Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Do the Lions Need a Shake-up
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WillParks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Do the Lions Need a Shake-up Reply with quote

After watching the Lions drop a very winnable game against Arizona I started thinking that maybe the Lions need a serious shake-up. I would love to see the Lions trade Willie Young. He is playing better this year but the hands-in-the-face penalty really hurt the team. Nate Burleson running a three-yard curl when we needed four yards was inexcusable from a veteran WR. I know Arizona has a good defense but the lack of offensive production in the second half was awful. Do circumstances warrant a change of Offensive Coordinators? What would you do to shake up this team?
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't anyone to hire right now that is an upgrade. Give this staff this season, and if they don't contend for the playoffs and cut down on the self destruction, start over.

Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
Rockcity

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to shake the hell out of Linehan.

If you ain't gonna use some of these guys I'd like to see some trades. This offseason they better cut a lot of this dead weight from top to bottom
ahoda

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently this staff didn't learn the first time from running the offense through 1 scat back isn't a good thing.
andjordand

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linehan is going to cost Schwartz and Mayhew their jobs if they don't rein his terrible play calling in. These cutesy swing passes to Bell, pettigrew and Burleson are no substitute for a between the tackles running game or forcing the ball downfield more than 10 yards. They can start by bringing back Matt willis and benching Bill Bentley and Willie Young.
DrRay11

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would possibly cut Michael Spurlock and call up Steven Miller. Steven Miller at least brings the potential of some scat playcalls as a backup and can also return. Spurlock is worthless as a receiver. In today's game where returns are becoming a once-a-game opportunity, give me the more flexible offensive player. I know Spurlock would be better for return coverage, but with Sam Martin routinely booming kickoffs out of the endzone, I'd bring up Miller and leave him off of return coverage units.

Cutting Linehan right now would be asinine. That's gotta be an offseason move. Yes, the offense and playcalling as they stand rely way too much on the Bush/Best type back. We should carry two of these in case of injury if we're going to stick with Linehan. The thing is, with Bush in the game, the offense does look beautiful. Gotta have more downfield throws, though.

SMH at Willie Young's hands to the face penalty. On the positive side, Ansah is looking like he could be a world-beater at DE down the road a bit. We really miss Fairley on the interior; Mosley doesn't generate much push. Slay getting beat for that touchdown deep also saddened me... he should be there over the top and pick that ball off, honestly.

Lastly, Jim Schwartz has to find a way to cut the team's penalties and also go for the throat, figuratively speaking. I never hear anything about him trying to account for penalties from any of the guys on the beat, and the time management/playcalls at the end of the first half yesterday were absolutely brutal.

The thing is, I can see this team winning 10 games with a healthy Bush and Fairley, even with the stupid penalties. Sadly, we're not prepared for either of their absences. 5-11 is probably what I'd cap us at without those two.

EDIT: Also, David Akers has shown a propensity for a while now to choke... Sad.

Last edited by DrRay11 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Jrugges

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said I'd of fired this staff "last year" now, because of the chaos that has happen under Schwartz. Lotta people want to give credit to this regime for bringing the Lions back to the playoffs and adding talent, and yes they have done that, but I fully believe more than half the fans from this forum could of had better drafts/signings than what Millen did. Anyone was going to look extremely good compared to Millen.

If we square the Lions up to the rest of the league they're right on par with TB, CLE, OAK, NYJ, BUF, MIA. Pretenders who will do nothing. And pretty much the rest of the league straight up drafts better than us.

Realistically you can't bring in anyone right now to help right the ship this season. And only a minor shake up sends the wrong message again to the fans since this staff has already drug it's feet about firing the special teams coordinator. I'm guessing there will be a whole new staff next season, especially if the penalties continue, and Lions finish below .500.

My favorite choices right now is Jay Gruden, Offensive Coordinator from the Bengals. He's done great work with the Bengals offense, able to sprinkle in role players effectively to help relieve pressure off the big names like A.J. Green. Gruden is young, and there's still a lot of football this year to be played but from what I've seen in two weeks I have a feeling it's very possible we're looking for a new coaching staff next offseason.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted Vanillihan gone three years ago

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
WillParks

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baltimore fired their Offensive Coordinator in the middle the season and it helped drive them to a Super Bowl. I think that removing Scott Linehan might be necessary and called for if these problems continue.

I firmly believe hat some under-performing players need to be benched. Brandon Pettigrew continues to play poorly. Play Scheffler and Fauria as receiving TEs and use LaAdrian Waddle as an extra blocker.

I firmly believe that Willie Young should be traded. He is giving us better regular season production but his dumb penalties are killing us. Pass-rushers are always in demand so someone should gives decent value in a trade.

They put Corey fuller on the practice squad but since we aren't getting consistent performances from our current WRs we might as well let him develop on the active roster.
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#overreaction

Cruz is one of best WR in the game

detfan782004 wrote:

(Eli) Manning has a new look offense and he has looked really good in it.

wut
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet. Let the season play out and if things are looking bad near the end, then we can really tell what should happen to this staff and roster.
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuhPLEX wrote:
#overreaction

So 4+ years of seeing the same mistakes made leading to wanting a change of coaches is an overreaction? How long should we wait, a decade?

Most coaches get 3 years. Schwartz & Co got the benefit of the doubt because he took over an overly egregious task. But we are now on the 5th year. It is time for changes to be seen. And although obviously there have been improvements over 0-16, we really had nowhere to go but up. If we are to take a positive step forward from here it seems clear to me that another coach is going to have to do it.
LionFanRoxy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
I wanted Vanillihan gone three years ago

A-frickin-men!

1. Bench Willie Young and Pettigrew the next game. Put them on inactive list.
2. Tell Linehan he'd better take advantage of the talent he has now, otherwise he won't have ANY talent.
3. Cut Akers and bring back Kickalicious. I'm tired of the mopey pants kicker already.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
#overreaction

So 4+ years of seeing the same mistakes made leading to wanting a change of coaches is an overreaction? How long should we wait, a decade?

Most coaches get 3 years. Schwartz & Co got the benefit of the doubt because he took over an overly egregious task. But we are now on the 5th year. It is time for changes to be seen. And although obviously there have been improvements over 0-16, we really had nowhere to go but up. If we are to take a positive step forward from here it seems clear to me that another coach is going to have to do it.

That is just it. When Best went down the offense suffered because it lacked another scat type back. Bush goes down and it suffers. They should know they need another scat type back as insurance. I am not saying they have to be Best/Bush caliber but once he went down the offense stalled. Either that or have a game plan if they do go down.

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
#overreaction

That is just it. When Best went down the offense suffered because it lacked another scat type back. Bush goes down and it suffers. They should know they need another scat type back as insurance. I am not saying they have to be Best/Bush caliber but once he went down the offense stalled. Either that or have a game plan if they do go down.

Well, I can't really agree/disagree there. It kind of appears you are right. But the bottom line is your entire offense or defense can't be entirely dependent on a single player. Especially not one like a scat back when the position is historically prone to injuries.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: