Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Read option as we know it is dead
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: The Read option as we know it is dead Reply with quote

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/09/11/redskins-49ers-packers-read-option-dead/?xid=nl_siextra

Quote:
How would quarterback Robert Griffin III look in his return from major reconstructive knee surgery?

Would Washington put its second-year star at risk by continuing to run its vaunted read-option?

These questions were among the most asked by NFL fans entering the new season, but the latter remains unanswered following the Redskins’ 33-27 loss to the Eagles last Monday night. Philadelphia led by 19 at halftime and Washington committed three turnovers (including two picks by a rusty RG3), forcing head coach and offensive coordinator Mike and Kyle Shanahan to abandon the run.

We may not see Washington’s read-option in Week 2 either, not after the Packers took away the 49ers’ read-option last Sunday. Green Bay had its weak outside edge defender ambush quarterback Colin Kaepernick at the snap. If that defender was left unblocked, he had an unimpeded path to deliver a thundering hit. Consequently, the Niners used a true read-option on just a handful of plays. Kaepernick was drilled for a loss of seven yards and two yards on the two times he kept the ball; another time, running back Kendall Hunter was tackled for a loss of seven by an unblocked Clay Matthews, who was on his way to Kaepernick...

Last season, the unblocked edge defender was a read-option offense’s target for manipulation. Now that offenses will have to start blocking those edge defenders, inside linebackers and safeties will become the new targets. What this could mean is the read-option, which was originally thought to revolutionize the running game, will have its greatest impact on the passing game. Essentially, it could become a new form of play-action.
This is one great read. Do I think the read option is dead?

I'd say no, but is agree with him, they won't do it as much. They will use it as play action just with different motion to confuse the defense on who has the ball. Faking hand offs to the rb, faking WR sweeps off of the play action, then this will open up the passing lanes for qbs who use this.

I have to think that this year we will do more bootlegs though than the read option play action, our offense will continue to look more and more like the Broncos offense with Elway, Plummer and Cutler, the Texans offense with Schaub and how our offense looked with McNabb in 2010, but rg3 is more acturate than Plummer, Cutler and McNabb ever were.

I actually thought on Monday night that our offense looked like it did in 2010 when we had McNabb. We struggled to run the ball and because of that we didn't do much play action and the defense could just tee off on the Qb. And because our OL aren't good pass blockers, it caused RG3 to be inaccurate.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG

Last edited by turtle28 on Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
lavar703

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as Peter King refuses to use the Redskins name I will refuse to click on his articles...
daboyle250

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lavar703 wrote:
As long as Peter King refuses to use the Redskins name I will refuse to click on his articles...

It wasn't written by Peter King, it was written by Andy Benoit.

Tracker: 22 catches, 227 yards, 1 TD
lavar703

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daboyle250 wrote:
lavar703 wrote:

It wasn't written by Peter King, it was written by Andy Benoit.

And MMQB as a whole refuses to use the name. Again I will refuse to acknowledge their existence.
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lavar703 wrote:
why even write that?

Thanks for derailing the thread in the first response....

Twisted Evil

Now it's going to turn into a Redskins name change thread instead of about the read option and Rg3

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
lavar703

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
lavar703 wrote:
why even write that?

Twisted Evil

Now it's going to turn into a Redskins name change thread instead of about the read option and Rg3

Why even quote them? Not to mention King is basically the main guy from MMQB and worked to keep Monk out of the Hall.

Not to mention you post multiple threads that get one or two responses and this is the first one I've de-railed and my feelings are that I had a good reason to do so. I do apologize Turtle but I refuse to give MMQB a pass on this.
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lavar703 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
lavar703 wrote:
why even write that?

Twisted Evil

Why even quote them? Not to mention King is basically the main guy from MMQB and worked to keep Monk out of the Hall.

Not to mention you post multiple threads that get one or two responses and this is the first one I've de-railed and my feelings are that I had a good reason to do so. I do apologize Turtle but I refuse to give MMQB a pass on this.
To each their own but I just don't see the need in coming into topics and de-railing them before they really get started. We've done a good job this year I believe of staying on topic for at least the first page before the arguments get a little out of control.

And if you don't like the topic, just don't post in the thread. Is that really to hard to ask?

Are we really going to go through this multiple topics crap argument again?

I post information that I find out just like everyone else so that if someone in this forum or outside this forum wants Redskins info they can get it. I don't do it for myself, I do it so if any of you or any football fan in general want to know something it's in our forum. Just because there aren't responses on a topic doesn't mean it wasn't viewed. Look at the views, those mean hits for the footballsfuture website, which I'm sure webmaster Appreciates

My bad if I love the Redskins and love discussing them no matter what the topic, but I thought that's why we're here???

I don't start near the topics I used to, I try to put things into one of the topics we already have but when it doesn't fit with anything we have I start a new topic.

lavar703

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
lavar703 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
lavar703 wrote:
why even write that?

Twisted Evil

To each their own but I just don't see the need in coming into topics and de-railing them before they really get started. We've done a good job this year I believe of staying on topic for at least the first page before the arguments get a little out of control.

And if you don't like the topic, just don't post in the thread. Is that really to hard to ask?

Are we really going to go through this multiple topics crap argument again?

I post information that I find out just like everyone else so that if someone in this forum or outside this forum wants Redskins info they can get it. I don't do it for myself, I do it so if any of you or any football fan in general want to know something it's in our forum. Just because there aren't responses on a topic doesn't mean it wasn't viewed. Look at the views, those mean hits for the footballsfuture website, which I'm sure webmaster Appreciates

My bad if I love the Redskins and love discussing them no matter what the topic, but I thought that's why we're here???

I don't start near the topics I used to, I try to put things into one of the topics we already have but when it doesn't fit with anything we have I start a new topic.

You're such a drama queen.
MKnight82

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was one game. This article is very premature.

Thanks to mike23md for the sig

Adopt - a - Redskin
Bashaud Breeland - 20 tackles, 1 FF, 1 INT
Jordan Reed - 14 catches, 150 rec yards
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Wink Razz

DCRED

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey turtle don't worry about your threads getting de-railed unless you agree not to do it like in countless others Laughing

But really I didn't even read that article, I'm just going by what you said---- and it's what I have hoped All Along: almost...

I not only want to see more bootlegs and using RG3's mobility to provide space to throw (When we were thinking about the team possibly drafting him I hoped they would use him like Aaron Rodgers)

BUT I want to see that WIDE-OPEN Denver/San Fran Offense that stretches the field with 4-5 WR's and amazing creativity in the Passing game....

Then comes back the next week with a good matchup to pound the ball incessantly and Obliterate the other team by smashing them

A 3-Dimensional Offense if you will, not reliant on one phase of the game working, but able to do everything from Run 45 times a game to spread 5 Wide and dominate...
Slateman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dead? No. Will the Redskins use it like they used it last year? No.

Ultimately, until RGIII shows he can throw the ball consistently, opposing defenses are simply going to stuff the run.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
It was one game. This article is very premature.
Well SF and other teams barely ran the read option also.

Then, you had the Eagles run read option 19 times and Michael Vick took a beating, he was limping during the game.

I think the Read option concepts will remain like with the play action and such- like the skins used a lot last year and the Panthers, Seahawks, and 49ers use also but I don't think well see qbs run as much out of it.

I don't see any Qb running for 800 YDs like RG3 did last year.

I think at most qbs will run for 500-600 yds

turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
Hey turtle don't worry about your threads getting de-railed unless you agree not to do it like in countless others Laughing
no doubt we all do it, but I don't really remember doing it on the first post after the original poster posted and especially mentioning the name change reason, we just dont need to go in that direction in a thread again, imo. I know I've done it in the past but it was when we've discussed the topic countless times like a few years ago with the labor dispute or back with Haynesworth, McNabb or Campbell back in the day. Seemed like every second someone had a bad idea to post about the player or something bad they just heard about them.

Quote:
But really I didn't even read that article, I'm just going by what you said---- and it's what I have hoped All Along: almost...

I not only want to see more bootlegs and using RG3's mobility to provide space to throw (When we were thinking about the team possibly drafting him I hoped they would use him like Aaron Rodgers)
same here. Aaron Rodgers, Elway, Schaub, Plummer- Steve Young in his prime. And I think we're getting there. Rg3 actually throws better in the run from what I've seen. Currently he doesn't have great mechanics in the pocket- even last year. It's why I made the comment how our offense in the second have looked like 2010 and 2011 when we couldn't run the ball and McNabb and Grossman just dropped back behind a poor pass blocking OL and then our WRs couldn't get consistently open.

Quote:
BUT I want to see that WIDE-OPEN Denver/San Fran Offense that stretches the field with 4-5 WR's and amazing creativity in the Passing game....

Then comes back the next week with a good matchup to pound the ball incessantly and Obliterate the other team by smashing them

A 3-Dimensional Offense if you will, not reliant on one phase of the game working, but able to do everything from Run 45 times a game to spread 5 Wide and dominate...
I totally agree, I've been saying this since 2010. When we run that zone stretch play and then run play option and boot legs off of it, our wrs are wide open when that happens and the Qb can even run because he has an open lane.

Shanahan did mention that there were some open wrs that RG3 didn't see but he thinks he will find them in time (he didn't say rust) apparently that's a dirty word at Skins park for some reason but its clear that's what it was for the first three quarters for rg3.

I still don't understand the game plan last week. I thought it'd be like what we did to the saints week 1. Easy wr bubble screens, RB screens, TE screens, option routes for moss and the TEs to get RG3 in a good Rythm with easy throws early and spread out the defense. Then run the ball down their throats and take so deeper shots to Robinson and Hank. I'm disappointed they didn't match speed with speed last week. Robinson didn't seem to get much playingtime from what I saw.

I'm going to watch the game again tonight though.

DCRED

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:

I still don't understand the game plan last week. I thought it'd be like what we did to the saints week 1. Easy wr bubble screens, RB screens, TE screens, option routes for moss and the TEs to get RG3 in a good Rythm with easy throws early and spread out the defense. Then run the ball down their throats and take so deeper shots to Robinson and Hank. I'm disappointed they didn't match speed with speed last week. Robinson didn't seem to get much playingtime from what I saw.

I'm going to watch the game again tonight though.

I agree I didn't understand the gameplan either. Starting with that STUPID toss when we were backed up in the end zone. Who does that??? Well sorry we did...
The whole Offense looked like out-of sync bumblers and the playcalling was just as bad.

They had better get it straight in a hurry.... I expect a much better game @ Green Bay though...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: