Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Checking in with the Bears Free Agents
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
I don't get the hate for Major Wright. Do you folks realize that metrically he was very similar to Kam Chancellor last year? That he was far and away better than William Moore? Honestly, he's become the victim of the thought that all players on a team should be all pros or they should be replaced. Its stupid, there aren't 10 better SS in the NFL, hell there probably aren't 5 better SS in the NFL.

I don’t think anyone is saying that…the problem is the Safety position is one where very few guys stay consistent throughout their career…you could make an argument that Wright was a top 10 SS last year…but the list of top 10 guys you draw up from last year would look very different from the year before…or the year before that…because so many of these guys fall off…if we can get Wright back for around $4 million a year I would be cool with that…but if he thinks he is worth Eric Weddle money then he is mistaking…even if he is looking for William Moore money then we shouldn’t sign that deal.
This really wasn't directed at you, MM, but at the crowd on the "Major Wright Sucks and easily replaceable" bandwagon. Honestly the list of SS since Mike Brown was approaching the QB draught list on terms of laughability.

I don't think he sucks, I just don't think he's irreplaceable and think he has holes in his game. That's most NFL safeties.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@corryjoel: @evansilva @PFF The Bears will have an easy decision on Peppers' $18,183,333 cap number in '14 unless he picks up his play.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
@corryjoel: @evansilva @PFF The Bears will have an easy decision on Peppers' $18,183,333 cap number in '14 unless he picks up his play.

I think even if his play does pick up it’s still a pretty easy decision…it’s hard to justify that type of money for any position outside of QB...just wish there was some more DE talent in this year’s draft.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

I think even if his play does pick up it’s still a pretty easy decision…it’s hard to justify that type of money for any position outside of QB...just wish there was some more DE talent in this year’s draft.

You can't afford to pay JJ Watt 18 million a season and Peppers is not on Watts level anymore.

If we have the budget I would take a long look at Michael Johnson he has really flashed for me.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

You can't afford to pay JJ Watt 18 million a season and Peppers is not on Watts level anymore.

If we have the budget I would take a long look at Michael Johnson he has really flashed for me.

I think the bidding war for Johnson could get out of hand…every team wants more pass rush and if Johnson is pushing on for $10 million a season I think that is a little rich for us…the guy who interest me is Everson Griffin…still just 25 years old…the type of athlete Emery is wanting…and you weaken a divisional rival.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

I think the bidding war for Johnson could get out of hand…every team wants more pass rush and if Johnson is pushing on for $10 million a season I think that is a little rich for us…the guy who interest me is Everson Griffin…still just 25 years old…the type of athlete Emery is wanting…and you weaken a divisional rival.

Griffin I really like he also has shown the power to rush from all over the field.

I will be interested to see what type of budget we have when it comes to be to next season. Even if we cut Peppers and get 12 million back our number if pretty big, but we have some huge contracts to give out.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Griffin I really like he also has shown the power to rush from all over the field.

I will be interested to see what type of budget we have when it comes to be to next season. Even if we cut Peppers and get 12 million back our number if pretty big, but we have some huge contracts to give out.

We should have a ton of cap space for Cliff Stein to work with this offseason and if there is one guy who can make the most of it it will be Stein...even after resigning our key guys we should have cash to spend in FA...altho as Phil Emery has said that's not how we are going to build our team moving forward...he will us it only as a compliment to drafting our own guys and a guy like Griffin fits that thinking...I do however hope he makes an exception for Alex Mack.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

We should have a ton of cap space for Cliff Stein to work with this offseason and if there is one guy who can make the most of it it will be Stein...even after resigning our key guys we should have cash to spend in FA...altho as Phil Emery has said that's not how we are going to build our team moving forward...he will us it only as a compliment to drafting our own guys and a guy like Griffin fits that thinking...I do however hope he makes an exception for Alex Mack.

I don't think we want to spend big in 3 straight offseasons.

I can see that being a problem down the road with 3 years of adding big contracts to the roster.

I would like us to resign our guys and make 1-2 moves maybe at DE.

I am not sure how I feel about spending real money at C? Right now I am in the Taylor Boggs competing with a 3rd/4th round pick mode.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

I can see that being a problem down the road with 3 years of adding big contracts to the roster.

I am not sure how I feel about spending real money at C? Right now I am in the Taylor Boggs competing with a 3rd/4th round pick mode.

If we end up in that situation we are in trouble again…Boggs did well against 3rd & 4th stringers in FA but he certainly didn’t dominate those guys in a way that says he could be ready to start next year…we need to keep the talent level high instead of cutting corners like JA did up front...letting guys like Peppers and maybe one of the big name DB FAs we have like Wright or Jennings walk should allow us to spend around the same amount as last season.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

If we end up in that situation we are in trouble again…Boggs did well against 3rd & 4th stringers in FA but he certainly didn’t dominate those guys in a way that says he could be ready to start next year…we need to keep the talent level high instead of cutting corners like JA did up front...letting guys like Peppers and maybe one of the big name DB FAs we have like Wright or Jennings walk should allow us to spend around the same amount as last season.

Boggs being active on game days tells me that the coaching staff is not afraid to play him. With Slausons ability to play C you don't have to have Boggs active and they do.

C is just not a position I need to pay a guy 5-6 million to play. I think the position can be filled by a much cheaper player, especially because they would be playing between to monsters in Long and Slauson.

Give me Griffin over Mack every day.
KG1187

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a strictly football perspective Mack would be a great pick up and make the Bears offensive line elite. But in the salary cap era spending 5-6 million on Mack would be a luxury pick up.

The line is good enough to win right now and factor in a year’s growth for Long and Mills plus improved chemistry Mack is a luxury Chicago can’t afford. That 5-6 million needs to be spent on the defense/Cutler. Between Briggs, Jennings, Tillman, Peppers, and Melton at least two will be gone. Inking Mack would be a poor use of resources considering the defensive departures and Cutler’s payday.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KG1187 wrote:
From a strictly football perspective Mack would be a great pick up and make the Bears offensive line elite. But in the salary cap era spending 5-6 million on Mack would be a luxury pick up.

The line is good enough to win right now and factor in a year’s growth for Long and Mills plus improved chemistry Mack is a luxury Chicago can’t afford. That 5-6 million needs to be spent on the defense/Cutler. Between Briggs, Jennings, Tillman, Peppers, and Melton at least two will be gone. Inking Mack would be a poor use of resources considering the defensive departures and Cutler’s payday.

I don't think it'd be a luxury pickup at all. C is the most important position on the OL IMO, and especially with Mills/Long/Slauson costing very little investing heavily in a quality center is not only not a luxury but it's a great move IMO. Not investing in the OL is how we got where we were under Angelo. We have other needs for sure but that doesn't mean we shouldn't firm up areas on the offense too. Specifically with bringing in a guy like Mack you can put together a favorable cap structure to not really inhibit yourself from other moves too.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
DaMike

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Boggs being active on game days tells me that the coaching staff is not afraid to play him. With Slausons ability to play C you don't have to have Boggs active and they do.

C is just not a position I need to pay a guy 5-6 million to play. I think the position can be filled by a much cheaper player, especially because they would be playing between to monsters in Long and Slauson.

I agree. It would be a terrible idea to spend big money on a C. That's best served as a min contract position.
KG1187

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
KG1187 wrote:

I don't think it'd be a luxury pickup at all. C is the most important position on the OL IMO, and especially with Mills/Long/Slauson costing very little investing heavily in a quality center is not only not a luxury but it's a great move IMO. Not investing in the OL is how we got where we were under Angelo. We have other needs for sure but that doesn't mean we shouldn't firm up areas on the offense too. Specifically with bringing in a guy like Mack you can put together a favorable cap structure to not really inhibit yourself from other moves too.

But Emery has invested in the O-line with Bushrod, biggest free agent acquisition to date, Kyle Long a 1st round pick, Slauson who might be in for a pay bump at seasons end plus a pleasant surprise with the emergence of Mills. Bears don't need an All-Pro center just a professional competent one like Garza. Let Emery hit the free agent bargain bin like he did with Hayden, Anderson, and Slauson. Unlike JA Emery's pretty good with bargain bin deals. Or as Windy said bring in a mid round guy to compete with Boggs.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Boggs is active because he can play all 3 positions inside whereas James Brown can’t…

The centre position is the 2nd most important position on the Oline…I would happily pay $5-$6 million a year for a centre as good as Mack…you add Mack and you have a pivot man for the next 5-6 years who you know is going to play at an elite level…that not only gives us a player who can handle a quality DT one on one but it also allows you to do more with your guards when it comes to getting them to the 2nd level…which is where Long will really excel and where whoever we pick up along the way to be our long term LG…

I also don’t think it is a question of Mack or Griffin…I think with the amount of guys hitting FA and the saving we make from letting Peppers walk we can afford both…Griffin is a compliment…not an $8 or $9 million a season guy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: