Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jeff Matthews- QB- Cornell
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jshowers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCBrowns21 wrote:
Watched a couple games....not impressed. He looks like a slower Weeden.

Slower in what sense?
KamTrus20

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCBrowns21 wrote:

You are either making up faults to put down a prospect you do not like, watching the wrong guy, box score scouting and seeing all the sacks, or flat out lying through your teeth.

One of the most surprising things about him was how well he moved for a big guy. And his trigger is quick too.

Jamison on the sig
jshowers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KamTrus20 wrote:
JCBrowns21 wrote:

You are either making up faults to put down a prospect you do not like, watching the wrong guy, box score scouting and seeing all the sacks, or flat out lying through your teeth.

One of the most surprising things about him was how well he moved for a big guy. And his trigger is quick too.

Very quick release for someone who is 6'5'' with long arms. One of the more efficient guys in this class at getting the ball out quickly and decisively.
JCBrowns21

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:
KamTrus20 wrote:
JCBrowns21 wrote:

Very quick release for someone who is 6'5'' with long arms. One of the more efficient guys in this class at getting the ball out quickly and decisively.

Specifically watched his throws from the Princeton game this year and Yale game last year. In the Princeton game, he seemed slow with his progression and struggled with his pre-snap reads. He didn't get a lot of help from his line or receivers, but he still looked average to me, which equates to a 4-6 round pick in my eyes. He looked much better against Yale, but it was Yale. He's got a big arm and can be accurate when given time, but footwork seems sloppy when he's rushed. The slower Weeden comment was more about progressions than actual mobility, I should have been clearer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnpFHmHy66I#t=37

On a related note, I'm really warming up to David Fales from SDSU.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCBrowns21 wrote:
jshowers wrote:
KamTrus20 wrote:
JCBrowns21 wrote:

Specifically watched his throws from the Princeton game this year and Yale game last year. In the Princeton game, he seemed slow with his progression and struggled with his pre-snap reads. He didn't get a lot of help from his line or receivers, but he still looked average to me, which equates to a 4-6 round pick in my eyes. He looked much better against Yale, but it was Yale. He's got a big arm and can be accurate when given time, but footwork seems sloppy when he's rushed. The slower Weeden comment was more about progressions than actual mobility, I should have been clearer.

Well I have yet to see him this year, so I would have to take your word for it. It would be a regression from the season before. I also came away thinking a 3rd rounder and you say 4-6, so we are really not too far apart on our thoughts on Matthews.

Jamison on the sig
JCBrowns21

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KamTrus20 wrote:
JCBrowns21 wrote:
jshowers wrote:
KamTrus20 wrote:
JCBrowns21 wrote:

Well I have yet to see him this year, so I would have to take your word for it. It would be a regression from the season before. I also came away thinking a 3rd rounder and you say 4-6, so we are really not too far apart on our thoughts on Matthews.

Yea, I like him, just not overly impressed, especially in a QB class with so much potential. There are literally 10 other QBs that interest me more, which probably says more about the class and less of a negative reflection on Mathews. Haven't had time to watch as much college games as I'd like so he may be playing better than what I saw.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are literally ZERO QB's in this draft that intrigue me more than Mathews.

You shouldn't even use the Princeton game this year as an evaluation tool. His offensive line was atrociously poor. Guys all up in his face on nearly every play. Forced him to abandon the down field passing game and throw screens and check downs. He was also plagued by drops from his receivers like usual.
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:

You shouldn't even use the Princeton game this year as an evaluation tool. His offensive line was atrociously poor. Guys all up in his face on nearly every play. Forced him to abandon the down field passing game and throw screens and check downs. He was also plagued by drops from his receivers like usual.

Yeah, good luck with that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropkick_pride wrote:
jshowers wrote:

Yeah, good luck with that.

Didn't say he is the best QB prospect. He is the most intriguing for me, though.
Bonanza23

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I agree with jshowers. He is very intriguing.

He did have a bad game Sat. BUT it is extremely hard to evaluate him because I'm unfamiliar with the Ivy League. His O-line is extremely porous. Especially RT, you guys think our RT was bad 2 years ago, watch him. He has no weapons except Grant Gellatly. (who I kinda like as a possession receiver) Cornell is going the exact opposite of Princeton. They have a good defense and Cornells is horrid.

Proof that Princeton has a good defense was Cornell came out throwing nothing but outs. No Wrs open,no ground game, no O-line to help = no time to throw and a bad game.

He did have a couple of beautiful throws in the game that did wow me. Bottom line? I want to see him more. I would still draft him at the latest 2nd round. He WILL NOT last further.

Oh, a slower Weeden? Whah? Laughing

Thanks to ReggieCamp on the sig
JCBrowns21

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching him again against Dartmouth..... I'll stand by my initial thoughts.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCBrowns21 wrote:
Watching him again against Dartmouth..... I'll stand by my initial thoughts.

Live?
JCBrowns21

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On NBC Sports right now. 3rd Quarter 10 minutes to go. Cornell is down 21-0 to Dartmouth.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mathews will be playing at the East/West Shrine game. I will be tuning in fo sho.

Thanks to ReggieCamp on the sig
bulldog

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[url] http://www.draftbrowns.com/2013/12/2014-nfl-draft-prospect-profile-jeff-mathews/[/url]

Draftbrowns com did a really good article on him.

Says he's a 6-7 rounder. They are usually fairly close in the draft slotting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: