Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

When to try and extend Jurrell Casey?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanLegend

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: When to try and extend Jurrell Casey? Reply with quote

Even if Casey didn't improve any off of last season, and just kept pace at the level he was playing, there's no doubt the Titans would want to sign him to an extension at some point. He's on year 3 of a 4 year deal, however he's "only" making $580,000 this year, and will "only" make $670,000 next year. However in week 1, he showed a burst in pass rush that we really hadn't seen from him yet. Assuming he keeps this level of play up in pass rush as well, he's not going to play for $670,000(especially when guys like Kendall Langford and Jonathan Babineaux are making 4.7+ million a year) next year. It would really be stupid for him to do so.

That's why I'm wondering if it would be a smart move to go ahead and extend him this season? Offer him something like a 25 million over 6 year extension? Reward him for performing at a high level despite not being paid like a top DT, yet still not be an outrageous contract for us.
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well under the new CBA, I don't think you can extend him until after his 3rd season. Not 100% sure though. I'd wait until the offseason tbh. If he has a good season, he'll get paid. We have alot of expiring contracts within the next 2 seasons and some guys could be up for new contracts.....

WR - Kenny Britt
DE - Keyunta Dawson
DE - Ripati Pitoitua
WR - Marc Mariani
WR - Michael Preston
WR - Damian Williams
DT - Antonio Johnson
RB - Jackie Battle
OT - Mike Otto
SS - Bernard Pollard
OG - Chris Spencer
RS - Darius Reynaud
C - Robert Turner
CB - Alterraun Verner
WR - Kevin Walter

MLB - Colin McCarthy
DT - Jurrell Casey
SLB - Akeem Ayers
DT - Karl Klug
FB - Collin Mooney
SLB - Patrick Bailey
OT - Michael Roos
OT - David Stewart
K - Rob Bironas
CB - Tommie Campbell
MLB - Moise Fokou
QB - Ryan Fitzpatrick
OT - Byron Stingily
P - Brett Kern
QB - Jake Locker
WR - Nate Washington
LS - Beau Brinkley
S - George Wilson

Need to start locking some guys up after this season.

Driver of the Brad Kaaya Hype Train
Adopt-A-Titan:
Bishop Sankey
DaQuan Jones
lamont

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait until after the season and see how he performs for 16+ games. Pouncey going down really helped him in this game. I want to see him perform against Myers this week and Harwick next week. Both of those guys are smallish OC, but they have crazy good technique. Especially Hardwick.

**The #1 reason the Titans are my favorite team is #9. -- R.I.P Steve "Air" McNair**
Shout out to NS922 on da sig
Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Titans gave him a 6 yr/ 25 million dollar extension, he'd probably laugh at it. Why would lock himself into a contract that would pay him WAAAAY below market value for the next 6 years. He know that when it comes time to extend that he will be breaking the bank if he continues this level of play. 25 million will likely be just the guaranteed money on a 6 year extension.

**RIP Steve McNair**
titanrick

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolateman78 wrote:
If the Titans gave him a 6 yr/ 25 million dollar extension, he'd probably laugh at it. Why would lock himself into a contract that would pay him WAAAAY below market value for the next 6 years. He know that when it comes time to extend that he will be breaking the bank if he continues this level of play. 25 million will likely be just the guaranteed money on a 6 year extension.

Yup. People try to speculate about ways to get young players on the cheap, but those players arent' stupid. If they are, the agents sure aren't. It's a good problem to have - Casey is starting to look and play like a top talent. So we have to pay him like one. My hunch is we'll be forced to extend him this offseason. He won't play next year for under a million.

Before I got married I had six theories about bringing up children; now I have six children and no theories. - John Wilmot
titansNvolsR#1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttitansfan4life wrote:
Well under the new CBA, I don't think you can extend him until after his 3rd season. Not 100% sure though. I'd wait until the offseason tbh. If he has a good season, he'll get paid. We have alot of expiring contracts within the next 2 seasons and some guys could be up for new contracts.....

WR - Kenny Britt
DE - Keyunta Dawson
DE - Ripati Pitoitua
WR - Marc Mariani
WR - Michael Preston
WR - Damian Williams
DT - Antonio Johnson
RB - Jackie Battle
OT - Mike Otto
SS - Bernard Pollard
OG - Chris Spencer
RS - Darius Reynaud
C - Robert Turner
CB - Alterraun Verner
WR - Kevin Walter

MLB - Colin McCarthy
DT - Jurrell Casey
SLB - Akeem Ayers
DT - Karl Klug
FB - Collin Mooney
SLB - Patrick Bailey
OT - Michael Roos
OT - David Stewart
K - Rob Bironas
CB - Tommie Campbell
MLB - Moise Fokou
QB - Ryan Fitzpatrick
OT - Byron Stingily
P - Brett Kern
QB - Jake Locker
WR - Nate Washington
LS - Beau Brinkley
S - George Wilson

Think those are the only guys that we absolutely have to keep. Obviously Jake depends on this year and I'm 50/50 on Nate. By the time his contract is up, he'll be up there in age I think.
VY-FTW

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titansNvolsR#1 wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:

WR - Kenny Britt
DE - Keyunta Dawson
DE - Ripati Pitoitua
WR - Marc Mariani
WR - Michael Preston
WR - Damian Williams
DT - Antonio Johnson
RB - Jackie Battle
OT - Mike Otto
SS - Bernard Pollard
OG - Chris Spencer
RS - Darius Reynaud
C - Robert Turner
CB - Alterraun Verner
WR - Kevin Walter

MLB - Colin McCarthy
DT - Jurrell Casey
SLB - Akeem Ayers
DT - Karl Klug
FB - Collin Mooney
SLB - Patrick Bailey
OT - Michael Roos
OT - David Stewart
K - Rob Bironas
CB - Tommie Campbell
MLB - Moise Fokou
QB - Ryan Fitzpatrick
OT - Byron Stingily
P - Brett Kern
QB - Jake Locker
WR - Nate Washington
LS - Beau Brinkley
S - George Wilson

Think those are the only guys that we absolutely have to keep. Obviously Jake depends on this year and I'm 50/50 on Nate. By the time his contract is up, he'll be up there in age I think.

Added a couple names to your list.

CalhounLambeau on the sig!

Adopt-A-Titan:
-Nate "The Great" Washington
Rec: 12 Yds: 160 TD: 0
-Ryan Succop
FG: 9/11 Long: 47
TitanLegend

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolateman78 wrote:

How much do you think Casey is worth? Wilfork is making 6.5 this year. 25 over 6 would put Casey at 4.1. Do you think he should get Atkins money? 55 over 6? Wilfork signed a 40 over 6 in 2010.

The way you're talking it seems as if you think he's going to beat out Atkins' contract. 25/6 would put him near the top 10 at his position as far as pay goes. Somewhere around 30/6 would put him in the top 10 I do believe.

We're not talking about signing a QB to an extension. It's a defensive tackle.
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanLegend wrote:
Chocolateman78 wrote:

How much do you think Casey is worth? Wilfork is making 6.5 this year. 25 over 6 would put Casey at 4.1. Do you think he should get Atkins money? 55 over 6? Wilfork signed a 40 over 6 in 2010.

The way you're talking it seems as if you think he's going to beat out Atkins' contract. 25/6 would put him near the top 10 at his position as far as pay goes. Somewhere around 30/6 would put him in the top 10 I do believe.

He won't get Atkins money but I could see close to it with a "Big" season. DT's/NT's etc. are more important than people think. A dominant one can change a whole D. If Casey continues his dominance through this season, no reason he can't get a deal close to Atkins. Casey would laugh at 6 year 25 Mil.

Adopt-A-Titan:
Bishop Sankey
DaQuan Jones
titanrick

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contracts are outdated before the ink is dry. So if Casey continues to improve, makes the Pro Bowl this year, keeps him image clean and generates some buzz, he will have a right to expect to be paid like the best DTs in the game. Does anyone really think Flacco is a better QB than Brady, Brees or Rodgers? Of course not. But his deal came up at the perfect time and deals tend to rise year after year as the salary cap does.

I don't know what we'll offer him or what we'll ultimately agree upon, but I can almost guarantee the unanimous reaction will be "That's too much money."

Before I got married I had six theories about bringing up children; now I have six children and no theories. - John Wilmot
Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanLegend wrote:
Chocolateman78 wrote:

No he probably won't get 25 mil guaranteed, but if he puts up an All Pro year this season then he's certainly going to want guaranteed money north of 18 million. And I imagine he's gonna look for closer to 6-7 mil a season (if not more) than 4.

And if the Titans won't pay it, he might find that or even more on the open market. His agents aren't stupid. If Casey puts up a season similar to Geno's, then guess whose contract they're gonna use as framework for Casey's extension? The one Geno Atkins just signed. People already think they are similar players. He's not gonna do the Titans any favors, even if they do agree to extend him before his rookie deal is up.

**RIP Steve McNair**
Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I don't see a scenario where we keep Kenny Britt beyond this year. I feel he's either going to under perform and we won't bother, or he'll live up to expectations and we won't match his demands. But with a number of guys coming up on D for extensions, I find it hard to find money to pay for Kenny. Especially considering Justin Hunter.

**RIP Steve McNair**
TwoToneBlue

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolateman78 wrote:
Also I don't see a scenario where we keep Kenny Britt beyond this year. I feel he's either going to under perform and we won't bother, or he'll live up to expectations and we won't match his demands. But with a number of guys coming up on D for extensions, I find it hard to find money to pay for Kenny. Especially considering Justin Hunter.

Agreed. And I'm sure there will be another team that would pay more.

Belichick likes his Rutgers players and they could certainly use the WR help.
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolateman78 wrote:

100% agreed. Although I could see tagging him.

Adopt-A-Titan:
Bishop Sankey
DaQuan Jones
Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Franchise tag for receivers is around 10 million. They Titans aren't doing that.

**RIP Steve McNair**

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: