Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rod Smith vs. Demaryius Thomas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  

better WR?
Rod Smith
50%
 50%  [ 5 ]
Demaryius Thomas
50%
 50%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 10

TheChosen186

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Rod Smith vs. Demaryius Thomas Reply with quote

I'm just curious for you Broncos fans, who do you think was better? I'm not talking about career because Smith had a great long career whereas Demaryius is young and still has a lot to go. I'm just talking about abilities here mainly. Rod is my favorite Bronco of all-time and Demaryius is probably my favorite Bronco right now if you made me choose, it's between him and Peyton.
elwayfan07

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two totally different players. Rod Smith was kind of like Decker only Smith could actually catch. Ran great routes and was an abled blocker. Bay-Bay is just an absolute animal.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as physical ability? Demaryius Thomas probably has the 2nd most purely physical ability in the NFL behind Calvin Johnson. He's tall, long, and has one of the best size speed ratios in the NFL (240, 4.3 is just not normal). He's still learning to be a receiver which is kinda scary considering he has the 2nd most yards in the NFL from when his body decided to be healthy (late 2011) to now.

Admittedly, I was too young to know what I was watching when watching Rod, but I know I saw a guy making plays, blocking, doing everything right. And he could catch. Smith got where he got on work ethic and doing everything the right way.

All that being said, Demaryius ceiling is way higher than Rod's was at this age. DT has hall of fame potential, and a great head on his shoulders. The great head on his shoulders actually might hurt his chances at a Hall of Fame selection since so many good receivers these days spend so much time telling everyone how good they are. Demaryius does't really play that game, and I feel like he's ranked by the public behind some receivers that he's actually better than because of his lack of self promotion.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya you cant really compare the two IMO. Rod Smith was undrafted and made his money working hard and being in position. He was a great route runner but physically he wasnt an aminal.

Demaryius on the other hand was a 1st round draft pick and a physical freak, he is big, strong, and has blazing speed which are rare qualities. Yet DT is not as polished as a WR as Rod was and doesnt run routes like Rod.

But Ultimately I would say Rod is the better Pro, DT is the better Talent.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weber27 wrote:
Ya you cant really compare the two IMO. Rod Smith was undrafted and made his money working hard and being in position. He was a great route runner but physically he wasnt an aminal.

Demaryius on the other hand was a 1st round draft pick and a physical freak, he is big, strong, and has blazing speed which are rare qualities. Yet DT is not as polished as a WR as Rod was and doesnt run routes like Rod.

But Ultimately I would say Rod is the better Pro, DT is the better Talent.

+1 Well said weber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all have the same opinion as me. Man, I loved Rod Smith so much. He is my all time favourite Bronco. The ultimate team guy. How many other WRs would say one of the best games they ever played was one where they didn't have a catch all game? Laughing Love the fact he is still sticking around the organisation too.

Every single one of our players could learn what it is to be a pro from Rod Smith.

MUFC OK
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Smith has always been my favorite player, his retirement press conference was hard to watch.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan07 wrote:
Rod Smith has always been my favorite player, his retirement press conference was hard to watch.
He should have 80 retired if it's not already.
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BullsandBroncos wrote:
broncosfan07 wrote:
He should have 80 retired if it's not already.

He doesn't and it is a joke. I like Julius Thomas, but that number should be worn by no other Bronco. Pat Bowlen said he is on a par with John Elway for the best player he has had as our Owner and that says it all.

MUFC OK
broncos67

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod is my all time favorite player, not just Broncos player. He was the consummate pro. I wear my orange Rod Smith jersey every Sunday. It's the best of the bunch.

His number should absolutely be retired. He was the best WR in franchise history and should without a doubt be in the Hall of Fame one day.

Thanks, Tzimisce
germ-x

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the better player is Demaryius Thomas. He is a physical freak at the position. I mean, if i were running a franchise and was told i had to pick between the 2 as my #1 target at the position i would choose Demaryius Thomas in a heartbeat.

I highly doubt that Thomas has the career that Rod Smith had. I think there are a number of obstacles Thomas would have to overcome to have that type of career. Thomas' playing style is one of them. He is very physical for a WR which in turn could very well shorten his career. Rod Smith wrote the book on how to avoid taking hits at the position and was excellent at catching balls and getting down before defenders could get a hit on him. As Thomas ages his game will likely have to transition well in order for him to continue having success. Rod Smith was never the biggest, fastest, or most elusive player at the position. His success came from mastering the technical part of the position, which helps ensure longevity, IMO. Thomas relies heavily on his physical attributes, his size, speed, and power. As he ages and he starts losing some of those abilities he could end up struggling at an earlier age than Smith.
jolly red giant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this moment in time it has to be Rod Smith. The guy was a key factor in the success of the Broncos for years - been there and done that.

DT has the potential to be better but until he has achieved what Smith has achieved in a Broncos uniform then it is a case of achievement V potential.
champ+jay+al=SB

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jolly red giant wrote:
At this moment in time it has to be Rod Smith. The guy was a key factor in the success of the Broncos for years - been there and done that.

DT has the potential to be better but until he has achieved what Smith has achieved in a Broncos uniform then it is a case of achievement V potential.

Rod's achievements are better, but DT is already a better player than Rod ever was imo.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: