Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers LB Aldon Smith arrested [Update: Return to the 53]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mse326

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeebs wrote:
Officer Ricky wrote:
More on the story:

Quote:
It is unclear why it took more than a year for deputies to turn the case over to prosecutors in July following last summer's party at Smith's rented 8,000-square-foot-house in the foothills near San Jose.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/investigations/49ers-Aldon-Smith-Faces-Felony-Weapons-Charges-DA-227093931.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_BAYBrand

There is a part of me that thinks that the long amount of time that this "investigation" took is a bad omen for the DA. I know that the Santa Clara DA has been under a lot of scrutiny for appearing to favor the wealthy and famous. Further, when the civil suit against Smith came out, people started inquiring as to why there were no criminal charges stemming from the same incident which seems to have ultimately led to this. I don't think these offenses have a minimum 1 year sentence. I believe the minimum is probation.

Lastly, I'll jump on my soapbox. Its absolutely ridiculous that something can be deemed completely legal and socially acceptable in one state while at the same time be the bane of society in another. What made the rifles illegal in California was probably something as silly as having a magazine release.

You don't want the alternatives (if one state is ok with it all must be OR a purely federal law system where criminal is nationalized).

The time it took can be any number of reasons. I wouldn't look too much into this. I'd also be shocked if this doesn't end in a plea deal. There doesn't seem to be much question that he factually committed the crimes so it will really come down to how much punishment the DA thinks he deserves. Given that it is almost certainly lower than the max possible, it's likely they'll get it. Without knowing the jurisdiction I can't say how tough or lenient they are so it would be pointless to predict the punishment. It can be anywhere from probation to over a year in prison.

He really needs to get his life sorted out before he even thinks of returning to football. He obviously has some problems to contend with.

#JDI
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smith doesn't have a problem. He's just a dumb kid who made a few mistakes. That's life. I don't consider him to be some hardcore gun slinging drunk. The fact is that he made a few bad choices. I hate how some here act like he's out of control. I'm 36 and I've made my fair share of mistakes in my life and have overcome them. Don't judge the dude on a couple of bad decisions. I'm not trying to downplay drinking and driving but there are millions of good people who get DUIs every year but they're mostly just like us who just had a bad night out.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
Smith doesn't have a problem. He's just a dumb kid who made a few mistakes. That's life. I don't consider him to be some hardcore gun slinging drunk. The fact is that he made a few bad choices. I hate how some here act like he's out of control. I'm 36 and I've made my fair share of mistakes in my life and have overcome them. Don't judge the dude on a couple of bad decisions. I'm not trying to downplay drinking and driving but there are millions of good people who get DUIs every year but they're mostly just like us who just had a bad night out.

Yeah, the thing is, is you don't know him. The people who employ him, work with him, and know him have encouraged him to go to rehab. You go to rehab because you have a problem. Additionally, it isn't judging him to say he does have a problem. That's just the reality of the situation.

Adopt-a-Chief: Travis "Better Than Tony Moeaki" Kelce
20 catches, 274 yards, 3 TDs
49erjunkie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakuvious wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:

Yeah, the thing is, is you don't know him. The people who employ him, work with him, and know him have encouraged him to go to rehab. You go to rehab because you have a problem. Additionally, it isn't judging him to say he does have a problem. That's just the reality of the situation.
this is true and that is why I am glad hes doing something about it. There is a certain point where you need to own up to your actions instead of using the boys will be boys excuse.

Walter Redskins on the sig.
Nucky

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

I'll be real if these guys want to put themselves in situations like this I don't really feel sorry if they get hurt or in trouble. You make mistakes you do them at your own expense. But if someone else would have gotten hurt it doesn't become "just a mistake".

He's not doing himself any favors for himself or the 49ers. There is no way I'd consider letting this guy set foot in my facility cause he obviously needs help.
"Fellas, I can tolerate arrogance, conceit, greed but self-pity is the one thing that just chaps my a--. We've experienced difficulty, but I will not tolerate, nor be part of, anything resembling self-pity."- Brian Billick
FootballProdiG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:

There are bad decisions, and there are idiotic decisions. Which ones do you think these were?
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say peace out to your NFL Career.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
phinsforlife

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
Say peace out to your NFL Career.

I'd be beyond shocked if Aldon Smith doesn't play another snap.
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakuvious wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:

if you buy into that I think it's foolish of you. The organization knows that he's an asset. They want him to go because they probably think if he misses significant time Goddell might just say it's "time served" for him. They're doing it for their own interests probably more than Smith's.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loldon Smith.

This guy is brilliant. Almost as stupid as Aaron Hernandez. Way to [inappropriate/removed] away a ton of money!!

PM sig requests.
Stance Punk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DUI is one thing. Shooting a firearm in the air is inexcusable.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stance Punk wrote:
DUI is one thing. Shooting a firearm in the air is inexcusable.

logic fail

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:

if you buy into that I think it's foolish of you. The organization knows that he's an asset. They want him to go because they probably think if he misses significant time Goddell might just say it's "time served" for him. They're doing it for their own interests probably more than Smith's.

He's the foolish one? He's not the one who is putting his head in the sand which you are doing because he is on your favorite team. He didn't have just ONE bad night. He's had numerous ones so far and that trend wasn't going to end any time soon without assistance. What evidence have you seen so far that he is going to turn his life around? I could understand if this is just an isolated event but it's pretty clear to most objective people that this guy has some problems and he needs to deal with them or his career or worse will be over sooner rather than later. The guy is one of the most talented players in the NFL but it won't matter if he is behind bars. I hope, for his sake, the help he is getting will last for the rest of his life. He could be the nicest guy in the world but that's not the point here.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig
sp6488

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:
Jeebs wrote:
Officer Ricky wrote:
More on the story:

Quote:
It is unclear why it took more than a year for deputies to turn the case over to prosecutors in July following last summer's party at Smith's rented 8,000-square-foot-house in the foothills near San Jose.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/investigations/49ers-Aldon-Smith-Faces-Felony-Weapons-Charges-DA-227093931.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_BAYBrand

There is a part of me that thinks that the long amount of time that this "investigation" took is a bad omen for the DA. I know that the Santa Clara DA has been under a lot of scrutiny for appearing to favor the wealthy and famous. Further, when the civil suit against Smith came out, people started inquiring as to why there were no criminal charges stemming from the same incident which seems to have ultimately led to this. I don't think these offenses have a minimum 1 year sentence. I believe the minimum is probation.

Lastly, I'll jump on my soapbox. Its absolutely ridiculous that something can be deemed completely legal and socially acceptable in one state while at the same time be the bane of society in another. What made the rifles illegal in California was probably something as silly as having a magazine release.

You don't want the alternatives (if one state is ok with it all must be OR a purely federal law system where criminal is nationalized).

The time it took can be any number of reasons. I wouldn't look too much into this. I'd also be shocked if this doesn't end in a plea deal. There doesn't seem to be much question that he factually committed the crimes so it will really come down to how much punishment the DA thinks he deserves. Given that it is almost certainly lower than the max possible, it's likely they'll get it. Without knowing the jurisdiction I can't say how tough or lenient they are so it would be pointless to predict the punishment. It can be anywhere from probation to over a year in prison.

He really needs to get his life sorted out before he even thinks of returning to football. He obviously has some problems to contend with.

This x1000. I will take a system with some quirkiness in laws from state to state over the alternative any day.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calibucsfan wrote:
It pisses me off so much that SO many NFL players in the past(and now Smith) always get slapped with this stupid charge.............like how hard is it to go get a gun permit and register your weapons.....

to posess assault weapons? Prob harder than just "going to get a gun permit"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 18 of 22

Jump to: