Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Knee-jerk reactions/thoughts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanSS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJ gets more off-tackle play calls than Battle does. CJ is just running north and south this year regardless. I can recall thinking at least twice in this game where CJ had a huge lane outside and went straight up the gut with the ball.
bzane

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deeluxx3 wrote:
Post-chiefs game

-Offensive playcalling in first half did us in

-Chris Johnson is NOT the same back that he was. We all know that. That said, running him up the gut behind 3 big underperformers in Levitre, Turner, and Warmack is ludicrous

-Fitzpatrick ughhhhhhhh

-Britt needs to just be benched

-Chris in space = good things. Get him the ball in space for once

-Defense got tired at the end, but gosh this D is tough

Hmmm- "3 big under performers in Levitre, Turner, and Warmack..."- is that true?

I don't get to to watch the Titans (nor much of any other team) and have to rely on this forum for information. I was under the impression that the Titans drafted Warmack higher than guards usually go in the first, and paid Levitre a big free-agent contract, in order to give Chris Johnson the best-possible blocking and allow him to be a star. Now, it would seem from the above, this is not happening-? I was also under the impression that Levitre was considered a sure-thing star from free-agency; and Warmack a can't-miss star from the draft.

What's going on?

Last edited by bzane on Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
-Hope-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warmack has been fine. Not spectacular or dominating, but certainly not bad. I'd like to see him get a bit better as the year goes along, and I think he will. He's pretty much been thrown into the fire against a who's who of elite defensive linemen. Watt, Wilkerson, Poe, etc...that's not fun.

Levitre has also been decent but not great, which is disappointing given his contract.

Turner has sucked.

I maintain, however, that the majority of our lack of success running the ball is due to poor playcalling in the run game.

Ken Whisenhunt is a terrible coach and needs to be fired.
TitanSS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Levitre, while you can't say he has been "bad", has in no way looked good considering the off season hype and the contract he was given. The same goes for Warmack. Going into the draft he was considered the most "sure-thing" player in the draft. He has looked good at times in run blocking, but at other times he looks like he was over hyped as well.

Turner has been outright awful the majority of the time. I'm hoping since the offensive line works as a unit that our two hyped up guards will look a lot better once someone at center is playing at a NFL caliber level, but that may just be me being optimistic.

I don't think we went wrong with Warmack, he should pick it up eventually, but I'm wondering if Levitre wasn't a bad deal. He got flat-out pancaked against the Jets.
Titans fan 617

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sorry i just cant blame the O-Line outside of maybe Rob Turner. In 4 quarters of football week in an week out your gonna get beat on certain plays. As a whole this O-line is very good. Locker has had plenty of time to throw in his games. Also despite the teams records we have played Pitt Houston San Diego Jets and Chiefs were all good defenses and Locker and the offense has done well against those teams. I just want to see CJ an Battle get more outside run calls an i bet if that happens the rest will fall in place for the run game.

Sig by daboyle250

TITANIA FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS

Ropati Pitoitua: 12 Tackles 11 Assist 2 Sack
titans0021

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSS wrote:
CJ gets more off-tackle play calls than Battle does. CJ is just running north and south this year regardless. I can recall thinking at least twice in this game where CJ had a huge lane outside and went straight up the gut with the ball.
I think it was the first run of the game yesterday. Everyone collapsed inside, nothing but green if he goes outside, instead he cuts inside for a two yard gain. That's the kind of run he never missed early in his career.
TitanSS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:
TitanSS wrote:
I think it was the first run of the game yesterday. Everyone collapsed inside, nothing but green if he goes outside, instead he cuts inside for a two yard gain. That's the kind of run he never missed early in his career.

Yep. I noticed the exact same play. You're not exaggerating at all when you say nothing but green. It looked like he had the edge easy, and if he did there was no one there.
titans0021

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSS wrote:
titans0021 wrote:
TitanSS wrote:

Yep. I noticed the exact same play. You're not exaggerating at all when you say nothing but green. It looked like he had the edge easy, and if he did there was no one there.
Was watching the game with a buddy. Probably spent the entire first quarter complaining about it. I mean, he goes to the edge, he's gone. The reason he used to break so many big runs is because he never missed opportunities like that. Used to just trust his quickness and speed to get him around the corner, regardless of where the hole was supposed to be. Now he seems complacent to just run whatever play is called and not even trying to create, which isn't going to work with the way our line has run-blocked thus far.
KingTitan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How good is our defense or how poor are these other teams defenses where the Jets can produce like they have yet look so putrid against us.
titans0021

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:
How good is our defense or how poor are these other teams defenses where the Jets can produce like they have yet look so putrid against us.
We came out, set the tone early. Geno was clearly shaken by the time the second quarter rolled around. Atlanta has let him build confidence and that's just asking for trouble.
Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:
TitanSS wrote:
titans0021 wrote:
TitanSS wrote:

Was watching the game with a buddy. Probably spent the entire first quarter complaining about it. I mean, he goes to the edge, he's gone. The reason he used to break so many big runs is because he never missed opportunities like that. Used to just trust his quickness and speed to get him around the corner, regardless of where the hole was supposed to be. Now he seems complacent to just run whatever play is called and not even trying to create, which isn't going to work with the way our line has run-blocked thus far.

Now I find this kinda unfair. A year ago when CJ was trying to create behind a crap o-line, people railed him for dancing to much in the backfield. Now he's getting North and South and at least trying to get what he can and fans still aren't happy.

**RIP Steve McNair**
titans0021

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now I find this kinda unfair. A year ago when CJ was trying to create behind a crap o-line, people railed him for dancing to much in the backfield. Now he's getting North and South and at least trying to get what he can and fans still aren't happy.
There's a difference between dancing and looking for and hitting cutback lanes. The problem is, his vision used to be so much better than it is now. Not saying that he has a ton of space these days, but he rarely cuts back. Part of that is our lack of intelligent run calls, but part of it is him simply missing lanes that open up.

But really, there has to be a medium between always dancing and always plowing forward and hoping for the best. He's a speed back, at least he used to try to create. And frankly, with Fitzpatrick, I'd rather see him go back to scanning for holes and trying to create big plays while also taking the occasional loss than falling forward for two yards and a cloud of dust only to set up 3rd and mediums for Fitz.
TitanSS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:
Quote:
There's a difference between dancing and looking for and hitting cutback lanes. The problem is, his vision used to be so much better than it is now. Not saying that he has a ton of space these days, but he rarely cuts back. Part of that is our lack of intelligent run calls, but part of it is him simply missing lanes that open up.

But really, there has to be a medium between always dancing and always plowing forward and hoping for the best. He's a speed back, at least he used to try to create. And frankly, with Fitzpatrick, I'd rather see him go back to scanning for holes and trying to create big plays while also taking the occasional loss than falling forward for two yards and a cloud of dust only to set up 3rd and mediums for Fitz.

On the play we are talking about there would have been zero dancing around at all. It was one cut to the outside and he's gone. There was literally no one there.

I'm excited to see what Shonn Greene will do for us.
titans0021

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I feel like I need to keep praising Michael Griffin. I've done more than my share of hating on him in the past, but the guy just looks like a completely different football player. While I'm willing to give Pollard some credit for allowing him to be more of a true free safety, that doesn't change the fact that in run support and when a receiver makes a play, he's actually making the tackles. Almost all of them. And with aggressiveness. Seriously, out of all the good things we've seen in these first five games, Griffin's ability to actually come up, take proper angles and finish the tackle may be the biggest/most impressive surprise.
lamont

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of "knee jerk reactions". Did anyone else hear the rumor that the Titans reached out to JaMarcus Russell late last week? I thought I was dreaming I heard that on TV Saturday night. Shocked Laughing

**The #1 reason the Titans are my favorite team is #9. -- R.I.P Steve "Air" McNair**
Shout out to NS922 on da sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: