Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Fred Davis benched
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MKnight82

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Fred Davis benched Reply with quote

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2013/09/18/redskins-again-turn-to-rookie-te-jordan-reed-down-the-stretch/

With Washington in need of production and points in the latter portions of their loss to Green Bay, offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan turned to rookie Jordan Reed as one of his primary targets. Reed responded by catching both fourth-quarter passes that came his way – including a three-yard touchdown reception. (Reed – Washington’s third-round pick this year – also made a catch in the second quarter and finished the game with three catches and a touchdown for 18 yards on three targets).

Meanwhile, starter Fred Davis, who finished the game with one catch on two targets, wasn’t targeted after the third quarter and played only five snaps in the second half. Davis blew several assignments, according to multiple people with knowledge of the situation, and it’s believed that those errors are what prompted Shanahan to go away from him.

Seriously, we need to let this bum walk at the end of the year.

Thanks to mike23md for the sig

Adopt - a - Redskin
Bashaud Breeland
Jordan Reed
DCRED

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, we have a player who has the potential to be so much better than that chump on the team already.
TheGreeK1973

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any wonder why we drafted Reed. Honestly I fee this kid will be a huge stud for years to come, I love how he catches the ball (he seems to absorb it more than catch it) and did you guys see that TD he caught. lets just say it wasn't one of Roberts best throws.
TheGreeK1973

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any wonder why we drafted Reed. Honestly I fee this kid will be a huge stud for years to come, I love how he catches the ball (he seems to absorb it more than catch it) and did you guys see that TD he caught. lets just say it wasn't one of Roberts best throws.
DCRED

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGreeK1973 wrote:

Totally agree: I've been a believer since the draft. He makes it look easy (unlike any of our other receivers, actually)

I love how he gets separation and finds open zones. He goes after the ball which I wish our WR's could learn. But apparently it is a natural ability that we need to draft because after all these years our WR's (except Garcon) still have problems catching and let the ball bounce off their hands
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When teams go into prevent, a lot of players are getting open.

I don't think Fred is getting benched. I think they are giving Reed playing time in garbage time.

In not taking anything away from Jordan Reed- i loved being wrong about the pick and I've loved what he's done so far but he isn't playing in the first half of games when defenses are going all out on our offense and we've been anemic.

I think Fred is gone at the end of the season, no disagreement there. Fred could be benched later on in the season if its clear we will have a losing season and they want to just look towards the future.

Fred hasn't lost his stating job just yet. IMO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
markrc99

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy's a leftover from the culture of failure (albeit one of the more talented), who has never really played to his potential. With the way things have gone I suppose Shanahan had to bench somebody, although I can think of a few guys who are far more deserving. Some have suggested that Robert Griffin isn't ready & that Kirk Cousins should play. I want to say that the number of his unforced errors was down v Green Bay. Still, you can't start 0-2 at home and 0-3 in the conference. I think Griffin has to halftime to get his placement right. Although, it would be rather strange if Cousins came into the game and suddenly the running game returned to being the league's best, the OL improved their protection of the QB & everything else from that dreadful defense to the punter all started playing great. No unit has played well & perhaps what has happened is simply that the Redskins ran into two very good teams, more stoked to win? Well, the sense of urgency now has to weigh to the side of the Redskins. Reed is a good move, but I'd also get Aldrick Robinson on the field more. Just because defenses know that he's a serious vertical threat doesn't mean they have a guy who can run with him. They'll either afford him a considerable cushion or he'll draw defenders all the way down, opening up the short zone.

I always thought one of ways they were going to use Griffin's speed was to extend the handoff for that stretch play, which clearly would help set up blocks. To get his legs & his speed more involved I'd put him under center more. If his mechanics are affected, have him drop a little deeper so that he feels more room to step into his throws. Oh, that could mess up the timing. Well, that's what crossing routes are for, which have as long a lifespan as any. Give him more stationary targets. Unless he runs the ball, Griffin's speed is negated in that semi-gun. He also has to take his eyes off the coverage to receive the snap. That would seem to undermine this notion that the coaches are trying to protect him, trying to make a pocket passer out of him. Look, this isn't Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, guys who otherwise walk around with a cane. They HAVE to hand the ball off in very close proximity! Use Griffin's unique speed to delay the handoff to Morris! The ball is snapped & both Griffin & Morris explode to say, the right, getting everything flowing that way. Griffin sticks the ball out there for everybody to see. It might have a traditional option pitch look to it, but it wouldn't be that at all. Sometimes he hands it to Morris, but with the movement & the delay they could set up an easy back side screen to the TE or WR. These guys are suppose to be good coaches, stop asking Griffin if he's alright. I mean, wtf is that? They line him up in that pistol but are doing something else. Smarten the **** up will ya. Griffin is hanging in there, waiting for something to break! I haven't seen replay where, oh, he's staring down coverage while he had a rec'r wide open somewhere else. No! Hey, coach --in-your-han, get your QB some help!

Defensively, I think what's been said in the game thread is right. If it's going to be De' Hall let him press Calvin Johnson & he's responsible for the outside all the way down. A LB needs to slide that way to give him inside support and safetie help over the top, all day. In known passing situations, but definitely when Detroit goes 4-wide you have to get those LBs off the field. Riley or Kehl makes your 5-man box... Shouldn't they at least try it? How many other defenses do this, the offense puts all those rec'rs on the field on the defense keeps run down LBs out there? Did Riley look like he had any chance vs Reggie Cobb? Perhaps Fletcher would've faired better? Up front, they had pressure & then it disappeared. Quick passing doesn't negate pressure, it concedes to it! What they're doing had better work this time or they better change it.

On an entirely different subject, I have some great news! I won't be around for a number of days. Ha-ha. Hang in there redskin fans!
FosterTheSkins

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh I've never been sold on Fred Davis. And I had a good feeling about Jordan Reed since he was drafted. I would like to see both of them in two TEs sets before Davis leaves, circa The Patriots when they had both Hernandez & Gronkowski.
Better run better run faster than RG3.
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FosterTheSkins wrote:
Eh I've never been sold on Fred Davis. And I had a good feeling about Jordan Reed since he was drafted. I would like to see both of them in two TEs sets before Davis leaves, circa The Patriots when they had both Hernandez & Gronkowski.
I would also, but we've wants that since Cooley was healthy in 2010 and 2011.

Kyle and Mike don't seem to be able to figure out how to incorporate two pass catching tight ends into their offense at one time, which is discouraging, I wouldn't put too much faith in it.

I'd like to see Fred play Paulsen's position some and then we can use Jordan in Fred's position when we go two tight end. I doubt it happens though... Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
FosterTheSkins wrote:

Kyle and Mike don't seem to be able to figure out how to incorporate two pass catching tight ends into their offense at one time, which is discouraging, I wouldn't put too much faith in it.

I'd like to see Fred play Paulsen's position some and then we can use Jordan in Fred's position when we go two tight end. I doubt it happens though... Sad

That would be a good idea-I like that. All they need to do is study the Pats offense -two tight ends .
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I approve of the title of this thread.
Slateman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
FosterTheSkins wrote:

That would be a good idea-I like that. All they need to do is study the Pats offense -two tight ends .

The Patriots use both tight ends because, outside of Welker, they didn't have very good receivers. The Redskins receivers are better, especially the 2nd and slot receivers.
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THats true Slateman. The Redskins have a good WR core 1-5, but Kyle and Mike have to start getting the ball out of RG3's hands faster IMO on screens. Garçon, Moss and Robinson are good in the screen game with OL, TEs and Morgan or Hank blocking infront of them. I'd really like to see those called and even to Helu, like we saw week 1 last year vs the Saints. It loosened up their Defense, and then we were able to run, do play action and hit some deep passes.
MosEisley

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: DAVIS Reply with quote

Just messing with my fantasy line up and noticed that Fred is listed as questionable when nothing was wrong on thursday or friday . So he must of hurt himself overnight, getting a midnight snack?
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://nflspinzone.com/2013/09/21/fred-davis-now-listed-questionable-jordan-reeds-time/?utm_source=FanSided+Daily&utm_medium=email

Fred Davia is questionable for this Sunday's game vs. the Lions. He has a hurt ankle. He must have hurt the ankle in practice the past few days because he looked 100% vs the Packers and no injury was talked about after the game.

So if he's questionable, there's a good chance Jordan Reed starts. If Reed starts and has another 5 catch game with a TD, it could mean Davis drops to third on the depth chart.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8412/jordan-reed

Quote:
Redskins OC Kyle Shanahan suggested the team is still trying to figure out their tight end situation.

Fred Davis played 51 snaps in the opener before being limited to 16 last week. Jordan Reed played 29 snaps in Week 2, the most among Redskins tight ends, after playing 24 snaps in Week 1. "It’s something that will be week-to-week, game-to-game," Shanahan said. "As the game went on [last week], we felt we had a better chance with Jordan there in the second half." Reed has put himself on the TE2 radar, while Davis continues to fall down the rankings. Sep 20 - 10:12 AM

Source: Fredericksburg Free Lance-Star

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: