Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Would you want to trade for Josh Gordon or Kenny Britt?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesl2424

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a rehab issue or it could just be the front office touching all bases at a position of need. Something like if Manningham wasn't coming back we might offer a second but since he is we won't budge off a third. Personally I deal the second and not think twice.
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, Harbaugh said Manningham will start practice soon so he should be good to return soon. I think Harbaugh and the crew are not only looking for help this season, but in the future as well. Lets face it, our WR situation has a lot of uncertainties heading into next season.

Giving up a 2nd round pick here isn't much considering Gordon's talent and the fact we will get KC's pick if they win three more games.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyJersey9er wrote:
If the 9ers don't get Gordon than I want Baalke to trade up for Brandon Coleman. He will be a beast at WR.

Trade up for Coleman? What in the 3rd round? Confused Coleman's hands are about as shaky as they come. He makes VD look like Larry Fitzgerald. He's basically a James Hardy clone.

A Big Thanks To PatsDynasty21
Forge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kikuchiyo wrote:
DirtyJersey9er wrote:
If the 9ers don't get Gordon than I want Baalke to trade up for Brandon Coleman. He will be a beast at WR.

Trade up for Coleman? What in the 3rd round? Confused Coleman's hands are about as shaky as they come. He makes VD look like Larry Fitzgerald. He's basically a James Hardy clone.

Yes, and he has the size but I already seriously question his ability to be able to create separation at the next level. Personally, if we are going wide out, Jordan Matthews is easily my first round receiver crush right now.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
Forge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Nah, Harbaugh said Manningham will start practice soon so he should be good to return soon. I think Harbaugh and the crew are not only looking for help this season, but in the future as well. Lets face it, our WR situation has a lot of uncertainties heading into next season.

Giving up a 2nd round pick here isn't much considering Gordon's talent and the fact we will get KC's pick if they win three more games.

Yes, that's why I'm shocked if the real reason that we don't pull the trigger on this trade is because Mario and Crabs should be back this year. Gordon would not be a one season rental to help our roster; he'd be a boon for the forseeable future.

Boldin a free agent and probably wants a decent contract and may even retire if the desire strikes. If we already had Gordon and Crabs, we could save the few million dollars we would have to spend on Boldin for other things. Kyle Williams is a free agent, and I'm sorry, at some point the staff has to acknowledge that he's not a starting caliber (or even 3rd or 4th caliber) NFL receiver. He has the speed but offers nothing as a deep threat, he can work the sidelines okay, but nothing special. Rio is a free agent, and I can't see us resigning him, though I will admit that at this point, unless he has a monster second half, which I seriously doubt, he'd be fairly cheap.

I find it likely that we would go with another wide receiver early in the draft again this year, so why not just go with someone we know can produce at the NFL level. Wide receiver tends not to be plug and play, so any rookie we were to draft may not be capable of coming in and making an immediate impact anyway; plus, we are simply horrible at drafting wide receivers and it's fully possible that whoever we draft busts (hello AJ Jenkins!!!). Again, advantage of Gordon is that we know what he brings to the table and he should only get better as he grows.

I also think he's under contract for what, 2 more years after this one? That means that if Crabtree asks for too much money after next year, we'd at least be in a much better position to withstand that type of loss than our personnel currently allows us to be.

On a current year note, there's no guarantee that Crabs comes back and is capable of being who he was last year. Plus, not to jinx us or anything, but given the foot problems Crabs has had in the past, how much he relies on that hard cut in his routes, and the fact that he's been off the foot for a while, I could totally see him suffering a stress fracture on that foot again as he is trying to get back to the lineup or soon after. Rio will probably be okay as he has had a lot of time to get better, but he's better suited as a 3 than a 2 to me. Williams simply hasn't shown anything as a receiver, and though Baldwin has the raw physical tools to succeed as a one or two, he's still learning the playbook and offense, still developing chemistry with the team, and let's be honest, never really flashed the full on desire/ability to be that guy in Kansas City.

Again, the only real concern that we should have would be the 1 year suspension if Gordon gets into trouble again. But it's totally worth the risk given his skill.

J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I spoke to both Mario Manningham and Michael Crabtree after the Texans game. Manningham was very excited to talk to me about the idea of him coming back. He told me that he will be ready to practice soon and mentioned the bye week as when he thinks that he would be fully ready to go.

http://www.profootballcentral.com/2013/10/07/san-francisco-49ers-considering-trading-for-josh-gordon/``

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think giving up a second would be worth it to get a good WR who has done something in this league. At least you know what you're getting vs chancing it on a rookie who might not end up being good. We need the help and I don't see MM doing anything special after he comes back from injury.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His next infraction earns a 1 yr suspension, IIRC. So, no thank you.
xXFlyteXx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has the talent to trade a second rd pick to get him but he has the off the field issues that negate that potential.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
Kyle Williams is a free agent, and I'm sorry, at some point the staff has to acknowledge that he's not a starting caliber (or even 3rd or 4th caliber) NFL receiver.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
Kyle Williams is a free agent, and I'm sorry, at some point the staff has to acknowledge that he's not a starting caliber (or even 3rd or 4th caliber) NFL receiver. .

From time to time I say one of our guys is a "scrub". It rubs some people the wrong way, but all I mean by it is that he's just a guy holding a roster spot and likely no better than any other backup holding a roster spot on some other team. But our "scrubs" are our scrubs and so we love them. Often it's hard to step back and ask how a guy compares to other guys playing similar roles on other teams.

KW is a guy like that for me. Many here love him, but I don't know why - other than of course he's a 49er It's hard for me to conceive of any of us watching him play, as he does, for another team and then having a conversation here about how we'd like to add him to our team. If we did happen to get Gordon and then Manningham and maybe Crabs, I'd have no problem at all if he was the guy that left the team to make room for them. When I look at the overall lack of skill at the WR position for us and what we need to do to "fix" that position the only way I can see him is possibly as a 4th or 5th receiver, and for that I'd prefer a younger guy with more upside. I see no upside in KW at all at this point.

I appreciate him as a 49er, and am grateful for his effort and his contributions, I just think that there would be no room for him on a roster that had 4 pretty good NFL receivers on it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Forge wrote:
Kyle Williams is a free agent, and I'm sorry, at some point the staff has to acknowledge that he's not a starting caliber (or even 3rd or 4th caliber) NFL receiver. .

From time to time I say one of our guys is a "scrub". It rubs some people the wrong way, but all I mean by it is that he's just a guy holding a roster spot and likely no better than any other backup holding a roster spot on some other team. But our "scrubs" are our scrubs and so we love them. Often it's hard to step back and ask how a guy compares to other guys playing similar roles on other teams.

KW is a guy like that for me. Many here love him, but I don't know why - other than of course he's a 49er It's hard for me to conceive of any of us watching him play, as he does, for another team and then having a conversation here about how we'd like to add him to our team. If we did happen to get Gordon and then Manningham and maybe Crabs, I'd have no problem at all if he was the guy that left the team to make room for them. When I look at the overall lack of skill at the WR position for us and what we need to do to "fix" that position the only way I can see him is possibly as a 4th or 5th receiver, and for that I'd prefer a younger guy with more upside. I see no upside in KW at all at this point.

I appreciate him as a 49er, and am grateful for his effort and his contributions, I just think that there would be no room for him on a roster that had 4 pretty good NFL receivers on it.
I'm with you. KW would be nothing special and many of us wouldn't even know who he was if he never played for us and was buried on some other team's depth chart.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
John232

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Forge wrote:

+1

xsaMainevent on the sig
49ersfan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Forge wrote:

I think the 57 yard pass in the Bears game is what a lot of people remember. Other than that and the deep TD in the Bills game, he really has done little as an NFL receiver. He is not a starter and not even a guy i want as as the 3rd WR. He's a solid #4 at best.

I think his punt return ability is saving his job. If everyone else we had returning punts wasn't such a liablity he would be the second WR out the door when we get Manningham and Crabs back.
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
Forge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
Forge wrote:
Kyle Williams is a free agent, and I'm sorry, at some point the staff has to acknowledge that he's not a starting caliber (or even 3rd or 4th caliber) NFL receiver.

sorry oldie, but the guy has 9 catches in 5 games. Last year he had 14 in his abbreviated season. His career hiigh is 20. This year he has been a starter and number 2 for the majority of that. He hasn't shown anything to me. Looking around the league I see guys like reuben randle, harry douglas, doug baldwin etc as #3s, and I don't see Williams aywhere near where they are skill wise. At this point I feel like what he is now is all he will ever be and thats not a good wide receiver.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: