Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Takeaways from Chargers vs Eagles
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilkieray

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Takeaways from Chargers vs Eagles Reply with quote

Here are some of my takeaways from this weeks game.

1. Wow!! Eddie Royal
2. Rivers >70% completion percentage (McCoy called it)
3. Defense needs work (however we did play two very good offenses)
4. Mathews "HOLD ON TO THE BALL"
5. Gates still has something left in the tank
6. Green and Gates would be a defense killer, why aren't we seeing this especially after M80 goes down.
7. Clarey played pretty good

Your thoughts?
Wilkieray

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah

8. We should be 2-0 right now
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LBC Takeaways:
- Cover-1 coverage doesn't work if you can't get any pass-rush. Pagano either needs to learn this or accept it and either way adapt, blitz more, or we're going to continue to get carved up by any team with WR's aware enough to find holes in zone coverage.

- Mathews simply isn't worth the trouble. Ride him out for the rest of this year, draft someone to replace him (outside the damn 1st round this time!), let him be a post-June 1st cut next year or simply ride out his contract in the minor share of a timeshare (McCoy is a George Sieffert/John Fox protege, so I doubt we'll ever not be some form of RBBC under him). I honestly believe he lacks the work ethic and desire to improve at this point.

- Edge-rusher may just end up being a greater need in the 2014 1st round than LOT is - especially if we have the opportunity to pick up an uber-athlete Aldon Smith type of player who is rough around the edges but can be used in obvious pass-down purposes as a rookie behind Freeney. I'm starting to buy into the notion that D'Alessandris' blocking scheme doesn't require an "elite" LT, merely a competent one and chemistry among the line is much more important.

- Our secondary (Weddle aside) isn't great, but there comes a point where you can't hold them wholly accountable for "sucking" because very few DB's are going to look good when their front seven isn't getting them much in the way of pass-rush. Hopefully the lack of blitzing/rushing Butler like we did in Week 1 was more on account of respecting Vick's ability to run, but if it's not Pagano needs help.

- Eddie Royal is playing like he's got something to prove (he is in a contract year, I believe), but I'll take it. There was just absolutely no quit in him whatsoever on the field yesterday, which is night and day from last season. He and Woodhead had the most effort of anyone on the field yesterday; has me thinking we ought to judge bring in nothing but midgets from now on. Hey! It worked with Flutie!

wackywabbit wrote:
Playing center for the Chargers is like teaching DADA at Hogwarts.
Neutral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Takeaways from Chargers vs Eagles Reply with quote

Wilkieray wrote:

Agreed, he played a good game.

The only O-Lineman that gave me pause yesterday was Fluker. He had been doing well to get his hands on his opponents and lock on, but Barwin evaded him a few times on the outside. Fortunately it didn't cause many problems, but it was the kind of play that might have been a sack in Norv's offense. I don't know if Fluker was responsible for giving up the sack credited to Barwin or not. And I'm not sure how he did in the run game. They had a lot of success running the left/middle, with Clary getting to the second level on some of those plays, but I didn't see Fluker. Hopefully he continues to improve.

The LBC wrote:
Eddie Royal is playing like he's got something to prove (he is in a contract year, I believe)

Yes and no. He's under contract in 2014, but it's backloaded and his cap hit jumps to $6M. If he keeps up this level of play, it would make sense for them to extend him while simultaneously reducing his cap hit for next year.
Duffman57

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Takeaways from Chargers vs Eagles Reply with quote

Neutral wrote:
Wilkieray wrote:

Agreed, he played a good game.

The only O-Lineman that gave me pause yesterday was Fluker. He had been doing well to get his hands on his opponents and lock on, but Barwin evaded him a few times on the outside. Fortunately it didn't cause many problems, but it was the kind of play that might have been a sack in Norv's offense. I don't know if Fluker was responsible for giving up the sack credited to Barwin or not. And I'm not sure how he did in the run game. They had a lot of success running the left/middle, with Clary getting to the second level on some of those plays, but I didn't see Fluker. Hopefully he continues to improve.

The LBC wrote:
Eddie Royal is playing like he's got something to prove (he is in a contract year, I believe)

Yes and no. He's under contract in 2014, but it's backloaded and his cap hit jumps to $6M. If he keeps up this level of play, it would make sense for them to extend him while simultaneously reducing his cap hit for next year.

Fluker was decent, that one sack he got absolutely steamrolled, he just got overextended by Barwin's burst and then he just plowed right through him. Other than that he handled Barwin well, didn't allow more than 1 or 2 pressures.

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Neutral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The comments about contracts, cuts, and needs got me thinking. Hopefully this will be useful when looking at next year's team and certain players going forward...

Going by Over the Cap's numbers, the Chargers currently have $125.86M on the books for next season, including dead money and 45 players under contract.

Using the numbers for what it cost to sign the rookie draft class and practice squad, and accounting for an estimated 3% increase in cost, that bumps the total up to right around $132.3M in cap spent. This figure assumes that the Chargers have the same draft slots as last year, retain all of their picks, and all seven of those rookies make the squad (though that only leaves 52 players on the roster).

However, doing a bit of digging, it looks like the cap is supposed to remain flat as a % of revenues for another year. So, like this year, any added cap space would be because the league made more money. That's going to be a small increase once again. A reasonable estimate based on how much the cap jumped this year would be a $125M cap for 2014.

That puts the Chargers at $7.3M over the cap for next year, with a team made up of the current players under contract (in 2014), a rookie draft class, and a practice squad. I'm assuming that there is no cap rollover either. Hopefully they used the money they currently have toward locking up at least one of the young to-be free agents.
That figure does not include:
- a contract for Donald Butler
- re-signing Cam Thomas and/or Chad Rinehart
- signing any new free agents
- any additional cap space for injured players (think guys like DePalma, Willie, and Jerideau stashed on IR)
- any additional cap space needed for emergency moves (like signing Freeney)

Keep an eye on the performances of the following players. They provide the most cap relief (in $M), excluding Rivers and Weddle, of course:
Clary (4.550)
Royal (4.500)
Johnson (4.000, if June 1st cut)
Hardwick (3.400-3.900, depending on when a roster bonus is due)
Scifres (3.250, if June 1st cut)
Gates (up to 2.637, if the team asks him to take a pay cut)
McClain (2.500)
English (1.542)

The thing that's worrisome is that even if they effectively turn Clary and Johnson into cap space for Rinehart and Butler, the team still has to come up with $7.3M in space just to break even.

The other option is to re-structure current contracts so that base salary becomes a signing bonus. But, all that accomplishes is borrowing money from future years to pay for the team now. I suspect that they may do that on a minor scale, like they already did with Rivers recently. But, I really hope that Telesco doesn't look at that as anything more than a last resort. There are some teams out there that are liberally doing that, such as the Cowboys, Lions, Saints, and Panthers. The reward appears to be a one-way ticket to cap hell.
Neutral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Takeaways from Chargers vs Eagles Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
Fluker was decent, that one sack he got absolutely steamrolled, he just got overextended by Barwin's burst and then he just plowed right through him. Other than that he handled Barwin well, didn't allow more than 1 or 2 pressures.

That's an annoying trend. I hope he works through that... it doesn't seem like he's that far away from being a great tackle.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Rivers continues to perform at this clip (not necessarily being on pace for way over 50 TDs) then I think they'd be confident in pushing more of his money back. A lot of the cap hit comes from the post June 1st cuts I believe in Meachem and Gaither so I assume a lot of that comes off the books by 2015.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
Neutral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
If Rivers continues to perform at this clip (not necessarily being on pace for way over 50 TDs) then I think they'd be confident in pushing more of his money back. A lot of the cap hit comes from the post June 1st cuts I believe in Meachem and Gaither so I assume a lot of that comes off the books by 2015.

If he does that, they might just add a couple more years to the contract. The added benefit of Rivers performing well is that they could lock him up to where he would retire a Charger, and let any dead money bubble burst once they have a youngster playing on a rookie contract.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Takeaways from Chargers vs Eagles Reply with quote

Neutral wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:

That's an annoying trend. I hope he works through that... it doesn't seem like he's that far away from being a great tackle.

He didn't really get steamrolled. He let himself get turned, and started to cross his feet. Rule #1 for OL movement is shuffle, don't crossover. Barwin caught him while his feet were crossed, and he had no chance to plant.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Duffman57

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Takeaways from Chargers vs Eagles Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Neutral wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:

He didn't really get steamrolled. He let himself get turned, and started to cross his feet. Rule #1 for OL movement is shuffle, don't crossover. Barwin caught him while his feet were crossed, and he had no chance to plant.

Yeah, but thats what i meant, he had to do that to get even a piece of Barwin though. He let Barwin beat him with his burst off the edge, and then when he was turned, he lost all of his power, still kinda got ran through though.

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Duffman57

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
- Edge-rusher may just end up being a greater need in the 2014 1st round than LOT is - especially if we have the opportunity to pick up an uber-athlete Aldon Smith type of player who is rough around the edges but can be used in obvious pass-down purposes as a rookie behind Freeney. I'm starting to buy into the notion that D'Alessandris' blocking scheme doesn't require an "elite" LT, merely a competent one and chemistry among the line is much more important.

I've been saying this for a while. But i'm not sure that there's any super athletic pass rushing types outside of Barr, and he may go top 5 (despite him being very raw, and struggles heavily getting off blocks). I guess possibly Mack, but i dont really see that many great edge rushers in this class. And Aaron Lynch has looked absolutely Horrible at USF.

MrDrew wrote:
game3525

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I am on "the pass-rusher over LT" bandwagon as well. In an ideal world, we would use our first on a stud OLB and then use one of our day two picks on a tackle prospect that can sit behind Dunlap for a year and get coached up by Joe D.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

game3525 wrote:
Yeah, I am on "the pass-rusher over LT" bandwagon as well. In an ideal world, we would use our first on a stud OLB and then use one of our day two picks on a tackle prospect that can sit behind Dunlap for a year and get coached up by Joe D.

Joe D's line concept appears to be one that's far more about continuity and chemistry/teamwork than requiring great talent (for God's sake, he managed to get some semblance out of a productive game out of Clary on Sunday!). Now if there's incredible value (or far superior value) on a LOT prospect by comparison to OLB prospects wherever we pick, then yes, take the value and don't look the gift horse in the mouth, but it's not as necessary - it's amazing what quality scheme can do.

In fact, I'd even go so far as to say that if the value is better in terms of a top-notch guard or center prospect in the 2nd (assuming an OLB came off the board in the 1st) was better than that of a legitimate LT prospect, then I'd say take the Guard - it's all about whatever boost the overall quality of the line the most.

wackywabbit wrote:
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
The LBC wrote:

I've been saying this for a while. But i'm not sure that there's any super athletic pass rushing types outside of Barr, and he may go top 5 (despite him being very raw, and struggles heavily getting off blocks). I guess possibly Mack, but i dont really see that many great edge rushers in this class. And Aaron Lynch has looked absolutely Horrible at USF.

Yet to be seen how he runs and what his advanced metric look like, but I think there's still potential in Jackson Jeffcoat, as well as guys like Trent Murphy and Deion Barnes.

wackywabbit wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: