Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Has Knowshon Moreno turned the corner?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Winder23

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:
KC_Broncos_Fan wrote:
Considering the runningbacks that Denver couldve had out of that draft, yes he was drafted way too high. He has been solid the past couple of seasons though. Thats all this team needs really. A solid, reliable RB

While i don't necessarily disagree with this statement, i think if Denver wants to take the offense to the next level and be an even more dangerous team in the playoffs they need a better player than Moreno at RB. I don't think Ronnie Hillman alone is the answer and Montee Ball alone may not be either, but i think they combination of the two could be. I know Ball hasn't been incredibly impressive, but from the small sample size i really like his explosion in and out of cuts, it's much better than Moreno's. If he can bring the vision he seemed to have had in college i think he could be a real upgrade over Moreno as a runner. Throw Hillman in with his speed for 8 to 10 touches a game and i think between the 2 of Ball/Hillman Denver's backfield would be somewhat dangerous and possibly even capable of carrying the team in tough games. I still believe in the playoffs you need to be able to win a game on the ground and while the Rahim Moore catastrophe from last years Raven's game gets all the attention for the loss, i feel that Denver's in ability to control the game on the ground was just as big a factor. I think people forget that Denver ran the ball 41x in that game and averaged a measly 3 yards a carry.
All of this conjecture sounds good, but the results don't lie. Moreno is playing very well. He is getting the lion's share of snaps and for good reason. His pass pro has been great except for one hold. He is running hard and getting yards after contact. If Moreno stays healthy he could have a real good year.

The Broncos have enough playmakers. They need solid pass pro and hard running. That is what Knowshon is bringing. Ball will round into form and give us the fresh legs as the season goes on, but Moreno is the man for now. He has turned a corner as become a professional. I am very happy for Knowshon.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Moreno has the talent to be an above average back in this league. But he'll never stay healthy long enough to establish any kind of consistency. Every time he gets into the swing of things and starts showing flashes of the back he was in college, he gets injured. I think with this line and QB, Moreno could definitely be a 1000-1200 yard RB if he could stay healthy for a full season. But he won't.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hesitant to say he's turned the corner because I've seen this from him before. He'll have a few good games, then suck or get hurt. If he can play at this level going forward, that's fine.

I do have a suspicion that when CJ Anderson is fully healthy they'll try him out. I don't know why, but LIS, they kept him for a reason. Maybe he can be the answer. Who knows.

Thanks, Tzimisce
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
I'm hesitant to say he's turned the corner because I've seen this from him before. He'll have a few good games, then suck or get hurt. If he can play at this level going forward, that's fine.

I do have a suspicion that when CJ Anderson is fully healthy they'll try him out. I don't know why, but LIS, they kept him for a reason. Maybe he can be the answer. Who knows.

Everybody and their mother knows what Knowshon is capable of doing. If he can at least be consistent in pass protection, I'll take the occasional bad game out of him. This team is going to win by its passing game not by its running game.

I disagree with you on CJ Anderson though. The reason he was kept was because hes clearly better than Lance Ball. I dont think he challenges for the starting job unless Knowshon gets hurt or Ball and Hillman keep fumbling. Then he might get a chance for some playing time. Other than that, he will be ST's or healthy scratch.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
broncos67 wrote:

Everybody and their mother knows what Knowshon is capable of doing. If he can at least be consistent in pass protection, I'll take the occasional bad game out of him. This team is going to win by its passing game not by its running game.

I disagree with you on CJ Anderson though. The reason he was kept was because hes clearly better than Lance Ball. I dont think he challenges for the starting job unless Knowshon gets hurt or Ball and Hillman keep fumbling. Then he might get a chance for some playing time. Other than that, he will be ST's or healthy scratch.

We'll agree to disagree on the last part. I personally believe that CJ was kept because they actually see something in him. Otherwise they would've simply cut him and kept Hester.

Thanks, Tzimisce
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
broncos67 wrote:

We'll agree to disagree on the last part. I personally believe that CJ was kept because they actually see something in him. Otherwise they would've simply cut him and kept Hester.

No, I agree they see something in him. Hes certainly a better player than Ball and Hester, I just dont think hes any better than Ball/Hillman right now

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:

If CJ is a better blocker than both Hillman and Ball than he will probably get the starting job over both. I didn't pay too much attention to him in the pre-season though, so I don't know how good he is in that aspect. It is not out of reach for CJ to take the starting job at some point because Moreno is injury prone and Ball/Hillman are mistake prone.
bobdevine

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vote for Moreno as week 2 FedEx Air and Ground player of the week:
http://www.nfl.com/voting/players-air-and-ground/2013/REG/2

I thought Moreno would be starter because he fits the role of a RB who is a strong pass-blocker that can make 10-15 good runs per game.

Moreno is transitioning from a shifty runner to one that can be a reliable runner that protects the ball. What is his playing weight now? Is he still over 220 pounds?
champ+jay+al=SB

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobdevine wrote:

I thought Moreno would be starter because he fits the role of a RB who is a strong pass-blocker that can make 10-15 good runs per game.

Moreno is transitioning from a shifty runner to one that can be a reliable runner that protects the ball. What is his playing weight now? Is he still over 220 pounds?

I try not to hate on Moreno all the time, but it's things like this that make it so hard

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

champ+jay+al=SB wrote:
bobdevine wrote:

I try not to hate on Moreno all the time, but it's things like this that make it so hard

That was hilarious. Laughing

^ Joe_is_the_best with the sig.
jetskid007

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1234567 wrote:
I think Moreno has the talent to be an above average back in this league. But he'll never stay healthy long enough to establish any kind of consistency. Every time he gets into the swing of things and starts showing flashes of the back he was in college, he gets injured. I think with this line and QB, Moreno could definitely be a 1000-1200 yard RB if he could stay healthy for a full season. But he won't.

I think part of his professional injury history stems from his high school and college workload. No doubt he was over-worked. He touched the ball over 700 times from his freshman to senior year, and played defense most of his freshman through junior seasons. He also did basketball and track. If I remember correctly he only missed 1 snap his entire Junior season. Fast forward to Georgia. He had over 500 touches in 2 years of college and never missed a game.

I'm don't want to make excuses for him, but it's not like he's a freak of nature that doesn't wear down. I hope he can stay healthy and prosper for you guys
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given his history I need to see Knowshon play this way for at least a few more games before I can say he "turned the corner."

We all know the story on him - he shows up and does work for a few games and then he either a) becomes ineffective or, more likely, b) gets hurt. So we've been down this road before. I hope for our team's sake this is not a repeat of the history but rather that he has turned the corner. Also remember he is in a contract year and if there's one thing we know about Knowshon it's that he puts himself first.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

champ+jay+al=SB wrote:
bobdevine wrote:

No kidding. He looked like Bettis on his runs; without the pounds. 2.5 seconds to accelerate, rest to rumble.

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: