Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Andy Dalton Stat Tracker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theJ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated.

Another mastery of a game plan by Gruden. One week he's calling screens and slants, the next he's calling shots 15-20 yards down the field. Seriously, if you watch the week 6 game, and then the week 8 game, you'd think it was a different system. No doubt defenses are confused right now.

I'm pumped for the outlook of this offense. If they keep defenses on their heels like this, the sky is the limit.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
theJ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One stat i like to look at for QB effectiveness if YPA. Reason why i like it: it's a simple, yet elegant efficiency statistic. The QB must both complete passes at a decent %, and also complete those passes for relatively long yardage. If the QB is above 7 YPA, they're doing a decent job keeping the offense on schedule and probably scoring some points. If they're above 8, they're doing very well, and anything 9/10 above is phenomenal Aaron Rodgers/Peyton Manning territory. League average was around 7.1 last year.

Through 2012 (2 years, 32 games), Andy Dalton had:
7-7.99 YPA - 4
8-8.99 YPA - 6
9+ YPA - 2

This year (8 games)
7-7.99 YPA - 1
8-8.99 YPA - 3
9+ YPA - 2

I credit a lot of this to Gruden's impressive game planning, and the emergence of a bevy of weapons (Marvin Jones, Mohammed Sanu, Eifert, Gresham to some degree, and Bernard). Love weapons that have been placed around this guy.

LondonBengal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
Updated.

Another mastery of a game plan by Gruden. One week he's calling screens and slants, the next he's calling shots 15-20 yards down the field. Seriously, if you watch the week 6 game, and then the week 8 game, you'd think it was a different system. No doubt defenses are confused right now.

I'm pumped for the outlook of this offense. If they keep defenses on their heels like this, the sky is the limit.

That's generally what the WCO is all about; balanced attack, take what the defence gives you; short passes to free up the run. This prevailing idea that you have to keep pumping it to AJ just doesn't work. Spread the wealth, attack the weaknesses, keep defences guessing. Jones got those 4TD's Sunday, largely because the Jets were more concerned about AJ.
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree. The reason Jones got all the TDs and the WRs were so open is that the offensive line played out of its mind. The Jets palyed a single high safety, and the Bengals countered by sending 4 and 5 WRs out into patterns. Since the Jets were unable to get even close to dalton, he had all the time he needed to find the first WR to break away.

Jones was a beast, but it was the o-line that set it all up, not double coverage on Green. Gruden out-Rexed Rex with schemes. there was one play where Cromartie was lined up on BJGE and Green was covered by a LB.
theJ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:
I disagree. The reason Jones got all the TDs and the WRs were so open is that the offensive line played out of its mind. The Jets palyed a single high safety, and the Bengals countered by sending 4 and 5 WRs out into patterns. Since the Jets were unable to get even close to dalton, he had all the time he needed to find the first WR to break away.

Jones was a beast, but it was the o-line that set it all up, not double coverage on Green. Gruden out-Rexed Rex with schemes. there was one play where Cromartie was lined up on BJGE and Green was covered by a LB.

I didn't really notice until the game was over, but no one really got close to Andy all day. I honestly don't remember him getting pressured. And it showed, because he was able to step into every throw and made some nice throws deep.

So yeah, i agree. Yesterday was all about scheme and execution. The defense was completely confused, and every player out there did exactly what he needed to do. And it worked out perfectly.

INbengalfan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
I didn't really notice until the game was over, but no one really got close to Andy all day. I honestly don't remember him getting pressured. And it showed, because he was able to step into every throw and made some nice throws deep.

So yeah, i agree. Yesterday was all about scheme and execution. The defense was completely confused, and every player out there did exactly what he needed to do. And it worked out perfectly.

There was literally only one play where they got pressure up the middle, and it was Wilkerson diving at Dalton's ankles. It was Andy's only off-target throw all day (I would call the INT extremely ill-advised) and he overthrew everyone by 10 yards.
futbudds

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:
theJ wrote:

There was literally only one play where they got pressure up the middle, and it was Wilkerson diving at Dalton's ankles. It was Andy's only off-target throw all day (I would call the INT extremely ill-advised) and he overthrew everyone by 10 yards.

He's looked great and I was very impressed with the third td to Marvin on the right side back shoulder where he wasn't able to step into it. The deep ball wasn't perfect yeasterday but it looked much better than the beginning of the year.
theJ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

futbudds wrote:
INbengalfan wrote:
theJ wrote:

He's looked great and I was very impressed with the third td to Marvin on the right side back shoulder where he wasn't able to step into it. The deep ball wasn't perfect yeasterday but it looked much better than the beginning of the year.

No one is perfect. If he can throw the deep ball that well every game, i'll be happy. They should have all been complete, if not for two drops.

futbudds

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
futbudds wrote:
INbengalfan wrote:
theJ wrote:

No one is perfect. If he can throw the deep ball that well every game, i'll be happy. They should have all been complete, if not for two drops.

Just nitpicking but the first one to AJ was underthrown but still catchable. Looks like his confidence is as much of a factor on the long ball as his arm.
Anonymous3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

futbudds wrote:
theJ wrote:
futbudds wrote:
INbengalfan wrote:
theJ wrote:

Just nitpicking but the first one to AJ was underthrown but still catchable. Looks like his confidence is as much of a factor on the long ball as his arm.

I'd say only about 4-5 CBs could have made the play on that ball in the NFL, and Leon Hall isn't even one of them. Slightly under thrown, but one of the most explosive plays on the ball I've ever seen. Put Milliner on AJ in that instance and it's a TD, even if it still hits AJ on his back hip.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get a chance to watch Sunday's game as I was out of town, but he has been much better the last couple of weeks.

I am cautiously optimistic, not reading too much into this because he has been good in short stretches before and reverted back to his same mistakes. Hopefully this is a big coming out party for him the rest of the way and he can do something special with this offense.
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

futbudds wrote:
Looks like his confidence is as much of a factor on the long ball as his arm.

......as is the ability to step into the throw, which you can only really do if the line can stall the rush long enough......

That was one of the surprises Sunday, just how well the line held up against that Jets 4th ranked D-Line.

Good game plan, as has been said previously......
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

futbudds wrote:
.......the first one to AJ was underthrown but still catchable.

Agree 'Fb', but also like 'J' suggested there were a couple of other perfect lookin deeper shots to AJ and MoSam that were dropped. It takes two to tango........
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing play calling and the O line dominated. Andy played fantastic, but as others have said, a lot of that has to do with the O line. They didnt open up many holes for the RBs to get through, but Andy had all day and tore up a solid defense.

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochocinco4pres wrote:
Andy played fantastic

...... (v BUF/DET/NYJ), best three game stretch by any QB in Bengals franchise history.......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: