Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Specific Problems With The Squad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marky_b27

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
If they're playing man just run our receivers deep and attack them underneath with Shady and our TEs. The thing about man coverage is that it allows you to move the defenders around and create space.

The lack of adjustments on offense has definitely been sort of strange.

You must wonder what Chip is doing.

Is he just used to his way working?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man coverage is easy to beat, unless your opponent is superior, then it is impossible to beat.

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZ_Eaglesfan wrote:
Man coverage is easy to beat, unless your opponent is superior, then it is impossible to beat.

We have one of the best backs in football, I think we could find a way to get him in space.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.
birdman0069

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjapirate wrote:
birdman0069 wrote:
The DC isn't a problem yet. We do not have enough quality players on either side of the ball to be calling for coaches to be replaced.
QB, WR (x2) and TE all need to be upgraded.
DL, LB and Secondary all have issues and need better quality.
This is a rebuilding process. Key word here is process.
All the people that thought we could be successfull right out of the gate were dead wrong. It's incredibly hard to win while replacing all of the coaches, all of schemes and a lot of the players. Be patient and understand this is a 3-4 win football team and we are shooting to be better over the next two seasons.

if this a rebuilding process why the hell did we re-sign vick?

The eagles went into this season too wishy-washy and it has hurt them badly. We are terrible.

Totally agree the Birds didn't handle this past off season well at all and that's a direct reflection on a young and inexpierenced GM. They had no choice but to resign Vick if nothing more then for P.R. reasons.
"Look, we're trying to win now" and people buy it all day. Make no mistake, this team is rebuilding from the ground up. Not retooling or any other quaint little phases people love to throw around these days. Now, everybody that picked us to win 10 games is in duck and cover mode.
I didn't like Hiring Kelly very much but I think he can have success when, and only when, he has better players that fit his scheme and style of play.
That requires rebuilding.

Props to Eagles _808 on the sig.
PE, the new poster child for birth control.

Birdman, slowest to 10K
AZ_Eaglesfan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this team doesn't win its next two games, I think it is very likely they are tanking for draft position. Thinking back to some of the roster moves, maybe the whole win now thing was just a publicity stunt to keep fan interest.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specific problems?

OT - Johnson isn't ready yet.
When he is Peters will be on the decline. Yay Kelly!
OG - Herremans is showing his age.
Mathis will follow.
OC - Kelce is average because he's a little too light.
Vandervelde is more focused on American Idol.
QB - Vick isn't good enough.
Neither is Foles or Barkley.
WR - Jackson is good, but he's the only guy you have to worry about.
Cooper can't get separation from a trashcan in coverage.
Johnson is too small.
Avant is Avant.
Maclin is broken.
Maehl is awesome in garbage time.
TE - Four average TE's don't make one great one.
DE - This is the strength of the defense. Sad.
DT - Sopoaga is just terrible.
Logan may get better, but he'll never take a full games worth of snaps there.
OLB - Graham is horrible at everything. McDougle II.
Cole is dominant against the run ... not so much against the pass. What does a 3-4 OLB do, again?
I saw a shot of Barwin on the bench huffing and puffing, but I did not hear his name in the field of play. Hmm.
ILB - Kendricks is still finding his way in the NFL.
Ryans is still finding his way out of the NFL.
Matthews is still in the NFL.
Goode should be spelled "Baade."
CB - Boykin is relegated to the slot and he's the best cover guy.
Williams is great when he cheats and doesn't get caught. He gets caught.
Fletcher is the best CB and he's a low CB2.
Two guys were added after the season started (Carmichael and Prater). Great names, but WTF?
S - Beuller? Beuller? Beuller?
OK, maybe Wolff will be decent. And then what?
K - Could be comeback player of the year ..... next year.
P - Well, we know who's going to the Pro-Bowl (despite the block) along with LeSean McCoy.

Hey, RB is nailed down, yeah!

For all of the guys I did not name, be glad.

OK, saltiness aside, what did anybody expect.
I watched predictions grow from two wins to four, to eight to 10.
It was like a transcribed version of WIP.

Derp.

It is what it is. I've seen many a rebuilding year. This is one.
You just can't have expectations or criticize too much.
Everybody should know that most of these guys won't be here when the Eagles are good again.
But, they don't.

Under/Over: How many games until you see a "Fire Chip Kelly" sign?
Premature to be sure, but this is Philly, silly.
babyatemydingo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZ_Eaglesfan wrote:
If this team doesn't win its next two games, I think it is very likely they are tanking for draft position. Thinking back to some of the roster moves, maybe the whole win now thing was just a publicity stunt to keep fan interest.

They're not tanking.
They're bad.
AZ_Eaglesfan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyatemydingo wrote:
AZ_Eaglesfan wrote:

They're not tanking.
They're bad.

By tanking I was referring to the offseason and the lack of acquired talent as well as the curious roster moves that took place in the preseason. It could be that they wanted this team to be bad. That being said, we could easily be 3-3 in two weeks and sitting in first place. This team is still bad.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZ_Eaglesfan wrote:
babyatemydingo wrote:
AZ_Eaglesfan wrote:

They're not tanking.
They're bad.

By tanking I was referring to the offseason and the lack of acquired talent as well as the curious roster moves that took place in the preseason. It could be that they wanted this team to be bad. That being said, we could easily be 3-3 in two weeks and sitting in first place. This team is still bad.

Nobody tanks acquiring talent, so long as it isn't expiring talent.
You don't sign a 34-year-old when rebuilding, but you do sign a 24-year-old.
The problem is that a 24-year-old doesn't want to sign with you.

The Redskins spent a decade proving that free agency is not how you build a squad.
People have learned from that.

As for 3-3 and 1st place ...
Root for ASU.
They have a better chance.
This is "rebuilding" in its purest form.
AZ_Eaglesfan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyatemydingo wrote:
AZ_Eaglesfan wrote:
babyatemydingo wrote:
AZ_Eaglesfan wrote:

They're not tanking.
They're bad.

Nobody tanks acquiring talent, so long as it isn't expiring talent.
You don't sign a 34-year-old when rebuilding, but you do sign a 24-year-old.
The problem is that a 24-year-old doesn't want to sign with you.

The Redskins spent a decade proving that free agency is not how you build a squad.
People have learned from that.

As for 3-3 and 1st place ...
Root for ASU.
They have a better chance.
This is "rebuilding" in its purest form.

We had the cap space to go after a guy like Kennan Lewis who is playing well in NO. We could have gone after loads of different guys, we didn't. We chose cheap unproven players. This team wasn't built to win this offseason, it was built to lose, even though the GM, HC, and Owner all denied it(obviously). That was my point.

You really don't think we can beat the 0-4 Giants and 0-4 Bucs? I do....

And I am rooting for ASU, taking down ND this weekend.

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are both right.

We're bad but deliberately bad. The front office had the resources to field a better squad but they didn't pull any triggers. To this day we are scratching our heads over the CB depth. To this day we are scratching our heads at S depth and talent. We watched Jeremy Maclin and other WRs drop for the year due to injury and the team responded by signing a guard to the practice squad.

We're bad but deliberately bad. Which is why secretly we're tanking.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.
Withmy89vision

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One big problem is why our we running a 3-4 this year? I know we want to transition there, but our personnel does not fit it at all. We should be running a 4-3 this year most snaps. Cole, Graham and Curry rotate at DE along with Barwin. If Barwin feels more comfortable standing up, he can do that, but it will still be a 4-3 play wise.

Cox and Thornton starting at DT. Then in coverage formations Kendricks is the SAM, Ryans the MIKE and Matthews the WILL. Then in the blitz formations replace Matthews with Barwin.

Also, I think Kendricks is getting too much hate. It's only his second year, and he has had some good plays. Are people forgetting his performance in the Washington game? He just needs to be better disciplined. He has talent, he is a good rusher and he is speedy enough to cover. His technique and awareness are lacking though. Give him one more year before you are totally done with him.

On the other hand, I think Fletcher has been incredibly average and he is getting a lot of love here. As a 2nd or 3rd guy, preferably 3rd, okay he works. But against star WRs he gets abused.

As for our offense, our line has been a lot better with everyone healthy and the addition of Lane. People expected an All-Pro immediately from a guy who was just a QB then a TE are a bit ridiculous. Then our backs are great, and Jackson is good not great. And we have role players.

But we all know the main problem and then the next problem. We need a QB first and foremost, and then we need a target who is always open. It doesn't matter if it's a TE or WR, it would be more convenient if it was a WR, but we need someone.

But next draft and FA, besides drafting a franchise QB I think every resource should go to defense. We need a complete overhaul, and my philosophy is this. If there is a weakness on your defense, it will get exposed meaning the rest of your defense opens up. One weak link destroys a whole defense.

However, as long as you have a QB with a decent oline, if your WRs suck you can get by with running the ball, throwing to the TEs and backs, and clever playcalling to help your WRs out. If you have weak TEs just go spread. If you have a weak running game, use screens as your running game.

Defensively, you can have a great pass rush but a hot route or screen will render that useless. You have a weak corner, then you either have that as a passing weakness or you move a safety to his side which opens up seams over top and the run game. Or a QB can simply use motion to get a lesser play man-on-man with a good receiver, and no amount of good playcalling or pass rush or great coverage by the other players will matter.

I think it's very important to have most of your talent on defense and have a good, well-rounded defense because I think a few stars or even just one great QB can carry an offense.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: