wootton at DT with Irvin & McClellin off the edge would be very effective…

The big question will come in the offseason what to do with Melton…I think if we offered him a one year prove it deal another team would take a chance on him and give him a longer term offer…so too me we should still be looking to take that gamble on him if his rehab is successful…then you still have to bring in quality depth behind him in case he isn’t the player he was…and you still have to think about what to do with Peppers & Wootton on the outside…the Dline needed to be rebuilt before this injury to include some better depth…now it is essential that it is rebuilt with hopefully Melton still able to be a part of it…if we don’t add instant help I would have no problem at all drafting two Dlinemen in rounds 1 & 2.
RidiculousJames

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@AdamSchefter
Bears DT Henry Melton tore his ACL - out for the year.

Crap.
2013 Adopt-a-Bear: LB #50 James Anderson
Tackles: 103 || Sacks: 4.0 || Forced Fumbles: 0 || Fumble Recoveries: 1
Madmike90

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:
We're not going to a 34.

Agreed...would be a very stupid idea to do so.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@AdamSchefter: Bears DT Henry Melton tore his ACL - out for the year.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:
We're not going to a 34.

I meant in the future.

Obviously we are not going 3-4 this season.
topwop1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvin Austin anyone?
Madmike90

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
We're not going to a 34.

I meant in the future.

Obviously we are not going 3-4 this season.

Even in the future...there is nothing wrong with this D...it has been successful for years...all we need is more pass rush and for the D to continue to hold teams to around 21 PPG and get turnovers.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
As I wrote in the game day thread…if Melton is out for the season I wouldn’t mind pulling an Indy and trading a high pick for some instant help on that Dline…I think come what may with Melton we have to invest in the Dline this year as heavily as we did in the Oline last year because the bottom line is this D can’t work without the ability to get pressure on the QB using just your front 4 alone…we say it last night where we were having to bring blitz from all over the field to try and get pressure and it worked in part last night because we were able to get turnovers but against better teams we would be shredded…if it were me I would give Seattle a call about Bruce Irvin…he obviously isn’t a like for like replacement for Melton but I don’t think anyone with a quality DT is going to be willing to give it up…Seattle are so deep at DE they have moved Irvin to SLB…I think they could be convinced to take a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him which would give us instant pass rush at the very least coming off the bench…a NASCAR package of Peppers & Wootton at DT with Irvin & McClellin off the edge would be very effective…

The big question will come in the offseason what to do with Melton…I think if we offered him a one year prove it deal another team would take a chance on him and give him a longer term offer…so too me we should still be looking to take that gamble on him if his rehab is successful…then you still have to bring in quality depth behind him in case he isn’t the player he was…and you still have to think about what to do with Peppers & Wootton on the outside…the Dline needed to be rebuilt before this injury to include some better depth…now it is essential that it is rebuilt with hopefully Melton still able to be a part of it…if we don’t add instant help I would have no problem at all drafting two Dlinemen in rounds 1 & 2.

I doubt we get the 15th pick in last gets draft for a 2nd/3rd especially after a nice rookie year.

But Phil Taylor has enough pass rush with his size.

But I agree with being open to a trade for help now as long as it is young and preferably on a rookie deal.
CBears019

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topwop1 wrote:
Marvin Austin anyone?

Was he released or is he just on the trade block?

FG: 25/28 XP: 41/42 LNG: 58 Yards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: