Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

AFC South best division for RBs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cole416

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: AFC South best division for RBs? Reply with quote

Colts: Trent Richardson
Jaguars: MJD
Titans: Chris Johnson
Texans: Arian and Tate

I think that seals the deal! This Colts game will be a whole lot more interesting this year. They will be testing our run defense like the last 2 teams we faced.

@ Colts - I say we now realistically have a Loss
vs Colts - Should be a nice game.

Both the Colts and Texans might be able to make the playoffs and Indy will give us a run for our money in the last few weeks. Good luck to them and us and go Texans!

Adopt a Texan:

Jadeveon Clowney:
1 GP
----
0 Sacks
1 Tackles
0 TFL
0 INT
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peterson, bush, forte and Lacy are pretty good too

Morris, Murray, McCoy aren't bad

McFadden, Moreno, Matthews and Charles all have potential

But I would say that yeah the arc south is the best
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as starters go? Definitely the AFC South is deep at RB. Comparing the AFC South RB's to the other divisions:

AFC East-

Ridley/Vereen
Miller
Spiller
Ivory

AFC North-

Green-Ellis/Benard
Bell/Redman
Rainey
Rice/Pierce

AFC South-

Richardson/Bradshaw
Foster/Tate
Jones-Drew
Chris Johnson

AFC West-

Moreno/Hillman/Ball
Mathews
McFadden
Charles

NFC East (2nd best RB group IMO)

Murray
McCoy
Wilson (IF he gets his act together)
Morris

NFC North- (3rd best only because Lacy isnt proven yet)

Lacy
Peterson
Bush
Forte

NFC South-

Jackson
Sproles/Thomas/Ingram
Martin
Williams

NFC West-

Mendenall
D. Richardson
Lynch
Gore

If I were to rank them

1. AFC South
2. NFC East
3. NFC North
4. AFC West
5. NFC South
6 NFC West
7. AFC East
8. AFC North

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
As far as starters go? Definitely the AFC South is deep at RB. Comparing the AFC South RB's to the other divisions:

AFC East-

Ridley/Vereen
Miller
Spiller
Ivory

AFC North-

Green-Ellis/Benard
Bell/Redman
Rainey
Rice/Pierce

AFC South-

Richardson/Bradshaw
Foster/Tate
Jones-Drew
Chris Johnson

AFC West-

Moreno/Hillman/Ball
Mathews
McFadden
Charles

NFC East (2nd best RB group IMO)

Murray
McCoy
Wilson (IF he gets his act together)
Morris

NFC North- (3rd best only because Lacy isnt proven yet)

Lacy
Peterson
Bush
Forte

NFC South-

Jackson
Sproles/Thomas/Ingram
Martin
Williams

NFC West-

Mendenall
D. Richardson
Lynch
Gore

If I were to rank them

1. AFC South
2. NFC East
3. NFC North
4. AFC West
5. NFC South
6 NFC West
7. AFC East
8. AFC North

i would say NFC North is ahead of NFC East. Lacy is unproven, but so far wilson is proven to be very bad...Petterson is tops in the NFL....Forte and Bush are threats both to run and catch, whereas Morris is just a running threat

on another note, someone suggested that the Browns might go after Ben Tate this off season
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three of the AFC South backups - Ben Tate, Ahmad Bradshaw and Shonn Green - could very well start for many NFL teams.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Three of the AFC South backups - Ben Tate, Ahmad Bradshaw and Shonn Green - could very well start for many NFL teams.

True. Another reason why the AFC South have the best RB collection as a whole. BTW, nice Watt sig.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:

Green and Bradshaw are back ups because they couldn't be starters
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:

Not really. Bradshaw is a pretty solid starter when healthy. Colts didn't really have to do the T-Rich trade, and Greene put up some decent numbers with the Jets his last 2 seasons there although he only averaged 3.9 yards per carry in his last season with the Jets.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:

Not really. Bradshaw is a pretty solid starter when healthy. Colts didn't really have to do the T-Rich trade, and Greene put up some decent numbers with the Jets his last 2 seasons there although he only averaged 3.9 yards per carry in his last season with the Jets.

Look at who the jets choose to keep over Greene
texans_uk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:

Look at who the jets choose to keep over Greene

Greene is awful, Bradshaw is semi-awful.

Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:

True. Another reason why the AFC South have the best RB collection as a whole. BTW, nice Watt sig.

It's funny, I view it quite differently. The way I see it, all three are ONLY effective as "change of pace" backs rather than lead backs. Shonn Green was a bruising straight ahead power back who was a beast in the 2009 postseason specifically because he only touched the ball 100 times in the regular season, opponents were gameplanning against the underrated Thomas Jones who racked up 350 touches, and he was going up against beaten down and smallish lines. In 2010 he's still effective but less so with LT taking on 275 touches and Green with 185. In 2010 they reverse roles with Green getting the 300 touches and hes just a generic runner running into a pile and getting his QB killed with poor protection skill. By 11 & 12 he's a below average runner racking up 60 yards a game on 15 token carries. Bradshaw was the same but opposite as he was effective when Jacobs was beating up linemen in the first half, then Bradshaw elusiveness could be effective, but once they started counting on him to be the lead back, he was always hurt and lost the burst that made him effective.

I know everyone thinks Tate will be some beast for someone else next year, but I think he'll just be just like all the failed Alabama backs that just don't work without the ying to their yang. Tate is perfectly cast in a change of pace role as he is a physical runner who can help wear down defenses when used early and take advantage of worn down defenses late. If you hand the ball to him 25 times a game over the course of the season, I highly doubt he'll stay healthy and he'll almost certainly lose the power and burst that makes his 10 carries actually effective. The way I see it, it makes sense for your lead back to occasionally avoid the extra hit and take the 6 yard gain and go out of bounds so he can be effective over the long haul, but it is important to have the punishing straight ahead back that is going to fight for every yard and use fresh legs to punish tacklers who would rather do an arm tackle or push a runner out of bounds.

"Committees" don't work as your lead back needs to get enough carries to develop that feel for where the holes are and take a few chances that may lead to a few carries with no gain, but also will develop that feel that helps him exploit holes for long gains. Clearly we saw the converse danger last year of overusing a single back as all those hits are going to wear down your back late in the season when theoretically the running game is most needed. Personally, I think the current Foster/Tate split works perfectly and Foster is just going to have to find his "zen" and be okay that a certain group of fans are going to point at Tate's ypc and think he's the better back. People forget how effective a very similar Derrick Ward was in Arian's breakout season, but Ward was totally ineffective when Tampa paid him a fortune to be a lead back.

I do think there are situations where switching roles may make some sense, like the Jets did with Green late in 09. The players and fans would hate it and coaches would be afraid to try it because it would be interpreted as "overlooking" an opponent, but I think an argument can made to even cycle in Cierre Wood during our soft November stretch Arizona, Oak, Jacks. I remember when Foster got benched for a half vs. Oak a few years ago, Ward killed it in the first half and Foster was fresh and on fire in the 2nd. The Texans have worn down the past two season's late, so I think they need to be proactive this year and take measures to cycle in some games where the bench players get some time. Of course, this will also require not having to win every game on the final play.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: