Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Press Conference body language
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H2ThaIzzo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Press Conference body language Reply with quote

I don't know if these needs its own topic or not, but I couldn't think of another thread to just throw this into. How many people listened to our press conference right after the game and again on Monday? How many of those same people heard Coughlin and Tomlin's press conferences after their teams losses? Does it bother anyone else that, those two guys have no problem calling it how it is, saying it's unacceptable to play football they way they did, to call the team out for turning the ball over, not making enough plays, and our press conferences ever since Mangini are all "these guys battled, they gave their best effort" etc. I'm not asking nor expecting our staff to come out pointing fingers and blaming individuals, Tomlin and Coughlin both do a good job putting the TEAM together in their dissatisfaction, however, these guys are their coaches, they should be holding them to as high of a standard, if not higher than we are. It bothers me that because its Pittsburgh, and because its the Giants, that they have that pride and hate losing, but for our staff, and again, I've seen it from every staff since Mangini (didn't really watch anything other than games before that), they tell us they hate losing, but it's always in that "please don't be too upset that we lost, it's only one game" type tone, and it's always after they've told us how hard these guys "fought" and "battled".

Alright, there it is. Please tell me I'm not the only one

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so as part of being a coach you are suppose to call your players out to the media? to me that is a no. That kind of stuff should be done in house.

IMO you do not air your dirty laundry in front of the public

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of those coaches have multiple superb owls. Ours has zero and is in his first season. I don't see how the comparison can be made.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't even need to call your players out to the media. I just cannot stand that we seem to hate losing football games more than the organization does. Saying nobody likes to lose is a lot different than saying as a whole we played poorly and losing football games is not acceptable. I realize that our coach isnt either one of the guys I mentioned, but I'd much rather see him carry his emotions out as they do rather than take the route the past failures we've had do, and approach the media like they are teaching a group of youth kids how to play for the first time. I don't think any specific players need to be thrown under the bus, but hearing and knowing that the head coach of the team is just as pissed off as we are about losing a game would be nice. It wasn't just one game to me. It was the 9th opening season loss in a row for us, and we almost always get that first game of the year at home.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H2ThaIzzo wrote:
You don't even need to call your players out to the media. I just cannot stand that we seem to hate losing football games more than the organization does. Saying nobody likes to lose is a lot different than saying as a whole we played poorly and losing football games is not acceptable. I realize that our coach isnt either one of the guys I mentioned, but I'd much rather see him carry his emotions out as they do rather than take the route the past failures we've had do, and approach the media like they are teaching a group of youth kids how to play for the first time. I don't think any specific players need to be thrown under the bus, but hearing and knowing that the head coach of the team is just as pissed off as we are about losing a game would be nice. It wasn't just one game to me. It was the 9th opening season loss in a row for us, and we almost always get that first game of the year at home.

Basically agree with your OP and this. Tired of the politically correct nice speak. Nothing wrong with being angry and expressing it measuredly. I am not hearing angry and that bothers me, too.
EL Brownso

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe in airing dirty laundry. I hope he is angry in the locker room, but I don't think he needs to come out and be little anyone in public. What happens in the locker room, should stay in the locker room. F the media. Give them as little as you can.
bruceb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EL Brownso wrote:
I don't believe in airing dirty laundry. I hope he is angry in the locker room, but I don't think he needs to come out and be little anyone in public. What happens in the locker room, should stay in the locker room. F the media. Give them as little as you can.

Do you believe in feeding a fan base BS? Because it either is BS, which is one kind of problem, or a lack of anger, which is a bigger problem, imho.
Entropy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruceb wrote:
EL Brownso wrote:

Do you believe in feeding a fan base BS?

Of course not. The FO should tell everyone exactly why they make decisions and what they plan on doing for every game. They should all throw childish tantrums if things don't work out as expected, since that always helps.

We also should have access to their back accounts and health information.

That's really what makes great teams 'great' anyway--since it's so hard to do.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruceb wrote:
EL Brownso wrote:

Do you believe in feeding a fan base BS? Because it either is BS, which is one kind of problem, or a lack of anger, which is a bigger problem, imho.

Honestly, I think they should go stand in front of the mics and tell everyone what they want to hear. Belichick does it. He is super vague and just tells everyone what they want to hear. Awesome.

I don't go to work and tell everyone there what goes on at my house. It's nobody's business. Just like what happens in the locker room. This sport didn't get big because of press conferences, but because of the product on the field. I'm much more interested in the latter.
Entropy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EL Brownso wrote:
bruceb wrote:
EL Brownso wrote:

Honestly, I think they should go stand in front of the mics and tell everyone what they want to hear. Belichick does it. He is super vague and just tells everyone what they want to hear. Awesome.

I don't go to work and tell everyone there what goes on at my house. It's nobody's business. Just like what happens in the locker room. This sport didn't get big because of press conferences, but because of the product on the field. I'm much more interested in the latter.

Well said sir!

I wish I could have said it that way.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EL Brownso wrote:
bruceb wrote:
EL Brownso wrote:

Except they invite us into their house every Sunday for 17 weeks of the year. We get to see each Sunday exactly what goes on, and regardless what is said after the games, we see the performance that goes on in "the house". It's not a mystery. We aren't asking to know every locker room situation, every off field incident. I don't care about those things. What I care about is we lose Sunday, not just any Sunday, another home opener, and we ALL get to see the performances, and the feedback given is "we battled and fought hard". What was the reason for firing Mangini and Shurmur if we are going to just have the same guy coaching this team? I don't want a mentor for the team, I want a coach that's as passionate about winning football games as we the fans are. And when we get our butts kicked at home, I expect more than battled and fought. I've heard that after about every loss the last several seasons. "We can't drop passes. We can't take sacks. We need to make quicker, smarter decisions with the football. We have to make adjustments to the defense when the opponent makes adjustments to our play calling. Losing isn't acceptable, we were outperformed, outscored, and outcoached, and the next week of practice we are going to get back out there and make sure it doesn't happen again"

You may not feel that this is necessary, and that's perfectly fine, but I do, and I think that we deserve to know that losses are taken personal to the staff and team, and not just to the fans.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowering your expectations does not increase production, And neither does making excuses for poor play... Sadly, this is something that many with Cleveland sports have not yet figured out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropkick_pride wrote:
Lowering your expectations does not increase production, And neither does making excuses for poor play... Sadly, this is something that many with Cleveland sports have not yet figured out.

Nothing was worse than hearing him say in regards to Cousins game that "he is the best of what we have". So let's just say that as sadly as it is, he is the best of what we have, well then there's somebody, or multiple people that screwed the pooch with that decision, am I correct? If you're telling me that the best we have available is a guy that has always been bad, who just cost us at least seven points because of a penalty, had three other ones, and allowed the QB to be sacked or hit 4+ times, then someone did a terrible job of evaluating talent.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

H2ThaIzzo wrote:
EL Brownso wrote:
bruceb wrote:
EL Brownso wrote:

Except they invite us into their house every Sunday for 17 weeks of the year. We get to see each Sunday exactly what goes on, and regardless what is said after the games, we see the performance that goes on in "the house". It's not a mystery. We aren't asking to know every locker room situation, every off field incident. I don't care about those things. What I care about is we lose Sunday, not just any Sunday, another home opener, and we ALL get to see the performances, and the feedback given is "we battled and fought hard". What was the reason for firing Mangini and Shurmur if we are going to just have the same guy coaching this team? I don't want a mentor for the team, I want a coach that's as passionate about winning football games as we the fans are. And when we get our butts kicked at home, I expect more than battled and fought. I've heard that after about every loss the last several seasons. "We can't drop passes. We can't take sacks. We need to make quicker, smarter decisions with the football. We have to make adjustments to the defense when the opponent makes adjustments to our play calling. Losing isn't acceptable, we were outperformed, outscored, and outcoached, and the next week of practice we are going to get back out there and make sure it doesn't happen again"

You may not feel that this is necessary, and that's perfectly fine, but I do, and I think that we deserve to know that losses are taken personal to the staff and team, and not just to the fans.

Exactly, we see the results on the field. We make our own judgment, just as we do with everything else we see. We get pissed yell at the tv, throw stuff. No need for the coach to go stand in front of cameras and do the same thing. Honestly, I don't even watch the press conferences. They are a waste of time, because I have already seen the game. If someone got injured, I may watch it to find out their status but usually that is up in this forum before they can announce it anyway. I'm not looking for a temper filled presser to know our team sucked, I saw it and they played it. Anyone who played organized sports know they are being torn apart in the locker room. No need to make it a nationally televised Rex Ryan drama queen session.
buno67

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

H2ThaIzzo wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:

Nothing was worse than hearing him say in regards to Cousins game that "he is the best of what we have". So let's just say that as sadly as it is, he is the best of what we have, well then there's somebody, or multiple people that screwed the pooch with that decision, am I correct? If you're telling me that the best we have available is a guy that has always been bad, who just cost us at least seven points because of a penalty, had three other ones, and allowed the QB to be sacked or hit 4+ times, then someone did a terrible job of evaluating talent.

evaluating talent, how much more do you want from a 3rd string guard going against a legit front line? Im sorry if you look at the other NFL teams and they have to play a 3rd string guard, he is going to struggle across the board. I dont think it has anything to with evaluating talent. They just need their establish talent to return healthy.

Yes, they could of signed someone. by way release some who has a better future to sign a 3rd string guard because they are not going to release cousins to sign the new 3rd string guard because you still need depth.

My only hope is that, if the offensive line coach is any good at his job, he will alter the blocking schemes to help hide Cousins more. I am hoping with this week being a 3/4 scheme and is traditionally know to be an easier defense front for guards that Cousin will look better and by week 3 Lauvo will be ready to go.

Just some peoples exceptions of what kind of production we should be getting out of the RG right now is very skewed. There is no way we are going to sign someone who is going to play at a level of a starter or a 2nd stringer IMO because if they were available he would be signed by now. You cant expect a FA to come in and learn the playbook and blocking schemes. If you want to play them then we are limiting our playbook for a RG for godsake.

Yes I know the RG sucked, hopefully the OL coach pulled Cousins head out of his ass with his boot and Cousin comes this week playing for a little bit more pride

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: