You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Worried about Richardson? Carry by carry breakdown
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulldog

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Worried about Richardson? Carry by carry breakdown Reply with quote

I see a lot of post on here worrying about Richardson and that he may be a bust. I'm here to debunk that thought. Miscues on the OL and lack of separation are the biggest problems right now. Not Brandon Weeden. Not Trent Richardson.

I've broke down every carry that Richardson had vs BAL. Enjoy!

1st quater

1-- 1st and goal from the 7. Fake end around. 12 personnel with both TE's lined up right. Close formation. BAL lines up with 5 on the LOS, 2 LB's and SS in the box. Stretch play to right, Mack gets pushed backwards and Barnidge (the outside TE) loses outside leverage. T-Rich cuts back up inside, gets hit by Suggs between LOS and 1 yard gain. Richardson Marked down at the four. Gain of 3.

Hit at- 1 yard gain
total yards- 3

2-- 2nd and goal from 4. Dive to the left. 12 personnel again, both TE's lined up left. Close formation. Barnidge outside motions to offset left FB. Cousins pulls left. BAL lines up base 34 with safety in the box. Cousins slow as hell to get to other side of OL. Richardson studder steps as Greco gets pushed back one yard and takes him man to ground in front of Richardson. OL and Richardson Stonewalled after one yard gain.

Hit at- 1 yard
Total yards- 1 yard

3--2nd and 6. 12 personnel. both TE's left. Barnidge outside TE. Close formation. BAL lines up base 34 one single high safety. Run right. Greco pulls right, as does Barnidge, from the other side of the OL, interesting run design I thought. Cousins puts high man on the ground, along with another defender. Mack misses block. Greco blocks him man to outside. Barnidge gets good hit. Benji does really bad job at blocking the CB on the outside. Richardson bounces outside after Mack missed his man. Gets hit low after 2 yard gain by Benji's man. Gets four yards.

Hit at- 2
Total yards- 4

4--1st and 10 from own 4. 12 Personnel. TE left side(Cameron) and right side(Barnidge). Both WR's lined up right. BAL base 34 with single high safety. Dive right. Mack gets good initial block and makes it to second level. Schwartz goes straight to second level. Cousins and Barnidge fight but get no movement from their man. Richardson runs behind Schwartz who is already on a LB. Gets hit by Cousins' man at LOS though. Plows forward for 3 yards

Hit at- LOS
Total yards- 3

5--2nd and 7 at own 7. 21 Personnel, but Barnidge is lined up at FB, motions to left TE to a 12 personnel. Cameron right TE. 2 WR's left. BAL base 34 with 2 deep safeties. Dive left. Mack puts Ngata on the ground and Greco makes it in the second level and owns LB. Thomas hold good ground. Richardson has a hole. Cameron completely wiffs on block and Richardson nearly gets tackles by that guy. Cousins ends up on ground and doesn't block anyone. Richardson gets tackled by Schwartz's man who bulldozes his way down LOS. Richarson goes 1 yard before hit. Gets 4.

Hit at- 1
Total yards- 4

Second Quarter

6--1st and goal from own 20. 12 personnel. one WR and TE left and right. Close formation. BAL base 34 with OLB looking like a rush and 2 deep safeties. Dive left. Cousins pulls left. OL gets good push, Richardson gets tackled by Schwartz's guy again after defender disengages. If there was ever a play that Richardson should have bounced outside, it was this one. He still gets four.

Hit at- 1.5
Total yards- 4

7--1st and 10 at own 30. 12 personnel. Both TE right Barnidge outside WR's wide left and right. BAL base 34 with safety rolled over to Benji's side. Barnidge Motions to offset left FB. Played designed to dive right. Greco pulls right. Barnidge goes right as well. Looks like there might have been some confusion on the hand off as Weeden looked like he bounce stepped before he handed it to Richardson.Maybe he got his foot stepped on as Barnidge came right across in front on Weeden after the snap. Richardson decides to cut it back left inside where the OL did get some push, but he should have followed his blockers to the right. (though, Richardson may have been tackled from the backside at the Rush LB came after the QB and it looked like Thomas wasn't ready for that since it was a run and Thomas kind of let him go) Cousins is blocking Ngata and Ngata throws him sideways. Richardson runs right into Ngata.

Hit at- 3
Total yards- 3

8--1st and 10. 12 personnel. Both TE lined up right, Barnidge outside. Both WR's left. Little inside motions behind Thomas. BAL base 34 off coverage single high safety. Stretch play to right. Right side does good job blocking. Greco ends up on ground right away. Thomas goes to second level and makes a terrible attempt at a cut block. Fail. Little does his job and takes out the backside guy. Richardson finds a spot and cuts uphill. Thomas's man makes first contact and Greco's guy is right behind him. This would have been a great run had Greco or Thomas done anything at all.

Hit at- 3
Total yards- 5

9--2nd and 5. 21 personnel. Cameron lined up right both WR's lined up left Oby is the FB. BAL lines up base 34 two deep safeties. Dive left. OL does good job on the play holding their guy. decent push. Even by Cameron on the right side. Problem here was BAL had ROLB overtop of slot wr and RDE over top of Thomas. ROLB came in for the run as soon as the ball was snapped, but came to the outside. Thomas nearly blocked both of them, but Oby decided to stop right in front of Richardson and help Thomas. Richardson was started running full force, but had to slow down b/c of Oby, he is forced to go straight up inside. the WILB come up to make the play, but had Oby gone straight through the hole, this guy would have been picked up. More defenders than blockers.

Hit at- 1
Total yards- 1

10-- 2nd and 12 at BAL 43. 11 Personnel. Barnidge left. One WR right, two WR left. Under center. BAL in nickle. Off coverage left. two DT's. overloaded offensive right side. Stretch play right. Everyone picks up a guy except Greco and Barnidge. Greco whiffs on a block and this is the guy that initial contact. Barnidge never blocked anyone so someone else came clean to finish Richardson off. Richardson attempts to cut back left after just 2 steps, great decision. Except for the guy Barnidge didn't block was there. This may have been a first down had Barnidge or Greco blocked anyone. Another thing, None of the offense finishes a block. Definitely not to the whistle.

Hit at- LOS
Total yards- 2

11--1st and 10. Starts as 11 Personnel, but Barnidge is lined up wide right at WR, motions to offset right FB for 21 personnel look.Cameron left. Benji slot right little wide left. BAL base 34 two deep safeties. Run left. BAL has good outside contain, Richardson keeps it inside. Mack blocked a blitzing LB and knocks him to the ground, but goes to the ground as well. Greco Man handles NT. Thomas Contains Ngata well. Cousins ends up on the left side standing sideways somehow and Richardson runs right into him knocking Cousins on the ground. Again, there was a good hole to run thought, but Cousins' worthlessness was standing in it doing nothing.

Hit at- 2
Total yards- 3

3rd quarter

12--1st and 10 at own 18. 12 Personnel. Both TE's lined up right Camerson outside. Both WR's left. BAL base 34. single deep safety. Pitch right. Thomas chips on his way down LOS, but ends up on the ground. Greco gets to the second level right away and ends up on the ground. Does make contact with LB before falling. Mack is supposed to pull as well, but he picks up a blitzing LB on the offensive right. Cousins gets blown up by Ngata, but Ngata goes to the offensive left taking himslef out of the play. Schwartz and both TE's pick someone up.

Hit at- 3
Total yards- 7

13--2nd and 3. Pistol Formation. Oby lined up left and Cameron right in backfield. Benji wide left Little close right. BAL base 34. 2 deep safeties, press coverage on Benji off coverage on Little. Dive left. Cameron didn't know it was a run, he ran a route into the flat. Oby cut blocks LDE out of play. Mack drives Ngata back 3 yards. Greco has a successful block. Cousins tries to help Mack. Schwartz attempts to block a LB, but the LB kinda of falls to the ground. Little didn't do anything. First down.

Hit at- 2
Total yards- 4

14--1st and 10 at own 29. 21 Personnel. Cameron lined up right. Oby as FB. one WR left and right. Little right, motions to left before snap to be beside RT. BAL in 4 man front. "over" look. One deep safety, another in box. Pitch right. Little Whiff on block and ends up on ground. Cameron makes good initial contact, but doesnt drive with legs. Ends up on ground. Schwartz pulls right, gets to second level. Cousins attempts a cut block. Oby finished it off though with a shoulder chuck, Oby keeps running. Oby misses next block. Mack gets owned by Ngata, driven straight backwards. Greco works his way down the LOS on a block, but falls over Little and Cameron who are already on the ground. Thomas does his job. Richardson gets hit at LOS by both Oby's second defender and Cameron's failed blocked defender. Then gets hit by two other guys. Spins out of tackles. Gets hit by yet another guy. Makes a play. 7 yards.

Hit at- LOS
Total yards- 7

15--2nd and 5 at own 45. 12 Personnel. both TE's right. Barnidge outside. Little close right. Gurley lined up close left. BAL base 34. single deep safety. Pitch left. LIttle motions left beside Gurley. Gurley bumps one LB but loses, puts another on the ground. Little attempts to block McPhee, who is lined up as a ROLB. Little loses bad. Thomas takes out the first guy. Greco drives Cody backwards several yards. Mack pulls left, probably should have helped Little, but doesnt. ends up not blocking anyone. Cousins puts a LB on the ground. Schwartz looks like he attempts to cut block Ngata, but it doesn't even come close to working. Cameron dives at his guy, doesn't do anything. End up on ground. Barnidge is in the second level looking around for a guy. Richardson gets hit by McPhee at -4 yard mark along with a safety and was finished off by the guy that Cameron attempted to block.

Hit at- -3
Total yards- -3

16--1st and 10 at own 20. Shotgun. 11 personnel at first, but Barnidge is lined up wide left, motions to backfield for a 21 personnel look. Benji close right. Little close left. Cameron lined up left. BAL base 34. single high safety. Draw play to left. Little gets his hands dirty on a LB. Cameron helps Thomas at first, then moves on to second level LB. Thomas holds block. Greco blocks Cody while Cody pushes Greco's face mask (hands to the face REF!!). Mack hands off Cody then goes to second level. blocks Suggs. Cousins pulls left and owns Daryl Smith. Schwartz blocks Jones good enough. Barnidge (from the backfield) blocks a OLB fairly well. Richardson plows thought everyone.

Hit at- 4
Total yards- 8

17--2nd and 2 at own 29. Under center. Trips close right, both TEs. and little. Benji Wide left. single back. Barnidge motions back and fourth to FB position. BAL shows 4 man front "over" look. Safety in box. single high safety. Bit of a delayed handoff dive left. Looks messy. Little blocks but releases to soon. Cameron doesnt block anyone. Schwartz blocks, but again releases too soon. Cousins pulls left and tries to pick up the OLB and Thomas let go who was flying around the edge. Mack gets good initial block, but ends up on ground. Greco and Thomas block Cody and push him back about 4 yards. Thomas releases and picks up a LB. Barnidge (from the backfield) has a chance at 3 different people and doesn't block any of them. Richardson first gets hit by ROLB rushing around edge that Thomas let go and Cousins made a tough attempt to get a lick on him. (it was actually a really good effort by cousins, I think this was a missed block by Thomas, or the defense didn't do what the offense thought they were going to do). As soons as Richardson gets out of first attempted tackle, he it met by 5 defenders at the same time. This is a result of early releases and two failed pickup up blocks by the offense.

Hit at- -3
Total yards- -2

18--1st and 10. Shotgun. Barnidge in backfield. Cameron TE right. Little close right, Benji wide left. BAL 4 man "over" front. Safety in box. Single high. Draw play right. Little Whiffs of block in second level. Cameron make solid block at LOS. Schwartz runs to second level and doesn't block anyone. Cousins blocks down left and Ngata puts him on ground right away. Mack blocks down left and takes out RDE. Greco pulls right and picks up LB. Thomas holds block. Barnidge (from backfield) makes good initial contact, but doesn't maintain at all. Ngata attempts a arm tackle nearly 2 yards behind LOS, Richardson breaks by. Ngata continues running behind Richardson and as Barnidge's failed block(Dumervil) forces Richardson to slow down, Ngata catches Richardson from behind and Dumervil finishes him off.

Hit at- -1.5
Total yards- 3

--Total yards before contact= 17

--Total yards after contact= 40

--Hit behind or at the LOS= 6 times.

--10 runs on first down. 8 runs on second down. 0 runs on third down. 0 fourth quarter carries.

-BAL was lined up man-to-man with our WRs all day. left a single safety high just in case, mostly over Cameron. Alot of run blitzes from them as well.

By my count, 69% of Richardson's yards came AFTER contact. I'd call that a ridiculous number and say that we have nothing to be worried about.

Few other quick hitters

- OL has a whole failed, but not all at once. I think Norv's system may be more complicated than some realized.

-WR's do not get separation at all. At least three of Weeden's sacks were coverage sacks.

-Biggest problems right now, IMO, is communication and the WRs.
bulldog

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:
By my count, 69% of Richardson's yards came AFTER contact. I'd call that a ridiculous number and say that we have nothing to be worried about.

I compared this to the top 11 RB's from last year

Adrian Peterson= 62% of total yards after contact
Alfred Morris= 62%
Marshaun Lynch= 55%
Jamal Charles= 42%
Doug Martin= 69%
Arian Foster= 54%
Steven Ridley= 57%
C.J. Spiller= 60%
Chris Johnson= 45%
Frank Gore= 56%
Ray Rice= 53%

Trent Richardson= 59% (with broken ribs and no TC)
bulldog

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was this too much reading material?

Thought this would get much more traffic.

The major plays would be

Play3 (good looking run design)
Play 5
Play 10
Play 14
Play 17

If you don't want to read the whole thing.

Some things to point out would be how good Mack did against Ngata, how hot and cold Greco played, how bad Barnidge was this game, and how Cameron actually did a good job for the most part.
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:

The major plays would be

Play 5
Play 10
Play 14
Play 17

Some things to point out would be how good Mack did against Ngata, how hot and cold Greco played, how bad Barnidge was this game, and how Cameron actually did a good job for the most part.

I already agreed with you.

While he hasn't run like a beast, just watching the games and you can see that our oline is not getting any push. Almost the opposite of push on a lot of plays.

Like I said in the other thread, play calling and lack of any passing threat takes away any element of surprise.

I know what we are doing before we do it, so you can bet your [inappropriate/removed] that Defensive coordinators have a pretty good idea as well.

2015 Adopt-A-Brown:
Joe Thomas, GOAT
Christian Kirksey, ILB
Entropy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
bulldog wrote:

The major plays would be

Play 5
Play 10
Play 14
Play 17

While he hasn't run like a beast, just watching the games and you can see that our oline is not getting any push. Almost the opposite of push on a lot of plays.

Like I said in the other thread, play calling and lack of any passing threat takes away any element of surprise.

I know what we are doing before we do it, so you can bet your [inappropriate/removed] that Defensive coordinators have a pretty good idea as well.

The offensive line is clearly the majority of the problem here--and the play calling issue is almost always just a cop out.

I don't know about you, but if you're talking run vs pass, I know what all teams are trying to do before the snap a pretty high percentage of the time.

Which time was the 3rd and long pass to Stokley a surprise?

What I don't know is how well they will execute what they are trying to do.

Though, I'm starting to see a trend that makes me expect the run blocking and pass blocking to be poor with the current personnel.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:
bulldog wrote:

The major plays would be

Play 5
Play 10
Play 14
Play 17

The offensive line is clearly the majority of the problem here--and the play calling issue is almost always just a cop out.

I don't know about you, but if you're talking run vs pass, I know what all teams are trying to do before the snap a pretty high percentage of the time.

Which time was the 3rd and long pass to Stokley a surprise?

What I don't know is how well they will execute what they are trying to do.

Though, I'm starting to see a trend that makes me expect the run blocking and pass blocking to be poor with the current personnel.

Especially in the 2nd half, when we go to shotgun, did we even hand it off once?

We never have trent in on 3rd down?

I think a screen or draw would really help.

It just still seems very vanilla and not that hard to see coming.

2015 Adopt-A-Brown:
Joe Thomas, GOAT
Christian Kirksey, ILB
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, while I do think the Oline is a problem, I think a lack of passing threat is just as big of a problem.

Defenses bring more guys in the box because it's pretty clear that A. Weeden can't handle the pressure. B. Weeden isn't consistent enough to get the ball in the right place. C. Our receivers have a real tough time getting open.

2015 Adopt-A-Brown:
Joe Thomas, GOAT
Christian Kirksey, ILB
ohiogenius

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great breakdown BullDog. I was starting to read the posts and becoming discouraged but this makes me feel better.

Peace!!!

If you're referring to fingers on his glove, the answer is yes.
Entropy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:

Especially in the 2nd half, when we go to shotgun, did we even hand it off once?

We never have trent in on 3rd down?

I think a screen or draw would really help.

It just still seems very vanilla and not that hard to see coming.

TRich had 2 runs out of shotgun, one for 4 yards and one for 3 yards.

The Ravens had 3 one yard runs out of shotgun.

I think the Browns have some concerns about Trent's ability to block on 3rd down-- I don't know why.

We tried at least 3 screens last week and they all failed due to pressure/penetration. I think we are still working on that--might need Lauvao back before we see much more.

Draws require the guard to not get knocked on his [inappropriate/removed] at the snap--lol

seriously, it requires better pass blocking then we are showing right now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
Also, while I do think the Oline is a problem, I think a lack of passing threat is just as big of a problem.

Defenses bring more guys in the box because it's pretty clear that A. Weeden can't handle the pressure. B. Weeden isn't consistent enough to get the ball in the right place. C. Our receivers have a real tough time getting open.

If it's true that Weeden can't handle pressure, it would stand to reason that he would be missing more open receivers, completing less passes, and throwing more bad passes/bad decisions.

I think the biggest issue is that we need Gordon back to take a lot of pressure off of our receivers.

I honestly think about any offense looks like crap with Little as the primary play maker.

BTW, Little has, I believe, the most targets of any receiver on the team--and only 8 catches for 59 yards.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:

If it's true that Weeden can't handle pressure, it would stand to reason that he would be missing more open receivers, completing less passes, and throwing more bad passes/bad decisions.

I think the biggest issue is that we need Gordon back to take a lot of pressure off of our receivers.

I honestly think about any offense looks like crap with Little as the primary play maker.

BTW, Little has, I believe, the most targets of any receiver on the team--and only 8 catches for 59 yards.

I definitely agree that Gordon could really make a difference.

Sucks that Weeden may not be there to see if Gordon would help him that much.

2015 Adopt-A-Brown:
Joe Thomas, GOAT
Christian Kirksey, ILB
ACDC_Rocks024

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully anticipate Gordon to make a significant difference in our run game. He will most likely draw Minny's #1 WR and the domino effect should really spread the field, especially, if Gordon's game is ON (Knock on wood).

-Jimi Hendrix
Ether

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really appreciate the effort and I agree our offensive line isn't blocking as well as they need to, however this doesn't quell most critics concerns. I don't think anybody doubts Trent's ability to make yards after contact, the doubt comes from whether he hits the hole and gets vertical fast enough. It's not necessarily where on the field Trent got hit first as much as it is about whether he's picking the right places to go with the ball as fast as he can.

It's exactly why Montario Hardesty came in and looked significantly better than Richardson did last year. It had nothing to do with Hardesty's yards after contact (which he was pitiful), it had to do with his ability to get through the hole right as it opened up. Unfortunately there really isn't any RB behind Trent which we have confidence to even hand the ball off to that may be able to display this difference more clearly.

Somehow losing MoHard has actually hurt us a lot this year.
bulldog

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ether wrote:
I really appreciate the effort and I agree our offensive line isn't blocking as well as they need to, however this doesn't quell most critics concerns. I don't think anybody doubts Trent's ability to make yards after contact, the doubt comes from whether he hits the hole and gets vertical fast enough. It's not necessarily where on the field Trent got hit first as much as it is about whether he's picking the right places to go with the ball as fast as he can.

It's exactly why Montario Hardesty came in and looked significantly better than Richardson did last year. It had nothing to do with Hardesty's yards after contact (which he was pitiful), it had to do with his ability to get through the hole right as it opened up. Unfortunately there really isn't any RB behind Trent which we have confidence to even hand the ball off to that may be able to display this difference more clearly.

going as fast as possible to the hole isn't always the right answer. Hillis ran that way, worked out so well for him.

I made it a point to show when Richardson didn't run the right place. or if he stalled. He doesn't do this nearly as much as people are freaking out about. But when he's faced with a defender at or behind the LOS, he has to change direction. 6 of his 18 carries he had do do this, and countless others he was tackled by a guy that someone completely whiffed on a block.

The only play or two he made it to the outside (plays 12 and 14) he got the opportunity in space to make someone miss, and he did.

The OL is not maintaining block or failing to block at all. I can't even describe how bad Cousins and Schwartz look at this point. Barnidge too for that matter.
Ether

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:
Ether wrote:

going as fast as possible to the hole isn't always the right answer. Hillis ran that way, worked out so well for him.

I made it a point to show when Richardson didn't run the right place. or if he stalled. He doesn't do this nearly as much as people are freaking out about. But when he's faced with a defender at or behind the LOS, he has to change direction. 6 of his 18 carries he had do do this, and countless others he was tackled by a guy that someone completely whiffed on a block.

The only play or two he made it to the outside (plays 12 and 14) he got the opportunity in space to make someone miss, and he did.

The OL is not maintaining block or failing to block at all. I can't even describe how bad Cousins and Schwartz look at this point. Barnidge too for that matter.

Fast wasn't really the right word, more decisiveness is what I think Richardson needs. He needs to pick the right hole with the right timing. I just don't think he has good instincts.

Not gonna even argue with our blocking or pretend like I'm gonna go back and watch every run this game. You've got me beat there, it's just what I think the problem was last year and I don't think much has changed with his running style but his blocking has gotten worse. I find it hard to believe that his ypc which are pretty pitiful are entirely due to his o-line, you don't see great backs have 3.5 ypc over their career regardless of how bad their o-line is.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: