Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Offensive Line

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Golden_Knight5


Joined: 21 Mar 2008
Posts: 188
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Offensive Line Reply with quote

The good news is that Saffold only has a sprained MCL and is considered week to week. Wearing that knee brace probably saved his season. That being said moving forward I am a little bit weary of the future of this line. We are old at the center position, right guard position and Saffold has his injury issues as well as is a UFA in the offseason. Backup guards Chris Williams and Shelley Smith are both free agents this offseason as well. Wells and Dahl are among the oldest trio on our team(with Witherspoon). The only rock solid position we have is LT with Long being only 28, which is huge so I wont downplay that. He is the rock of the line and a franchise LT, and if he stays healthy will anchor it for the next five years. I think we need to pick up one of these top tackles with the top 16 pick we are receiving from the redskins, and maybe a center in round 2 or 3. This next draft should be offensive line focused in my honest opinion, with addressing a safety or OLB in the later rounds.

I'm curious to hear what you guys think on the future of the line...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yrba1


Joined: 25 Jan 2011
Posts: 1348
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrett Jones should take reigns at center once he gets into NFL shape. If we can snatch a Top 10 draft pick from the Skins, we should consider getting Jake Matthews at RT. As for guards, we ought to find another one in the day 3 of the draft (hopefully one that will stay in shape)
_________________
♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
catcheryea


Joined: 17 Apr 2013
Posts: 2644
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said this many times, but our first three picks next year should be T, FS, and G unless a really good player falls into our lap. If we get a top 5 pick from Washington and can land one of the big 3 tackles, preferably Jake Matthews that would be great. If Haha is on the board with our second pick, he's the guy imo. If we end up with two mid round picks then Tiny Richardson and Haha would be cool with me. If Haha is gone and CJ Mosley is still available I'd love him, but if neither is on the board, then it's guard.

Basically my draft board looks like this

1a. T
1b. Haha/Mosley/G
2. G/OLB/FS
_________________
WDE

Jaboo2Rams

I am the Cinnabon of posters.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Golden_Knight5


Joined: 21 Mar 2008
Posts: 188
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catcheryea wrote:
I've said this many times, but our first three picks next year should be T, FS, and G unless a really good player falls into our lap. If we get a top 5 pick from Washington and can land one of the big 3 tackles, preferably Jake Matthews that would be great. If Haha is on the board with our second pick, he's the guy imo. If we end up with two mid round picks then Tiny Richardson and Haha would be cool with me. If Haha is gone and CJ Mosley is still available I'd love him, but if neither is on the board, then it's guard.

Basically my draft board looks like this

1a. T
1b. Haha/Mosley/G
2. G/OLB/FS



I really like that outlay (T,S,G) that fits a majority of team needs with high draft selections which is prime.

That being said, I feel like the "really" good player that you are referring to, or maybe all rams fans are secretly hoping for is Mike Evans, WR out of A&M. As an underclassman, he is probably the best receiver in the country. 6'5 4.5 40 yard dash, he is a freak and as close to Calvin Johnson(size-wise) as you will come in my opinion. He is already projecting as a top 12 pick on most sites, predominantly walterfootball IF HE declares. 280 yards against Alabama, I love big wide receivers at the 1, you have to have one. AJ Green, Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Vincent Jackson(eh?), Brandon Marshall are all the top receivers in the NFL and are big and physical. At 6'5 225lbs and fast I think Evans is the next one in line. ALL THAT BEING SAID, if he were to declare, I would love to draft him with the higher pick, 1A, and take tackle with the 1B pick. Then we could take the better player available between Safety and Guard with the second and/or third picks. Dream scenario, maybe a pipe dream but that is my outlook.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
catcheryea


Joined: 17 Apr 2013
Posts: 2644
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golden_Knight5 wrote:
catcheryea wrote:
I've said this many times, but our first three picks next year should be T, FS, and G unless a really good player falls into our lap. If we get a top 5 pick from Washington and can land one of the big 3 tackles, preferably Jake Matthews that would be great. If Haha is on the board with our second pick, he's the guy imo. If we end up with two mid round picks then Tiny Richardson and Haha would be cool with me. If Haha is gone and CJ Mosley is still available I'd love him, but if neither is on the board, then it's guard.

Basically my draft board looks like this

1a. T
1b. Haha/Mosley/G
2. G/OLB/FS



I really like that outlay (T,S,G) that fits a majority of team needs with high draft selections which is prime.

That being said, I feel like the "really" good player that you are referring to, or maybe all rams fans are secretly hoping for is Mike Evans, WR out of A&M. As an underclassman, he is probably the best receiver in the country. 6'5 4.5 40 yard dash, he is a freak and as close to Calvin Johnson(size-wise) as you will come in my opinion. He is already projecting as a top 12 pick on most sites, predominantly walterfootball IF HE declares. 280 yards against Alabama, I love big wide receivers at the 1, you have to have one. AJ Green, Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Vincent Jackson(eh?), Brandon Marshall are all the top receivers in the NFL and are big and physical. At 6'5 225lbs and fast I think Evans is the next one in line. ALL THAT BEING SAID, if he were to declare, I would love to draft him with the higher pick, 1A, and take tackle with the 1B pick. Then we could take the better player available between Safety and Guard with the second and/or third picks. Dream scenario, maybe a pipe dream but that is my outlook.


The problem with Evans is that we already have big WR in Quick, and I don't think Fish/Snead will give up on him this soon, nor should they. I really believe next year will be the year he breaks out. If he doesn't and he continues to struggle, then I'm all for moving on, and who knows, Evans might not come out until 2015 (although I think our top priority in 2015 has to be RB).

I was more referring to a position like 3-tech DT or OLB as both would be luxury picks (LB somewhat less so since Dunbar's release, but it's not in a situation like FS or LG). I mentioned Mosley earlier because he's my man crush this year, but if Dominique Easley keeps playing like he has so far, and he slips to our first pick, with the 3 top Ts all gone, I would love him. He's looking like exactly what our line needs. Then I would be cool going DT and FS in the 1st, T in the 2nd (it's looking like a fairly deep class), then G in the 3rd and living with our OLB situation for a year.
_________________
WDE

Jaboo2Rams

I am the Cinnabon of posters.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StLunatic88


Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 7717
Location: How good is your Good?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its quite obvious that Saffold wont be a Ram in 2014, and it really has nothing to do with his health. He wants a chance to be a LT, we arent going to give him that, we dont need to be spending money on a RT, and he is going to try and get paid.

I also think its clear that Chris Williams is a stop gap or it wouldnt have been a one year contract for him. Dahl is probably on his last legs and his money on the books is non-guaranteed while we will need to create some wiggle room.

Also as Barett Jones continues to heal and acclimates to the offense we could see more of him. Is he the guy who will takeover Wells spot? Not necessarily, but he can be a good NFL Center, and could very soon see some time at Guard if we dont get better play there or these injuries continue.

The main issue is finding another RT in this draft since you need 2 good ones in todays NFL
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StLunatic88


Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 7717
Location: How good is your Good?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thought my be hard to pull of now that he is Week-to-Week, but what would you guys say if the Broncos came calling for Rodger Saffold now that Ryan Clady is down for the season?

If it came at about week 5 or 6, after Rodger is healed up a bit and Winston Justice is clearly not the answer for a Super Bowl contender, I would honestly be fine with Trading Saffold away. And I could be persuaded to be fine with only getting a 4th rounder back for him.

What say you?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NVRamsFan


Joined: 22 Mar 2009
Posts: 2842
Location: Reno, NV
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
This thought my be hard to pull of now that he is Week-to-Week, but what would you guys say if the Broncos came calling for Rodger Saffold now that Ryan Clady is down for the season?

If it came at about week 5 or 6, after Rodger is healed up a bit and Winston Justice is clearly not the answer for a Super Bowl contender, I would honestly be fine with Trading Saffold away. And I could be persuaded to be fine with only getting a 4th rounder back for him.

What say you?


At this point get what we can for him. As you and others of us have said it's hard to see him in STL next year for many reasons.
_________________
http://s2.postimg.org/cawzxigmh/tremason2sig.jpg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrry32


Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 47601
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
This thought my be hard to pull of now that he is Week-to-Week, but what would you guys say if the Broncos came calling for Rodger Saffold now that Ryan Clady is down for the season?

If it came at about week 5 or 6, after Rodger is healed up a bit and Winston Justice is clearly not the answer for a Super Bowl contender, I would honestly be fine with Trading Saffold away. And I could be persuaded to be fine with only getting a 4th rounder back for him.

What say you?


Bye bye Glassold.
_________________
The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yrba1


Joined: 25 Jan 2011
Posts: 1348
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting a pick out of Saffold let alone a midrounder is a definite yes in my book. With signs pointing he'll be an FA this offseason, we should at least compensate for whoever's willing to make the trade, especially when Barksdale's play was hardly a dropoff from Saffold's.
_________________
♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
STLRamsFan99


Joined: 17 Aug 2012
Posts: 1349
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if I would make the trade for a 4th round pick. I think if he can stay healthy he is worth more to the team than for the rest of the year than a 4th. That is a big if though. Barksdale filled in well enough his first game and last year, but lets see how he does playing for a few games and being incorporated into defenses' game-plans. If he does well enough, i am on board with trading Saffold, just not quite yet.

Either way I think RT will be addressed this off-season in some manner.

As far as long term goes, I am unsure of their plans at OG. Should they bring Williams back for continuities sake? Dahl is starting to get old too. A rookie at RG and RT could spell protection problems until they adjust to the NFL if they decide to just use the draft. Shelley Smith filled in at RG last year when Dahl got hurt late in the season. They may want him to compete for the starting RG after this season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FRO


Joined: 02 Feb 2013
Posts: 1155
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sign me up for Walterfootball's mock for us. Lewan, Clinton-Dix, Richardson. Lewan plays RT and can move to LT once Long leaves. Clinton-Dix teams up with McDonald to give us a potent safety group. Richardson replaces Dahl giving us a line of Long Williams Jones Richardson Lewan.

I would also go after a RB on a one year deal like McFadden or MJD , if they are willing to take a short offer. I would punt til the 2015 RB class and go all in on Gurley.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
catcheryea


Joined: 17 Apr 2013
Posts: 2644
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FRO wrote:
Sign me up for Walterfootball's mock for us. Lewan, Clinton-Dix, Richardson. Lewan plays RT and can move to LT once Long leaves. Clinton-Dix teams up with McDonald to give us a potent safety group. Richardson replaces Dahl giving us a line of Long Williams Jones Richardson Lewan.

I would also go after a RB on a one year deal like McFadden or MJD , if they are willing to take a short offer. I would punt til the 2015 RB class and go all in on Gurley.


I like you. I never considered signing one of those guys to a one year deal, but I like it. I don't what our cap will look like, or if they will want to do it, but if none of our guys now cut it, I think Snead might consider it.
_________________
WDE

Jaboo2Rams

I am the Cinnabon of posters.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group