You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ty Montgomery WR Stanford
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alfalcone

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Ty Montgomery WR Stanford Reply with quote

Montgomery is an immensely physically talented wide receiver for Stanford off to a hot start this year. His combination of speed and physically stand out. Future 2015 first rounder.
Rich7sena

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Ty Montgomery WR Stanford Reply with quote

alfalcone wrote:
Montgomery is an immensely physically talented wide receiver for Stanford off to a hot start this year. His combination of speed and physically stand out. Future 2015 first rounder.

I don't see it. He has very questionable hands and lacks burst and lateral agility in my opinion. He does have very good speed, though. I'm basing this off of the past two seasons I've seen of him.
jshowers

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ty Montgomery WR Stanford Reply with quote

alfalcone wrote:

No, Montgomery will not be a first round draft pick. He is not "immensely physically talented" at all. I've seen him play many times in person and on TV and actually know more about him than the 6 receptions for 130 yards and 1 TD he posted today.

Alfalcone, I enjoy the fact that you bring up lesser known prospects for discussion, but I feel that you look at highlights/articles/box scores for whoever had a good game and then come on here and hype that prospect.
Arsene Wenger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good athlete. Work in progress as a receiver. He is not the most natural pass catcher. Hence his quiet sophomore year. Definitely has the physical tools to play on Sunday, but first round is a huge stretch at this point.
Rich7sena

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arsene Wenger wrote:
Very good athlete. Work in progress as a receiver. He is not the most natural pass catcher. Hence his quiet sophomore year. Definitely has the physical tools to play on Sunday, but first round is a huge stretch at this point.

I see his ceiling being what Darrius Heyward-Bey has become. He can play on Sunday's but he isn't a high upside guy. Like Heyward-Bey, he'll give maximum effort in the run game and show flashes of offensive production on a rare basis.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich7sena wrote:
Arsene Wenger wrote:

I see his ceiling being what Darrius Heyward-Bey has become. He can play on Sunday's but he isn't a high upside guy. Like Heyward-Bey, he'll give maximum effort in the run game and show flashes of offensive production on a rare basis.

I might be a little less inclined towards the DHB comparison, if only because the reasons for their lack of production are so profoundly different (DHB, for example, rarely produces because he can't track the deep ball to save his life and his hands are pretty middling-at-best). Montgomery rings more as Kevin Walter to me. There's a place for him in the NFL, but even if he manages to secure a starting spot at some point, unless he really gets on a coach's good side for his run-blocking and effort, he'll be constantly looked at by the front office as someone who "can be upgraded from".

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
norcalgsr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's somewhere between Chris Harper and Anquan Boldin. But closer to Harper.

Maybe James Jones.
Arsene Wenger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really seeing the Walter or Boldin/Harper comparisons. Walter was a good WR who lacked special athletic ability. Montgomery is the opposite. Very good athlete with spotty WR skills. He's mechanical and plays with low confidence.

He is not a huge hulking target like Harper or Boldin. He's more of a deep threat type of receiver compared to those guys. Moreover, he doesn't have the converted QB background of either and isn't nearly the natural football player that Boldin is.

I have been watching him since his freshman year. Seen him play live 3 times. He is actually pretty similar to former Stanford WR Chris Owusu. Also a little bit like Quincy Morgan in terms of being a plus athlete with minus skill.
alfalcone

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He played ok against Cal yesterday.
jshowers

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna have to rescind my comment that Montgomery isn't immensely physically talented. His freshman and sophomore years he just wasn't even close to the player he is this year.

I follow Stanford closely and did not see this breakout coming. But apparently he got healthy and was more focused than ever over the off-season and has been far more explosive this year.

That said, he's still pretty raw and more of an athlete than a wide receiver. His technique is lacking and he comes off the field quite a bit because there are certain blocks and routes that he can't execute.

Either way, lots of potential. Definitely needs to go back to school for Sr. year.
Macc_Aviv

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:
I'm gonna have to rescind my comment that Montgomery isn't immensely physically talented. His freshman and sophomore years he just wasn't even close to the player he is this year.

I follow Stanford closely and did not see this breakout coming. But apparently he got healthy and was more focused than ever over the off-season and has been far more explosive this year.

That said, he's still pretty raw and more of an athlete than a wide receiver. His technique is lacking and he comes off the field quite a bit because there are certain blocks and routes that he can't execute.

Either way, lots of potential. Definitely needs to go back to school for Sr. year.

Yeah, seeing him play in person last week his physical tools really jumped out. His route running needs some work, and I haven't seen enough to have an informed opinion on his hands. At the very least I think he carries value as a returner, but really think there is some upside there.
Pusha

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a better kick returner than he is Wide Receiver. He doesn't have the necessary skills to be a first-round WR.
Arsene Wenger

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:

He was always a great athlete.

Just playing with more confidence and decisiveness this year.

He still drops passes and lacks instincts as a pure pass catcher.
jshowers

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arsene Wenger wrote:
jshowers wrote:

He wasn't as explosive as a freshman or sophomore. Lacked burst coming out of his cuts, mainly. Always been fast in a straight line.

His body looks different too. He's leaner and more ripped, lost some unnecessary bulk it looks like.
Arsene Wenger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:
Arsene Wenger wrote:
jshowers wrote:

He wasn't as explosive as a freshman or sophomore. Lacked burst coming out of his cuts, mainly. Always been fast in a straight line.

His body looks different too. He's leaner and more ripped, lost some unnecessary bulk it looks like.

Eh, I don't think so. I was at the SJSU game last year (first game of Stanford's season) watching him run routes in warmups. Looked like an animal even back then. Clearly on another plane compared to the other WRs on the roster. May have added some weight over the last 12 months, but nothing too significant. Just getting better at applying his athletic talent to the game of football. Helps to be healthy too. He had some injury problems last year.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: