Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Has Knowshon Moreno turned the corner?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jetskid007

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Has Knowshon Moreno turned the corner? Reply with quote

I've long been a fan of Knowshon ever since his days at Middletown South high school when he dominated year in and year out. Always a try-hard guy with a great personality, many felt he was going to be great. We used to play basketball with him when he was a sophomore in high school and he was able to dunk OVER people back then.

He's not as fast or as athletic as he was then, now more of a bruiser-back, but he's still a 26 year old former 12th overall pick that seems to have matured tremendously in the Broncos backfield after years of injuries and inconsistencies. I know he's no longer a gifted runner, but do you guys think he's turned to corner and will be the Broncos top RB week in and week out? In my eyes, he's starting to resemble what Willis McGahee was for Denver just at a younger age. I hope that's the case, but you guys probably know this situation better than I do...
hibdib31

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's playing best of the bunch right now and as long as he doesn't fumble he's the guy.
elwayfan07

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibdib31 wrote:
He's playing best of the bunch right now and as long as he doesn't fumble he's the guy.

He gets a bad rep to a certain extent. He never should have been drafted #12 overall. He isn't a special back. However, he is reasonably solid. All he is there for is to keep defense honest and he cant perform in that capacity

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elwayfan07 wrote:
hibdib31 wrote:

He gets a bad rep to a certain extent. He never should have been drafted #12 overall. He isn't a special back. However, he is reasonably solid. All he is there for is to keep defense honest and he cant perform in that capacity

He isn't top-15 in the draft special, but he was a 20th-32nd overall talent when he came out.

He gets a bum rap, but he was a victim of McDufus. The Diaper Baby wanted to run a power blocking scheme with a zone line, and Knowshon was hung out to dry. He didn't have much of a chance.
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He turned the corner twice yesterday for two touchdowns.
champ+jay+al=SB

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked what I saw out of Knowshon yesterday. We know what we are getting outta him....which is not as good of running as Willis for the record.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moreno is a pour mans Terrell Davis.

That being said, he needs to stay in the field to play up to that level. Something he's never been able to accomplish though his disappointing career.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marktheshark wrote:

That being said, he needs to stay in the field to play up to that level. Something he's never been able to accomplish though his disappointing career.

He must be a very poor man's TD then. Laughing

^ Joe_is_the_best with the sig.
7DnBrnc53

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsthomp2007 wrote:
He turned the corner twice yesterday for two touchdowns.

Ha, ha. You should be in Vegas.
TheChosen186

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the context. I think he struggled in his first years here because the opposing defenses was primarily focused was on him. I mean the QBs were Tebow and Orton at the time and Moreno was a 1st round draft pick (#1 overall in RBs) with tons of hype. He had a hard time playing with a bullseye on his back.

With Peyton's arrival, Moreno has been good because nobody has viewed him as much of a threat anymore. In fact, I think in the past two years people have already considered him a bust. Moreno was on the scout team for most of last season and wasn't even dressed up in games when McGahee was playing. When McGahee went out, Moreno took the starting job over Hillman just because they didn't trust Hillman's pass blocking ability. Moreno climbed his way back up to getting playing time on this team.

Somebody made a good point, I forgot whether it was an article or a poster here, but when Moreno is the RB, defenses pretty much think that they are passing since they have Peyton out there and Moreno is their best blocker. When Ball was out there, they knew there was a strong chance for a run because they don't trust his blocking. I only recall a couple of plays where Ball blocked but for the most part he either ran routes or ran the ball himself.

Moreno is just doing his job nicely being the RB for Peyton but if he had defensive focus like he did early in his career, he may very well be playing the same way, maybe even worse since he looks even less athletic now than he did as a rookie due to all those injuries he has suffered.

I think a good comparison for Moreno is a poor man's Arian Foster. Both are good all-around backs, don't really have much of a strong suit in their game and don't have a weak suit either. NFL.com did compare him to Joseph Addai at the combine which is a good comparison since Addai was a good player and Manning was able to win a Superbowl with him as the RB.
germ-x

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, i don't think he has turned the corner. I still view him as a better version of Lance Ball. Moreno has absolutely terrible vision as a runner. I've said this many times, but it's odd because in college i always found Moreno's vision to be one of his greatest strengths...but in the pro's (along with his lack of explosion) i feel it's been one of the biggest reasons he hasn't lived up to
expectations.
champ+jay+al=SB

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:
No, i don't think he has turned the corner. I still view him as a better version of Lance Ball. Moreno has absolutely terrible vision as a runner. I've said this many times, but it's odd because in college i always found Moreno's vision to be one of his greatest strengths...but in the pro's (along with his lack of explosion) i feel it's been one of the biggest reasons he hasn't lived up to
expectations.

I agree with Germ. Moreno deserves props for his strength/toughness, which he didn't have his first couple years, but I still think his ability as a runner is weak. I think he has earned the job easily as of now, but I would be disappointed if Ronnie doesn't end up being our most impactful back by the end of the year.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iLikeDefense wrote:
marktheshark wrote:

He must be a very poor man's TD then. Laughing

More like a welfare man's TD...I liken him more to Sammy Winder

Jakuvious wrote:
KC's pass rush is fast. Manning's decision making is faster.
KC_Broncos_Fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the runningbacks that Denver couldve had out of that draft, yes he was drafted way too high. He has been solid the past couple of seasons though. Thats all this team needs really. A solid, reliable RB
germ-x

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC_Broncos_Fan wrote:
Considering the runningbacks that Denver couldve had out of that draft, yes he was drafted way too high. He has been solid the past couple of seasons though. Thats all this team needs really. A solid, reliable RB

While i don't necessarily disagree with this statement, i think if Denver wants to take the offense to the next level and be an even more dangerous team in the playoffs they need a better player than Moreno at RB. I don't think Ronnie Hillman alone is the answer and Montee Ball alone may not be either, but i think they combination of the two could be. I know Ball hasn't been incredibly impressive, but from the small sample size i really like his explosion in and out of cuts, it's much better than Moreno's. If he can bring the vision he seemed to have had in college i think he could be a real upgrade over Moreno as a runner. Throw Hillman in with his speed for 8 to 10 touches a game and i think between the 2 of Ball/Hillman Denver's backfield would be somewhat dangerous and possibly even capable of carrying the team in tough games. I still believe in the playoffs you need to be able to win a game on the ground and while the Rahim Moore catastrophe from last years Raven's game gets all the attention for the loss, i feel that Denver's in ability to control the game on the ground was just as big a factor. I think people forget that Denver ran the ball 41x in that game and averaged a measly 3 yards a carry.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: