Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 3 GDT- Detroit Lions @ Washington Redskins
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who ya got?
Detroit Lions
40%
 40%  [ 8 ]
Washington Redskins
45%
 45%  [ 9 ]
NFL Referees
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 20

DTOW

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some of the reason we aren't seeing many of those deep outs and deep comebacks is due to our personnel. Burleson is old and slow and struggles to get separation. He still has the ability to be a possession receiver but he just isn't a good matchup with more athletic corners. Broyles is more of the typical slot guy that finds a way to get open but isn't overly athletic either. We could desperately use an athletic playmaker opposite CJ.

Sammy Watkins would be an ideal fit but the chances that we are at the spot necessary to draft him are slim to none.
Maverick12

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I was able to avoid any spoilers Sunday and as soon as I got back from Sandusky, watched the game via NFL Rewind. I seriously thought we we're going to blow it again, but Im glad I was wrong. Stafford, outside of that one INT, continues to prove that 2011 was the real deal(just wait to we get Bush back Very Happy ). Also, it's great to see Nate back healthy, what a game he had.

Oh yeah, Fauria is the best TE on this roster.

Defensive side, Suh continues to destory opposing double teams and is constantly getting pressure on the QB. Ziggy is looking better and better each week, in my opinion, and he needs to be the full time starter over Willie Young if he isn't already. I still would like to see the penalties cut in half or so, what the hell was Fairley thinking on his personal foul?

Of course, the worst part of this game was losing Jones for the season, very underrated pick up in my opinion.

Would like to write about the game a lot more, but I have class in 5 hours and need some sleep. Laughing

Talk to you guys tomorrow.

Sig credit: Smack

Team Stylish
stylish313

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 3 weeks, Ndamukong still leads all defensive linemen in QB hurries. It's too bad they haven't landed him any sacks yet. And he's making more of an impact against the run than he ever has since he's been in the NFL. Seems like both he and Gunn came to an agreement, and that's the realization that Suh can be even more dominant if he's allowed to do more than just pin back his ears and rush the QB.

I was hard on our defensive ends going into the season, but it appears after three games that they're a legit strength of this football team. Both Young and Ansah have been stellar up to this point. Keep it up Ezekiel and you'll earn DROY honors. Losing JJ is a blow but he wasn't playing as well as many here seem to think. I think Taylor will be able to replace him with little or no drop off.

Stafford had his most inaccurate game of the season. He missed CJ for a couple of scores and I think he was off target on that INT. But with that said, he limited his TOs to none after that early one and still managed the game well for almost 400 yards- I'll take that on an off day. Someone needs to do him a favor and keep his boy off the field. Seems he's trying hard to make Durham look good, and that's just not possible. Thank goodness Broyles should be receiving increased targets (3 this week) in the upcoming weeks.

Pettigrew only received 1 target against Washington, but still played 56 out of 67 snaps. Linehan's offenses have always targeted their TEs heavily. He and Stafford both must have completely lost faith in his ability to help move this offense. Scheffler and Furia combined for 33 snaps, after combining for merely 11 a week ago.

If Nate stays healthy, we may have our first 1k receiving tandem since the days of Moore and Perriman. He's tied for 5th in the league with 19 receptions, and he's 9th in the league with 239 yards.

DeAndre Levy has allowed the third most yards through the air amongst 4-3 OLBs with 139; and has the 5th worst average allowing 13.9 per reception. He'll need to keep making splash plays to hide the ugliness of his pass defense.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
we may have our first 1k receiving tandem since the days of Moore and Perriman.

2006 - Roy and Furrey.
stylish313

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
stylish313 wrote:

2006 - Roy and Furrey.
I had a bad feeling I was off when I was posting that.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
stylish313 wrote:

2006 - Roy and Furrey.
I had a bad feeling I was off when I was posting that.

All you had to do was add an operative word, I don't know something like......"legitimate" 1000yd receivers Laughing
WE-R-Lions

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
Our biggest weakness is our coaching staff, specifically Linehan. Our play calling on offense is pathetically predictable, boring, and redundant. There is no excuse for racking up the yards we do and not getting TDs.

I don't necessarily disagree about our play calling, but I will say this: fans seem to criticize the offensive play calling both ways. In this GDT alone, you hear Linehan criticized for being "too predictable" and, at the same time, questioned for plays that were unorthodox.

Here's what I'm sure of: if we execute more, the play calling wouldn't concern me.

What plays were unorthodox? I saw a ton of slants, a bunch of throwing it 3 yards on 3rd and 5+, no running attempts inside the red zone other than an inches to go play! and even then the run was predictable. Again, this has been an issue I have had for years. We run the same plays, don't utilize our weapons or put them in situations in which they can be successful. It's hard to execute when the play gives you one option and that option is covered. We also don't set things up, such as running slants all game and then faking the slant and going deep. They were jumping slants all day, take advantage of it.

I believe I remember Broyles and Bush stating "we have a plan"....My guess is the Lions are holding plays back and not putting them on tape.
If so....I'll bet we see a few more plays vs CHI that we haven't seen yet this year.
Jrugges

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good win for our Lions. Really needed it. Packers are 1-2, Vikings are 0-3, and well the Bears are, our big threat right now at this moment leading the division 3-0. We play Chicago at home next week, so hopefully we can squeak this game out at home. It'll be tough but if Lions want to be a legit playoff team they'll have to win a few tough games. Plus this is also at home which helps a bit more than if it were on the road. There aren't too many easy games coming up now. They'll have to roll through:

Chicago
Green Bay@
Cleveland@
Cincinnati
Dallas

All before our bye. After the bye the schedule gets a little better but I still think Lions will need to win at least 2 out of those 5 games to be in the playoff chase after the bye.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
Pettigrew only received 1 target against Washington, but still played 56 out of 67 snaps. Linehan's offenses have always targeted their TEs heavily. He and Stafford both must have completely lost faith in his ability to help move this offense. Scheffler and Furia combined for 33 snaps, after combining for merely 11 a week ago.

Out of curiosity: how frequently did he block and/or chip?

Team Stylish
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
Our biggest weakness is our coaching staff, specifically Linehan. Our play calling on offense is pathetically predictable, boring, and redundant. There is no excuse for racking up the yards we do and not getting TDs.

I don't necessarily disagree about our play calling, but I will say this: fans seem to criticize the offensive play calling both ways. In this GDT alone, you hear Linehan criticized for being "too predictable" and, at the same time, questioned for plays that were unorthodox.

Here's what I'm sure of: if we execute more, the play calling wouldn't concern me.

What plays were unorthodox? I saw a ton of slants, a bunch of throwing it 3 yards on 3rd and 5+, no running attempts inside the red zone other than an inches to go play! and even then the run was predictable. Again, this has been an issue I have had for years. We run the same plays, don't utilize our weapons or put them in situations in which they can be successful. It's hard to execute when the play gives you one option and that option is covered. We also don't set things up, such as running slants all game and then faking the slant and going deep. They were jumping slants all day, take advantage of it.

Off of the top of my head, there was the pitch to Riddick, then the fake pitch quick throw to Scheffler... plays that didn't have success, that we rarely run, and that fans criticized because they went away from "what works".

In addition, we ran 5 times on either 1st or 2nd down in the red zone. That being said, we had success on the majority of those plays, so I can't disagree: we should do it more.

With the talent on this team, I have a hard time criticizing the play calling when there are execution errors.

Team Stylish
Rockcity

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
After 3 weeks, Ndamukong still leads all defensive linemen in QB hurries. It's too bad they haven't landed him any sacks yet. And he's making more of an impact against the run than he ever has since he's been in the NFL. Seems like both he and Gunn came to an agreement, and that's the realization that Suh can be even more dominant if he's allowed to do more than just pin back his ears and rush the QB.

I was hard on our defensive ends going into the season, but it appears after three games that they're a legit strength of this football team. Both Young and Ansah have been stellar up to this point. Keep it up Ezekiel and you'll earn DROY honors. Losing JJ is a blow but he wasn't playing as well as many here seem to think. I think Taylor will be able to replace him with little or no drop off.

Stafford had his most inaccurate game of the season. He missed CJ for a couple of scores and I think he was off target on that INT. But with that said, he limited his TOs to none after that early one and still managed the game well for almost 400 yards- I'll take that on an off day. Someone needs to do him a favor and keep his boy off the field. Seems he's trying hard to make Durham look good, and that's just not possible. Thank goodness Broyles should be receiving increased targets (3 this week) in the upcoming weeks.

If Nate stays healthy, we may have our first 1k receiving tandem since the days of Moore and Perriman. He's tied for 5th in the league with 19 receptions, and he's 9th in the league with 239 yards.

DeAndre Levy has allowed the third most yards through the air amongst 4-3 OLBs with 139; and has the 5th worst average allowing 13.9 per reception. He'll need to keep making splash plays to hide the ugliness of his pass defense.
ya these qbs see suh or anyone thet chuck it....does intentional ground exist for the lions..ziggy should have more sacks than he does and its great our des actually defend the run

Its weird that you wrote what you did about taylor..people were saying that about young (no drop off) and you went off... funny thing is young looks better than avril.

My beef is with delmas.. he looks like a liability. He seems late to the play for to often and has whiff a ton. We need to find a saftey and another cb
andjordand

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Jrugges"]Good win for our Lions. Really needed it. Packers are 1-2, Vikings are 0-3, and well the Bears are, our big threat right now at this moment leading the division 3-0. We play Chicago at home next week, so hopefully we can squeak this game out at home. It'll be tough but if Lions want to be a legit playoff team they'll have to win a few tough games. Plus this is also at home which helps a bit more than if it were on the road. There aren't too many easy games coming up now. They'll have to roll through:

Chicago
Green Bay@
Cleveland@
Cincinnati
Dallas

All before our bye. After the bye the schedule gets a little better but I still think Lions will need to win at least 2 out of those 5 games to be in the playoff chase after the bye.[/quote]

I think they take Cleveland and 2 of 3 from Chicago/OCincinatti/Dallas at home. Each of those teams are not quite what I would call dominating, although we are fortunate to be playing them at home as opposed to on the road. Chicago looked dangerous the first half of the game last night -but came crashing back to earth hard in the second half and almost choked the game away in the fourth quarter.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the coordinator calls plays that are predictable, play to players' weaknesses, or play directly into the opposition's formation; then I expect the players to fail to execute. That is not on the players, that is being set upfor failure.
Rockcity

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
When the coordinator calls plays that are predictable, play to players' weaknesses, or play directly into the opposition's formation; then I expect the players to fail to execute. That is not on the players, that is being set upfor failure.
I agree
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:

I never expect players to fail to execute... I think that's a cop out. I expect my pass-catcher to run the correct route and make a play on the ball, regardless of the call or defense. (I also expect my elite WR to be able to beat Deangelo Hall on a slant route.)

It's like running it up the middle on 4th and 1. If that fails, I blame the players. Yeah, the defense knew it was coming, but a running game should be able to gain one yard, regardless.

(My greatest point of criticism with the coaching staff is their insistence in running speed backs between the tackles, but even then I understand it: they're trying to avoid being predictable.)

Team Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 28 of 30

Jump to: