Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Thoughts on the 13' Buffalo Bills after Week 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beast M0de

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on the 13' Buffalo Bills after Week 2 Reply with quote

Positive thoughts

Arrow Kiko Alonso is the real deal. I've heard all offseason that the Bills are high on him but I was somewhat skeptical but he's proved me wrong. He flies all over the field and is a true playmaker. 19 tackles, 1 sack, 1 FF, 1 FR, 1 INT, 1 PD, 1 STF. Those number are crazy good and can't wait to watch him all season. He seems like the front runner right now for Defensive Rookie of the Year and has exceeded my expectations.

Arrow EJ Manuel has the "it" factor everyone talks about and we finally found our next franchise QB. Week 1 he looked poised and confident with a limited playbook; no sacks or turnovers either. Yesterday we saw much more intermediate throws and a bigger playbook. I live in Chicago and road tripped out for the game and I've never experienced something like that as a Bills fan. The excitement between Bills fans is at a high right now for our future. I think he's the front runner as well for OROTY. I'm not sure but has any team ever had both the OROTY and DROTY? EJ Manuel has the 10th best QB rating in the NFL and already a 4th quarter come from behind TD. He also has the 6th best passer rating for a rookie QB after 2 games since 1960.

Arrow Our coaching staff is the big difference from last year. The Bills have been viewed at as losers but Marrone changed the philosophy in the locker room and has the Bills believing we expect to win every game. I've been a huge fan of Hackett and the excitement he brings to the game; in terms of play calls and personality. And finally, Mike Pettine. He has this defense looking like a top 5-7 D. We've looked good against two elite QBs in Brady & Cam even our two best secondary players (Jairus Byrd and Stephon Gilmore). Our blitz heavy scheme looks to be paying off as we are getting consistent pressure and turnovers.

Arrow Our secondary is stepping up big time without Jairus Byrd, Gilmore & Ron Brooks. Aaron Williams looks great at S and has played better than I ever thought he would. Searcy and McKelvin have also been really solid while filling in for Byrd/Gilmore. Sky is the limit for this defense when we get back arguably the best FS in the NFL and a true #1 CB.

Arrow Stevie Johnson is going to have the best year of his career so far. He's been stuck with losers at QB who have very limited arm talent (Fitzpatrick/Edwards) and finally has a QB that will consistently hit him on target. He has had a TD in both games this year and if Manuel keeps progressing and opens the playbook up even more, Johnson should top 70 receptions, 1100 yards and 10 TDs. Time will tell.

Negative thoughts

Arrow We need to figure out a way to stop committing all of these penalties. They are killing us in critical times and can easily be avoided. The penalties have been stalling our drives and also giving up easy yards on defense. The Bills are a very young and inexperienced team that hopefully can stop having these growing pains/penalities.

Arrow The use of CJ Spiller. Although Gailey underutilized Spiller hugely last year, I believe he knew how to better maximize Spiller's talent and get him into open space. Nifty screens and outside runs allowed Spiller to be in open space where he can really make defenses look bad. He still had 100+ yards this week but I expect that from him. It's a small sample size so far but we need to get him into open space better.

Arrow Alex Carrington, Jerry Hughes, Nigel Bradham. None have looked awful but not performing quite as I thought they would. Carrington was said to be the MVP of training camp but has looked just as an average NFL starter would. Hughes was a low risk/high reward pass rusher who had a couple sacks in the preseason but haven't seen much pressure from him through 2 weeks. And I just haven't seen Bradham on the field as much which is strange. I thought he'd be out there alot more than he is.

Do you guys agree/disagree with these and what are your guys' thoughts so far on the Bills?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't call Newton elite, and our secondary has preformed a lot better than I thought, Justin Rogers is AWFUL! He is worse then Aaron Williams was last year at CB. We just have to hope Gilmore gets healthy quickly, because QBs will be picking on Rogers a lot.

As for Carrington and Hughes. They are both playing decent, I wouldn't call their play negative though. Hughes is playing a lot of coverage as an OLB.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pleasantly surprised with our offense. Our OLine has been good at giving Manuel time and creating some space for Spiller and Jackson, Manuel I believe has the making of a franchise QB and we should be set at WR for a long time. Like the OP stated I would also like to see more Spiller in the passing games using screens and swings outside the box.

Defensively our DLine has been good at creating presure and admirable against the run, and Kiko and Lawson have been good at LB. Leodis McKelvin is proving most of us wrong and has been very good, while Aaron Williams has found a home at SS.

Overall we are a team on the rise that will only get better w/ experience, and a 8-8 season isn't out of the realm of possibility
DKTurtle51

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 games into the season I see a good, aggressive defense that can generate consistent pressure and a wildly inconsistent offense that probably stems from starting a rookie under center.

^^^NickChowaniec^^^
Nucealius

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillsGuy82 wrote:
I am pleasantly surprised with our offense. Our OLine has been good at giving Manuel time and creating some space for Spiller and Jackson, Manuel I believe has the making of a franchise QB and we should be set at WR for a long time. Like the OP stated I would also like to see more Spiller in the passing games using screens and swings outside the box.

Defensively our DLine has been good at creating presure and admirable against the run, and Kiko and Lawson have been good at LB. Leodis McKelvin is proving most of us wrong and has been very good, while Aaron Williams has found a home at SS.

Overall we are a team on the rise that will only get better w/ experience, and a 8-8 season isn't out of the realm of possibility

Yeah, would really like to see Spiller in open space: he really excels there.

Thanks to NickChowaniec for the sig.

NFL- Buffalo Bills
College- Tennessee Vols
LeeEvans

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nucealius wrote:
BillsGuy82 wrote:

I don't understand why we seem to have taken screens completely out of the playbook, it was probably our most effective set of plays last season.

The night is dark and full of terrors.
Maxmw22

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeEvans wrote:
Nucealius wrote:
BillsGuy82 wrote:

I don't understand why we seem to have taken screens completely out of the playbook, it was probably our most effective set of plays last season.

I am thinking EJ needs to work on his downfield accuracy. The more he can efficiently go down field, push the safeties and CB's back, the more CJ can get room on screens to do what he does best.

Adopt-A-Bills:
RB C.J. Spiller - 927 yds, 4.6 ypc, 33 rec, 185 yds, 2 TD
DE/OLB Jerry Hughes - 46 tckls, 10 SCK, 2 FF
driftwood

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as an FSU fan (& a rooter of the bills during the early 90's hoping they would beats the cowboys in the Superbowl at least once)... i am really happy to see EJ doing good things this early for the bills

one thing i want to know (& i know its still early) is what do many of you (& i know there were many since i stalked this sub-forum immediately after the EJ pick in April) feel about EJ now after some really solid showings?

are you comfortable with the type of QB he can be for your team?

IMO the Bills have there franchise QB set for years now (more than i could say about ponder who i thought would just be a game manager ala Dilfer)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: