Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Kenny Britt
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the Ravens make a move for Britt?
Yes!
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
No!
45%
 45%  [ 5 ]
I think they should, but they probably won't.
45%
 45%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 11

SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Kenny Britt Reply with quote

What do you guys think about possibly trading for or signing Kenny Britt next season, assuming he's not returning to the Titans?

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
sp6488

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I would definitely be on board if they traded a late round pick for him now as a rental, they probably won't. I think the FO and coaches may not want to bring a personality like him in, especially midseason when he hasn't been through TC with the guys already on the roster. Could potentially delay the development of guys like Marlon Brown as well. Like I said, I would like it, but I'd understand why they wouldn't (went with option 3).

One thing I want to make clear is that this would have to be for a later round pick (possibly conditional) and definitely not for Osemele or Smith as you posted in the NFL General thread. We would essentially be weakening a position to roll the dice at another. Plus, those guys have more years under contract following this one on cheap rookie deals.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much of a gamble for my tastes when you factor in the health concerns, off-field crap, and money he's going to want. I don't think the Ravens go anywhere near him either. It would be a really out of character move for the front office.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
While I would definitely be on board if they traded a late round pick for him now as a rental, they probably won't. I think the FO and coaches may not want to bring a personality like him in, especially midseason when he hasn't been through TC with the guys already on the roster. Could potentially delay the development of guys like Marlon Brown as well. Like I said, I would like it, but I'd understand why they wouldn't (went with option 3).

One thing I want to make clear is that this would have to be for a later round pick (possibly conditional) and definitely not for Osemele or Smith as you posted in the NFL General thread. We would essentially be weakening a position to roll the dice at another. Plus, those guys have more years under contract following this one on cheap rookie deals.

What about signing him off of FA next offseason?

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
sp6488

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Too much of a gamble for my tastes when you factor in the health concerns, off-field crap, and money he's going to want. I don't think the Ravens go anywhere near him either. It would be a really out of character move for the front office.

This is why I could see it as a midseason deal to get another body with some talent on the roster (probably drop Doss?). No way we sign him as a FA IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
sp6488 wrote:

What about signing him off of FA next offseason?

Probably too expensive considering we'll be looking to lock up Torrey long-term. I would think the Ravens will do the following to address the receiver position next offseason:

A) lock up TS
B) evaluate what they currently have on the roster (M. Brown - is he worth keeping?)
C) draft a guy in rounds 1 - 4
D) sign a vet who is not at the top of the FA market, maybe a salary cap casualty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:

This is why I could see it as a midseason deal to get another body with some talent on the roster (probably drop Doss?). No way we sign him as a FA IMO.

Yeah I could definitely see the Ravens making a trade for a receiver if Brown isn't looking as good as he does now and neither Stokley or Jones (when he gets back) steps up but just not for a guy like Britt.
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind giving up a 6th or 7th round pick for him as a rental because it's low risk and I do think this offense needs some sort of jolt in the arm right now, but a.) I don't think he's the kind of personality Harbs/Ozzie are interested in and b.) even if we did bring him in, it's hard to know how a wide receiver would fare being traded midseason and learning a new playbook/system and getting used to a new quarterback without the benefit of a training camp to play catch up.

I'd actually be interested to see the data on what kind of success we've seen historically with wide receivers after being traded during the season. I'd imagine it's a small sample size to begin with so it would be hard to come up with anything concrete but I don't imagine there's many success stories here.

So from my perspective maybe it's worth kicking the tires on, but I don't think it's a move the Ravens would make and it's not a slam dunk move even if we do make it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with others -- I wouldn't mind a late round pick for a rental, but I doubt it'd be more than that. He's just a bad character guy all around, so no way would I want to give him any sort of long-term deal.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure some of you will remember my affinity towards Kenny Britt the year we moved up for Oher. I thought he was the best receiver in that draft... I still think when healthy and focused, he's proven to be just that.

However, I'm completely against any deal to acquire him now. There's simply no gain. Option a would call on us to trade for him. Only a low pick with low risk, certainly, but he's not going to be comfortable with the offense for probably a solid 8 games time (2 mos). Even two highly professional and dedicated pros in Stokley and Clark have taken weeks to get as uncomfortably acclimated as they've shown in game action.

So I doubt Britt's likely productive ability. Then he has his attitude/character concerns. We're already dealing with a new/developing locker room. The last thing we need are the wrong kinds of influencers.

And lastly, this year is an important one for our team IMO. While I would love to repeat, I think it more likely we don't due to lacking team experience. But I think this year is more important in analyzing the strengths of some of our biggest weaknesses by seeing how our homegrown talent has proven to respond. See exactly how high we should be looking to invest in a receiver via the draft. Be it the first or the fourth round.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. I'd rather see Marlon Brown continue to start, and build on what he's done in the first two games. And I'd rather see what Deonte Thompson can do when he gets back.

Kenny Britt is absolutely not good enough for me to want to see him come in and leapfrog those guys.

Now, if the Ravens wanted to trade for a TE equivalent to Britt, I'd be far more interested.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:

And lastly, this year is an important one for our team IMO. While I would love to repeat, I think it more likely we don't due to lacking team experience. But I think this year is more important in analyzing the strengths of some of our biggest weaknesses by seeing how our homegrown talent has proven to respond. See exactly how high we should be looking to invest in a receiver via the draft. Be it the first or the fourth round.

I think this is a bit of an overreaction. Our defense needs to gel but I don't think it's going to take an entire year to do so. I have no idea who is going to win the AFC if its not us. Denver? Not unless its unseasonably warm in January. Chiefs and Texans? We'd suffocate those offenses in a playoff game. Andy Dalton? Don't make me laugh. Possibly the Patriots if Gronk and Amendola are healthy in the playoffs but I don't see them being able to get pressure on Joe and not getting shredded.

And Marlon Brown is nice but what does he do really? He gets open occasionally and catches a well thrown short to intermediate ball. He's not gonna stretch the field. He's not going to make any spectacular catches. He isn't going to look like a RB with the ball in his hands. He's a role player and that's probably where he will top out.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
I'm sure some of you will remember my affinity towards Kenny Britt the year we moved up for Oher. I thought he was the best receiver in that draft... I still think when healthy and focused, he's proven to be just that.

However, I'm completely against any deal to acquire him now. There's simply no gain. Option a would call on us to trade for him. Only a low pick with low risk, certainly, but he's not going to be comfortable with the offense for probably a solid 8 games time (2 mos). Even two highly professional and dedicated pros in Stokley and Clark have taken weeks to get as uncomfortably acclimated as they've shown in game action.

So I doubt Britt's likely productive ability. Then he has his attitude/character concerns. We're already dealing with a new/developing locker room. The last thing we need are the wrong kinds of influencers.

Ahh... the Britt vs. Nicks year. I believe we were the bandwagon leaders for each player.
RavensfanRD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:

Ahh... the Britt vs. Nicks year. I believe we were the bandwagon leaders for each player.

Hakeem Nicks won then. And he won now.

But I wouldn't mind us taking a stab at him. We gotta protect The Mighty Joe Flacco

Ray Lewis wrote:
This it! This it, man! This is it! We goin' for a ring man!

Wise Old Man wrote:
Joe Flacco doesn't believe in miracles; miracles believe in Joe Flacco
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:

Indeed.

Though I think you had plenty of company with Nicks. I don't remember many here that were high on Britt. Especially after Raven5255 or maybe it was NJRaven, that mentioned having spoken to coaches (or fellow students?) that said Britt was a diva and pretty stupid in class. I don't remember the details, but I just remember by the end, I was one of the few still on the Britt bandwagon. Really loved his physicality and his ability to produce with a horrible QB.

And at the time, it was before Torrey Smith, so I was definitely willing to forego Britt's character concerns for what I thought was guaranteed production. Thought maybe our strong locker room could handle his character and he'd be an eventual top 5-10 WR.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: