Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

PUP
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
5thStringQB

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: PUP Reply with quote

Thought about posting this in TIIT but I feel like it deserves its own thread.

PUP Players

Sean Richardson, JC Tretter, Jerel Worthy, Derek Sherrod

So do we have room for these 4? Who gets cut if they return? Who gets sent to IR?

Things to think about...

One or both of Tretter and Sherrod probably gets placed on IR. Barring injury our Tackle depth is solid right now. Sherrod won't be upseating Barclay, Bak, or Newhouse for that swing tackle position.
5thStringQB's Verdict:Without a need for a 4th Tackle, Sherrod gets placed on IR

Albeit the more likely option, it's hard to see cutting Taylor or Van Roten right now to make room for Tretter considering his lack of playing time. I'm sure he's busy digesting the playbook, but I don't see him making enough progress to be a factor. Maybe TT is ready to cut ties with a Jeremy Ross to make room?
5thStringQB's Verdict:TT cuts a non-factor in favor of Tretter

Teddy's hands may be tied with Worthy. With 8 DL making up 30% of our total defensive personnel, there really is no room for a ninth. Barring injury, the only way Worthy avoids IR is if one of the current DL is released. The only realistic candidate is Boyd but TT has already proved committed to the young 5th rounder.
5SQB's Verdict: Worthy gets sent to IR

IMO, Sean Richardson's situation is the most interesting. He has very little in front of him at the Safety position, as McMillian and Jennings have proven to be nothing more than reserve players and Banjo is unknown. While McMillian isn't untouchable by any stretch of the imagination, I feel as though he is the safest bet to remain. Richardson's best bet at a roster spot is to unseat Banjo, Jennings, or perhaps even Bush. These scenarios seem unlikely however.
5SQB's Verdict: Richardson is released.

So lets hear what you think? Who stays? Who goes?
gbpacker40

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richardson gets a TE cut or possibly a safety, not named Burnett.

Tretter gets GVR cut IMO.

Worthy gets a LB cut. Barrington, Palmer, Francois, Lattimore.

Sherrod gets Lane Taylor cut.

Just guessing here, who knows.

-- Antrel Rolle, on playing against Aaron Rodgers
Macc_Aviv

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I understand, they are not yet sure Richardson will be able to resume his career. His surgery was a neck fusion, and as recently as training camp they were seeking multiple medical opinions about his future.

Wouldn't shock me at all to see Worthy placed on IR, but if he is good to go, another option you didn't mention would be to trade CJ Wilson for a late round pick. Jolly has taken Wilson's place, and Wilson wasn't even active for the game last week. The trade deadline is 10 days away, so they would have to be confident on Worthy medically by that time.

From what I understand Tretter is probably done for the year regardless, pending a quicker than expected timetable.

Sherrod will be interesting. Comments from TT and MM lead me to believe he will be back and practicing, but after this long off of football I have a hard time believing they will move him to the active roster rather than the IR at this point. I bet he practices the full 3 weeks and then his career will come down to the next off-season.
squire12

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macc_Aviv wrote:
As far as I understand, they are not yet sure Richardson will be able to resume his career. His surgery was a neck fusion, and as recently as training camp they were seeking multiple medical opinions about his future.

Wouldn't shock me at all to see Worthy placed on IR, but if he is good to go, another option you didn't mention would be to trade CJ Wilson for a late round pick. Jolly has taken Wilson's place, and Wilson wasn't even active for the game last week. The trade deadline is 10 days away, so they would have to be confident on Worthy medically by that time.

From what I understand Tretter is probably done for the year regardless, pending a quicker than expected timetable.

Sherrod will be interesting. Comments from TT and MM lead me to believe he will be back and practicing, but after this long off of football I have a hard time believing they will move him to the active roster rather than the IR at this point. I bet he practices the full 3 weeks and then his career will come down to the next off-season.

Correction for the bolded above: Oct. 29, 2013: Trade deadline

In new CBA, I think the trade deadline was moved back from Tuesday after week 6 to after week 8. Gives them much more time to assess the options for trading one of the DL.
CentralFC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tretter and Worthy to the IR. Worthy's done due to extensive DL depth and Tretter is done due to missing an important offseason of work.

Sherrod is still a question mark, though I would lean toward another year on IR.

Richardson will come in and compete for a spot but likely be placed on IR as well.
Macc_Aviv

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squire12 wrote:
Macc_Aviv wrote:

Correction for the bolded above: Oct. 29, 2013: Trade deadline

In new CBA, I think the trade deadline was moved back from Tuesday after week 6 to after week 8. Gives them much more time to assess the options for trading one of the DL.

Thanks for the correction. That helps quite a bit. It will be really interesting to see if CJ Wilson stays on the inactive list. He's a solid enough player to have some type of value.
RashaanSalaami

Global Moderator
Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JC Tretter - Almost a definite IR. He hasn't had enough experience to think we can trust him should we need him. Can't rid of guys who have reps and preseason practice for a complete unknown. Can't imagine cutting him.

Sean Richardson - IR seems very likely, though it's also possible we may just let him go. If we haven't done so already though, I think our staff likes his chances next year. No shot of the roster considering his injury uncertainty.

Jerel Worthy - With the DL depth this year, maybe it makes more sense to send him to the IR as well, but if he can return healthy, he's clearly top 8 material IMO. However, with Mike Daniels and Datone Jones, I'm not sure there's a strong need for Worthy this year if the explosiveness isn't all the way back. If we lose a DL to injury (knock on wood), we'll call him up instead of sending him to the IR.

Derek Sherrod - This is the biggest question mark. I'm not sure I like the idea of sending him to the IR. Say we lose one tackle, do we really have Lang kick out to tackle and put a GVR in the game? I would rather roll the dice with Sherrod if he's reasonably healthy. There are guys we could part with to keep an extra OL. Josh Boyd and Lane Taylor are probably 52 and 53.
Joyride15

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RashaanSalaami wrote:
JC Tretter - Almost a definite IR. He hasn't had enough experience to think we can trust him should we need him. Can't rid of guys who have reps and preseason practice for a complete unknown. Can't imagine cutting him.

Sean Richardson - IR seems very likely, though it's also possible we may just let him go. If we haven't done so already though, I think our staff likes his chances next year. No shot of the roster considering his injury uncertainty.

Jerel Worthy - With the DL depth this year, maybe it makes more sense to send him to the IR as well, but if he can return healthy, he's clearly top 8 material IMO. However, with Mike Daniels and Datone Jones, I'm not sure there's a strong need for Worthy this year if the explosiveness isn't all the way back. If we lose a DL to injury (knock on wood), we'll call him up instead of sending him to the IR.

Derek Sherrod - This is the biggest question mark. I'm not sure I like the idea of sending him to the IR. Say we lose one tackle, do we really have Lang kick out to tackle and put a GVR in the game? I would rather roll the dice with Sherrod if he's reasonably healthy. There are guys we could part with to keep an extra OL. Josh Boyd and Lane Taylor are probably 52 and 53.

Newhouse.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless we have an injury on the DL, I think Worthy would be inactive every week if he did come back.
RashaanSalaami

Global Moderator
Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joyride15 wrote:
RashaanSalaami wrote:

Newhouse.

Sorry, my train of thought was interrupted there. What I meant to say was say we lose one tackle, then who are we left with as a swing? I guess other teams don't really have any better alternative than we do, but we also don't have strong depth inside either. I think we're better off having that extra tackle that we don't mind seeing on the field. That way even if a guard goes down, maybe we can move Barclay inside, Newhouse at tackle and still have Derek Sherrod on the bench.

Basically this is all a way of saying Sherrod is probably our 7th best linemen if he can return healthy, which means he should have a spot on the team.
Frank-O

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone of these guys on the PUP gets cut, I've got a feeling it'll be Sherrod. He is Harrell 2.0.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Josh Boyd and Lane Taylor are probably 52 and 53"

One of them might be 52, but Ross is 53.

I think injury is the biggest determining factor. If the roster stays as is through the PUP period, I believe all will go to IR. If Sherrod shows he's ready for action if needed, he may unseat a guy like Ross for extra depth in our O-line.
PACKRULE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tretter to IR
Richardson I could see cut I can't even remember seeing him in a preseason game since he's been with us. He is Harrell 2.0.
Sherrod if leg is good to go will be on the roster. LB or OL released for room for him.
Worthy hard to say as Rashaan pointed out if he's not very explosive or really looking great we likely IR him. If he's got all his stuff likely Boyd or the other guy is gone.
driftwood

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gbpacker40 wrote:
Richardson gets a TE cut or possibly a safety, not named Burnett.

Tretter gets GVR cut IMO.

Worthy gets a LB cut. Barrington, Palmer, Francois, Lattimore.

Sherrod gets Lane Taylor cut.

Just guessing here, who knows.

it'll come down to a numbers game IMO... & remember there is a 3 week buffer once players are cleared from the pup till the team is forced to make a move so that will give a little time to evaluate what they have in PUP guys

anyways, imo Richardson probably gets IR'ed or cut (or stashed on the PS)... they really really liked him last year in camp & i bet they want to see how he looks again at some point when hes healthy & ready to contribute

if tretter is healthy i think they very well make room for him (GVR is probably the guy he replaces) since i think they ultimately wanted tretter as a center anyway. either way JC isnt getting cut so its 53 or IR for him

worthy goes to IR... i think this is a no brainer, his injury happened late last year & there is no reason to rush him back with our DL being this deep. plus they will need him next year with guys like jolly, pickett, neal, wilson & raji all looking for new contracts

Sherrod if healthy absolutely goes to the 53... & would take Taylor's place IMO. hes been out of football for a long time, there is no reason to send him to IR if hes finally healed up especially at the price the packers have invested in him (1st rounder).
RashaanSalaami

Global Moderator
Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SE500 wrote:
"Josh Boyd and Lane Taylor are probably 52 and 53"

One of them might be 52, but Ross is 53.

I think injury is the biggest determining factor. If the roster stays as is through the PUP period, I believe all will go to IR. If Sherrod shows he's ready for action if needed, he may unseat a guy like Ross for extra depth in our O-line.

52 and 53 aren't active players who touch the ball 4-7 times a game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: