Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Charles Johnson redoes contract
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faccda01

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
They'll do the same thing next year to reduce his hit (taking his $8.75M salary down to ~$1-2M), making his salary proratable. The next year he'd probably get cut as a June 1 cut, splitting the hit between two years. Or, he'll be extended. The cap hits shouldn't be all that bad. I'm not overly worried.

Agreed, that's what I meant by saying he won't be around much longer. I should have said I don't see him finishing that contract with us. But yeah, not a big concern, Gettleman is doing a fine job cleaning up Hurney's mess.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

89 06 MVP wrote:
Hardy yes but there no way that Cam should be offer a contract extension after it appear we going to miss the playoff for the third year with him being the qb.... If anything else I expect this team bring in or draft another qb for competition next off season.

LOL I guess the Bills loss was all Cams fault. And you would draft a QB for completion with all the holes in this team? With this train of thought it would be safe to assume that you had something to do with building the current team.
Cypher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panthers11 wrote:
Cypher wrote:
If things continue this way for the rest of the season and we extend Cam, our entire front office should be fired before the fax arrives at NFL HQ.

Ah, yes, the ultimate Cam hater has arrived once again.

Ah, yes, the ultimate Cam apologizer has arrived once again. Give me one good reason to extend Cam now that has nothing to do with bulk stats - unless you think Jerry Jones was brilliant for extending Romo.

NS922 wrote:
All on LOLton for page stretching to Green Idk what happened my phone graduated to ROFLtron
iknowcool

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newton played just about the same as Brady did vs. Buffalo and that isn't just going off numbers - Brady legitimately had his struggles against the Bills.

Newton isn't deserving of some big time extension nor do I think that is what is going through any of the minds in our front office, but ignoring the idea of extending him at all would be very idiotic on our part. The fact of the matter is Newton, while he has his issues, is handcuffed in an offense that truly doesn't have that much talent. We go stretches where we don't bother to establish a rushing game. Newton dropped back to pass (including stats; not including scrambles as it was difficult to know which was a designed run or scramble based off looking) 29 times in the first half. 29 times. Behind an offensive line that was getting abused all day long, WRs who couldn't separate at all (sans Ginn, who Newton did miss a few times; LaFell is terrible, and what gets missed in this is we win the Buffalo game if LaFell doesn't drop what should have been a TD catch near the end of the game on our second to lass possession (which was a Hail Mary)), and no threat at all of a running game. Not to mention we lined up in shotgun every play - it is why Newton's performance in the second half trumped what we saw in the first.

Look, I am not here to tell you Newton doesn't have issues, is a great quarterback, and is without his flaws. I will be the first to admit he does. I even brought up the idea of taking a quarterback in the second round next year if we were somehow picking in the top 5 or so this year - I am a big fan of this upcoming QB class. But there is certainly a reason to make it a priority to extend Newton depending on the price range. For big bucks? Definitely not but if it is a reasonable deal? Neglecting to extend him would be what is worthy of our front office to be fired.

Personally, I think Newton is just fine in the right offense. People for some reason criticized him in Week 1 for not taking shots down the field and I really didn't see the issue. We saw what happened when San Francisco tried to be aggressive against the best secondary there has been since probably the early 00s Dolphins. It was a conservative gameplan where we established the run game and because of it, Newton wasn't pressured too much (not as much as we was against Buffalo, anyway), was fairly decisive, and quite accurate outside of one throw to LaFell. And like LaFell's dropped TD vs. Buffalo had an impact, how much would Olsen having caught what was a stupendous pass from Newton have changed the game? We would have been close or in the redzone and the potential to go up by 2 scores or a touchdown (which has an impact later in the game as we would have on the final drive been down 2 points, not 5, thus needing only a field goal to win it and we were in field goal range before the fumble run).

Long story short, what is the problem with extending Newton? I only see the issue if it is for a lot of money. But a short term extension that is reasonable and relatively inexpensive? I don't see the problem.
Cypher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first sack was actually on Newton tbh. My All-22 is bugging out so i'm having issues watching some of the game, but Bell held Williams for a good 4 seconds, and Cam had Olsen wide open coming across the field. He ran around for a while instead and eventually went down for a loss. Not saying the oline was good by any means, but it wasn't entirely on them, either.

As far as Cam getting a reasonable extension, sure. But with the way QB contracts are being inflated (Romo), I highly doubt that would be the case.

NS922 wrote:
All on LOLton for page stretching to Green Idk what happened my phone graduated to ROFLtron
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its actually funny if you think about it; if we do sign Cam to a 5/6 year extension, the numbers will probably be pretty similar to what we would've had to pay him after drafting him, had there not been a rookie wage scale implemented.
faccda01

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
Its actually funny if you think about it; if we do sign Cam to a 5/6 year extension, the numbers will probably be pretty similar to what we would've had to pay him after drafting him, had there not been a rookie wage scale implemented.

See: Bradford, Sam. We lucked out by sucking after the wage scale was implimented.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The story that was mentioned somewhere on the boards in the past 2-3 months about Cam not trusting his receivers might be true.

Outside of Smitty, Olsen, and Ginn; who else has seen a ton of looks?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
The story that was mentioned somewhere on the boards in the past 2-3 months about Cam not trusting his receivers might be true.

Outside of Smitty, Olsen, and Ginn; who else has seen a ton of looks?

I posted that. Ricky Proehl was the one who passed that story along.

NS922 wrote:
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaFell of course is the next most targeted, but Cam (all the way back to his rookie year) has seemed to have a lot more trouble connecting with him. Lot more throws that are high/low/off the mark compared to Smith/Olsen.
Cypher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
LaFell of course is the next most targeted, but Cam (all the way back to his rookie year) has seemed to have a lot more trouble connecting with him. Lot more throws that are high/low/off the mark compared to Smith/Olsen.

I honestly think that has everything to do with timing. Cam just doesn't seem capable of throwing guys open or throwing timing routes consistently at all. Not to mention we constantly have LaFell running deep developing routes which never made sense to me. He's dangerous within 15, and he had more YAC than Smith last year despite 30~ fewer receptions.

NS922 wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: