You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

David Yankey, OG, Stanford (Redshirt Junior)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: David Yankey, OG, Stanford (Redshirt Junior) Reply with quote

Yankey is an offensive line prospect I would like to hear a little more about. He doesn't seem to be getting as much attention in draft forums as Cyril Richardson and Gabe Jackson, but I am wondering with all things considered, could Yankey end up being the top rated guard prospect in the 2014 draft? The Stanford bio indicates that Yankey is a senior but NFLDraftscout.com lists him as a junior. I like his versatility of having experience at left tackle and left guard, but all reports indicate he is much better suited to stay inside at the next level. With the Kansas City Chiefs potentially have a need at guard with Jeff Allen struggling at left guard and Jon Asamoah a pending free agent at right guard, I am interested in taking a closer look at guard prospects. How does he stack up overall to some of the other more well known guard prospects like Richardson and Jackson?

David Yankey
Position : OG
College : Stanford Cardinal
Class : Redshirt Junior
Height : 6'-5"
Weight : 313 lbs.

David Yankey Official Stanford Bio

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Last edited by nicfre2011 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
KingOfTheHill84

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love him, prototype RT

can run to his side and he'll be a stout pass protector

I'd draft him in the late first round

[quote="Ring Worm Sherm"]Revis hasn't done jack since 09[/quote]Fly-A-Jet 2013 Jeremy Kerley
Rec:5 Yards:70 TDs:0 PR Average:7 ypa
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingOfTheHill84 wrote:
Love him, prototype RT

Interesting consideration at right tackle although I am starting to see him as a plug-and-play left guard with the potential to slide out to left tackle temporarily in the event of an injury. I like the idea of Yankey playing next to Eric Fisher on the left side of the Kansas City offensive line next year.

KingOfTheHill84

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
KingOfTheHill84 wrote:
Love him, prototype RT

Interesting consideration at right tackle although I am starting to see him as a plug-and-play left guard with the potential to slide out to left tackle temporarily in the event of an injury. I like the idea of Yankey playing next to Eric Fisher on the left side of the Kansas City offensive line next year.

I think you can play him his rookie year at LG, RG or RT it all depends on scheme, he's that versatile

[quote="Ring Worm Sherm"]Revis hasn't done jack since 09[/quote]Fly-A-Jet 2013 Jeremy Kerley
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingOfTheHill84 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
KingOfTheHill84 wrote:
Love him, prototype RT

I think you can play him his rookie year at LG, RG or RT it all depends on scheme, he's that versatile

Maybe you can provide some feedback on his eligibility - I see the Stanford bio indicates he is a senior and the NFLDraftscout.com profile indicates he is a junior. IIRC, he missed most of his freshman year to injury after a couple of games played - did he redshirt?

jshowers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not as high on him personally and I've seen him play a ton.

Positives:
Been extremely well coached
Versatile

Neutral:
Average power, a little top heavy
Okay movement skills

Negatives:
Lunges too much
Technique can get sloppy
Slow feet

Basically a hard worker and smart player who has done the best he can with limited athleticism and great coaching. 3rd/4th rounder for me.
KingOfTheHill84

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
KingOfTheHill84 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
KingOfTheHill84 wrote:
Love him, prototype RT

Maybe you can provide some feedback on his eligibility - I see the Stanford bio indicates he is a senior and the NFLDraftscout.com profile indicates he is a junior. IIRC, he missed most of his freshman year to injury after a couple of games played - did he redshirt?

he's a redshirt Jr. I believe

nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingOfTheHill84 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
KingOfTheHill84 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
KingOfTheHill84 wrote:
Love him, prototype RT

Thanks! Another question - strictly looking at him as a guard prospect, how would you compare him to David DeCastro and Kevin Zeitler from a prospect standpoint?

KingOfTheHill84

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
KingOfTheHill84 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
KingOfTheHill84 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
KingOfTheHill84 wrote:
Love him, prototype RT

Thanks! Another question - strictly looking at him as a guard prospect, how would you compare him to David DeCastro and Kevin Zeitler from a prospect standpoint?

not as highly regarded as DeCastro was, Zeitler was valued more by Cincy's need rather than his true value but ended being worth it

he's somewhere in between but the draft being loaded at OT, WR and teams needing QB's likely picking early is the reason he'd be a late 1 early 2 pick

Luke1592

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd round pick ATM could climb after a good season.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too high on him. Gabe Jackson is better than him at this point for sure.

"Strength is meaningless in o-line play if there is no explosive, or speed-strength, quality to the strength."
- LeCharles Bentley

R.I.P. Stylish
riceraider8080

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
I'm not too high on him. Gabe Jackson is better than him at this point for sure.

And Cyril Richardson. Both are better OGs by a good margin too

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd best guard at the moment. Could easily go up or down. He is that type of prospect.

#JDI
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Stanford offensive guard David Yankey will miss Saturday's game against Washington State because of an unspecified "family situation," coach David Shaw announced Tuesday.

"He had a family situation that he's got to go take care of," Shaw said. "He's in our thoughts and prayers. He's OK. But he'll be with his family this week. We hope to get him back soon."

Speaking to reporters after practice Tuesday, Shaw said that Yankey, a consensus All-American last year, is healthy and in good standing with the team. The 6-foot-5, 313-pound senior, who won the Pac-12's Morris Trophy last year for the top offensive lineman, is from Roswell, Ga.

Sophomore Josh Garnett will start in place of Yankey at left guard.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9719421/stanford-david-yankey-miss-game-washington-state-family-situation

jason96r

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Rob Sims at his best when I view Yankey. Sims can be a good OG. Yankey I hope has a better anchor in the future though.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: