Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Team Needs - Week 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Team Needs - Week 2 Reply with quote

It's a quick turnaround this week, so time to get this one in for this week.

Based on this game by itself, and totally disregarding any context (i.e. injuries, past history, etc.), which are you biggest positions of need, 5 if you can name them.

Mine:
1. Interior Line protection. Some times it was when Albert was out, but that was short period of time, so it mostly seemed to be coming from the middle. Regardless, in general Alex was running for his life more than I'd like to see, and it really seemed to cause him to get frazzled and off target on crucial throws that could have sealed the game sooner.

2. TE. Fasano actually caught a ball or two this game, and McGrath did too, but the lack of a real TE who can get separation consistently is hurting us, and that's magnified given how much Alex likes to target the middle of the field. I also don't see a lot of good TE blocking happening, and might just be a small reason why JC has looked more mortal so far this season.

3. CB. In regards to Flowers' struggles, I see it like this, there are only a small handfull of guys who can legit handle the top 10 WR's in the league, especially when you consider the rules favoring the WR. Outside of a Revis or Scrabble for about 2-3 seasons each, and now maybe Sherman, there aren't many CB's who can handle these top WR's, only hope to slow them down. Therefore, this is a #3 need for me this week.

4. ST's blocking. Two blocked punts in two weeks is not a good sign. We also have had meh blocking on our kick returns. So far disappointing given the hype of pre-season. Dave Toub is the new Bobby Sippio. J/K

5. Back-up RB. With JC dinged up and only half practicing, I think we would have liked to have had a solid #2 to turn to. We tried Gray a few plays again this week, despite being listed as #3 RB (more depth chart hijinks... I thought that guy got fired last year), but not much came of it.

^ryknowssd on the sig
Da_Zou13

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see it like this

1. Interior Oline
2. WR
3. TE
4. CB
5. Pass rusher

Props to LOTO on the sig.
starbarkc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oline:
Too much penetration giving Alex the happy feet. I feel like he had that a little bit in game one as well. He must have been told to run if he sees the chance, but I don't think we should be taking so many chances with his durability issues. Two weeks in a row Albert got up slow after a play and Fisher is still a liability.

Special Teams Blocking:
Obviously.

TE:
What seemed like a deep position during training camp has become a concern. Moaki is gone. Kelce can't get on the field due to injuries and when he did couldn't catch the ball. Fasano is dinged up now. With the way our oline is playing, we need somebody reliable who can chip at the line and with our short pass offense, we need somebody who can find a hole in a zone and get a first down when we need one.

Time Outs:
I realize it is early in the season, but eventually we will need these at the end of a half, we are burning way too many early on.

Stretch the Field:
I'm not going to say WR here, we are definitely doing better than last year at spreading the ball around, but we need to figure out how to open up the passing game a bit more. I didn't really notice a whole lot of play action, but I also wasn't looking for it either. Seems like we are spreading it out to open up the underneath stuff without even trying to look beyond.

Penalties:
A team that takes care of the ball as well as we have should also be disciplined enough to not walk the ball backwards with dumb mental mistakes.

Bonus Things we are doing well:
Red Zone Offense
Turnover Differential
QB pressure
Run D
Time of Possession
Punting
Aside from those blocked kicks, we are finally getting the ball to bounce our way more often than not. Good teams make that happen, and we are on our way to proving we are a good team.
Morale - night and day from the top down and into the fan base compared to last season. The players clearly believe in themselves and what Reid has them doing.
2013 Adopt-A-Chief: #87 Travis Kelce, TE
Rec:0/Yards:0/TD's:0/Avg per:0
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Team Needs - Week 2 Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Dave Toub is the new Bobby Sippio. J/K

HOW DARE YOU????

1. O-line consistency: Sometimes a sieve, sometimes a siege engine. Smith isn't the guy who is going to stand in there, take a hit, and throw a bullet, and Charles isn't going to run over anybody. Well, okay, anybody but Morris Claiborne, but you get the point. We have the talent there, save for LG, so there is no excuse. I'm less concerned about ability or technique than I am with the ability to properly handle blitzes and read the rush. Some poor communication on blitzes and stunts has been a problem. I can tolerate Ware beating Albert and Fisher a bit, but Lee coming untouched between Hudson and Allen can't happen.

2. Downfield passing: I love the reliability from Alex, I really do, but one of the things you get when you have a non-great QB is problems with pressure. There were often times Alex needed to dump it off quickly or take off because the rush got there. But the rush didn't always get there. And when it didn't, he still played like it did. 6 passes thrown deeper than 10 yards isn't going to be good enough soon. There was pressure, but there were a solid 25 dropbacks without pressure.

3. Flowers to be Flowers: I forgive him already, but I can't be so biased that I don't recognize that he had a bad game. I LOVE the concept though. Flowers struggled with Bryant, yes, but he isn't going to struggle against most WRs. And I love this sort of recent Jets style of defensive play that if we have Flowers on one guy all day, we're really scheming a 10 v 10 matchup. Gives much more versatility.

Adopt-a-Chief: Travis "Better Than Tony Moeaki" Kelce
Pre-Season: 5 receptions, 132 yards, 2 TDs
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Somebody to play guard not named Jeff Allen, the guy is garbage, almost want to slide Stephenson in just to see what happens.

2. WRs there is no reason we couldn't get more separation, bottom line is we're still without a number 2 WR, and the guys behind aren't making up the difference.

3. TE - I really think Kelce will be a weapon for us...but right now we have nothing

4. Interior O-line - just wasn't good enough

5. ST blocking, horrible again, maybe switching out half the unit after pre-season wasn't a great idea.
Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. OL consistency.
2. Kelce to get healthy and return to the camp beast he was reported to be
3. WRs who get open outside of Bowe
4. More runs
5. Flowers to continue to be 2nd half Flowers, not 1st quarter Flowers

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
onejayhawk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not worried about ST. They dropped half the roster and ST was hit hardest. They just need repetitions. The talent is there. It doesn not hurt that Succop and Colquitt rank with the best pairs of legs in the NFL.

J

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: