Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Aldon Smith arrested by SJ Police - Sentenced to jail time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rudyZ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
Just as I thought. I knew this would appease Goddell. Some here thought I was wrong for saying this could have been done because they thought Goddell would suspend him for the year.

No, you are still wrong. First of all Goodell said he will take everything into consideration, not for sure he will reduce the penalty. Second of all, you made your comments BEFORE the latest charges. Seems like you didn't even read my posts from the page prior as I showed why reducing the suspension isn't all what you think. Why would Aldon be suspended for a season for a DUI? It was reported he would likely get anywhere from 2-4 games. So if this did indeed appease Goodell and he reduced it to two games, Aldon would miss seven games total. Without Goodell reducing the suspension, Aldon misses four games. So please explain to me again how the Niners did this for their own interest?

Ps, all that gets thrown out of the window due to the new charges though. SP, made his claims before the felony charges.

For one, I consider having Aldon go through rehab and being clean and sober is in the Niners interest, especially considering we will soon give him a lot of money on a long-term contract. Look beyond the number of games he will miss or play this year.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ding ding ding!!!!! Exactly, they are doing this for the intetest of their 1st round investment who could become their franchise player on the defensive end. They aren't doing this to save their butts for a suspension. They know more so than any of us what kind of issues he's dealing with. A statement can't just be made that he has no problem when we are not with him on a daily basis. The team knew they had to get him back on track soon, or risk losing him forever.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also let's also consider that the recent bonehead move Aldon did was the DUI arrest that led to his going to rehab. Everything else so far stems from Summer 2012.

I have a new Sports Blog check it at:
http://buttfumblesports.wordpress.com/
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyJersey9er wrote:
Also let's also consider that the recent bonehead move Aldon did was the DUI arrest that led to his going to rehab. Everything else so far stems from Summer 2012.
That's why I don't think Smith has "a problem". I think he's young and dumb and made mistakes that some young people make. He and the Niners probably thought rehab was a good way to appease Goddell. Just my take, he may have a drinking problem but I doubt it. I'm leaning more on the side of him just being foolish.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the thing, why would the team worry about Goodell reducing the penalty if he was going to miss more games this way anyways?

Aldon is a guy the team cannot afford to lose and they wanted to make sure he got help before it was too late.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
This is the thing, why would the team worry about Goodell reducing the penalty if he was going to miss more games this way anyways?

Aldon is a guy the team cannot afford to lose and they wanted to make sure he got help before it was too late.
You obviously don't get my point. Goddell suspended Pacman and Big Ben before they were formally charged. They were only arrested but not convicted yet just like Aldon. With the 2 DUIs and the gun charges Aldon was at a pretty high percentage of being suspended for awhile IMO.

So yeah, me thinking other than a drinking problem is why the team and Aldon wanted to go this route. You thinking that he would only miss a handful of games is naive.

"Keep choppin' wood"
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are bringing up the gun charges but those came AFTER your the DUI.

So yes, Jason La Canfora and Adam Schefter reported after the incident he could look at a 2-4 game suspension. The first DUI ended up being a wreckless driving charge, so technically this would be the first time he would be charged for this. I am not naive at all, no one in their right mind thought he was going to suspended for the entire season. Heck, the day after the incident Goodell said we will not make a decision until the case is heard in court.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He can't be suspended for the gun charges until that case is heard. The DA thnks he has a case, but his defense team thinks he's innocent. It's not at all straight forward. That has to be adjudicated before the league can decide what to do. If they try suspending him before then that would be like calling him guilty just because he was charged.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
He can't be suspended for the gun charges until that case is heard. The DA thnks he has a case, but his defense team thinks he's innocent. It's not at all straight forward. That has to be adjudicated before the league can decide what to do. If they try suspending him before then that would be like calling him guilty just because he was charged.
Do you guys even follow football outside of the 49ers? Goddell has made decisions on guys before they had their day in court. Pacman, Big Ben, are a couple of the ones I know he did that for sure. I know there are more. Chris Henry was another one.

"Keep choppin' wood"
rudyZ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
Do you guys even follow football outside of the 49ers? Goddell has made decisions on guys before they had their day in court. Pacman, Big Ben, are a couple of the ones I know he did that for sure. I know there are more. Chris Henry was another one.

But were the facts in those cases even contested? In the case of Aldon's gun charges, he's pleading an honest mistake. If the court agreed that it was an honest mistake, and Goodell had already suspended Aldon for it, then Aldon could and should sue the league. Chris Henry wason his third offense when he was suspended before his trial was over, and I'm not sure, but I think he had already pleaded guilty. Pacman Jones had been caught bribing autorities after his Las Vegas arrest, so his guilt was obvious there too. With Aldon, it isn't so black or white. He did something that was legal in one state, but illegal in another. There is the distinct possibility of an honest mistake and that he will be acquitted of the charges. THAT is why Goodell won't punish him before the trial is over. Because otherwise, Aldon would file a grievance with the NFLPA and sue the NFL for undue suspension and loss of pay. The only thing the NFL can suspend Aldon over right now is the DUI, and the voluntary rehab looks to play into the punishment. I fully expect Aldon to get a fine, but no further suspension for the DUI, and if found guilty on the gun possession charges, to get 2 games, because there IS the distinct possibility of an honest mistake. 4 games only if they end up considering the rehab as a suspension in itself, and the gun charges as a second offense. But really, the guns came before the DUI, so that should be considered the first offense and get the 2 games. Aldon will already have missed more than 4 games for the DUI anyway.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, let's look before the gun charges as they are irrelevant.

So for DUI charges alone, you think he would have gotten a full season for that? And you could bring up certain situations where Goodell has made a decision before trial, but I could bring up 100X more situations when he has waited until trial. Aldon wasn't even suspended for his first DUI as the judge changed it to wreckless driving. And how many games did Big Ben get?

But let's be real, you will completely ignore the fact that it was reported Sunday morning the week of the incident that Goodell would wait before making a decision. Even if I bring a quote up you will just look past it and continue to stick by your chance of Aldon being gone for a season.............

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
big9erfan wrote:

Yeah, I know. But each case is different. It's the personal conduct clause Goodell invokes. But owning guns is not against the NFL personal conduct policy. If that were the case half or more of the league would be suspended. And they were legally acquired in a state where they were not banned. So what's left if bringing them into another state, and the details of that will be argued out by lots of lawyers. I'm no expert on the personal conduct clause but his case seems a lot different from the ones you have mentioned.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys guys guys, lets for a minute COMPLETELY forget about the gun charges. I think this is why it is getting confusing as Steadypimpin made claims of Aldon being gone for a season BEFORE the gun charges. So does a get a full season for a DUI charge, yes or no?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Guys guys guys, lets for a minute COMPLETELY forget about the gun charges. I think this is why it is getting confusing as Steadypimpin made claims of Aldon being gone for a season BEFORE the gun charges. So does a get a full season for a DUI charge, yes or no?

Not so. His comments after the DUI (first page of this thread) were that Harbaugh "would probably sit him out". Then on the second page he said "prepare for him to be suspended by Goddell for a lengthy time", but that was not about the DUI. It was about reports that Marrijuana were found in his car. His first mention of a full season suspension came in his post that immediately followed the news of the gun charges.

In any case your own post way back early in this thread answers the DUI question pretty well. A couple games sounds about right for a DUI unless they think the guy has had other trouble before that. Even then not nearly a full season suspension. Heck, even PEDs use only gets a few games.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I was talking about his comments in another thread, but I fail to see how he gets suspended for an entire season for a DUI charge.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 13 of 29

Jump to: