Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Arr! Week 3: Th' Buccaneers walk th' plank
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
PoWww wrote:
I think not bringing back Woodhead was a cheap move on the Patriots part and I wouldn't mind having him on our team right now.
There was nothing cheap about not bringing back Woodhead. It was just the timing. The Chargers valued him enough that they made him a target early in free agency. Meanwhile, the Pats were busy dealing with Talib, Vollmer, Arrington, and Kelly, all while saving cap room to make a run at Emmanuel Sanders. This was also before they gained all of the cap room this year for Hernandez. It's cheap to say "You would help our team and we have the cap room, but we're not going to sign you." It is not cheap when it's "We have no idea what our cap situation will look like after talking to free agents of higher priority and we have a different player at that position that we're comfortable with."

Exactly this. Not to mention the emergence of Vereen down the stretch in 2012.

Adopt-a-Pat 2014: Robert Gronkowski TE
Rec: 8 Yards: 72 TDs: 1
jofos

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
PoWww wrote:
I think not bringing back Woodhead was a cheap move on the Patriots part and I wouldn't mind having him on our team right now.
There was nothing cheap about not bringing back Woodhead. It was just the timing. The Chargers valued him enough that they made him a target early in free agency. Meanwhile, the Pats were busy dealing with Talib, Vollmer, Arrington, and Kelly, all while saving cap room to make a run at Emmanuel Sanders. This was also before they gained all of the cap room this year for Hernandez. It's cheap to say "You would help our team and we have the cap room, but we're not going to sign you." It is not cheap when it's "We have no idea what our cap situation will look like after talking to free agents of higher priority and we have a different player at that position that we're comfortable with."

This is something that people seemed to forget about when they want to talk about the Patriots being cheap, they were expecting to have Hernandez. It is what it is, but if Hernandez were back the receiving situation wouldn't be that bad.
PoWww

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
PoWww wrote:

Quote:
Overall terms: 2 years, $3.5 million ($1 million guaranteed)
Signing bonus: $1 million
2013 base salary: $750,000 (non-guarnateed)
2014 base salary: $1.75 million (non-guaranteed)

That's a very fair deal and the Patriots easily could have afforded him. I know we were expecting Vereen to play a bigger role in our offense, not lose Hernandez situation, etc. but they should have brought him back. They missed on Leon Washington. Not bringing back Woodhead was one of the moves that surprised me this off season, even if it was a minor one.

^Deadpulse
TomRalph wrote:
Looking forward to a Top 10 pick this year.

Adopt a Patriot- Stevan Ridley
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PoWww wrote:
Sciz wrote:
PoWww wrote:

Quote:
Overall terms: 2 years, $3.5 million ($1 million guaranteed)
Signing bonus: $1 million
2013 base salary: $750,000 (non-guarnateed)
2014 base salary: $1.75 million (non-guaranteed)

That's a very fair deal and the Patriots easily could have afforded him. I know we were expecting Vereen to play a bigger role in our offense, not lose Hernandez situation, etc. but they should have brought him back. They missed on Leon Washington. Not bringing back Woodhead was one of the moves that surprised me this off season, even if it was a minor one.

Why are we assuming Woodhead wanted to return in (what would have likely been) a dramatically reduced role and not even a guaranteed roster spot?

It's easy to say "Pats being cheap" but it takes 2 to tango. I'm sure they were mildly interested in bringing him back on the cheap but there's no guarantee that Woodhead wouldn't have preferred San Diego even if the Pats offered the same deal.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Why are we assuming Woodhead wanted to return in (what would have likely been) a dramatically reduced role and not even a guaranteed roster spot?

It's easy to say "Pats being cheap" but it takes 2 to tango. I'm sure they were mildly interested in bringing him back on the cheap but there's no guarantee that Woodhead wouldn't have preferred San Diego even if the Pats offered the same deal.

Lets not forget that San Diego is really a great fit for Woodhead. Rivers likes to throw the ball to his RB as much as any quarterback in the league, and definitely more than Brady does. Plus he's got less competition for the role to boot, since Mathews gets hurt so much.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
TomRalph

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Vereen was healthy we would not be discussing Woodhead in the slightest.

Vereen is a marked improvement on Woodhead in all facets except pass blocking (which Vereen has shown a massive improvement in over the past couple of years).

Woodhead offers nothing that Vereen doesn't do equally as well, if not better.

Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola
Times Tom Brady has actively ignored throwing to Number 80:
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
goldfishwars wrote:
Because they've already had a full off-season under their belts, why would a week suddenly make all the difference? I do hope you're right and I am wrong by the way - it's just that making that jump against a good passing defense is a very tough ask. Either way, we're in uncharted territory when it comes to guys who aren't running the right routes to ones that suddenly 'get it'. Those players in the past just haven't got on the field.
They've been able to practice together, but this is their first time with film against a game-planning opponent. It's not a magical solution, but a great way to fix things is to be able watch things when they do go wrong.

Exactly this.

As I said in my post, actual regular season tape is WILDLY better to study. Not only of an opponent, but of yourself. Over the past 10 days KT and Dobson have probably watched every play they were targeted on or even some they werent 100 times over.

Sigs
Patriots Red Sox Celtics
Donut

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PoWww wrote:

Why? Washington was a cheaper backup option for Vereen. We all wanted to see Vereen over Woodhead at the end of last yr. Vereen imo has more ability and upside. I wanted him out there more than Woodhead. And Washingotn was fill in on STs where we needed him. Though I'm not ready to give up on Leon and I was talking to GB about hoping to see more Washington and Vereen together in the backfield this year. Unfortunately Leon was hurt and now Vereen is.
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that it means much, but Mike Reiss has projected Gronk as an inactive

Sigs
Patriots Red Sox Celtics
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darrelle Revis tells @AlbertBreer he's giving Bucs teammates tips to slow down Brady, Patriots offense

Quote:
Darrelle Revis spent the first six years of his NFL career with the New York Jets, where he was taught to dislike the New England Patriots.

"I think you get brainwashed being a New York Jet," Revis told NFL Media's Albert Breer this week. "You're supposed to hate the Patriots, and vice versa, if you're a Patriot, you're supposed to hate New York."

Now with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Revis said he's heading into Sunday's showdown with Tom Brady and the Patriots with the same gusto he did while wearing green. He also said his Bucs coaches have been peppering him with questions on how to slow down Brady.

"I've been helping as much as I can, just trying to make sure everybody's on the same page," Revis told Breer. "It's really simple: Tom doesn't have the chemistry that he did with some of the veteran receivers. You can see that a little bit, the young guys are trying to get acclimated and get used his fire and the way he runs his offense. We see that confusion a little. I've been helping the guys, telling them how (the Patriots) run their routes, the rub routes, and a bunch of other things."

Brady spoke glowingly of Revis earlier in the week, saying it was "ironic" to see the former Jet leave the division only to return to Foxboro in Week 3.

The Bucs' stout defense has the playmakers up front to pressure Brady. Dashon Goldson's suspension being overturned earlier in the week should also pay huge dividends for the Bucs' secondary.

When two All-Pro players like Revis and Brady match wits on the football field it's always an intriguing matchup.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000247863/article/darrelle-revis-prepping-buccaneers-mates-for-patriots
Tom Brady Tribute
Doctor Jack

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Blount will make a big play or 2 against his former team.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doctor Jack wrote:

And then punch Greg Schiano.
Dalton

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

17-14 Pats

Offensive Projections

Brady - 21/35 243 yd TD 2INT
Ridley - 22 rush 90 yds TD
Thompkins - 3 rec 67 yds TD
Edelman - 6 rec 50 yds

Another ugly game, but we still come out with the W. The defense holds the Bucs to 14 points despite the Patriots turning it over 3 times.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd consider a 5 yard rush from Blount a "big play" given how he's performed thus far in New England. Total waste of a roster spot. He'll probably have one highlight reel type run at some point and be a negative value player in most of the rest of his touches.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinjaZX6R wrote:
Doctor Jack wrote:

And then punch Greg Schiano.

Haha.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 9 of 39

Jump to: