Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Running Game #3 best 10/29
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pugger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Lacy continues to run like he did yesterday maybe Mike will give him the ball on 3rd and short more often in the coming weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackFan4Life wrote:
It would be even better if MM would show a little mor confidence in the run game. I know he called more runs than passes yesterday, however- I will not buy that MM has confidence in his run game until its 3rd and 1 and he actually calls a run to Lacy. The guy puzzles me how he overthinks things sometimes...ie:

I agree with this partially. I don't know if it's smart to just always give Lacy the ball though... I wonder if McCarthy just isn't in the mood to trust rookies right now?

He calls a run with Franklin on 4th and 1 when clearly that is not Franklin's strength. This should have been the QB run-pass option.

Well, you go to war with the troops you have, not the ones you wished you had.

Then on two 3rd and 1s yesterday he calls a pass option and even empties the backfield. This should have been the hammer- it is what you drafted him for. I understand a little play action sometimes, but empty the backfield when your interior was owning the Lions almost all game- I just do not get it.

I'm hoping this comes up on Tuesday's with McCarthy. Maybe there was something they saw. I just liked the game plan of running down their throats and forcing them to stop us. That really changes things for the Packers and should pay huge dividends. But isn't 3rd and 1 when you really demoralize a team?

Went to the Detroit forum and couldn't believe the stuff being discussed about the refs. Funny, I thought the refs were in Detroit's pocket. All the holding of Wrs and not a call? But they couldn't stop the run. The only thing that stopped it was McCarthy. Gotta be a reason, but it's beyond me.
gizmo2012

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
If Lacy continues to run like he did yesterday maybe Mike will give him the ball on 3rd and short more often in the coming weeks.

I think Lacy looked good but also think he missed a couple of opportunities. I can't wait to see him run with a couple of games under his belt.
Packershine50

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gizmo2012 wrote:
Pugger wrote:

I think Lacy looked good but also think he missed a couple of opportunities. I can't wait to see him run with a couple of games under his belt.

I really enjoy watching him run. And like you said he will only get better with each game as he gets more comfortable. I can't wait to see him use the spin move more. He seems like a good kid too who just wants to play football and help his team win. I noticed him handing the ball to the ref after each run yesterday and also helping his fellow teammates up as much as he could. He's been through a lot in his life so it'll be nice to see him succeed with the Packers for years to come.

Also, I'm not a McCarthy basher but I'm really get sick of seeing 3rd and short or 1st and goal inside the 5 and him not giving the ball once to our new bruising back who is pushing piles and gaining positive yards.
spilltray

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interior running in short yardage and goal line situations is still not a great idea for the Packers. The desire and need to get a running game going was for 1st and 10s not 3rd and 1s. The Packers are still very heavily a zone scheme team. I really don't see them having the ability to pile drive short yardage on the ground even if the running game is going decently. On those sorts of plays where everyone expects the run and stacks against it, I don't think the Packers would do well against.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gizmo2012

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packershine50 wrote:
gizmo2012 wrote:
Pugger wrote:

I really enjoy watching him run. And like you said he will only get better with each game as he gets more comfortable. I can't wait to see him use the spin move more. He seems like a good kid too who just wants to play football and help his team win. I noticed him handing the ball to the ref after each run yesterday and also helping his fellow teammates up as much as he could. He's been through a lot in his life so it'll be nice to see him succeed with the Packers for years to come.

Also, I'm not a McCarthy basher but I'm really get sick of seeing 3rd and short or 1st and goal inside the 5 and him not giving the ball once to our new bruising back who is pushing piles and gaining positive yards.

Do you really think McCarthy was going to give a rookie RB the ball on 3rd and 1 after last week. For now, keep the ball in your star's hand on 3rd and 1.
UpTheSeam85

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And #2 YPC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gizmo2012 wrote:
Packershine50 wrote:
gizmo2012 wrote:
Pugger wrote:

Do you really think McCarthy was going to give a rookie RB the ball on 3rd and 1 after last week. For now, keep the ball in your star's hand on 3rd and 1.

And how did that work out for the Packers? Both times. What about 1st and goal inside the 5 and not giving the ball to Lacy once? C'mon guys I love Rodgers as much as anyone but let's switch it up a little once in a while.
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vs Detroit:

Adrian Peterson, 18 carries 93 yards 3 touchdowns

Eddie Lacy, 23 carries 99 yards 0 touchdowns.

Now that's something to be proud of!!! That is the best running back and best running team from last year!

Big Kudos to the big guys up front! I am so proud of those guys, played awesome yesterday!
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
Interior running in short yardage and goal line situations is still not a great idea for the Packers. The desire and need to get a running game going was for 1st and 10s not 3rd and 1s. The Packers are still very heavily a zone scheme team. I really don't see them having the ability to pile drive short yardage on the ground even if the running game is going decently. On those sorts of plays where everyone expects the run and stacks against it, I don't think the Packers would do well against.

Yes and NO.

The threat of a running game is to impact all downs as long as you show you might use it. It is supposed to get the defense out of 2 high looks on 1st and 10 and to honor the possible run on short yardage situations. When you empty the backfield on short yardage situations, you totally tip your hand in a situation when you want the defense to have to defend everything. That was not a good call at all and he overthought himself on that one.

Response to the other post above.....

Yes you go to war with who you have- but you also fight to your strengths with who you have!! You do not ask Franklin to pick up 4th and 1, you make the D honor the fact he is in the backfield and roll out your star player and give him the option. That is playing to your strenghts with who you have to go to war with. On short yardage with a hammer in the backfield- you definitely utiltize him and you certainly do not empty out the backfield and tell the enemy what you are going to do before you do it.

I have heard the arguments for and against this, the reality is in the last two games, MM overthought the situation and made the wrong call. Based on the results, to argue otherwise is fruitless. Yes looking back is 20-20, but still it does not take a genius to realize he out thought himself in these circumstances. I am not over blowing the situation and calling for his head like other (insert unintelligent words) posters on this site, I am just pointing out there are plays where MM out thinks the situation and gets too cute.

He needs to show more confidence in the run game now because picking up short yardage in the run game now is going to give the offense confidence to pick it up later in the year when the weather circumstances are much different. Especially yesterday when the reality was the interior was playing a whale of a game, reward the big fellas and give them the call. It will pay dividends later in the year!!

Last edited by PackFan4Life on Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
UpTheSeam85

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
Vs Detroit:

Now that's something to be proud of!!! That is the best running back and best running team from last year!

Big Kudos to the big guys up front! I am so proud of those guys, played awesome yesterday!

Not to mention that pretty much all of APs yard came off one big TD run, other than that he was bad that game. To be fair though, we do have a passing attack that takes away Detroits attention whereas the Lions only needed to focus on AP.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UpTheSeam85 wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Vs Detroit:

Not to mention that pretty much all of APs yard came off one big TD run, other than that he was bad that game. To be fair though, we do have a passing attack that takes away Detroits attention whereas the Lions only needed to focus on AP.
Not trying to put Lacy on the same level as AP or anything, more or less just saying that between him and the O-line, they did a fantastic job. Plus I didn't even put in Cobb's runs with those stats. Mac did an excellent job designing the runs and stuck with it all game and our guys did a great job of executing those calls.
UpTheSeam85

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
UpTheSeam85 wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Vs Detroit:

Not trying to put Lacy on the same level as AP or anything, more or less just saying that between him and the O-line, they did a fantastic job. Plus I didn't even put in Cobb's runs with those stats. Mac did an excellent job designing the runs and stuck with it all game and our guys did a great job of execution.

Yup, absolutely love Lacy and wish we would just run with him more. Maybe it's Mac not wanting to show that we will run the ball on 3rd and short or something, but still, you have Lacy and a good run blocking o-line, pound it with Lacy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackFan4Life wrote:

Response to the other post above.....

Yes you go to war with who you have- but you also fight to your strengths with who you have!! You do not ask Franklin to pick up 4th and 1, you make the D honor the fact he is in the backfield and roll out your star player and give him the option. That is playing to your strenghts with who you have to go to war with. On short yardage with a hammer in the backfield- you definitely utiltize him and you certainly do not empty out the backfield and tell the enemy what you are going to do before you do it.

I have heard the arguments for and against this, the reality is in the last two games, MM overthought the situation and made the wrong call. Based on the results, to argue otherwise is fruitless. Yes looking back is 20-20, but still it does not take a genius to realize he out thought himself in these circumstances. I am not over blowing the situation and calling for his head like other (insert unintelligent words) posters on this site, I am just pointing out there are plays where MM out thinks the situation and gets too cute.

NO, and stop it already folks. I thought we were done with this nonsense about rolling out the QB. The play is at 3:23. http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2013092201/2013/REG3/packers@bengals#menu=highlights&tab=recap

WATCH IT! Where do you plan on rolling out Rodgers? To his left side? There's one Wr there. Quarless' job is to block the DE there's a free safety to stop anything that comes to the edge. The short side of the field? Good luck with that, given there was penetration and the other safety there that made the strip I do not see this "magical" roll out or bootleg or whatever imaginary thing you folks see. To make matters worse, there are more defensive guys ( 2 more) than OL. Someone is going to get free to make a sack.

Continue to watch the play and look at the WRs. Everyone of them are covered and/or being held.

Why on earth do you folks even contemplate this idea of long developing plays when our O-line couldn't hold for a fraction of a second? Why does it seem so plausible that a play that could take up to 8 seconds will be more effective? How can you be angry when McCarthy runs the ball and when he passes? It's such hindsight commentary.

All I can think is that you haven't ever played football. Have never coached. Have never been close to that situation and can't comprehend what you're seeing. Refuse to count the players in the box. And last but not least, can't come to terms with the fact we were simply outplayed on that one.

I really think for some there's just a belief in magic. That there's a magical play that it doesn't matter how good or bad the players play, the magical play will save the day. But that's not real and it's not football. That play has nothing to do with coaches or schemes... That one right there is all about who wanted it more. The Bengals wanted it more.
Pugger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packershine50 wrote:
gizmo2012 wrote:
Pugger wrote:

Very much this and why I said maybe Mike will see his rookie RB can get postitive yards and will give him the ball in those situations more going forward. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: