Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mack won't negotiate during season
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Dawgpoun8017


Joined: 14 Jan 2009
Posts: 12301
Location: Waterloo,NY
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Mack won't negotiate during season Reply with quote

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/browns-notebook-center-alex-mack-does-not-want-contract-situation-to-distract-knows-he-must-be-at-best-vs-ravens-haloti-ngata-1.428525


Alex Mack doesn't want to talk contracts during the season, thinks it will be distraction
_________________
2013 Joe Blackburn HOF Award Recipient
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cattleman78


Joined: 13 Oct 2005
Posts: 7004
Location: ohio
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my opinion but I think a player like Mack should have already been extended. He has played every game so far. I can see waiting on T.J. Ward because of his injury history.
_________________
browns and indian fan 7272


Adopted Brown Tashaun Gipson safety
vs. g.bay 7 tackles,2 asst. tackles and 1 pass defended
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ditchdigger


Joined: 09 Jan 2005
Posts: 16866
Location: Gahanna, OH
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, he was present for the Peyton Hillis fiasco, so he knows firsthand what kind of distraction it can be.

But after seeing what kind of emphasis this front office puts on the interior offensive line, I won't be the least bit shocked to see him walk next spring.
_________________

#FreeJoshGordon
Thomas5737 wrote:
In my sexy opinion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dawgpoun8017


Joined: 14 Jan 2009
Posts: 12301
Location: Waterloo,NY
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Eric wood deal I think will you've the FO a good view on where the contract will be. Wood was taken pretty much right after Mack
_________________
2013 Joe Blackburn HOF Award Recipient
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Entropy


Joined: 16 Jul 2012
Posts: 2736
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
Well, he was present for the Peyton Hillis fiasco, so he knows firsthand what kind of distraction it can be.

But after seeing what kind of emphasis this front office puts on the interior offensive line, I won't be the least bit shocked to see him walk next spring.


I think Mack is a very good center and should be resigned. I think it will be a valid criticism of the FO if we lose him because we did not make him a good enough offer.

That being said, if he chooses to not even negotiate OR if he ultimately chooses to accept another offer from a different team that is comparable to ours-- THAT will be more on him not wanting to be here.

As far as your opinion about 'emphasis':

1. Resources are limited with finances, available options, and options with a desire to play here (on a transitioning team)

2. The FO chose to place the highest initial priority on the defensive front 7--and you will need to demonstrate why that was a mistake before having a valid criticism that it SHOULD have been the interior OL

3. We had Pinkston, Lauvao, Greco, and Gilkey competing for 2 starting spots most of the offseason. Most fans think Greco is 'good enough'--so there were really 3 guys competing for ONE spot. How many MORE guys (and which ones, and at what cost) should they have brought in?

4. Weren't you one of the people criticizing the Browns for having so many OL on the final 53? How can you ALSO criticize them for lacking emphasis?

5. There is a rather long list of filled holes this offseason--yet some look at the cap space and feel there should have been more holes filled. I assert that using cap space to 'fill holes' is foolish and potentially destructive and instead cap space should be used to secure established good players THAT WANT TO BE HERE
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Entropy


Joined: 16 Jul 2012
Posts: 2736
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cattleman78 wrote:
Just my opinion but I think a player like Mack should have already been extended. He has played every game so far. I can see waiting on T.J. Ward because of his injury history.


I agree with this.

However, the window of opportunity they had to get the deal done before the season started was pretty narrow. And we don't know what Mack's demands might be.

Why wasn't he extended in the 2011 or 2012 offseason?

I also will say that other FOs have come in and extended who they thought were 'core players'--when they probably should have waited at least a year to be sure before making that commitment.

And finally, let's not forget about transition and franchise tags.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ditchdigger


Joined: 09 Jan 2005
Posts: 16866
Location: Gahanna, OH
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
Well, he was present for the Peyton Hillis fiasco, so he knows firsthand what kind of distraction it can be.

But after seeing what kind of emphasis this front office puts on the interior offensive line, I won't be the least bit shocked to see him walk next spring.


I think Mack is a very good center and should be resigned. I think it will be a valid criticism of the FO if we lose him because we did not make him a good enough offer.

That being said, if he chooses to not even negotiate OR if he ultimately chooses to accept another offer from a different team that is comparable to ours-- THAT will be more on him not wanting to be here.

As far as your opinion about 'emphasis':

1. Resources are limited with finances, available options, and options with a desire to play here (on a transitioning team)

2. The FO chose to place the highest initial priority on the defensive front 7--and you will need to demonstrate why that was a mistake before having a valid criticism that it SHOULD have been the interior OL

3. We had Pinkston, Lauvao, Greco, and Gilkey competing for 2 starting spots most of the offseason. Most fans think Greco is 'good enough'--so there were really 3 guys competing for ONE spot. How many MORE guys (and which ones, and at what cost) should they have brought in?

4. Weren't you one of the people criticizing the Browns for having so many OL on the final 53? How can you ALSO criticize them for lacking emphasis?

5. There is a rather long list of filled holes this offseason--yet some look at the cap space and feel there should have been more holes filled. I assert that using cap space to 'fill holes' is foolish and potentially destructive and instead cap space should be used to secure established good players THAT WANT TO BE HERE


Save your questions for someone else.
_________________

#FreeJoshGordon
Thomas5737 wrote:
In my sexy opinion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FLAbrownfan


Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Posts: 3816
Location: OCA-L.A. , Florida
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could go either way, I hope it's just that he really doesn't want to be a distraction and wants to be here long term- if we can show improvement I don't see him leaving - and if he wants to leave... Franchise tag???
_________________

R.I.P Crackburn, always in our hearts
adopt a Brown: Davone Bess - The best- one catch, one first down--- never mind person foul takes away! arrghhh Reg on the SIG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Entropy


Joined: 16 Jul 2012
Posts: 2736
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
Entropy wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
Well, he was present for the Peyton Hillis fiasco, so he knows firsthand what kind of distraction it can be.

But after seeing what kind of emphasis this front office puts on the interior offensive line, I won't be the least bit shocked to see him walk next spring.


I think Mack is a very good center and should be resigned. I think it will be a valid criticism of the FO if we lose him because we did not make him a good enough offer.

That being said, if he chooses to not even negotiate OR if he ultimately chooses to accept another offer from a different team that is comparable to ours-- THAT will be more on him not wanting to be here.

As far as your opinion about 'emphasis':

1. Resources are limited with finances, available options, and options with a desire to play here (on a transitioning team)

2. The FO chose to place the highest initial priority on the defensive front 7--and you will need to demonstrate why that was a mistake before having a valid criticism that it SHOULD have been the interior OL

3. We had Pinkston, Lauvao, Greco, and Gilkey competing for 2 starting spots most of the offseason. Most fans think Greco is 'good enough'--so there were really 3 guys competing for ONE spot. How many MORE guys (and which ones, and at what cost) should they have brought in?

4. Weren't you one of the people criticizing the Browns for having so many OL on the final 53? How can you ALSO criticize them for lacking emphasis?

5. There is a rather long list of filled holes this offseason--yet some look at the cap space and feel there should have been more holes filled. I assert that using cap space to 'fill holes' is foolish and potentially destructive and instead cap space should be used to secure established good players THAT WANT TO BE HERE


Save your questions for someone else.


The bolded are not questions--they were just things you seemed to have ignored just now.

I get it that you don't like to answer questions, you just like to make statements.

Of course, you also don't comment on the statements I made either--so that's a little confusing.

Also, you responded to say you're not going to respond--also confusing.

Oh, and you also ask a lot of questions. Don't know why you have such a problem with it. Also confusing.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ditchdigger


Joined: 09 Jan 2005
Posts: 16866
Location: Gahanna, OH
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense, I'd just rather remove my fingertips with a broken bottle than type out a response to any question or opinion of yours.

Back to football, my contention is that Mack will more than likely not be here next year because this front office just doesn't care about the interior of the offensive line. If they did, Mack would already have been extended and we would added more than a 7th rounder from a D3 school (as much as I like Gilkey, that's all he is at this point).
_________________

#FreeJoshGordon
Thomas5737 wrote:
In my sexy opinion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Entropy


Joined: 16 Jul 2012
Posts: 2736
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
No offense, I'd just rather remove my fingertips with a broken bottle than type out a response to any question or opinion of yours.

Back to football, my contention is that Mack will more than likely not be here next year because this front office just doesn't care about the interior of the offensive line. If they did, Mack would already have been extended and we would added more than a 7th rounder from a D3 school (as much as I like Gilkey, that's all he is at this point).


Well since there's no real reason to think any of that--I disagree.

No offense.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ditchdigger


Joined: 09 Jan 2005
Posts: 16866
Location: Gahanna, OH
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote


_________________

#FreeJoshGordon
Thomas5737 wrote:
In my sexy opinion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Entropy


Joined: 16 Jul 2012
Posts: 2736
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:



_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
buno67


Joined: 15 Mar 2007
Posts: 31373
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its idiotic to think the FO is going to let a centor like Mack walk because they didnt address the guard position. To me that coming off a little dramatic.

I didnt know we had to address every single position in one single offseason.

Everyone complains about the guard position now that we are down to our 3rd string guard. It doesnt matter who the Browns would of signing. Just because you bring in a FA meams they wont get hurt. In the preseason Lauvo was looking fine as the RG.

Sorry the Browns didnt really look at upgrading the 3rd string guard position.

We are complaining about guard play when we havent even had a chance to see our 1st string guard play a single snap yet
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
ditchdigger


Joined: 09 Jan 2005
Posts: 16866
Location: Gahanna, OH
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
I think its idiotic to think the FO is going to let a centor like Mack walk because they didnt address the guard position. To me that coming off a little dramatic.


Never said that, but I can see how someone could read it that way.

What I said was they don't appear to put an emphasis on the interior offensive line. They certainly don't appear to be ready to pay a Center over $6M/year, or they would have locked Mack up already.

If they do end up paying him that, which he's certainly worth on the market, I'll happily eat crow. I just don't see it.

FLAbrownfan wrote:
Franchise tag???


Offensive linemen, regardless of position, have the same franchise figure.

For 2013, that number is $9,828,000

Not. A. Chance.
_________________

#FreeJoshGordon
Thomas5737 wrote:
In my sexy opinion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group