Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Coordinator changes?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Coordinator changes? Reply with quote

Everyone has suggested a change of coordinators since Gunther and Scott got here, myself included. But let's be realistic here. Who would you replace them with? Who's out there right now that would do a better job? And I don't mean "my blind grandma could do a better job" responses. I'm serious here. If you want someone gone, who would you replace them with?
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After this season my ideal coaching staff would look like this:

HC- Bill O'Brien
OC- Scott Linehan
Co-DC- Jim Schwartz
Co-DC- Gunter Cunningham

I like what I've seen out of the defense so far, so preferably we wouldn't mess with that aspect. I don't think Linehan should be calling the plays or deciding which personel groups we use, but he is a smart coach and runs a good offensive scheme. Schwartz doesn't seem to control the team that well either. Bill O'Brien is a very smart offensive minded coach who is very skilled with building up QB's. He also has managed to turn the Penn State program into a respectable place after the Sandusky cover up. I know this isn't realistic to have your HC just accept a demotion so here are two more realistic outcomes:

HC- Jim Schwartz
OC- Bill O'Brien
DC- Gunter Cunningham

or

HC- Bill O'Brien
OC- Scott Linehan
DC- Gunter Cunningham

CWood21 wrote:
This anti-Teddy crap is getting out of hand.

R.I.P. Stylish
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now? No one. Don't really see bringing anyone in mid season. Maybe give play calling responsibilities to someone else on offense though.

Team Stylish

Thanks to IDOG for the sig!
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is zero chance we have a new HC and keep anyone else around. Gunther hasn't done a bad job IMO. This D is not that bad, especially with the offense we should have.

And how can you say Linehan is a smart coach with good schemes? You said yourself he should be able to call plays or pick the personel being used which is what he does now. That is his scheme. The play calling is exactly what he does. I will be pretty upset if he is still here next year.

As for who would replace, I don't think there is an answer right now. If fired it would likely be a hire from within which I'm not confident in. It's probably not a good idea to switch now given the time it takes to implement a scheme and playbook, but something needs to be changed in the offseason.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a big fan of mid season coaching changes but at seasons end I would like to see them pursue Kent Austin for OC or HC.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Jrugges

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd hire OC Jay Gruden from the Bengals to be our HC. Hire his brother(John) to be the OC. I'd prolly keep most the defensive staff(Gunther/Walsh). If we had to hire a DC from somewhere I'd look into the college ranks with Mark Dantonio but I'm not sure it's realistic.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stafford is extremely fortunate to have had offensive consistency during his career. Honestly, I'm not in a rush to replace Linehan.

Team Stylish
Louis Delmas26

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that we shouldn't fire the coaching staff yet, and I want to see how the rest of the season goes especially after a win yesterday, but if I had to choose a new coaching staff mine would be:

HC- Kevin Sumlin (Head Coach of Texas A&M)
OC and Assistant HC- Josh McDaniels (OC of the New England Patriots)
DC- Gunther Cunningham

I know Josh McDaniels is one of the reasons why Denver went downhill, but he is a great OC and is an innovator. With McDaniels and Sumlin our offense should really be able to open things up more effectively.
Rockcity

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Stafford is extremely fortunate to have had offensive consistency during his career. Honestly, I'm not in a rush to replace Linehan.
I don't even think he's playing to staffords strengths. Did we need a #1 pick throwing most of his passes uunder 10yds... and setting stafford up in obvious situations. He needs a new offencive mind imo. Linehan is plan and perdictable. Only thing he is make look good is the OL...

I can see all this short stuff if you actually would take some dam shots down field. I have seen maybe one time where he looked like he had a d off balance. I know thet percentage ain't good ill put it that way. We are not backing teams off with short passing. I'm trying to give him as chance but its tough and tough to watch. There are so many cordinators I'd love to see get a shot. Linehan would probably make a good college coach tho and imo that's where he belongs.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockcity wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
I don't even think he's playing to staffords strengths. Did we need a #1 pick throwing most of his passes uunder 10yds... and setting stafford up in obvious situations. He needs a new offencive mind imo. Linehan is plan and perdictable. Only thing he is make look good is the OL...

You'd rather Stafford throw downfield when Calvin, Burleson, Broyles and Durham are his WRs? I'm not sure I would. Calvin's clearly getting double-teamed, but the others aren't going to consistently beat their man.

Team Stylish
Rockcity

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Rockcity wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

You'd rather Stafford throw downfield when Calvin, Burleson, Broyles and Durham are his WRs? I'm not sure I would. Calvin's clearly getting double-teamed, but the others aren't going to consistently beat their man.
you have to be able to take shots tho or the d will never be honest. Your right I don't think we have the right wrs...wasn't nate coming here mean we wanna strencth the field bc that's what we were told. With his scheme you'd think we need tough wrs with all these screens and slants.plus I wasn't talkn about throwing deep all the time. He has to learn how to strecth a D imo. Then you will be able to break some of that short stuff.. we need a #2 that can get deep..so that's not linehans fault. I can almost promise they draft a high rd wr who can get deep over running a good slant route. He need to use the whole route tree not just one or two all games teams catch on. Hes to perdictable
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockcity wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Rockcity wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

you have to be able to take shots tho or the d will never be honest. Your right I don't think we have the right wrs...wasn't nate coming here mean we wanna strencth the field bc that's what we were told. With his scheme you'd think we need tough wrs with all these screens and slants.plus I wasn't talkn about throwing deep all the time. He has to learn how to strecth a D imo. Then you will be able to break some of that short stuff.. we need a #2 that can get deep..so that's not linehans fault. I can almost promise they draft a high rd wr who can get deep over running a good slant route. He need to use the whole route tree not just one or two all games teams catch on. Hes to perdictable

Yep, I agree: we need a speed compliment at WR. They've tried (a few times) to find that player, but it just hasn't happened yet. Once they have a deep threat opposite Calvin, Stafford can pay defenses pay for doubling (and sometimes tripling) him.

Team Stylish
adamjace

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We win a game and people are calling for our coordinators heads... That's a first.

Donald Driver is top 3 receiver.
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamjace wrote:
We win a game and people are calling for our coordinators heads... That's a first.

No one is "calling for our coordinators heads", but there has been discussion about changing them up for years. I wanted some ideas about who people were thinking about replacing them with.

And just because we won a game doesn't mean our situation doesn't need improving. I'm not a doom and gloom pessimist, but I'm also not a "on a whim" type of fan. My beliefs for this team don't change game to game.
USNinc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockcity wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
I don't even think he's playing to staffords strengths. Did we need a #1 pick throwing most of his passes uunder 10yds...

I can see all this short stuff if you actually would take some dam shots down field. .

Stafford is averaging 8.4 yards per pass.
Payton Manning is at 9.4, Rodgers is at 8.7, Brees is at 8.0.
What are you talking about?

As for the shorter passes...Did you notice last year? Most teams played 2 safetys deep against us taking away the long ball. We changed this year to adding Bush and running shorter routes.

Adapting is what we did...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: