Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How to improve mid-season

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amazingandre

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: How to improve mid-season Reply with quote

How are we going to improve before its too late? We need to be better in the red zone on offense and more consistent about running, but not forcing it, we need to throw in the red zone, TO THE END ZONE, that short stuff is crap. Take shots to the endzone.

Our defense still can't play tes or rbs. How the hell do we fix this?

Special teams? No idea where to start
mse326

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: How to improve mid-season Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
How are we going to improve before its too late? We need to be better in the red zone on offense and more consistent about running, but not forcing it, we need to throw in the red zone, TO THE END ZONE, that short stuff is crap. Take shots to the endzone.

Our defense still can't play tes or rbs. How the hell do we fix this?

Special teams? No idea where to start

Well that is simply play calling which in theory should be easy to fix if the coach was a stubborn prick. That would also fix the red zone offense and open up the run game in the red zone because can't focus on that.

Swearinger was better in coverage today. If continues that that might solve our TE/RB coverage problem by the end of the season. The only other option is to dedicate Cushing to that but that creates a different problem. We don't have the personnel right now to do it. Which is ridiculous since we all knew it was a problem last year and would be this year without help.

Fire Maricano. Even if it doesn't fix the problem itself it at least gets us in the right direction. Retaining him this offseason was the worst move we made.

Ultimately our defense is still holding strong. Even with the issues with TEs. The offense has just been so inconsistent. It's either running on all cylinders or doing nothing. You know I love Schaub but I'll admit there have been stretches where I'm just shaking my head. Of course there are then other times where he looks like an elite QB. I don't know what it is. But I do know that while the INT today was a horrible play by Schaub it was also aggravated by our completely predictable offense. We need to do something to keep defenses thinking.

#JDI
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are stuck with our ILB's, I dont think we will make a change there. It's obvious Mays cant cover TE'S, Dobbins and Sharpton aren't that much better and Cushing is the only one that can.

I wish we would fire Joe Marciano because special teams coverage is pissing me off.

We need to open the offensive play book more. It only took an Andre Johnson injury for Schaub to start throwing to Hopkins, Martin and others. We were also down when this happened also. Redzone O needs to improve also. Ravens gave us chances early to score and we didn't. We can't expect to beat teams with field goals. Rick Dennison was suppose to be good at redzone offense, which is why we hired him and we didn't get the job done.

Not really worried about the D except that we need to get more pressure on the QB to help our secondary. It's obvious when we dont generate pressure our secondary suffers and that was the case today. We have too much talent on D for our team to NOT get pressure on the QB.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im fully convinced out offense is the problem of this team. Im not sure where to place the blame, maybe they all share it, I mean the oline sucks, Schaub sucks, the running backs suck, the wide outs (are ok). The play calling is a joke. The scheme is outdated. Seriously, wtf is wrong with our offense. Why do they suck lately? I know we came back and won the first 2 weeks, but seriously that was short of a miracle. Our defense allows 13 points and we still didn't win this game. Add in the pick 6 and punt coverage fail and we get blown out. Im not saying this is all Schaubs fault (I know you all think I am), but seriously wtf is wrong with these guys.
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fire Kubiak!

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
11 tot, 0 int, 1 sck, 2 ff
biggio7

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. It's the personal and the coaches. They think too highly of certain players (for some reason) and those players give the Texans nothing. It might take a firing ala the Ravens firing Caldwell last year. They just really need some sort of spark. It's too early in the season for that yet because you don't want that spark to flame out too quick.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggio7 wrote:
I agree. It's the personal and the coaches. They think too highly of certain players (for some reason) and those players give the Texans nothing. It might take a firing ala the Ravens firing Caldwell last year. They just really need some sort of spark. It's too early in the season for that yet because you don't want that spark to flame out too quick.

Firing Dennison wouldn't do anything since he doesn't call the plays.

Oh ya and who saw Indy today?

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
11 tot, 0 int, 1 sck, 2 ff
ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Address the secondary and offense. We should've done more bootlegs and waffles.
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard it said so many times over the last few years that Kubiak is an offensive genius, some offensive Guru, but yet we had these same offensive play calling issues last year and nothing has changed. I see nothing new. We're running the same tired old plays that everyone has tons of film on already so it's very predictable. I'm also sick of Schaub acting like AJ is the only WR on the field, except when he's hurt and Schaub is then forced to go to someone else. I'm tired of the dink and dunk passing game. The few times we actually went vertical with the passing game it was successful, so go with what works. Sometimes I feel like Kubiak would rather lose a game with his plays being called and running it his way, and failing, than to go with something else that might actually work and succeed.

Kubiak is so stubborn to change unless McNair steps in and makes the decision for him, ie: Wade Phillips and Deandre Hopkins.
Marco79

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think play calling is holding us back.

Our defense played great yesterday 14 points were not their fault at all and our offense couldn'tdo anything.

With all the weapons we have on offense we can do so much more. It is so vanilla it is painful.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm prone to tearing this team apart when we win, but play poorly in doing so as the tendencies point to problems that will be magnified against teams more equipped to punish us. I watched my Baylor Bears throttle yet another opponent this weekend, but I couldn't help but focus on this one weak link cornerback we have (Martin) that is going to get destroyed once we start playing the decent teams and could be the difference in beating OU or OSU.

So to me this Sunday was just a magnification of the same problems we've still not addressed from last year and many of them were present in the SD & Titans games but whitewashed by victory.

1) Special teams coverage - I don't have the stat handy, but teams lose like 70% of games when they give up a kick return. Coverage teams effectively cost us home field advantage in the playoffs last year with the Karim return. I blasted Kubiak and Marciano after the hyperconservative playcalling and kick Joe McKnight return nearly cost us an inexcusable loss to the Jets early that season and we played nearly the same game vs. the Colts and lost it later in the season. Solution: I am sorry, when your unit costs us critical games in recurring fashion you have to go and Marciano has to go - he needs to be unemployed TODAY or Kubiak will be in January!

2) Field goal playcalling - a few posters called me out as a debby downer last week for complaining about Kubiak's abysmal conservative playcalling in the FG danger zone. This week it was it's equally ugly sister with Kubs painfully predictable red zone playcalling turning TD's into FGs. Raise your hand if you didn't know Arian Foster was going right up the gut on first and goal from the 8. It is the EXACT playcall I've been complaining about for YEARS and the Ravens stuffed him for -1. Next comes the obligatory throws to AJ or OD short of the end zone and yet another killer sub 30 yard Field Goal. As bad as missing 50 yard field goals are, kicking field goals inside the 10 are almost as bad. Next series. Foster up the middle, Foster around the end, forced pass to AJ for 1 year loss - sub 30 yard field goal. This one was even worse as the drive STARTED on the Balt 29 - which HAS to be followed by a throw into the end zone which could crush them before they even get started. Absolutely dominated the 1st quarter with 6 points to show for it and EVERYONE knew this would come back to haunt us. As far as I could tell, we not only did throw a single ball into the end zone, we didn't even have any receivers run routes into the end zone.

Solution: No easy one here, but Gary HAS to write a new script from the 10. He HAS to throw into the end zone at least once and stop running up the middle on first down which just burns a down every time as even if we get 3 yards, 2nd and goal from the 7 is marginally better than 2nd and 10 as another run just gets you to 3rd and goal from the 4 which is still a low percentage run. Was I dreaming or did I see Greg Jones motion from TE into the backfield on one of these calls. Really Gary, you actually think somebody was fooled into thinking Greg Jones was going to run a route from the TE spot - you didn't even throw to Casey in these situations and he WAS a TE playing FB. And I thought the Foster motion into WR spot was stupid? Gary HAS to understand that 2 straight drives deep into the opponents territory yielding 2 chip shot field goals is WORSE than 2 drives yielding one TD and one turnover (either picked off or on downs). I know he doesn't plan for FGs, but if he doesn't have at least one playcall where the primary target is in the end zone, he has failed before we even start. I don't EVER recall us running a ball in from the 10.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more...

3) Kubiak game feel - another recurring theme. So your team just game up a pick 6 for the 2nd week in a row to now be trailing a game you have dominated. How do we respond? Run up the middle, run up the middle, sack, dumpoff, punt return for a TD. For goodness sakes, Kubiak, either you trust your QB or you bench the dude. I don't care if it works or not, the play following a deflating pick 6 HAS to be something that shows that you ARE NOT going to go into a shell because your QB made a bad throw. You go deep to Hopkins or play action deep down the seam. Harbaugh finally figured this out in the 2nd quarter and they never looked back. Solution: Grow a pair

4) Secondary - if this was high school, I'd have them running suicides all day today. Joseph got burned on 3rd and long, although admittedly it was a heck of a pass and catch. The "taunting" call was a bit soft, but it was pretty clear that the ref's weren't afraid to use their whistles in this one and you need to shut the hell up and get off the field. KJ is simply a PI machine and I couldn't care less if you KJ shills think it was a soft call. His technique clearly draws flags on a regular basis and HAS to change as teams that can't move the ball know that throwing to whomever KJ is covering brings a pretty good chance of resulting in a first down because he so often fails to turn to the ball which so often results in a PI call even when it's really decent coverage. McCain - how this hell did he get lined up in single coverage on Torrey Smith at one point? My God, they have NOBODY else on that roster that can hurt you, yet you allow them to isolate him on the obvious weak link on this defense? That is WHY you HAVE to get this guy out of there. At this point it wouldn't surprise me if teams have a "McCain audible" where the second they see him out there, they shift to isolate a receiver on him and make him the hot read. 3 games in a row folks! Solution: Bench McCain - elevate AJ Bouye or keep 3 safeties out there.

5. Accountability: Winning the first 2 games made it difficult to act on the problems. A message needs to be sent that games like yesterday are not acceptable and that people's jobs are on the line. Firing Marciano and benching McCain are two relatively painless messages that can be sent. I think Kubs needs to have some more sizable hooks ready to pull and those include Schaub, Foster, and Newton on offense and Mercilus or Reed on the D. I wouldn't pull the hook on Schaub for anything less than another pick 6, but if he throws another one in the next 2 weeks, he has to be benched at least for a half as like kick returns, teams rarely recover from defensive TDs and Schaub has to just nut up and accept that he's going to get sacked more often this season and that sacks aren't as bad as ints.

Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the Colts/Browns trade has ushered in a new willingness to move players in-season. Ravens improved again by stealing Eugene Monroe from the Jags for 4th/5th rounders and Steelers got Levi Brown from the Cardinals for a likely late rounder or two. I don't want to do anything to mortgage our future, but I do think there are a few rentals out there that could be had.

Raiders:
- CB/S Charles Woodson is on a 1 year deal and would plug in nicely as our nickel and they would probably take Brandon Harris straight up.

Bucs:
- LT/RT - Donald Penn - He has been miscast for years on the Left Side where he just isn't quick enough to get outside and cutoff the quick edge rushers, but that's not as much of an issue on the Right. I also like that he's got a bit of that Winston nasty streak and in a pinch, he's a far better option than Harris on the left. His contract is easy to get out of as it's almost all salary, so if we draft RT or Quess or Williams are ready, he's a rental.
- RT - Gabe Carimi - If they think the need Penn to keep Glennon from getting killed, they may be willing to move Gabe Carimi who is just sitting around collecting dust behind Demar Dotson. Carimi is cut from the same cloth as his college teammate JJ Watt and was hurt and misused in Chicago.

Panthers:
LT/RT - Jordan Gross. His best days are past him and I suspect he'll retire after the season. He may want one last shot at a ring and the Panthers may be inclined to let him try with another loss or two. Gross shouldn't be on the left anymore, but he started out on the RT and is familiar with the ZBS. What he lacks in athleticism he makes up for in technique and awareness and the right side of the line needs it desperately. We may give up a bit in the run blocking department, but keeping Schaub clean is the priority and we haven't run right much anyway and I can't remember the last time Newton was pulling out in front of anyone which was supposed to be his strong suit.

Considering how useless our late round picks have been of late, I think Rick needs to be willing to part with one for the right deal. There aren't glaring talent needs, but I sure hope we're out there fishing as that Monroe catch was huge for the Ravens...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: