Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

CJIB's Cornerback Breakdowns: @ Redskins
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RandyMossIsBoss

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: CJIB's Cornerback Breakdowns: @ Redskins Reply with quote

After overhauling our secondary and bringing in two new starters at CB, I thought I'd take an in depth look at the performances of our 4 primary CBs. So I went through the game footage and analyzed each and every coverage snap of Cary, Fletcher, Boykin and Poyer. Many of the information I recorded was in the mold of Cian Fahey's excellent CB breakdowns. Although unlike Cian, I'm also tracking zone coverage as well. Man coverage is much easier to track though and involves less subjectivity, so I'd definitely put more value into man coverage performance. First I'll explain how I'm analyzing the CBs...

Man Coverage

What counts?- All pass plays where the CB is in man coverage, including sacks, penalties, and scrambles, but excluding screens or any other quick throw where no routes were ran.

Failed Coverage- Any play where I deem the corner was beat by his man, regardless of if the ball was thrown to him or not. The situation does come in to play, for example a 5 yard completion allowed on 3rd & 10 would not be considered failed coverage if the CB was playing off him. An example of a failed man coverage from Monday night's game:

Here we see Bradley Fletcher is spun around in man by the WR's corner route, had RG3 had more time he would've had an easy completion for the first down there, but he instead checked it down to his FB. There was over 5 yards of space between the Fletcher and WR, which is far too much on an intermediate route and will result in failed coverage nearly every time. However, 5 yards of space between a CB and WR 50 yards downfield wouldn't guarantee a failed coverage.

Successful Coverage- Any play where I deem that the corner was in position to make a play on the ball and either force an incompletion or difficult catch, generally this is about arm length, but the gap widens the farther downfield the players are. Like failed coverage, the situation and circumstance matter. If a WR has multiple steps on a CB downfield because the CB was caught peaking at the QB or trying to jam the WR, but there is clear safety help for him and thus the WR is funneled into the safety, it likely will result in successful coverage for the CB as he knew what he could and could not do. A CB can have successful coverage even if he allows the reception, this would be apply if the QB throws a perfectly thrown ball or indefensible pass. An example of successful coverage:

Cary Williams is only 1 step behind Garcon here, and had RG3 thrown an accurate ball Cary would have been able to make a play on it. Thus this resulted in a successful coverage.

Shut Down- Any play where the opposing WR is completely blanketed, the odds are next to nothing that the QB could complete a pass to this WR. This category is more a sub-category as it falls under "successful coverage." So a CB can have 5 successful coverages, and just 1 shut down, but not vice versa. Generally a play will only be considered a shut down if the play was long enough to allow for the WR to complete his route and/or make his break. Example of a shut down:

Not only is Fletcher step for step with the WR here, but he has him pinned along the sidelines. Although it is not seen in the picture, the WR is about to attempt his break in what was likely a comeback route but was jammed up by Fletcher and unable to go through with his route.

Zone Coverage

What counts?- All pass plays where the CB is in zone coverage, including sacks, penalties, and scrambles, plays such as screens or quick throws will only be counted if the CB was clearly responsible for the flat. This doesn't happen often.

Failed Coverage- A play is deemed a fail coverage if an opposing receiver is open in their zone, this usually happens due to mental errors by the CB where they either play the wrong zone or leaves their zone wide open. Just like man coverage, situations matter.

Successful Coverage- A play is deemed a successful coverage if the CB plays the zone he is supposed to play as well as cover any receivers that are in their zone within arm length. Here lies the greatest difference between how I'm judging man and zone coverage, as it is much easier to get a successful coverage in zone than it is to get a successful coverage in man in my system. There are a handful of plays where a CB will be assigned a deep zone and the WRs all run short to intermediate routes. So essentially the CB is doing nothing but back pedaling these plays, although he is still attributed a successful coverage for doing his job.

Shutdown- Same as with man, just more rare due to it being zone and the CB not following the WR for very long.

Now that you get the gist of it, onto the breakdowns...

-#26 Cary Williams-

Overall Coverage
Qualifying Plays: 45
Successful Coverages: 39 (7 Shutdowns)
Failed Coverages: 6
Success Rate: 86.7%

Targets: 4
Completions: 0

Man Coverage
Qualifying Plays: 26
Successful Coverages: 21 (6 Shutdowns)
Failed Coverages: 5
Success Rate: 80.8%

Zone Coverage
Qualifying Plays: 19
Successful Coverages: 18 (1 Shutdown)
Failed Coverages: 1
Success Rate: 94.7%

Targets: 0

The Verdict
Cary impressed in his first game as an Eagle, was everything we expected. Smart, tough, savvy and provides a much needed veteran presence in our young secondary. Played almost exclusively at RCB, and spent the most time covering Pierre Garcon. While Cary is a big corner, he had no trouble with Garcon's speed. He was only beat a handful of times throughout the games, and most of these seemed to be plays where Cary was anticipating RG3 to scramble and let his receiver out of sight. His only major screw-up was a play where he was in a deep zone but began inching up as RG3 rolled left and allowed Garcon to get behind him along the sidelines. Luckily for Cary RG3 was sacked and wasn't looking in front of him. His best play was his INT, where he was playing off man and read the WRs corner route perfectly, thus jumping it and making the play. Cary was our best CB this game.

-#24 Bradley Fletcher-

Overall Coverage
Qualifying Plays: 43
Successful Coverages: 36 (5 Shutdowns)
Failed Coverages: 7
Success Rate: 83.7%

Targets: 3

Man Coverage
Qualifying Plays: 29
Successful Coverages: 23 (4 Shutdowns)
Success Rate: 79.3%

Zone Coverage
Qualifying Plays: 14
Successful Coverages: 13 (1 Shutdown)
Failed Coverages: 1
Success Rate: 92.9%

Targets: 0

The Verdict
Cary wasn't the only new Eagle CB to play a great game, as Bradley Fletcher put up an impressive performance himself. Primarily playing at the LCB spot, Fletcher was stout in both man and zone coverage and was especially great when covering against deep routes. Perhaps the most inspiring number for Fletcher from Monday Night wasn't his 0 completions allowed, but the fact that he committed 0 penalties. Fletcher was plagued in St. Louis by a tendency to play too physical and hold receivers, but in last week's game Fletcher wasn't called for any penalties, and I didn't see a single tug at a jersey. Fletcher will need to find a balance between being too physical and being too passive though, as he was beaten 5 times on corner and curl routes due to playing too far off his man. While he didn't allow any catches, he was granted two extra lives as receivers had 2 drops against him. Overall a very promising game from a very talented corner.

-#22 Brandon Boykin-

Overall Coverage
Qualifying Plays: 33
Successful Coverages: 26 (4 Shutdowns)
Failed Coverages: 7
Success Rate: 78.8%

Targets: 10
Completions: 6 (for 92 yards (16, 8, 12, 11, 18, 27))

Man Coverage
Qualifying Plays: 16
Successful Coverages: 13 (2 Shutdowns)
Failed Coverages: 3
Success Rate: 81.3%

Targets: 6
Completions: 2 (for 24 yards (16, Cool)

Zone Coverage
Qualifying Plays: 17
Successful Coverages: 13 (2 Shutdowns)
Failed Coverages: 4
Success Rate: 76.5%

Completions: 4 (for 68 yards (12, 11, 18, 27))

The Verdict
Brandon Boykin, the only returning corner who saw playing time from last season, had a very up and down game. He started off the game very well, even snatching an INT, but struggled late in the 1st and into the 2nd as the Eagles ran more and more zone plays. Boykin played in the slot for bout 60% of the game, played on the outside at both spots for the rest of the game. Boykin size wasn't a problem for him this game and he was able to follow around opposing receivers very fluidly, but this game he was held back by mental errors. Specifically when in the slot and asked to play zone, Boykin frequently got caught following a WR passing through his zone to the point that his zone was left wide open. By the 2nd half though, as other CBs were getting tired and/or hurt, Boykin began periodically moving to the outside and he managed to do very well there despite his size. Now he wasn't asked to jam receivers and was mainly playing deep zones when on the outside, but he did his job and played a major role in the lack of big plays from the Redskins late in the game (although the skins didn't attempt big plays because all we ran was soft zones, allowing RG3 to shred us on short routes.) While it wasn't necessarily a great performance from Boykin, he displayed that he has the talent to be a very good CB, just needs to learn his role better.

-#33 Jordan Poyer-

Overall Coverage
Qualifying Plays: 14
Successful Coverages: 8 (0 Shutdowns)
Success Rate: 57.1%

Targets: 7
Completions: 6 (for 52 yards, 1 TD (10T, 5, 10, 12, 9, 6))

Man Coverage
Qualifying Plays: 5
Successful Coverages: 3 (0 Shutdowns)
Failed Coverages: 2
Success Rate: 60%

Completions: 2 (for 15 yards, 1 TD (10T, 5))

Zone Coverage
Qualifying Plays: 9
Successful Coverages: 5 (0 Shutdowns)
Failed Coverages: 4
Success Rate: 55.6%

Completions: 4 (for 37 yards (10, 12, 9, 6))

The Verdict
I won't try to sugarcoat it. Jordan Poyer looked lost out there, plain and simple. On multiple occasions he clearly was in charge of the hook zone but would veer away from it when back pedaling thus allowing an easy completion for the QB. Whether this was him misunderstanding the play, or misjudging where he was on the field in relation to his zone, it was his fault. Poyer didn't see time until the 4th quarter, where we were using the nickel package almost exclusively and our DBs were likely tiring out from the Redskins long drives and Fletcher got hurt. Poyer was primarily covering the slot, and this clearly is not a good fit for him as he was too stiff and just not fast enough. Obviously Poyer's expectations shouldn't be very high considering he is a 7th round rookie, but the fact that we had to play him in the first place shows how dire our depth is. All I know is if we lose any of our starting CBs to injury, we'd be wise to find a replacement through trade or an FA rather than playing Poyer more. I'm not saying give up on him, but it's clear to me that he still has a long ways to go, and should not be playing the slot, ever.

Last edited by RandyMossIsBoss on Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Bleedin_Green36

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is awesome!

Cary balled out.

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cary was excellent in the game. The CB position has always intrigued me, because if you think about it, the whole position is based on getting beat. If you play CB, you're gonna get beat.

You're gonna play against people who are faster than you sometimes, quicker than you sometimes, bigger than you sometimes, taller than you sometimes, stronger than you sometimes... you get the point. And you will get beaten sometimes.

Good job so far, definitely took tons of effort. 80% is about where you'd expect a CB having a good game to be.

Cary certainly had a solid performance.

theuntouchable wrote:
Think about this phire. I am the real chow.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic post.

Hammertime52 wrote:
I laughed way too hard at this Laughing they talked about the Dane like Robert Downey Jr talked about The Hulk in The Avengers

"We have the Dallas forum"
"We have a Dane"
MJIII

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleedin_Green36 wrote:
This is awesome!

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Fantastic post.

this... phenomenal
Eagles_808

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post RMIB. I liked some of things I saw from our CBs on MNF. Hopefully we can get some pass rush to make things easier on them moving forward, as the 2nd half wasn't too promising.
babyatemydingo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, CeeJay.
Hammertime52

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome job CJIB. I didn't know Fletch played that well. Plus I'd rather have Poyer on the outside when a corner goes down than Boykin going outside . Like you said he just doesnt have the speed.

Bird Watch: Mychal Kendricks
Tackles: 53 Sacks: 3 FF: 2 Interceptions: 0
Phire

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think these upcoming weeks will be more telling of our outside corners. RG3 was in no shape to be passing anything outside or deep last week. When a QB isn't stepping into his throws, yeah, things get easy.

And in the 2nd half when RG3 was getting in a groove, he was just taking what we were giving him; short passes that kept the clock running.

theuntouchable wrote:
Think about this phire. I am the real chow.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.
Dr. Philly

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice review. Admitted that Cary played well, still skeptical of him.

simonwayne wrote:
LeBron has done for the NBA what Teen Mom has done for teenage pregnancies

#JDI
eaglesfan10

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Philly wrote:
Nice review. Admitted that Cary played well, still skeptical of him.

Still no reason to be.
AZ_Eaglesfan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand why everyone is so excited about the corners after this past weekend, but don't think that we are going to see performances like that every weak. Washington's receivers are average at best, and RGIII was woefully bad in the first half. My bet is that Cary and Co don't look nearly as good this coming weekend. I know Fletcher is out(He needs a nickname due to Cox), but my guess is that this D won't look that good against any of our upcoming opponents. The front 7 should hold up, but I have a feeling that if we don't get a pass rush Rivers and Peyton will swiss cheese this secondary.

And great work CJIB

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just made the bird watch very easy for me Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent analysis, I really hope Poyer steps it up tommorow though.
stevec0008

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great post to read. I want to see our CB's really step up and fix these lapses in coverage that are easy fixes by the end of next week. Week 4 we play Denver and Manning will see everyone of our faults, and expose it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: